Pages:
Author

Topic: Which online wallet for bitcoin is safer? - page 2. (Read 1459 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1031
its hard to say a online walled is safe but the trusted ones are:

Blockchain.info, cryptonator.com and freebitco.in
All working since many years now and i trust them becourse iam also using them now since years....

regards
Activity: 2828
Merit: 767
All online wallets are so-called hot wallets, and unfortunately, they’re not the safest of all.

Why?

For one, they’re centralized. It doesn’t really make sense for crypto-enthusiasts to promote the hype of decentralization and then storing large amounts of digital cash on a centralized online wallet.

Secondly, like any other website, they’re prone to be hacked. If money is involved, that’s usually good enough reason to try to compromise the security. And if funds can be transferred out to an anonymous address without the possibility or reversing the transaction, that’s even more of a reason to hack.

Solution

There’s not much you can do. Every one has to use a hot wallet every now and then. However, they’re not meant to store large amounts of coins for extended period of time.

#1 - most secure method

It depends on an individual, but I like to think that the most secure way of storing your large amounts of coins is a paper wallet.

You can make a few copies of it, laminate it so the paper doesn’t deteriorate over time, and lock it in a safe, bank or dedicated security deposit box.

However, the best option is to combine both the method #1 and #2.

This way you have access to your coins on a short notice (if you decide to lock away your paper wallets a few miles away from you in a deposit box) because you are in possession of your hardware wallet.

And if you lose it, then you can always revert back to your backup paper wallets.

#2 - even better method

There are certain hardware wallets that are way more secure than the above two methods. For example, a Ledger Hardware Wallet will store your coins securely, because it’s not connected to the internet, therefore, it can’t be hacked.

The downside to hardware wallets is that you can misplace it and then ultimately lose it. Once lost, given the fact that you haven’t written down your private keys somewhere say, you have no access to your coins.

The upside is that these hardware wallets are nearly indestructible, so you not need to worry about breaking them.

#3 - a bit more secure method

Desktop wallets are considered to be more secure than hot wallets. The key word here is considered. That’s because it depends on your level of understanding how secure you can make your computer to be.

If you make it really difficult for a hacker or malicious malware to penetrate your computer, then sure - on paper it is more secure.

In reality, the vast majority of people think that one antivirus software and a system firewall are enough to prevent any security breaches.

It’s probably best to get extra education on security before one decides to store a lot of coins on one’s desktop.

#4 - least secure method

You can engage a 2-step verification process for most hot wallets and use Google Authenticator or Authy to generate access codes. Whilst this isn’t a solution, it puts another layer of security and makes it tougher to breach.

Although, sometimes hackers aren’t the problem. What if the hot wallet company goes bust or they lock you out of your account preventing you from accessing your funds?

Hot wallets are the least secure methods of storing your coins.

Summary

As you can see, it all depends on you and the amounts of coins you plan on storing. It might sound scary, but this is the reality. It’s best to be safe and take that extra step than to be sorry.

Good luck!

Here every people in this forum already knows that bitcoin can be saved in what are all the wallet. I do not know the push this thread up unwantedly. You know there are few people like this keep on doing when explaining this do not bump the thread.

I hope post mine will stop the no more unwanted posts on this thread dude. If possible. op please lock this thread or delete dude.
You cant really stop people on bumping out this thread as long its not being locked nor being deleted replies would really come and repeating the same answers all over again.There are already lots of similar threads towards this question about safe wallet for bitcoin.There are lots of options either for long term holds or shorter/active ones.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 625
You cant guarantee safety of a wallet if you use and hodl bitcoin on the same computer but as far as I know blockchain.info is among the well known online wallets and you could start from there.
Yes blockchain.info is well known but it doesn't give you any private key but only mnemonic words when you forgot your login details.

There are various of online wallets that you can use https://bitcoin.org/en/wallets/web/

And for the list of all the wallets that you can trust, https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
Activity: 581
Merit: 108
You cant guarantee safety of a wallet if you use and hodl bitcoin on the same computer but as far as I know blockchain.info is among the well known online wallets and you could start from there.
Activity: 924
Merit: 512
All online wallets are so-called hot wallets, and unfortunately, they’re not the safest of all.

Why?

For one, they’re centralized. It doesn’t really make sense for crypto-enthusiasts to promote the hype of decentralization and then storing large amounts of digital cash on a centralized online wallet.

Secondly, like any other website, they’re prone to be hacked. If money is involved, that’s usually good enough reason to try to compromise the security. And if funds can be transferred out to an anonymous address without the possibility or reversing the transaction, that’s even more of a reason to hack.

Solution

There’s not much you can do. Every one has to use a hot wallet every now and then. However, they’re not meant to store large amounts of coins for extended period of time.

#1 - most secure method

It depends on an individual, but I like to think that the most secure way of storing your large amounts of coins is a paper wallet.

You can make a few copies of it, laminate it so the paper doesn’t deteriorate over time, and lock it in a safe, bank or dedicated security deposit box.

This way you have access to your coins on a short notice (if you decide to lock away your paper wallets a few miles away from you in a deposit box) because you are in possession of your hardware wallet.

And if you lose it, then you can always revert back to your backup paper wallets.

#2 - even better method

There are certain hardware wallets that are way more secure than the above two methods. For example, a Ledger Hardware Wallet will store your coins securely, because it’s not connected to the internet, therefore, it can’t be hacked.

The downside to hardware wallets is that you can misplace it and then ultimately lose it. Once lost, given the fact that you haven’t written down your private keys somewhere say, you have no access to your coins.

The upside is that these hardware wallets are nearly indestructible, so you not need to worry about breaking them.

Desktop wallets are considered to be more secure than hot wallets. The key word here is considered. That’s because it depends on your level of understanding how secure you can make your computer to be.

If you make it really difficult for a hacker or malicious malware to penetrate your computer, then sure - on paper it is more secure.

In reality, the vast majority of people think that one antivirus software and a system firewall are enough to prevent any security breaches.

It’s probably best to get extra education on security before one decides to store a lot of coins on one’s desktop.

#4 - least secure method

You can engage a 2-step verification process for most hot wallets and use Google Authenticator or Authy to generate access codes. Whilst this isn’t a solution, it puts another layer of security and makes it tougher to breach.

Although, sometimes hackers aren’t the problem. What if the hot wallet company goes bust or they lock you out of your account preventing you from accessing your funds?

Summary

As you can see, it all depends on you and the amounts of coins you plan on storing. It might sound scary, but this is the reality. It’s best to be safe and take that extra step than to be sorry.

Good luck!

Here every people in this forum already knows that bitcoin can be saved in what are all the wallet. I do not know the push this thread up unwantedly. You know there are few people like this keep on doing when explaining this do not bump the thread.

I hope post mine will stop the no more unwanted posts on this thread dude. If possible. op please lock this thread or delete dude.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0

Why?

Solution

#1 - most secure method

#2 - even better method

#4 - least secure method

Summary

Good luck!
Activity: 2408
Merit: 564
February 13, 2018, 03:22:51 AM
For me, I am using coins.ph as my online wallet. For me, it is safer. Why? Because even it is an application installed in your mobile phone, it is still have a pass code before it can be viewed by the owner, and additionally it is very convenient to use.
Do you think having a passcode before entering into the wallet is safe for you funds? Roll Eyes

No online wallets are safe to use because they don't have private access so the companies are controlling our fund like what banks are doing to our fiat savings.So they can do what they want and the main thread of online wallet is getting hacked now a days.SO we need to store our bitcoins in wallet which provides private key access.Electrum is one of the best wallet for bitcoin.
He don't know that there are cases that even with those passcode's, passwords or any type of security can be breached due to the system's weakness. And he don't understand once that coins.ph is a victim of breaching and there are hackers who went through their system, all of their funds will be stolen due to the back end attacking and even they have those type of securities they are not exempted once the hot wallet where all the balance of their users are gathered will be stolen. I would have a big trust to a desktop wallet that is allowing me to hold my private keys and the same goes with hardware wallet.

As an addition, you can also add a google authenticator so that your funds will be also safe if you will become a victim of phishing.
Activity: 826
Merit: 518
February 10, 2018, 08:14:06 AM
For me, I am using coins.ph as my online wallet. For me, it is safer. Why? Because even it is an application installed in your mobile phone, it is still have a pass code before it can be viewed by the owner, and additionally it is very convenient to use.
Do you think having a passcode before entering into the wallet is safe for you funds? Roll Eyes

No online wallets are safe to use because they don't have private access so the companies are controlling our fund like what banks are doing to our fiat savings.So they can do what they want and the main thread of online wallet is getting hacked now a days.SO we need to store our bitcoins in wallet which provides private key access.Electrum is one of the best wallet for bitcoin.
Activity: 128
Merit: 1
February 10, 2018, 07:24:25 AM
Electrum is not very user-friendly for newbies...

What is wrong with someone learning the more difficult way of operating a wallet and performing transactions correctly from the start?

...Blockchain.info is by far the easiest web wallet to use.

The first thread I went to for information about bitcoin wallets, not alt coins, had a fairly strong warning against using  the blockchain.info wallet. There was a rebuttal, but the person insisted... I cannot really speak for the use of that wallet, but just to relay this from a 'pinned' message. Perhaps issues have been fixed.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/read-about-blockchaininfos-web-wallet-and-stuck-transactions-1914800
Activity: 294
February 10, 2018, 03:47:40 AM
Activity: 1022
Merit: 564
Need some spare btc for a new PC
January 09, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
I've been using blockchain.info since I've started and that was about 4-5 years ago and never had any problems whatsoever. Confirmation by email if the IP address is changed and 2FA. Your wallet is safe as much as you're careful about it, no wallet is absolute with security.
Activity: 57
January 09, 2018, 08:07:36 AM
The safest online one is blockchain.info but the easiest to use is coinbase
Activity: 2436
Merit: 324
January 08, 2018, 06:02:24 PM
Any web wallet is good as long as you can benefit from it and a good wallet is that has an exchanges in it. It is convenient to use specially if this exchanges wallet is available to your place for any withdrawal of your funds. Yet you can try any wallet you like as a beginners wallet e.g. blockchain, when i am a newbie before i've used blockchain as a starter.
You are just pertaining on exchange wallet to be used as your main online wallet isn't really advisable specially you are storing it up lots of coins with big value. Its always been suggested to store it up on those wallet where you do own your private keys. The thing that gives you convenience when you store up bitcoins on exchanges is that can easily buy directly altcoins without any problems or an instant since you do have a fund already store on your wallet but for long term or keeping purposes then better to choose up much better wallets like hardware or desktop.
Activity: 2506
Merit: 368
January 08, 2018, 09:13:39 AM
Any web wallet is good as long as you can benefit from it and a good wallet is that has an exchanges in it. It is convenient to use specially if this exchanges wallet is available to your place for any withdrawal of your funds. Yet you can try any wallet you like as a beginners wallet e.g. blockchain, when i am a newbie before i've used blockchain as a starter.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1018
Cashback 15%
January 05, 2018, 12:56:35 PM
blockchain.info is safe for me, almost 3 years i stored my bitcoins on this online wallet and never had a problem. I think most of bitcoin users here are using blockchain.info because it's easy to use and this wallet also stored ethereum and bch.

That is your fortunateness dude, I have friend who lost the money from the blockchain.info wallet. One thing you have to keep in your mind is don't logging into the wallet with the Google results because most of the people lost the money with this way with the fake ads in the Google results. So be careful you are logging into the exact site.
Using online wallet is not at all a secured way to keep your bitcoins are altcoins. You have to choose the hardware or desktop wallet to have the fund safely.
If you are not keen on logging into sites and do have a habit on directly inputting informations without even checking on which site you did logged in then most likely you would really end up on getting scammed.I do admit that blockchain is a good wallet since I have used this wallet when I'm still a newbie but now I moved out into electrum. Web wallet or even on pc wallets do have risk on losing money if you are really careless but regarding on level of risk then web wallet do have it more.It a wise choice for op to use up ledger on storing up.
Activity: 2114
Merit: 506
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
January 04, 2018, 04:26:36 PM
blockchain.info is safe for me, almost 3 years i stored my bitcoins on this online wallet and never had a problem. I think most of bitcoin users here are using blockchain.info because it's easy to use and this wallet also stored ethereum and bch.
I'm also using blockchain.info, it's a good web wallet and does hold 3 type of coins as you mentioned the other two. I don't have any single problem with them but if you want to store big sums of bitcoin, ethereum and BCH it will be good if you'll put that somewhere which is more secured like hardware wallet. Majority of the people here are into blockchain.info but there are some that are using greenaddress, coinomi, electrum and they prefer desktop wallets.
Activity: 924
Merit: 512
January 04, 2018, 01:54:05 PM

That is your fortunateness dude, I have friend who lost the money from the blockchain.info wallet. One thing you have to keep in your mind is don't logging into the wallet with the Google results because most of the people lost the money with this way with the fake ads in the Google results. So be careful you are logging into the exact site.
Using online wallet is not at all a secured way to keep your bitcoins are altcoins. You have to choose the hardware or desktop wallet to have the fund safely.
Activity: 392
Merit: 100
January 04, 2018, 11:19:22 AM
Activity: 588
Merit: 128
January 04, 2018, 10:01:21 AM
As long as you hold private keys or seed then your bitcoin is in good hands so don't need to worry about and just make sure you don't disclose your private keys to anyone. Maybe you want to consider using coinomi as it caters a lot of tokens and let's you hold private keys and it's also supported some hard fork coins like bitcoin gold.
Activity: 92
December 21, 2017, 07:33:23 AM

I suggest mycellium is the safe wallet with private keys  that we can secured our money.  OR Use one of the thin clients like Electrum.  Very easy to set up and you own the private keys.
Pages:
Jump to: