Pages:
Author

Topic: Who likes pod miners? - page 25. (Read 56018 times)

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
August 15, 2017, 04:17:36 AM
postimg.org is also a good free site I've used for years. You can either open an account and manage your images or just upload and get a link with no account. Clean interface without intrusive ads.
Activity: 767
Merit: 500
August 14, 2017, 07:38:31 PM
photobucket wants you to pay $499/year to share photos to 3rd parties/hotlink them.

Because of this, 85% of the forums/internet now have "please upgrade your account for 3rd party hosting" image.
to bad if they were images from 15 years ago, that person may not be alive to "upgrade your account"

which really help a lot when you need images to show what screw/bolt/wire you need to budge

upload the image to here, or use imgur... till they sell out like photobucket.. I don't think Sarah and Alan (both owners of imgur) will drop their baby, but money dose change minds..
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
August 12, 2017, 12:26:02 AM
Photobucket has turned to shit,don't use em anymore............imgur is more stable  Wink
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
August 11, 2017, 11:46:57 PM

The link is here for all of you guys that want to view it: (http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/sidehack128/Terminus_R808_V0_2.jpg
Still doesn't work for some reason, saying you need to upgrade your account for third party viewing. Maybe it's just me?

The link seems to work if you copy and paste it..
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
August 11, 2017, 11:09:41 PM
Weird, it was never a problem before. Including four months ago when I started this thread. Had that account for the better part of a decade, rarely gets used, but my upload at the shop is low enough that if I host photos on my own server they don't load right on here half the time. Guess I'll go back to doing that. Grumble grumble free service grumble grumble.

The temp sensor on this miner is right in the center of the board, underneath the heatsink with the chips, so it should read more accurately than, say, the S5 temp sensor. The cutoff is also imiplemented in microcontroller firmware on the board, certainly more failure-proof than a check box on a cgi webconfig jumping through various loops to an OS interfacing with half a dozen hardware something-or-others.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1130
Bitcoin FTW!
August 11, 2017, 08:54:11 PM
Image isn't visible, but thanks for trying (I assume that is a pic of the miner?). Better having a lot on the miner and effort than the low-quality crap most big miner manufacturers put out nowadays. I like the heat failsafe, hopefully it actually works unlike some Antminers that don't stop the miner above the set temperature 50% of the time  Smiley

The link is here for all of you guys that want to view it: (http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/sidehack128/Terminus_R808_V0_2.jpg
Still doesn't work for some reason, saying you need to upgrade your account for third party viewing. Maybe it's just me?
legendary
August 11, 2017, 04:10:03 PM

Hopefully that image is visible.

So I've verified that all the hashing parts of the current version board still work, which is good because I moved basically everything around.

In the front left corner you can see holes for a 4-position header. That's where 5V comes out to power a Pi, and it'll be replaced with some kind of USB jack.

You can also see the empty pads for the 8-SOIC where the microcontroller would go if I hadn't bypassed it on this one. That guy would control fan speed and automatically power-cycle the chips if the string locks up or overheats.

Free space on the board is getting pretty tight so it'll be fun figuring out the last few tweaks. All the jacks and such are final positions, and the board is final size, so this is a decent representation of the form-factor. The future Bitfury pod will be mechanically compatible.

I'll be sending a few out to established resellers and my coders as samples, working up about a dozen more that'll probably be for sale on here in a few weeks. Whenever I have time, things are pretty backed up here.

But that's the present state of things.
Activity: 578
Merit: 501
August 03, 2017, 07:25:27 PM
Sounds like things are going well. Not that it matters at this point, but I like the USB A option.
legendary
August 01, 2017, 05:29:07 PM
Not enough room for both. It's an either/or. This thing is already super busy.
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
August 01, 2017, 05:19:27 PM
I'd stick with using a header.
The general public being what they are you just know someone would try to power the pod using a USB jack if it has one...

I second that, at least a header pad/hole behind the USB jack if you go for it. Tongue
legendary
August 01, 2017, 11:41:14 AM
Yeah, and I've got probably close to 200 S1-S5 chassis around the shop just waiting, and probably gonna collect more.

Now I've got some actual good help, and also a couple good guys I can delegate to (VH the driver whizbang, and Optimizer is doing buck design), things are getting done. If I can get closer to caught up on manufacturing I can have more R&D time.

I'm gonna try today to get one of these Terminus pods up to base functionality and cabled into a Pi that it's powering, so I can post a picture or two of the thing in operation. USB-A I think is a good idea.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
August 01, 2017, 11:11:11 AM
I'm still waiting, wishing and hoping with my retired S3 one bad chip, C1 full working miner, S1 same and S5 heat sinks.I know some one has upgrade boards but i live in the US and believe in buying US and NOT BECAUSE OF TRUMP, I hate him, he is well that's off topic so i won't go there .
Activity: 8
August 01, 2017, 10:38:14 AM
USB a is my preference
legendary
Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000
August 01, 2017, 10:21:11 AM
Oh hey, question.

While I'm making changes - what would be better for 5V out (like Pi power), a 4-pin header or a USB A jack? The header is more flexible, but with the jack you could just plug in any USB cable that powers whatever controller you're using.

What's the power draw? Answered above... If it's anything above 2A I would prefer a header as I would most likely be using a switching PSU rather than a USB.
Yea, stick with a micro/mini or A type USB port...
legendary
August 01, 2017, 10:21:01 AM
The general public being what they are you just know someone would try to power the pod using a USB jack if it has one...

The only thing that would do is light up anything pulling from the 5VDC line - so, USB chip, fan controller (but not the fans), node-level IO power, LEDs. Probably wouldn't draw more than a hundred milliamps and wouldn't do anything for the heavy-hitter ASICs.

If someone radioed in to say the pod wouldn't turn on from USB power, we'd be forced to openly ridicule that person, which is very unfortunate.

The general public being what they are, I have to make concessions to simplify things because most people don't like figuring things out for themselves, or even have the tools to do so. Apparently my upbringing was atypical.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
August 01, 2017, 09:57:43 AM
Oh hey, question.

While I'm making changes - what would be better for 5V out (like Pi power), a 4-pin header or a USB A jack? The header is more flexible, but with the jack you could just plug in any USB cable that powers whatever controller you're using.
I'd personally prefer USB A, I just enjoy using em and I have a shit ton that have no use at the moment.

the same, usb a please
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
August 01, 2017, 09:45:48 AM
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1130
Bitcoin FTW!
August 01, 2017, 09:43:50 AM
Oh hey, question.

I'd personally prefer USB A, I just enjoy using em and I have a shit ton that have no use at the moment.
legendary
August 01, 2017, 09:36:31 AM
Oh hey, question.

Activity: 8
July 31, 2017, 10:40:08 PM
Oh hey guess what?

Chicken butt.

Also, an actual update.

I realized on Saturday, while sitting on my couch getting nothing accomplished, that the reason I haven't gotten much accomplished with design work lately is because I had been coming in on weekends for that and focusing on manufacturing Monday through Friday, but I've only had two or three weekends since about the first part of May that I've actually been in town and those days I was usually pretty darn beat and ended up staying home, or did come in for a while to dawdle on stuff.

So anyways we're a bit ahead of the game now that I have some decent help, so I took today to start working up Terminus pods. And the verdict is - it's gonna take a few more changes to the PCB to get 'em going proper.

So while I was laying out connections to the microcontroller I forgot a simple but non-obvious fact - one of the GPIO pins is pretty freakin' worthless. So I'm using an 8-pin micro, which means 6 pins of IO. I need 6 pins of IO - specifically, 2 I2C lines, 1 analog in and 3 outputs. So of the 6 IO pins, it turns out one can only be used as an input, not an output. So hey how about I use that as the input? Handy enough. Except oh wait I need ADC input and that's the only pin not tied into the ADC.

So I think I've figured up a half-decent workaround to the problem this causes, and I should be able to combine two of the outputs into a single output with a small additional circuit to handle the second function. But that means redesigning the PCB.

So now I'm left with about twenty Terminus boards whose internal controller won't fully function. It's supposed to handle fan speed and power shutdown off the temp sensor, reset the string when it detects a lockup, stuff like that. Power shutdown cannot work as it is. I started on simple problems first and haven't gotten to temp sensor interfacing yet but that could probably work for fan speed control, but without power shutdown it doesn't matter a whole lot anyways.

So, apparently I start every paragraph with the word "so". Additionally, I may populate one of these boards with the full miner (I started with just the power and base controls), lock the fans on full, wire up an RC reset, basically rolling back the advanced controller feature set to basic. We'd still have the better 5V onboard that can power a Pi, and the 6-pin power jack alongside the barrel, as improvements. And if it works I can have a dozen or so to sell on here as a "beta release" kind of thing if folks are interested, while I wait another two or three weeks on the revised PCBs to arrive.

These guys would be the final form factor, so I'll be doling a few out to resellers so they can get an idea of sizing and mounting requirements for enclosures or anything else.

I would be happy to take a few of them.

Keep up the great work,

Pages:
Jump to: