Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do scammers scam? - page 6. (Read 5970 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 110
bitcoinnaire
June 25, 2014, 03:47:22 PM
It's shit because when people come out with genuine plans to do something they are straight away told they are a scam!

I genuinely want to start a bitcoin lottery but no one is willing to give it a go because they don't trust I will pay out.

But I don't blame them cause 90% of people would be trying to scam them!

I notice a lot of that here more than anywhere else, like dogecoin on reddit. I've told them my story and they immediately embraced me as one of their own. Now here, I mean I legitimately need help. I'm running a campaign, I've got a million personal tragedies and not one person can take the time of day to even notice or think that I'm not running a scam. I'd ask for a long term loan but I'm not sure how I'd even pay it back, unless I kept running my sig campaign. That's all I have right now, and before people say "job" it's not that easy, and I've explained why. But then people are saying all I want is free money and I'm healthy enough to get one, they don't know my situation. It's easy from behind a chair or computer to say these things and I've had them said to me. What's even easier is having a little empathy for a person, but I guess that's absent to people.

Yah I think a lot of the problem is the same one you see with beggers on the streets. You see so many guys on the streets holding up signs that they're washed-up Vietnam veterans when they're obviously too young to be one that you might not believe a real washed-up veteran if you actually saw one. And there are many real washed-up veterans from what I've been hearing. So my advice would be simply to think of some simple easy jobs you can do for money and then hit sites like Fiverr and/or post your services in the Services forum here. That way you can at least be earning an income instead of people accusing you of scamming when really all you need is a hand up.

The unfortunate thing is I need think of an easy job, I'm not really good at much of anything, and I need the money and that's why sometimes it reverts to sounding like a scam when in actuality it's a human being who actually needs a little support. Anyways fiverr would be great if it wasn't already flooded with people looking for the same thing, or who could do something I can do just a little better. Self doubt is always my biggest enemy.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?
June 25, 2014, 03:35:42 PM
It's disgusting, because real people with real lives gave up hours of their work for that 70 BTC total because they wanted to make the world a little bit better... And instead, those seventy coins are now buying drugs for one man.

Wanted to make the world a little better? Sorry but 99% of those 70 btc were invested by other greedy people who wanted to make more probably, the world isn't such a wonderful place as some may think, at least not when its run anonymously.
JJB
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
June 25, 2014, 03:26:34 PM
It's shit because when people come out with genuine plans to do something they are straight away told they are a scam!

I genuinely want to start a bitcoin lottery but no one is willing to give it a go because they don't trust I will pay out.

Put the prize money in escrow then and people will probably trust you then.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com
June 25, 2014, 03:13:23 PM

I notice a lot of that here more than anywhere else, like dogecoin on reddit. I've told them my story and they immediately embraced me as one of their own. Now here, I mean I legitimately need help. I'm running a campaign, I've got a million personal tragedies and not one person can take the time of day to even notice or think that I'm not running a scam. I'd ask for a long term loan but I'm not sure how I'd even pay it back, unless I kept running my sig campaign. That's all I have right now, and before people say "job" it's not that easy, and I've explained why. But then people are saying all I want is free money and I'm healthy enough to get one, they don't know my situation. It's easy from behind a chair or computer to say these things and I've had them said to me. What's even easier is having a little empathy for a person, but I guess that's absent to people.

Yah I think a lot of the problem is the same one you see with beggers on the streets. You see so many guys on the streets holding up signs that they're washed-up Vietnam veterans when they're obviously too young to be one that you might not believe a real washed-up veteran if you actually saw one. And there are many real washed-up veterans from what I've been hearing. So my advice would be simply to think of some simple easy jobs you can do for money and then hit sites like Fiverr and/or post your services in the Services forum here. That way you can at least be earning an income instead of people accusing you of scamming when really all you need is a hand up.

Some people just dont want to put the effort, its plain and simple.

Despite fiverr and other great freelance things.

I see so much panhandling on the freeway in california, its so annoying that I give water instead of money.
Activity: 252
June 25, 2014, 01:39:14 PM
Because they want the easy way out of everything else.

Why does a hooker rather suck a dick then get a normal job? cause she can suck a dick for 15 mins and make $100 what a average pay check would make. Again the easy way out, capitalism lol.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
June 25, 2014, 01:03:32 PM

bitcoinnaire
June 25, 2014, 12:54:02 PM

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
June 25, 2014, 10:01:38 AM
It's pretty much simple and easy money, for some it might be satisfaction.
Activity: 31
June 25, 2014, 08:56:48 AM
"You can't con an honest person".

So most scammers present a very good opportunity, which is almost too good to be true. Greedy people and / or innocents not savvy enough to know better fall for it. Quick cash.

You have to remember, whenever there's real money involved, someone will always try to find the best way to get it without putting too much work in.

Also something they teach in economy classes all over is that high gain comes at high risk. High risk means you'll probably be on the wrong end of the bell curve when it hits the fan, but most people get blinded by the returns and forget the statistics.

There will always be people screaming out "scam" whenever a new proposition surfaces; the problem is there's no way to vouch for that proposition even if it's legit. The biggest advantage of Bitcoin, that it's decentralized, is its biggest problem too, as no one can be vouched for easily.

Activity: 644
June 25, 2014, 08:44:41 AM
because too many dumb (and greedy) people in this forum who believe this random coin will huge success  Roll Eyes
many scammer try to get profit from altcoin, usually with IPO and premine (or instamine too)
and many "investor" don't learn from previous lesson
Activity: 207
June 25, 2014, 07:51:25 AM

Activity: 546
June 24, 2014, 09:30:54 AM
Very simple, money is all Grin
Activity: 569
June 24, 2014, 06:56:14 AM
Scamming happens everywhere, both in bitcoin and fiat. And the only reason I can think of is greed...
Activity: 224
June 24, 2014, 05:07:15 AM
Short answer:

Because they can.

Or maybe because there's a new sucker born every day?

All the explanations given in this thread basically boil down to one central point:

If people wouldn't fall for scams so easily scammers wouldn't exist.

And why do people fall for scams usually? Because of their own greed.

And yes I am very aware that this is a simplification of matters.
Activity: 434
June 24, 2014, 03:36:36 AM
When it would be more profitable to stay legitimate instead?

For example there was Stackcoin. Its dev had an IPO that raised 70 BTC. It had an interesting idea and screenshots were posted showing the concept being developed. Wouldn't it have been more profitable to just develop the coin instead?

Or the Sharexcoin exchange. A lot of development went into that site and the site was a fully functioning exchange which would have been a good long term investment for the site owner. But instead the owner decided to scam its users by closing the site and running off with its users' coins. I think he was later caught trying to sell 24 million QORA on Poloniex which they were able to identify and seize.

It doesn't make any sense. Huh
Well he could have alot bigger profit from sharexcoin exchange since exchanges make alot of money on fees indeed.
And scammers scam cuz they just want fast money to spend them now, not for planning future or anything like that.
Activity: 26
June 24, 2014, 12:59:49 AM
I think there are a lot of parallels to ponzi schemes throughout the years.  A lot of ponzi schemes start at completely legitimate operations.  And then at some point along the path hardship causes people to dip into the reserves/holdings with the thought they can pay it all back.  But then circumstances arise or markets fall enough to push these past where they can hide and everything gets exposed.  I think some of the things in the BTC are just up front plain old scams.  However, it may be the case in the exchanges that some of them died in a similar manner.  Exchanges are under pressure to grow and handle greater trading demands.  If they don't have enough external funding it would be tempting to use account holder funds to help fund infrastructure expansions with the goal of just paying it back with transactions fees later.  However, it the market swings wildly this can get exposed.  Seeing that the end result is the same one has to just decide whether it was intentional or if it was just incompetence which turned criminal. 
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
June 23, 2014, 10:43:41 PM
One word: Lazy
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
June 23, 2014, 10:37:51 PM
In the long term, yes, it would be more profitable to be honest. However, my best answer to this question is that the nature of scammers is a combination of laziness and greed. They want to make Bitcoin from their couches without doing any work and that's why you still see the Irish lottery showing up in spam boxes everywhere even though most people who have been around the Internet for a while know it's a scam. It doesn't help that there are still a few suckers out there.
bitcoinnaire
June 23, 2014, 10:02:35 PM
I think, and this is just imho that a lot of people see $$ and stop thinking with a rational brain, or halt all rational thinking. I've been on both ends, I haven't scammed anyone but I've thought about it. A lot of it for me comes from being desperate and the situation you are in. That's my experience with it, and then there are people who know how gullible a person or people can be, and play on it. It's the human condition, people want to fall for the bleeding heart, I've been watching a lot of X-Factor type shows lately, (I know i'm terrible) and all it seems you have to do is have a sad story and some kind of like weeping and you are in the hearts of millions. I'm not saying a lot of these people don't have legitimate need, but sometimes your thinking gets warped when you are in need.

I know this from experience, never scammed anyone have thought about ways because of all the bad luck I've had in the past couple of years that it would be nice to have some money to actually fall back on.

I don't know that doesn't mean anything I'm doing or have done is out to scam anyone but I definitely have thought about it.
Activity: 22
June 23, 2014, 09:54:31 PM
They are too lazy to make their own way.
Pages:
Jump to: