Pages:
Author

Topic: Why are some international payment companies not allowing Americans to join? - page 4. (Read 5875 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
Not allowing Americans to join? Not allowing Americans to join? Let's go kick their ass!

Team America World Police - Fuck Yeah!

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Again where does this myth come from?

All it takes it is to do business with a US Citizen, no US accounts needed.

Megauploads and Liberty reserve both were not in the USA and the owners were not US Citizens. The US Dept of Justice seized and shut them down.

Is it right? No but it is the way it is.

It's not a myth.  Both your examples had items that were in the USA that could be seized.  The domain registrations happened to be under a TLD that is US controlled.  And at least in MegaUpload's case, there were quite a few servers physically located in the USA.

For a non-USA business to be able to ignore the USA, they would have to make sure they have NOTHING that the USA can touch.  That means no TLDs under USA control, no physical presence in USA, and no other presence (like bank accounts, etc) in USA.

As it is, they aren't necessarily going to be shut completely down if there isn't much for the USA to take.  Look at the Mt Gox Dwolla account seizure for example.  Since Mt Gox is based in Japan, all they could take was that and maybe the small company that was set up to run that account.
Activity: 192
paccoin
One reason is that some states (California, New York?!?), will come after companies worldwide if they do business "illegally" with people from that State. Bizarre, but hey its US Law, so it must be ok.
There's the question of Jurisdiction. Unless the international company has accounts in the US, they cant touch them.
Activity: 168
If they do business with us then they have to follow US laws regarding money laundering which means they need identification on all US customers and have to file the right paperwork.

More hassle than it is worth for many of them.
Activity: 322
Merit: 102
Why are some international payment companies not allowing Americans to join?

Because by doing so they make themselves targets of the USA.

Think Liberty Reserve or Megauploads if you have any doubt.

No US customers, no risk from the USA.

~BCX~

Of course, those two companies WERE in the US Smiley
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
One reason is that some states (California, New York?!?), will come after companies worldwide if they do business "illegally" with people from that State. Bizarre, but hey its US Law, so it must be ok.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Activity: 192
paccoin
I tried to sign up for several payment companies so I could fund my BTC-e account, and each one said that US Citizens accounts will be deleted.
Why are international companies doing this?
Is the US Government trying to disrupt the movement of money?
Pages:
Jump to: