Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is NXT not the number 2 coin? - page 12. (Read 16886 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 501
April 25, 2015, 10:53:40 AM
NXT is more like the Linux of crypto.

Odd comparison to make as linux has extensive adoption, acceptance and development support from many large private companies. "Linux" is found within most consumer devices these days in one form or another.

the first with a functioning Asset Exchange, decentralized Marketplace, Monetary System,
False, false and false. I suppose the other first examples don't classify as functional in your opinion despite them functioning.

There's no such thing as a 'fair' launch. Is 1000 people fair? Is 10000 people fair? How about 5 billion people?

One great thing about PoW is that it allows for a fair and controlled distribution. Any ICO allows for shill accounts to distort distribution and than there is the added problem of the last minute change in NxT's ICO(Like was done with maidsafe coin) compounding the problem.
Activity: 251
Merit: 250
April 25, 2015, 10:37:41 AM
I don't think NXT is dying.  They have a good, enthusiatic team.  And I think they are well funded.  They are a major sponsor in the upcoming Payment Expo.

A decent development team is about all they have going for them.
Which is actually the most important thing when it's only over a year old. These are just the beginnings.
Developing features, interconnecting features, slowly improving usability, ironing out bugs, etc.

Waning user adoption and interest, lack of merchant acceptance, lack of VC investment and legitimate business interest.
Not too important at the moment. There are plenty of (techie) users in NXT/SuperNET slack and fora. NXT is not primarily used for payments, so there's no real need for merchants accepting NXT. Leave that to BTC for the time being. VC's have trouble investing in decentralized community based opensource platforms, NXT is more like the Linux of crypto. Besides, VC's want to extract profits after a certain point of time, imo VC money is overrated and not always needed. There are some businesses using NXT (technology) by the way. Like smartcontracts.com, debune.org, and jetcoininstitute.com. And NXT is crypto sponsor of payexpo.com (not a crypto conference).

Part of NxTs problem deals with not having first mover advantage and another part of it is its tainted and questionable ICO. Bitcoin has enough problems with Satoshi being anonymous and possibly controlling between 2- 5% of all Bitcoins that will ever be mined but at least it was a fair POW distribution where anyone can mine. It is very likely (based upon the evidence) that between 5-9 users control most of the stake with NxT which is very troubling and why most people are apprehensive about getting involved with NxT.
But it does have first mover advantage. The first 100% PoS coin (no bitcoin clone), the first with a functioning Asset Exchange, decentralized Marketplace, Monetary System, etc. ICO is only 'questionable' in the eyes of miners that are angry they couldn't mine the shit out of it. Actually, there are some disadvantages if distribution is too even and there are no whales. There's less innovation, less sponsors, etc, mentioned in the NEM discussion iirc.

This will continue haunt them just like Paycoin, Dash, Maidsafecoin and many other coins that didn't have a fair launch.
There's no such thing as a 'fair' launch. Is 1000 people fair? Is 10000 people fair? How about 5 billion people?
April 25, 2015, 10:28:47 AM
Thanks for giving a fair and informative post.  So I guess it's in the hands of the NXT whales then if they want NXT to succeed.  Imo, they better make use of their stash than hoarding them.

Another dillemma NxT has is that it is a small group of whales controlling most the coins which is helping fund development and keep the coin going. Any fork with a fairer dispersion of most of the assets would compromise some of the developers interest in the project succeeding. This is the dillemma of an open source project that doesn't have enough interest to bring in enough developers for multiple reasons. With bitcoin you have developers working and testing for fun, to pad their resume, because a private company backed by VC capital has a vested interest in BTC succeeding, security researchers writing researchers papers, ect ... with NXT the developers are essentially all motivated bagholders.

This is why most alts will be destined to fail ... first mover advantage for a protocol or currency offers a tremendous advantage. Judging from the fact that all of Bitcoins weaknesses have very probable solutions which are being tested and will be released soon it doesn't bode well for NxT or other alts.
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
April 25, 2015, 10:25:41 AM
What are you saying?  NXT is a bubble?
No. I actually typed what I was saying.
So if it's not a bubble its market cap actually means something.
Of course it does. Amongst other (imo more important) things.
If marketcap according to CMC is your holy grail, please explain Rimbit.

I didnt mention CMC.  Only NXT's market cap.  Most coins at CMC are junk.  Like over 90% of them.
April 25, 2015, 10:23:43 AM
So if it's not a bubble its market cap actually means something.
Of course it does. Amongst other (imo more important) things.
If marketcap according to CMC is your holy grail, please explain Rimbit.
legendary
April 25, 2015, 10:21:56 AM
I don't think NXT is dying.  They have a good, enthusiatic team.  And I think they are well funded.  They are a major sponsor in the upcoming Payment Expo.

Waning user adoption and interest, lack of merchant acceptance, lack of VC investment and legitimate business interest.

Part of NxTs problem deals with not having first mover advantage and another part of it is its tainted and questionable ICO. Bitcoin has enough problems with Satoshi being anonymous and possibly controlling between 2- 5% of all Bitcoins that will ever be mined but at least it was a fair POW distribution where anyone can mine. It is very likely (based upon the evidence) that between 5-9 users control most of the stake with NxT which is very troubling and why most people are apprehensive about getting involved with NxT.

This will continue haunt them just like Paycoin, Dash, Maidsafecoin and many other coins that didn't have a fair launch.

Thanks for giving a fair and informative post.  So I guess it's in the hands of the NXT whales then if they want NXT to succeed.  Imo, they better make use of their stash than hoarding them.
April 25, 2015, 10:09:13 AM
I don't think NXT is dying.  They have a good, enthusiatic team.  And I think they are well funded.  They are a major sponsor in the upcoming Payment Expo.

legendary
April 25, 2015, 09:56:17 AM
CMC != economy

There are many more ways to judge the relevancy and usefulness of a coin other than market cap. NXT is dieing and become less relevant for many reasons. Most of the assets associated with Nxt are scams and ponzis as well.

Show me a millions of dollars flowing of VC funding flowing into a NXT project or a large change in merchant adoption and I will recant my concerns of NXT's future.

April 25, 2015, 09:51:42 AM
CMC != economy

There are many more ways to judge the relevancy and usefulness of a coin other than market cap. NXT is dieing and become less relevant for many reasons. Most of the assets associated with Nxt are scams and ponzis as well.

Show me a millions of dollars flowing of VC funding flowing into a NXT project or a large change in merchant adoption and I will recant my concerns of NXT's future.
legendary
April 25, 2015, 09:36:52 AM

So if it's not a bubble its market cap actually means something.  And if it grows to over a billion due to investor interest it will matter more to both consumers and businesses.
April 25, 2015, 09:32:15 AM
legendary
April 25, 2015, 09:23:01 AM
Why is NXT not the number 2 coin?

Why does it have to be a measure of penis's around here (or is it peni)?

So NXT's economy shouldn't be growing to more than a billion market cap, is that what you're saying?

CMC != economy

NXT's coins are limited.  If there is an influx of huge capital coming in NXT, naturally price will go up and the NXT economy will expand.

Marketcap is everything in this 'industry'.  If you're small you get ignored, if you're big everyone will notice you.  So hell yeah this is a dick measuring contest.

Do you think Rimbit's marketcap of $ 915,244 actually means anything? Wink
I consider marketcap only one of many indicators, easily manipulated (BanxShares with óne market) and there's things on CMC that are not even cryptocurrencies (Ripple or InstantDex).
Agreed, being in the top-10 does attract (superficial) attention. But serious people/businesses contemplating adopting a platform/currency for their use, will do a proper investigation before investing.

What are you saying?  NXT is a bubble?
April 25, 2015, 08:52:03 AM

So NXT's economy shouldn't be growing to more than a billion market cap, is that what you're saying?

CMC != economy

NXT's coins are limited.  If there is an influx of huge capital coming in NXT, naturally price will go up and the NXT economy will expand.

Marketcap is everything in this 'industry'.  If you're small you get ignored, if you're big everyone will notice you.  So hell yeah this is a dick measuring contest.

Do you think Rimbit's marketcap of $ 915,244 actually means anything? Wink
I consider marketcap only one of many indicators, easily manipulated (BanxShares with óne market) and there's things on CMC that are not even cryptocurrencies (Ripple or InstantDex).
Agreed, being in the top-10 does attract (superficial) attention. But serious people/businesses contemplating adopting a platform/currency for their use, will do a proper investigation before investing.
legendary
April 25, 2015, 06:55:18 AM

CMC != economy

NXT's coins are limited.  If there is an influx of huge capital coming in NXT, naturally price will go up and the NXT economy will expand.

Marketcap is everything in this 'industry'.  If you're small you get ignored, if you're big everyone will notice you.  So hell yeah this is a dick measuring contest.
April 25, 2015, 05:49:08 AM

CMC != economy
legendary
April 25, 2015, 04:37:12 AM

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Litecoin Association Director
April 25, 2015, 02:12:33 AM

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
April 25, 2015, 02:06:59 AM

Ya man, they took a good look at the CoinMarketCap Asset List.

http://coinmarketcap.com/assets/

Let's see:

NXT................... 37 assets all types/sizes, 60 sec blocks, liquid exchange, rock solid platform (I've done > 200 trades with zero issues)
Counterparty.......  7 assets, but near zero liquidity, 10-20 minute block times, down a lot just when you need it
Bitshares............  5 hedging assets, Wall Street ETFs and options will make these primitive tools irrelevant
Mastercoin.........   2 assets, but it's really all the controversial MAID vapor-PO
Nubits...............   who knew Jordan and his friends would sell a virtual Fed to the rubes?
Bitshares has 10sec block times with dpos and bitusd etc nxt doesnt have pegged assets only user issued assets.. Big lead for bitshares over nxt.. Nxt has better ui web wallet thats about it. Bitusd means you can essentially trade usd on blockchain.

They're derivatives contracts!  Stop lying to people!  Your "bitUSD" isn't actual USD.
Its not my bitusd. There are gateways which accept bitusd and give usd.. the value of
bitusd is pegged to usd and has been for 6 months. Thus I said essentially please reread and give more thought before responding.

This is a big advantage of bitshares over nxt.

The fact is that even with "gateways" bitUSD is fractionally reserved because the "gateways" in Bitshares aren't 100% reserved like in Ripple.  In Ripple, every IOU issued by a gateway is backed by the tangible asset (supposedly, if you trust the gateway operator).  In Bitshares, the "gateways" are simply a businesses taking a cut of processing transactions in and out of the Bitshares ecosystem.  Because Bitshares' "gateways" do not hold 100% reserves of the bitUSD, bitGold, bitSilver, etc to back the issued derivatives contracts which Bitshares, imo, disingenuously refers to as "assets", Bitshares cannot claim bitUSD is pegged to USD.  It's not pegged because if you can't fully convert all of the "digital assets" (Bitshares' derivatives contracts) to the physical asset there cannot be true parity.  What you have in Bitshares is a prediction market for derivatives contracts being sold to people under the auspices of it being equivalent to physical assets stored in a Swiss bank account.  This imo is not ethical and will lead to a lot of people who don't truly understand what they are purchasing being hurt.

The gatewayi helped setup in cryptosmith has the actual metal and is selling for bitassets..its traded 1:1 with the backed asset and the shorts are held with 2:1 collateral on the blockchain.

I knowwhat you say though And collateral comez into play because assets are shorted into existence.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
April 25, 2015, 12:05:27 AM

Ya man, they took a good look at the CoinMarketCap Asset List.

http://coinmarketcap.com/assets/

Let's see:

NXT................... 37 assets all types/sizes, 60 sec blocks, liquid exchange, rock solid platform (I've done > 200 trades with zero issues)
Counterparty.......  7 assets, but near zero liquidity, 10-20 minute block times, down a lot just when you need it
Bitshares............  5 hedging assets, Wall Street ETFs and options will make these primitive tools irrelevant
Mastercoin.........   2 assets, but it's really all the controversial MAID vapor-PO
Nubits...............   who knew Jordan and his friends would sell a virtual Fed to the rubes?
Bitshares has 10sec block times with dpos and bitusd etc nxt doesnt have pegged assets only user issued assets.. Big lead for bitshares over nxt.. Nxt has better ui web wallet thats about it. Bitusd means you can essentially trade usd on blockchain.

They're derivatives contracts!  Stop lying to people!  Your "bitUSD" isn't actual USD.
Its not my bitusd. There are gateways which accept bitusd and give usd.. the value of
bitusd is pegged to usd and has been for 6 months. Thus I said essentially please reread and give more thought before responding.

This is a big advantage of bitshares over nxt.

The fact is that even with "gateways" bitUSD is fractionally reserved because the "gateways" in Bitshares aren't 100% reserved like in Ripple.  In Ripple, every IOU issued by a gateway is backed by the tangible asset (supposedly, if you trust the gateway operator).  In Bitshares, the "gateways" are simply a businesses taking a cut of processing transactions in and out of the Bitshares ecosystem.  Because Bitshares' "gateways" do not hold 100% reserves of the bitUSD, bitGold, bitSilver, etc to back the issued derivatives contracts which Bitshares, imo, disingenuously refers to as "assets", Bitshares cannot claim bitUSD is pegged to USD.  It's not pegged because if you can't fully convert all of the "digital assets" (Bitshares' derivatives contracts) to the physical asset there cannot be true parity.  What you have in Bitshares is a prediction market for derivatives contracts being sold to people under the auspices of it being equivalent to physical assets stored in a Swiss bank account.  This imo is not ethical and will lead to a lot of people who don't truly understand what they are purchasing being hurt.
legendary
April 24, 2015, 10:42:56 PM
I think it's mostly due to first-mover advantage, and due to the community's perception that Bitcoin is "good enough." 

Not just that.  VC's are pumping millions (and soon to be billions) in Bitcoin related start ups.
Pages:
Jump to: