Pages:
Author

Topic: Whoever Invented the Gasoline-Powered Leaf Blower Should Have His Butt Kicked - page 5. (Read 4230 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
What should be said here and hasn't so far is that there is right tool for every job, and a leaf blower is an industrial solution being abused as a consumer one.

Ummm, no.

It's not the consumers who are the problem. It's the landscaping and gardening crews who use them regularly in residential areas, often condo and apartment complexes.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
We were about 5-6 persons, and the leaf-blower more than halved the time it would otherwise have taken to remove the leafs.

So what if it halved the time?

You can halve the time of grocery shopping by careening around the store with your shopping cart pushing people aside everywhere you go. You can halve the time of cooking by ignoring some ingredients and not cleaning up after yourself.

In other words, certain things need to be done right. And doing things right takes more time. I guess the reality of the situation is that gardening and cleanup actually costs more because the proper way takes more time. But that's just the way it is, because halving the time with a leaf blower isn't really an acceptable way to do the job. Plain and simple.

Also, there is the externalized cost with leaf blowers (others are forced to suffer so you get the job done your way), and hidden/forgotten costs (gas, maintenance, health).
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
lol@"Proper". There is nothing improper about blowing around a ton of leaves into piles in a big ass yard that is not directly connected to and thus not annoying any neighbors. What should be said here and hasn't so far is that there is right tool for every job, and a leaf blower is an industrial solution being abused as a consumer one. To hear people complaining about it in general (instead of mentioning that there are uses for it and that normal everyday raking isn't one of them) makes me think they'd also complain about jet engines.

"Flying should be done slowly, the right way. Jets are loud and blow birds around."
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
We were about 5-6 persons, and the leaf-blower more than halved the time it would otherwise have taken to remove the leafs.

So what if it halved the time?

You can halve the time of grocery shopping by careening around the store with your shopping cart pushing people aside everywhere you go. You can halve the time of cooking by ignoring some ingredients and not cleaning up after yourself.

In other words, certain things need to be done right. And doing things right takes more time. I guess the reality of the situation is that gardening and cleanup actually costs more because the proper way takes more time. But that's just the way it is, because halving the time with a leaf blower isn't really an acceptable way to do the job. Plain and simple.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
One bitcoin to rule them all!
The fact that these idiotic things continue to exist is perplexing. They are heavy, loud, stinky, noisy. They scatter dust, dry shit, and mold spores into the air. They are inefficient.  They are retarded. A broom does the job, is cheaper, lighter, quiter, smells nicer, and can be used for flying, too.

They are actually excellent when used as intended (To blow leafs).

The problems arise when they are used for other stuff.
The problems arise when you blow leaves around with leaf blowers. As I already pointed out, they are a noisy, polluting, inefficient technology. You cannot use them to blow leaves without also blowing all sorts of shit with them. A rake does the job, and is a much more appropriate technology for the task of moving leaves around.

I tried one in a park with lots of leafs, and made pretty neat rows that were then removed. There were very little "other stuff" being blown together with the leaves. most twigs and a few resilient leaves had to be raked away.

The fact that these idiotic things continue to exist is perplexing. They are heavy, loud, stinky, noisy. They scatter dust, dry shit, and mold spores into the air. They are inefficient.  They are retarded. A broom does the job, is cheaper, lighter, quiter, smells nicer, and can be used for flying, too.

The problems arise when you blow leaves around with leaf blowers. As I already pointed out, they are a noisy, polluting, inefficient technology. You cannot use them to blow leaves without also blowing all sorts of shit with them. A rake does the job, and is a much more appropriate technology for the task of moving leaves around.
Activity: 224
One bitcoin to rule them all!

I had an encounter this morning. A short Mexican guy started blowing the leaves and the dust in my direction.

I was about to start screaming at him: 'Get the fuck away from me you moron!'. Then I realized it wouldn't be politically correct.

I moved to the left corner of the small area and he gave me finger up as he blew 2-3 leaves on the right side.

Then he motioned me to get to the other side and I obliged.

He blew a few more leaves on the left side and a lot of dust in my face, gave me one more finger up like :"You cool gringo" and left me coughing.

It was even worse than having ' conversation' with myrkul.

What a fucked up country we live in.

Fucked up, yes, but reading your story makes me wonder which of you two was more responsible for fucking it up a little bit more on that day...
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
I had an encounter this morning. A short Mexican guy started blowing the leaves and the dust in my direction.

I was about to start screaming at him: 'Get the fuck away from me you moron!'. Then I realized it wouldn't be politically correct.

I moved to the left corner of the small area and he gave me finger up as he blew 2-3 leaves on the right side.

He blew a few more leaves on the left side and a lot of dust in my face, gave me one more finger up like :"You cool gringo" and left me coughing.

I wonder if that Mexican was related to the one I saw at McDonald's the other day, constantly scratching his balls with plastic gloves protecting his hands while he prepared my sandwich.
Activity: 126

legendary
Sounds like we need a MMLBM to Washington.
Here is a picture I took two years ago, proving that my frustration with leaf blowers is at least that old:

Note the mandatory hearing and breathing protection, and dust and dried shit being stirred up in the air, along with exhaust from the stinky, inefficient two-stroke engine.

Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Activity: 8
Dom Quinto - thanks for nothing!
legendary
I believe early Sunday morning is the best time to test start the snow blower.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
The fact that there is no national outrage against this device is telling.

No, just a local outrage.  They've been illegal in Berkeley since 1982.

I've spent a lot of time in Berkeley. Kinda proves my point about morons...
Activity: 129
The fact that there is no national outrage against this device is telling.

No, just a local outrage.  They've been illegal in Berkeley since 1982.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
Agree, it's like the whole purpose of this devices is to be as loud an annoying as possible.
What do you mean "like"? The manufacturers do deliberately design these machines to be as loud as possible. They once tried putting mufflers on them, but nobody would buy them because they thought the quieter motors were less powerful. They honestly think the loud ones are better. So that's what the manufacturers make. Which proves that capitalism only works when the consumers aren't complete morons. Roll Eyes
Tsk... sound is energy too, and noise is energy lost. Such a shame.

Nah, Capitalism works in the absence of belief. Unlike other economic systems.

Besides, if they didn't make all that noise, you might have to hear the moron behind the trigger.
Pages:
Jump to: