Pages:
Author

Topic: Why? - page 4. (Read 9536 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
October 26, 2012, 07:43:15 PM

Well more people buy and use bitcoins during rising prices, this is nothing new. And in a way the number of transactions is more related to trading volume than price.
My conclusion would be that we are still far away from panic selling territory.

I agree, but I don't rule out a panic sell.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
October 26, 2012, 07:42:35 PM

Well more people buy and use bitcoins during rising prices, this is nothing new. And in a way the number of transactions is more related to trading volume than price.
My conclusion would be that we are still far away from panic selling territory. Looks more like profit taking atm.
October 26, 2012, 07:23:31 PM
legendary
October 26, 2012, 07:19:58 PM
Activity: 697
Merit: 262
Slimcoin - the Proof of Donation inventors!
October 26, 2012, 07:08:13 PM
From my point of view there is not BTC market any more.
You can't invest bitcoins since there is no market, so the only way to make money is the dump and pump.

Ahh good fresh FUD, one of these times they come out of their hiding.

But now, seriously where may you invest your BTC's?

https://www.havelockinvestments.com/

since you asked  Tongue

Disclaimer:  I neither promote or have any reason to think these guys are not legit. I have no affiliation with, and no bitcoins (or other out-dated currencies of any kind) invested with these guys.

Interesting, thanks
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz
October 26, 2012, 07:06:26 PM
You can't invest bitcoins since there is no market, so the only way to make money is the dump and pump.

https://www.havelockinvestments.com/

since you asked  Tongue

Disclaimer:  I neither promote nor have any reason to think these guys are not legit. I have no affiliation with, and no bitcoins (or other out-dated currencies of any kind) invested with these guys.
October 26, 2012, 07:05:45 PM

Where I come from markets exists to facilitate buying and selling of stuff and price discovery.

+1

BTC market is not a typical one, from my point of view.
Everybody criticize it for not being a vehicle of real trading, but it still exists, so we have to accept it.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
October 26, 2012, 06:39:40 PM

Where I come from markets exists to facilitate buying and selling of stuff and price discovery.
donator
October 26, 2012, 06:35:02 PM
We have no bitinstant debit card in the news. A preloadable debit card is bitcoin's only hope for any introduction into mainstream usage, while too many members of this forum make a big deal over something as silly as bitcoin taxi payments or vending machines.

Bitcoin price is inflated by irrational, Atlas-esque bulls who think bitcoin will succeed by proselytizing its merits to the masses. The notion that bitcoin will grow by getting our collective relatives' small businesses to all accept bitcoin is as delusional as canvassing for a presidential 3rd party.

We need to piggyback bitcoin's decentralized characteristics onto the popularity of a mainstream currency, thus acting as a medium between "real" currencies, so to speak. Only once this niche role is established can bitcoin hope to make the next leap as a self supporting currency. The Bitcoin Foundation and the pre-loadable debit card have been the only significant bitcoin news as of late, the rest is all noise.

How will another bitcoin-accepting small business with ZERO bitcoin transactions help bitcoin?
How will ASIC's that do nothing but further secure an already impenetrable network help bitcoin?
How will planting proselytizing media stories that reach only libertarians and techies help bitcoin?

Meh, I can remember when the web was a bunch of text with no images. Bitcoin is (in my opinion) pretty much inevitable now. There may be some false starts and some missteps but I don't think there's much need for anyone to be running around pushing things, just take advantages of opportunities as they occur and it will grow by itself. If it needed to be forced, it *deserves* to fail.

I'm not saying that anything should be forced, only that those innovative energies of the bitcoin community should be focused on that which is most essential. Promoting bitcoin in its present form as a currency is, in my opinion, a complete waste of time. If we intend to grow the bitcoin economy, we need greater interactivity with the real economy, with innovations that promote seamless osmosis with those real currencies. Trying to defy and ignore the real economy with bitcoin-as-currency innovations like in-person phone payments is doomed to fail until there is a sufficient base of support and usage --- a foundation that can only be be brought about by promoting bitcoin as a protocol, as a tool for the dollar, euro, etc.

Two example innovations I can think of that fit this bill would be:

1. Pre-loadable debit card that holds value in bitcoins until sale is made, at which point an instant dollar/euro conversion is made.
2. Micropayment protocol that enables users to tip content with bitcoins in a format easier than copy-paste lengthy alphanumeric address.

I've grown quite fond of settling small everyday stuff (like when someone picked something up for me (or the other way around)) in bitcoin. Bitcoin already works for me in that regard and it's really useful. I don't see why this use case alone wouldn't be able to make bitcoin big at all, it just takes time. Just today I had 2 "bitcoin newbies" (they actually had fully synced bitcoin clients on their laptops with 0 transactions) buy bitcoins from me. So the userbase is growing and these dudes didn't even seem to me like they needed the stuff for silkroad. Neither were they hardcore libertarians or anti-establishment in any way, they just genuinely thought bitcoin was a cool idea and maybe they should get some.

Slowly moving towards critical mass without any hot-shot corporation pulling a humongeous biggie seems to be a viable path to me. Protecting ourselves well along the way against the various attacks and problems that will undoubtedly occur we should be fine in the end.

I'm still silently hoping for some kind of a big kaboom, but it's not necessary in my mind.

Falkvinges assumption of it taking 10 years from inception to widespread use might turn out to be correct.

Why do you insist on having to interface with that shoddy payment system credit cards resemble? The people behind that are our competition.
Why do you insist on having to interface with that shoddy debt-based fiat currency? The people behind that are our competition.

I don't wanna be a tool for the Dollar!

Bitcoin is real money, not the Dollar.

I'm not talking about "defying and ignoring the real economy", I'm talking about that economy using real money.
October 26, 2012, 06:32:16 PM

It's not fresh. You can see by yourself, that even if pirateat40 was a negative experience it dumped the price, because there was a lot of willing investors from outside of btc world. When it defaulted there were still OBSI, and GLBSE.
And why Nefario got so scared as to shut his site instead of selling it? I will not tell you what I think, as I don't need FUD (I'm on BTC side right now and am not going to sell, so personally I'd need the price to go up ;-))
legendary
October 26, 2012, 06:22:27 PM

Ahh good fresh FUD, one of these days.
October 26, 2012, 06:14:52 PM
October 26, 2012, 06:00:00 PM
there's so many possibly "reasons"... maybe they just all add up... add some panic and voilà: le plunge.

QFT
donator
October 26, 2012, 05:58:23 PM
there's so many possibly "reasons"... maybe they just all add up... add some panic and voilà: le plunge.
legendary
Activity: 2478
Merit: 2151
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
October 26, 2012, 05:57:41 PM

don't sell too much

Sell? I'm looking to buy.
donator
October 26, 2012, 05:55:19 PM
Why are we in the middle of a massive sell-off?

why do you think it's the middle? could be the end or the beginning...
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
October 26, 2012, 05:50:53 PM
+1. Just reread rick falkvinge "four drivers of bitcoin" or something similar, sit back and enjoy. (also: don't sell too much)

Falkvinge's speech at last year's Bitcoin conference was stupendous.

As for not selling, I only sold a small quantity at GBP 6,90 to pay for a Mt Gox Yubikey, otherwise it's buy buy baby! Trouble is, I'm short of fiat right now so that's going to have to wait for a bit...
Activity: 210
October 26, 2012, 05:49:53 PM
We have no bitinstant debit card in the news. A preloadable debit card is bitcoin's only hope for any introduction into mainstream usage, while too many members of this forum make a big deal over something as silly as bitcoin taxi payments or vending machines.

Bitcoin price is inflated by irrational, Atlas-esque bulls who think bitcoin will succeed by proselytizing its merits to the masses. The notion that bitcoin will grow by getting our collective relatives' small businesses to all accept bitcoin is as delusional as canvassing for a presidential 3rd party.

We need to piggyback bitcoin's decentralized characteristics onto the popularity of a mainstream currency, thus acting as a medium between "real" currencies, so to speak. Only once this niche role is established can bitcoin hope to make the next leap as a self supporting currency. The Bitcoin Foundation and the pre-loadable debit card have been the only significant bitcoin news as of late, the rest is all noise.

How will another bitcoin-accepting small business with ZERO bitcoin transactions help bitcoin?
How will ASIC's that do nothing but further secure an already impenetrable network help bitcoin?
How will planting proselytizing media stories that reach only libertarians and techies help bitcoin?

Meh, I can remember when the web was a bunch of text with no images. Bitcoin is (in my opinion) pretty much inevitable now. There may be some false starts and some missteps but I don't think there's much need for anyone to be running around pushing things, just take advantages of opportunities as they occur and it will grow by itself. If it needed to be forced, it *deserves* to fail.

I'm not saying that anything should be forced, only that those innovative energies of the bitcoin community should be focused on that which is most essential. Promoting bitcoin in its present form as a currency is, in my opinion, a complete waste of time. If we intend to grow the bitcoin economy, we need greater interactivity with the real economy, with innovations that promote seamless osmosis with those real currencies. Trying to defy and ignore the real economy with bitcoin-as-currency innovations like in-person phone payments is doomed to fail until there is a sufficient base of support and usage --- a foundation that can only be be brought about by promoting bitcoin as a protocol, as a tool for the dollar, euro, etc.

Two example innovations I can think of that fit this bill would be:

1. Pre-loadable debit card that holds value in bitcoins until sale is made, at which point an instant dollar/euro conversion is made.
2. Micropayment protocol that enables users to tip content with bitcoins in a format easier than copy-paste lengthy alphanumeric address.
donator
October 26, 2012, 05:47:38 PM

+1. Just reread rick falkvinge "four drivers of bitcoin" or something similar, sit back and enjoy. (also: don't sell too much)
Pages:
Jump to: