Pages:
Author

Topic: Who likes pod miners? - page 24. (Read 56018 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 118
October 13, 2017, 01:34:35 PM
Awesome news! These will make great stocking stuffers (for myself.)
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
October 13, 2017, 01:05:35 PM
So I know y'all are a "pics or it didn't happen" kind of skeptical about miners, but I can't find the battery charger for my camera. It's somewhere in the mess on my workbench, I'm sure.

Anyways. I have the first Version 0.4 pod miner assembled and working. It's currently hashing away on my test bench, been running 250MHz/110GH for an hour or so on kano (http://www.kano.is/address.php?a=1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr). The onboard controller has been removed because, unsurprisingly, the first version firmware didn't work.

I'm not surprised because it was written based on a hand-drawn schematic and a couple datasheets by someone with no access to the actual hardware. Partly because the actual hardware didn't exist until sometime yesterday afternoon.

So right now all I'm really proving is the updated hardware. We've got 12V power from both PCIe and barrel jack, USB-mini for your data connection, and a right-angle USB A (the standard rectangle) tied into local 5V (up to about 2A) for powering a Pi or other external controller. Core voltage is adjustable. There's hardware in place for the onboard controller to automatically reset the ASICs if the string locks up (y'all might recognize this as the "Zombie" condition on the 2Pacs), which isn't uncommon during efficiency tuning. The installed fans are PWM-speed-regulated based on temperature readings. All of this hardware has been tested to work.

So I've got one or two tiny changes to make to the board, mostly to make unit-testing during manufacture easier, and we're off to the races. And by the time I get PCBs back from the board house the controller firmware should be finished and tested. So I figure we'll be mass-producing these about the middle of November.

Now that the design is finalized I'll work up a full BOM so I can get a sale price estimate. And eventually some sweet photo-graphs.
Activity: 742
Merit: 329
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
October 12, 2017, 06:46:09 AM
I've been hearing good things about pod miners and bad things as well. I measured the two and I can say that there are more good things to pod miners rather than bad. Therefore, if given the opportunity I will definitely use it.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Professional Knife catcher
October 11, 2017, 09:37:32 PM
I am new to mining, put in the time and am reaping the reward. Super excited for pods FTW!
Activity: 224
Merit: 102
Too Many Miners Not Enough Electricity
October 11, 2017, 07:02:35 PM
The new prototype PCBs literally arrived two hours ago. I'll work them up tomorrow and hope to have tangible results, but the first ones will go to some coders so they can improve drivers and firmware.

looking forward to it!!!

Also I sent you a PM when you have a second
copper member
Activity: 970
Merit: 287
Per aspera ad astra
October 11, 2017, 03:57:09 PM
I know exactly what I want for Christmas... Dear Santa...
Thanks for your hard work sidehack.
legendary
October 11, 2017, 03:54:06 PM
The new prototype PCBs arrived literally two hours ago. I'll work them up tomorrow and hope to have tangible results, but the first ones will go to some coders so they can improve drivers and firmware.
Merit: 102
Too Many Miners Not Enough Electricity
October 11, 2017, 03:49:08 PM
have I been under a rock?Huh these Pods look awesome, when exactly is the next round?
legendary
October 05, 2017, 08:03:14 AM
I haven't gotten notification that the PCBs ordered on the 14th have shipped yet so there's been no progress.
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io
October 05, 2017, 12:17:15 AM
Any updates on the pods? Huh
Activity: 595
Merit: 506
September 15, 2017, 04:50:33 PM
What I hope is the final version PCB has been ordered.

I've also got chip sources secured that'll keep me rolling for at least the rest of the year. That's good news because these pods eat 8 chips each.

If the final version works as expected, that'll solidify the Terminus form-factor. Any future pod will be built to the same physical specs, so any cases or custom whatever-the-heck will work for them too.

Optmizer is finalizing the buck design that'll be used on Bitfury gear, which is cool. Hopefully I can get something laid out and tested soon.

Good news, been waiting for this puppy to drop. Will they be going to the usual distributors? Will Bitshopper have his own version like he did with the compacs?
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
September 14, 2017, 09:55:33 PM
That's good news. Looking forward to the Terminus and BF gear.
Activity: 167
September 14, 2017, 03:54:46 PM
Yay!!!
legendary
September 14, 2017, 01:08:48 PM
What I hope is the final version PCB has been ordered.

I've also got chip sources secured that'll keep me rolling for at least the rest of the year. That's good news because these pods eat 8 chips each.

If the final version works as expected, that'll solidify the Terminus form-factor. Any future pod will be built to the same physical specs, so any cases or custom whatever-the-heck will work for them too.

Optmizer is finalizing the buck design that'll be used on Bitfury gear, which is cool. Hopefully I can get something laid out and tested soon.
legendary
September 11, 2017, 08:58:14 AM
The link is to a pool stats for a prototype miner I had hooked up at the time. Now it'd be all zeroes anyways.
Activity: 167
September 11, 2017, 04:25:00 AM
Sounds very promising.  Smiley

EDIT:
Btw, the link in your 1st post is not working. Would it be to much to ask if you could get it to work?  Smiley

legendary
September 09, 2017, 12:39:18 AM
Had some time today that I might have finished up what I hope is the final revision of the BM1384 Terminus. I'll try and get some time to look over it this weekend, verify all the connections and prep it for a short order of boards.

If everything works, it'll codify the Terminus form-factor which will be used for future designs because I like compatibility.

Right now we're looking at a trimpot for voltage adjustment, which can be built for top or side adjust. I like top adjust for an open build, but side adjust would be more accessible if it's going in a case (which some resellers are going to want). Both a 6-pin PCIe and a barrel jack for 12V power. Mini USB for signal to the controller. USB-A jack for 5V output for powering a Pi-style controller. Screw hole in each corner for mounting in a case if desired. Should be pretty nice.

If it's good to go, that relaxes BM1384 dev needs and I can shift focus back to Bitfury in whatever R&D time I'm able to glean outside manufacture.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
September 08, 2017, 03:58:06 PM
If they're doing 7nm, they sure as shootin' won't be available next year.

Tail end of 2018 perhaps - but VERY unlikely.

Note that Intel has been working on their 10nm process for YEARS longer than anyone has been working on 7nm, and STILL has not released their first 10nm product (though I think they DID finally announce a fairly firm "when" date recently).

There has also been quite a bit of industry-wide talk about how "7nm" from different folks is likely to show a TON of variation on real feature size and projected efficiency.
 The recent TSMC "12nm" process that is actually nothing more than a minor upgrade of their previous "16nm" process work that DID NOT CHANGE THE ACTUAL FEATURE SIZE is a specific example.

It's also good to keep track of previous "available when" vs "actually producing chips" history - 14/16nm in particular was supposedly available almost 2 YEARS before actual PRODUCTION chips started rolling off the lines into products.

legendary
September 08, 2017, 08:23:47 AM
If they're doing 7nm, they sure as shootin' won't be available next year.
Activity: 595
Merit: 506
September 08, 2017, 04:54:19 AM
Maybe get some of these in next year, they said they are selling to public http://ir.gmo.jp/en/pdf/irlibrary/disclose_info20170907_e.pdf
Pages:
Jump to: