Pages:
Author

Topic: Why restrict newbs? - page 2. (Read 2165 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
June 28, 2013, 03:35:10 PM
SPAM SPAM  and TLDR....

A restriction of a newbie like myself is to prevent spam of boards but also of someone just creating manipulative accounts.  Of course there are probably some people with 10 or 20 accounts on here that are used just to help them con other people.  "My name is jimmy and what this guy says is right. You should invest in his scheme .eerrr plan."  Barriers of entry are made as a form of filtration this is not always a bad thing.

That is obvious, but why should that cost be necessarily paid in posts and time? We have a wonderful measure of value here that is transferable. It's called Bitcoin. Why not just use it the way it was meant to be used?
Activity: 4
June 28, 2013, 03:13:25 PM
SPAM SPAM  and TLDR....

A restriction of a newbie like myself is to prevent spam of boards but also of someone just creating manipulative accounts.  Of course there are probably some people with 10 or 20 accounts on here that are used just to help them con other people.  "My name is jimmy and what this guy says is right. You should invest in his scheme .eerrr plan."  Barriers of entry are made as a form of filtration this is not always a bad thing.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
June 28, 2013, 03:13:01 PM

Can't figure out what is their consideration of doing this. No one answer questions from Newbie at all. Why they are so sure newbie must not raise good questions and have to be kept prison here...

I answer questions from newbies sometimes. The problem is that very few people actually look for the answer themselves, so we get many, many threads on the same topic, and it feels repetative to answer the same questions over and over and over again. Many times there is even a thread on the same topic on the first page of the section they post in. Like this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/newbie-readme-177133
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hi-everyone-problem-to-send-pm-244803
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/readme-replies-177136
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/posting-so-that-i-can-send-messages-245409
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/whitelist-requests-want-out-of-here-15911
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-can-i-activate-replies-244728

OK, so some of those are more relevant than others, but I just went through the first couple pages of 'Newbies'

Sure, but it would be nice to define the terms clearly. It would also be nice to have a possibility to pay some BTC in order for these restrictions to be lifted with immediate effect.

The forums gets about 100-1,000 people per week. Having all of them post on one day would be chaotic. Now think about paying. Think about paying .01BTC to get out of Newbie Mode. Now think about that amount increasing per month because of demand. PEOPLE BE PAYIN DAT .12. The forum would be rich. Now think about how much the donation groups would be. Wanna pay 20BTC for the current 10BTC donation package?

The forum already has way more money than they know what to do with, they do not need to add a payment to join.
Activity: -
Merit: -
June 28, 2013, 03:09:59 PM
I think it is to prevent noobs and smpammers from cloggin' up the forums.. That is my theory anyways.

Sure, but it would be nice to define the terms clearly. It would also be nice to have a possibility to pay some BTC in order for these restrictions to be lifted with immediate effect.

Think about this:

The forums gets about 100-1,000 people per week. Having all of them post on one day would be chaotic. Now think about paying. Think about paying .01BTC to get out of Newbie Mode. Now think about that amount increasing per month because of demand. PEOPLE BE PAYIN DAT .12. The forum would be rich. Now think about how much the donation groups would be. Wanna pay 20BTC for the current 10BTC donation package?

Not to mention, that when people scam they'd feel they're entitled to not getting banned, or having a scammer-tag. So of course that would be abusing that method. Not to mention they'd probably be able to lift the scammer-tag by money.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1257
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
June 28, 2013, 03:09:31 PM
Useless countermeasure.
With such easy captha protection spammers can easily create thousands of accounts, if they want.
Instead of annoying 4 hours post restriction better to create 1 hour delay between posts.
Know, where are a lot of newbies in world, but I'm reading this forum for a months before one reply in very important topic and had waited for 4 hours...
Useless?
Surely you wasn't there when it was decided...
June 28, 2013, 03:02:59 PM
I think it is to prevent noobs and smpammers from cloggin' up the forums.. That is my theory anyways.

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Designer - Developer
June 28, 2013, 02:53:49 PM
June 28, 2013, 02:52:08 PM
What needs to happen for the restriction to post to other topics to be lifted?

A prime example for the need of restrictions.

5 post and to be on the forum for 4 hours.

To be on the forum AFTER the fifth post or after the first post or in total? Also, how does my question exemplify the need for these restrictions?
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform
June 28, 2013, 02:34:17 PM

A prime example for the need of restrictions.

5 post and to be on the forum for 4 hours.
June 28, 2013, 02:30:50 PM
June 28, 2013, 02:21:58 PM
1. Spam.
2. Discourage the same question being asked over and over.
3. They hate me.
4. I am so alone  Cry
5. ?? ?? ?? ??
6. Profit baseball-bat in face

LOL

I told you they hate me
Activity: 5
June 28, 2013, 02:17:04 PM
1. Spam.
3. They hate me.
4. I am so alone  Cry
5. ?? ?? ?? ??

LOL
Activity: 546
June 28, 2013, 01:23:20 PM
I enjoy my newbie sub-forum enslavement. I have a collar and these shiney shackles to prove it ^_^
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
June 28, 2013, 01:03:30 PM
Useless countermeasure.
With such easy captha protection spammers can easily create thousands of accounts, if they want.

cool! then do it! Tongue
Activity: 5
June 28, 2013, 12:53:58 PM
Useless countermeasure.
Instead of annoying 4 hours post restriction better to create 1 hour delay between posts.
Know, where are a lot of newbies in world, but I'm reading this forum for a months before one reply in very important topic and had waited for 4 hours...
Activity: 532
June 28, 2013, 12:47:55 PM
Theres good reason for this rule. It keeps out the hoardes of scammers, and spammers we would get without the restrictions. If your serious about being a member of the forums, 4 hours on the forums and 5 posts shouldnt be a problem.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
June 28, 2013, 12:44:24 PM
1. Spam.
3. They hate me.
4. I am so alone  Cry
5. ?? ?? ?? ??
June 28, 2013, 12:39:02 PM
1. Spam.
3. They hate me.
4. I am so alone  Cry
5. ?? ?? ?? ??
6. Profit
Activity: 700
What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!
June 28, 2013, 10:20:46 AM
The problem with restricting newbies is that it is offputting to the casual investigator who may be looking at starting to use bitcoin or other crypto currency. The major purpose of this site and the community in general should be to expand the number of people using bitcoin - and promote its acceptance and the understanding of it. Creating artificial impediments for new users and or otherwise putting them off by being rude/obnoxious or generally boorish is detrimental to the adoption of bitcoin by the broader community and hence its value and its future.

If they're casual investigators then they'll be interested in reading. They won't bother to register and ask a question.

If they do prefer to ask a question, it'll be one that's been answered a million times before so it seems the restriction serves existing and new users equally.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
June 28, 2013, 10:00:48 AM
I have no problem with it and wish more boards did the same.
Pages:
Jump to: