Pages:
Author

Topic: Which of these bitcoin units do you NOT want to use? - page 4. (Read 7229 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Usage of “bits = 100 satoshis” still gives me headaches.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
i want to see them all used!

legendary
Activity: 3934
Merit: 1248
Owner at AltQuick.com
Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

Why call .1btc different than what it is?!

The system is in need of a unit between the BTC and satoshi. BTC are very big and will only get bigger. A satoshi is VERY small. Imagine if in the US fiat currency only had $400 bills and pennies, it would be cumbersome to use.

Imagine if US fiat was digital currency and there was no bills.  You wouldn't call 1 dollar a Dol and 100 dollars a Lar. You'd call them $1 and $100 Tongue

I will say I like Bits more than some of the other options.

No, they would call a Dollar a Dollar and a Cent a Cent

With bitcoins current setup the value is going to be so high in 5-10 years only the wealthy will use the term "a bitcoin" when doing transactions. Dealing in only Satoshis for everything is not the best option for bitcoin. Using a term for a millionth of a bitcoin allows us to drop 2 decimal places and make it more user friendly for the non tech savvy public.

eg.
Used bike for sale 365 bits.
Used bike for sale 36500 satoshis.
Used bike for sale .00365000 bitcoin

Whatever we got to do to sell it to the public I guess Tongue I'm not complaining! If it polls well with the non-adaptors... fuck it, lets push it.
Activity: 321
Merit: 250
Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

The system is in need of a unit between the BTC and satoshi. BTC are very big and will only get bigger. A satoshi is VERY small. Imagine if in the US fiat currency only had $400 bills and pennies, it would be cumbersome to use.

Imagine if US fiat was digital currency and there was no bills.  You wouldn't call 1 dollar a Dol and 100 dollars a Lar. You'd call them $1 and $100 Tongue

No, they would call a Dollar a Dollar and a Cent a Cent

With bitcoins current setup the value is going to be so high in 5-10 years only the wealthy will use the term "a bitcoin" when doing transactions. Dealing in only Satoshis for everything is not the best option for bitcoin because it is so small. Using a term for a millionth of a bitcoin allows us to drop 2 decimal places and make it more user friendly for the non tech savvy public. Satoshis will still be usefull in places like third world countries and tipping.

eg.
Used bike for sale 365 bits.
Used bike for sale 36500 satoshis.
Used bike for sale .00365000 bitcoin
legendary
Owner at AltQuick.com
Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

Activity: 321
Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

Activity: 392
Bitcoin and mbtc is only what i use. Learned mbtc while counting the chips in online poker games lol they all talk in mbtc there.
 µBTC  and uBTC are ankward.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Voted. I prefer BTC and Satoshi.

This is what I use too.  No need for intermediate units, people can easily understand BTC enough and once you spend some time around BTC satoshi makes a lot of sense too.  The other units just seem to confuse things and seem to often be used in a questionable way.
µBTC / uBTC is idiotic.

i like bits.

(and a satoshi is still a satoshi  Wink )

Obviously the SI system is idiotic. That's why nobody in the world uses it.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
Hi guys,

I have NO PROBLEM using ANY of the mentioned BTC units,
so if you DO NOT wanna use yours feel free to send it to me  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

PS: WTF is with posts like this?

If you have trouble understanding what YOU have at hand use this:

var currentPrice:Number = x; // where x means the return value of your exchange API*

var coinsToSell:Number = o; // where o means what you want to sell

function whatsThePrice(x:Number, o:Number):Number{

// the price is:
   var result:Number;

result = o*x;

return result;  

}

If the above is too hard to understand then:
If you wanna sell 0.23555489BTC and the price now is 480$ let's say you get:   0.23555489 * 480 = $113.066 (rounded)

So what you are asking (IF NOT ALREADY) is very easily implemented in any software.

*the exchange value depends on your exchange.

EDIT: In fact the above function will work with: C, C++, Java, JS, AS and some others that I am probably not aware of.

What else do you want?

Do note that some languages prefer the term "double", bu tthe principle is the same Smiley

EDIT 2: Sorry, I was just asked in PM how does my code work, so I thought I post here just in case anyone else wants to know.

You are basically asking the function to perform the calculation for you:

example: I have 3 BTC for sale and want a good price

heres how it goes (simple):
I first receive the current going price from my exchange - my case Bitstamp - for example reasons lets say I got a return of $383.
If that is the price I want I send a call function with: 

var whatIgetNow:Number = whatsThePrice(3, 383); // normally BOTH numbers would have been replaced by variables according to schedule)

the return value would be: $1149     -   3*383 = 1149

That is the simple use for it, however you could expand it to a bot if you wanted to....

example:

if(x==500){

//sell with profit

}else{
//HODL!!!!

}

I could easily say DO NOT sell if under this much by going:

if(x<250){

//HODL!

}else{

//it's all good for trading IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!

}

There is much more you can do with it, my question is that WHY do people spend more time whining about things than getting things done?

PS: To all the "gurus" out there, this is just an example of VERY simple ways of getting things done  Kiss
So, yeah I know, no need for you to say anything  Wink
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
I vote for BTC Grin
Activity: 504

I can't vote, but I agree BTC and Satoshi. Keep it simple.

I would not want to use these 3 equally:  µBTC / uBTC, bit, mBTC (was there even an option for people to vote all of those at the same time?)
Activity: 700
If you think you know me.. Think again
I would prefer that we stick to mbtc, btc and satoshi. They are simple and don't overcomplicate things when we move onto bits and ubits.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I only unit i understand so far is mbtc but people are using bits a lot these days.
Activity: 322
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

Cheesy
Voting is about what you hate, not about what you prefer!  Wink

I know, I voted for Bits, which I don't want to use, was only commenting on what I prefer. Pls, don't assume things you don't know.

I don't suppose anything, Your post made only me laugh. I didn't see the point between Voted and I bythewhile.
Nevertheless, Thank You for making me laugh!  Wink
Activity: 53
Merit: 0

Cheesy
Voting is about what you hate, not about what you prefer!  Wink

I know, I voted for Bits, which I don't want to use, was only commenting on what I prefer. Pls, don't assume things you don't know.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
Wow the result for 'bit' is most interesting Grin.
legendary
Owner at AltQuick.com
Bits are retarded.

Bitcoins and satoshis.

Activity: 322
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

Cheesy
Voting is about what you hate, not about what you prefer!  Wink
Pages:
Jump to: