Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do scammers scam? - page 5. (Read 5970 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
July 02, 2014, 02:19:50 AM
The reality is that scamming simply requires a broken moral compass. That's all the prerequisite is.

Indeed, I think a lot of scammers just verge on being sociopaths. It's not so much that it's "easy" to scam, it's more so that they come to view it as a legitimate form of work. Marx called them the Lumpenproletariat. Smiley
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
July 02, 2014, 01:06:55 AM
GREEDY ! GREEDY ! GREEDY !
Scammers are always finding new ways to trick you, but many scams are based on an existing one, so being aware of the different types of scams is the best way to spot new ones
Activity: 742
Merit: 502
Circa 2010
July 01, 2014, 09:12:53 PM
Legitimate business requires hard work and commitment.

Scamming, not so much.

Not true at all. Correlation =/= Causation.

Some of the biggest scams have been schemes which were elaborate and took time and good con skills to get set up (ie Madoff ponzi). Madoff spent a lot of time trying to get new investors and hyping up his company which is hard work.

The reality is that scamming simply requires a broken moral compass. That's all the prerequisite is.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
July 01, 2014, 08:37:11 PM

Scamming, not so much.

The income for both examples from the OP would have been passive income had the scammer stayed legitimate. It would have been "greedier" to continue the business rather than shutting it down because the scammer would make more money that way with relatively little effort. Compared to physical businesses like hair salons or bakeries, operating an exchange doesn't require a lot of hard work once all the infrastructure is set up. Developing an altcoin doesn't require a lot of hard work either once the coin has been coded and launched. Writing software is a lot like writing a book. You put ninety percent of the effort into the development phase. Once that is over, you enter the stress-free maintenance phase.

Think of it this way, would you rather have option 1: one million dollars today, or option 2: $2,000 next week, another $2,000 the week after that, and so on?

Not to mention the business could fail by getting hacked or whatever.

Even if you know that you can get more money in the long run by choosing the second option, you can still understand why some people might choose option 1.
Activity: 672
Merit: 265
July 01, 2014, 06:26:31 AM
Scam artists scam because there are still people who fall for their scams.

If there were no victims, there would be no scam artists.

Somehow I think these gullible people will always be with us, and so will the scams that follow them. And looking at this community sometimes, I feel it is somehow actually getting worse.... Undecided

I agree, it is getting worse.
Activity: 672
Merit: 265
July 01, 2014, 06:25:13 AM

Smiley

When I type in my wallet password i cover the keys, my dog always seems to be hanging around, i don't even trust him  Grin
Activity: 658
Buy and sell bitcoins,
June 29, 2014, 06:09:08 PM

Somehow I think these gullible people will always be with us, and so will the scams that follow them. And looking at this community sometimes, I feel it is somehow actually getting worse.... Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
June 29, 2014, 08:34:25 AM

For sharexcoin maybe it was the temptation.

Seemed to be on good track, but the balances built up fast.

Activity: 168
June 29, 2014, 06:31:19 AM
well sometimes they do not.. when they trying to scam they say i will return 100 percent back Cheesy lol
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
June 29, 2014, 06:30:25 AM
They want easy money and unfortunately they often get it Sad
Activity: 168
June 29, 2014, 03:29:58 AM
well most of the scammer thoughts that his is the best way to earn money the most easiet way or whatever.. thts why the scam.. and why we say scammer becasue they are scammer that is why the scam Cheesy lol..
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams
June 29, 2014, 12:18:29 AM

Scamming, not so much.

The income for both examples from the OP would have been passive income had the scammer stayed legitimate. It would have been "greedier" to continue the business rather than shutting it down because the scammer would make more money that way with relatively little effort. Compared to physical businesses like hair salons or bakeries, operating an exchange doesn't require a lot of hard work once all the infrastructure is set up. Developing an altcoin doesn't require a lot of hard work either once the coin has been coded and launched. Writing software is a lot like writing a book. You put ninety percent of the effort into the development phase. Once that is over, you enter the stress-free maintenance phase.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
June 28, 2014, 11:45:46 PM
Unintelligent, incapable, no belief in themselves, no morals.

Finally the most common one IMO: Greed
Activity: 350
Merit: 104
June 28, 2014, 11:41:24 PM

Scamming, not so much.
Activity: 820
Merit: 1000
June 28, 2014, 09:33:03 PM
because too many dumb (and greedy) people in this forum who believe this random coin will huge success  Roll Eyes
many scammer try to get profit from altcoin, usually with IPO and premine (or instamine too)
and many "investor" don't learn from previous lesson

Very true.
Just check the "gambling" section and see how many ponzi thread there are (and how many people "invested" in them)...
Activity: 601
Vote 4fryn :)
June 28, 2014, 08:40:16 AM
quick and fast money short term
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
June 28, 2014, 05:21:19 AM
When it would be more profitable to stay legitimate instead?

For example there was Stackcoin. Its dev had an IPO that raised 70 BTC. It had an interesting idea and screenshots were posted showing the concept being developed. Wouldn't it have been more profitable to just develop the coin instead?

Or the Sharexcoin exchange. A lot of development went into that site and the site was a fully functioning exchange which would have been a good long term investment for the site owner. But instead the owner decided to scam its users by closing the site and running off with its users' coins. I think he was later caught trying to sell 24 million QORA on Poloniex which they were able to identify and seize.

It doesn't make any sense. Huh

Scammers are oxygen thiefs as well as crypto thiefs

I am good at finding stuff on the internet & following trails.

If you suspect scammer you should store screengrabs and get as details as you can.
This is because the scammer will try to hide when they know we are looking for them.
Send me the info you have to my email in my profile.
I will look if i  am not too busy.
If you can pay bounty deposit, I will not be too busy.

Activity: 155
June 27, 2014, 06:13:03 AM
They are bad people they always want cheat with others.
Activity: 140
Merit: 110
bitcoinnaire
June 25, 2014, 03:58:08 PM
Unfortunately no, I've been down that route. I've sold pretty much everything besides the clothes on my back to get some money together to buy ramen. My medicines alone cost well over 600 dollars without insurance and therapy, forget it. I'm in a tight spot, and scammers make people like me look bad because I could pitch that I definitely need help, that I don't leave the house, that I don't get in a car, or drive or do anything. I can't work, I have severe panic and anxiety coupled with depression. I cannot work. I was declared disabled in 2008 legally. I'm fighting to get SSI.

But then we have people like Dank who thinks he can start a commune, and he has thousands of dollars worth of guitar equipment he can sell easily and make money, and he OWES people money and well.

I just can't get angry about this because it just makes it worse.
Activity: 152
June 25, 2014, 03:53:55 PM
You got things you around the house you can barter with or sell?

I`d get creative and buy a lego piece and make add the metal keychain then sell it. or re-sell something you can get a hold of for lot less of a price.
Pages:
Jump to: