Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do people still smoke cigarettes? - page 4. (Read 715 times)

Activity: 172
Merit: 0
February 29, 2020, 06:45:14 PM
We know it messes up your lungs,and reduces libido. It also costs a fair bit of money. It messes up your skin texture as well, and you can see those middle aged women with prune lips and pasty faces. Now it appears that smoking helps the Corona Virus to bond to cells, and this makes it much harder for the immune system to fight the virus.

I just can't understand what the appeal is given all the damaging consequences.

I believe its addiction that most people can't seem to let go. I have a Doc friend that can finish a full pack of cigarette in one day but he will still preach to you that cigarette smoking is very dangerous to health. So to me it's all about addiction
Activity: 66
Merit: 2
February 28, 2020, 11:48:14 PM
Addiction is the reason why, even if they already know the outcomes and it's really dangerous, still they continue to smoke because they get addicted. Showing our care to them doesn't make them stop from doing it. Self care is part of it, if they really wanted to stop they'll do it themself.
brand new
Activity: 0
Merit: 1
February 28, 2020, 05:30:53 PM
I don't know, there are so many ways to quit smoking nowadays. Personally, I prefer vaping and I have to say it's one of the most helpful ways to stop smoking cigarettes. If you want to try too, just buy Sea Stix first. It's disposable pod device that has awesome flavors and it is equivalent to 20-25 cigarettes.
Activity: 8
February 26, 2020, 07:23:24 AM
People smoke cigarettes, because this is a kinda helpful for social skills.
Example: If you meet a girl on crowded place, go outside and smoke cigarettes and talk Smiley
Activity: 2618
Merit: 439
February 26, 2020, 06:56:33 AM
I have never smoked in my life but I have seen a friend who went from a smoking hater to a chain-smoker taking 4 cigars a day now.
4 cigars a day cannot be consider as "Chain Smoker" mate because that classification is for those who smoke at least 1 case or more a day but still that is alarming because he used to be a Smoke hater.
When I asked he said he is hooked and it reduces his depression as well and more importantly it makes him look cool infront of those college girls.
i am sure there is someone that influenced Him to try and like smoking .
I tried to convince that those college girls won't be there to help him if he gets a heart attack. But basically in general, getting high is probably the only reason people smoke.
you cannot be High by smoking cigars mate because nicotine has no drugs at all,maybe weeds is what you are pointing?
Activity: 1708
Merit: 105
February 26, 2020, 06:29:12 AM
We know it messes up your lungs,and reduces libido. It also costs a fair bit of money. It messes up your skin texture as well, and you can see those middle aged women with prune lips and pasty faces. Now it appears that smoking helps the Corona Virus to bond to cells, and this makes it much harder for the immune system to fight the virus.

what you say may be very appropriate but I believe that you might not be a smoker. I am also not a smoker but you try to ask them, they know that smoking is very bad and dangerous for the lungs and also drains money. but the main problem is that they have made cigarettes like an inseparable tool (addicted). they better not even eat than not smoke !! and that's true said by smokers.
it's not as easy as getting people to not smoke if it's not from themselves.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 133
February 26, 2020, 02:31:40 AM
I have never smoked in my life but I have seen a friend who went from a smoking hater to a chain-smoker taking 4 cigars a day now. When I asked he said he is hooked and it reduces his depression as well and more importantly it makes him look cool infront of those college girls. I tried to convince that those college girls won't be there to help him if he gets a heart attack. But basically in general, getting high is probably the only reason people smoke.
Activity: 2912
Merit: 629
February 26, 2020, 01:45:20 AM
Probably addiction... just like most of us living on earth are addicted to one thing or the other.
I agree, its hard to quit because they used to it as part of their daily habit. I know someone who can consume 2 packs of cigarette each day, its like a candy that if he crave for it then no one can stop. I think a person will only stop smoking if he feel something is wrong in his health. But before someone can stop, damage has been done already to his lungs making it to a point his life is at risk.
Activity: 32
February 26, 2020, 01:28:21 AM
I asked my friend why does he smoke?  The answer I got was hilarious he said he doesn't like to smoke but it looks cool and with smoking swag he can attract girls. Seriously I know my girl she hates cigarette smell.
How old is your friend? if he's a teenager close to early 20s that would be a valid reason.

I have friends who work in the BPO industry and the shifting of their schedule is toxic and they smoke a cigarette to relieve the stress that they get from the work. And it's also a mechanism to them so that they won't fall asleep as they work on graveyard shift. For others, I don't know the reason but mostly it's a habit.

Yes you are right he was in his early 20s, now smoking has become his habit which he can't leave.
Activity: 9
February 25, 2020, 08:26:22 PM
You cant stop. Its coded into our DNA. whatever is coded into DNA you will like to do it repeatedly. Anything we consume often, its coded, and then you always will be sick until its gone from DNA. So, to stop you will have to suffer in a huge pain, its restoration pain. Any food, drinks, all that changes our DNA work.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
February 25, 2020, 05:25:05 PM
Personally, I smoke because I like to. Period.
I often fly overseas, longest flight so far was 28hrs portal-to-portal with most around 18-20hrs, I regularly work in clean rooms and pharmaceutical mfg areas and not being able to smoke at those times has never bothered me at all. Even when I am freely able to smoke I'll often go several days without a cigarette just because I don't feel like it. Nonetheless I average 1 pack a day.

Never once has it bothered me to not be able to smoke. I figure that once it DOES bother me - that is the time to quit.
Activity: 88
Merit: 3
February 25, 2020, 11:36:02 AM
I think this addiction is mostly psychological. Like, if your spirit is weak, you can't quit though you know the consequences. Personally I tried smoking but I never grew addiction to it. At first, it's just interesting to try, then it may become an essential part of your life if you're not strong enough
Activity: 812
Merit: 104
🎄 Allah is The Best Planner 🥀
February 25, 2020, 09:47:56 AM
We all know that smoking is harmful to the health we smoke Smoking destroys our lungs and causes a spread of diseases I also usually smoke but now i can not quit. In fact smokers themselves don't even know why they eat. It's an addiction and addiction.
Ucy
Activity: 2576
Merit: 401
February 25, 2020, 09:12:17 AM
Probably addiction... just like most of us living on earth are addicted to one thing or the other. Unfortunately smoking things like cigarettes has more disadvantages than advantages to many/most people. The addiction and the possible health challenges are not good things. I guess those that are addicted could start reducing the amount they smoke a day, eat/live more healthy, deal with the root cause of the addiction, until they finally quite smoking.
Activity: 3024
Merit: 680
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
February 25, 2020, 07:40:31 AM
I asked my friend why does he smoke?  The answer I got was hilarious he said he doesn't like to smoke but it looks cool and with smoking swag he can attract girls. Seriously I know my girl she hates cigarette smell.
How old is your friend? if he's a teenager close to early 20s that would be a valid reason.

I have friends who work in the BPO industry and the shifting of their schedule is toxic and they smoke a cigarette to relieve the stress that they get from the work. And it's also a mechanism to them so that they won't fall asleep as they work on graveyard shift. For others, I don't know the reason but mostly it's a habit.
Activity: 32
February 25, 2020, 07:09:30 AM
I have asked a lot of people about it. Most of them say that it "calms them down" if they are nervous. Then it goes like addiction. Second popular answer is that it helps to make friends, in other words it binds people. Actually, I also smoked when i was living in my property in Spain and partied a lot, but now i give up smoking because I fell in love

Activity: 122
Merit: 1
February 25, 2020, 06:51:50 AM

If you'd take the pain to ask most smoker why they do it persistently, you'll realize that their main problem is the addiction and nothing else, its takes a whole lot to stop a man or woman from smoking, its just like drinking alcohol too. Funny enough, if you try educating them on the hazards they are prone to while smoking in this part of the world, they reply you with the phrase ''A man only die once'', so pathetic!
Activity: 127
Merit: 31
The real Jet Cash.
February 25, 2020, 06:32:41 AM
Just to reinforce the point.

It was reported that Chinese men are more likely to die from the Corona Virus than Chinese women. This was assumed to be related to their sex. In fact research revealed that 40% of Chinese men smoke, and only about 2% of Chinese women do so, Smoking helps the Corona Virus to bind to cells and multiply, and this is the reason for the increase in deaths.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 258
Need a Helping hand? https://tinyurl.com/2p94uabm
February 25, 2020, 05:04:13 AM
It's difficult to give exact information about why people still smoke but I think it's a type of intoxication that many people don't want to give up Everyone knows that it can be harmful to our body and death can be cancer. People can not leave it is a type of addiction Many friends have learned from one and a half and some have learned to eat themselves However I do not like to smoke cigarettes nor do I smoke.
Activity: 566
Merit: 13
February 25, 2020, 02:21:51 AM
For some, this has already become an insurmountable addiction. Other people just like it. They understand all the consequences, but they like the process. Just like alcohol for many people.
Pages:
Jump to: