Pages:
Author

Topic: Why the loss of confidence in litecoin? - page 8. (Read 13827 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
October 19, 2013, 02:36:48 PM
Another might be a code implementation.
Wat?
You really think that there might be a bug in bitcoin, a software with many expert developers and thousands of active uses, so bad to completely undermine it and unfixable... and you compare it to litecoin, that... I can't even bear to finish the sentence.
It's unbelievable.

A third might a bad effect from a hostile fork (say Mastercoin has something weird happen, zerocoin, colored coin, etc)
And what could these coins do to undermine bitcoin?
And why should litecoin be immune instead?

Maybe some might advocate a world with just one Operating System as the best of all possible worlds, but people are free to choose.
So far you have only said "bitcoin could fail because of X, litecoin is not bitcoin, hence if bitcoin fails litecoin will be still here".
This is beyond nonsense.
You should have pointed out something litecoin-specific that saves it while bitcoin fails.
And, btw, the resons for possible failures do not work anyway, as I already explained.

Please try again.
Activity: 518
Hodl!
October 19, 2013, 02:03:50 PM
IMO, it's all temporary burnout due to Mt Gox's unfulfilled stated ambitions.

Seems to me it makes a perfect little sidekick for BTC, I see buying coffee or article subscriptions or MP3s with LTC, fast(er) microtransactions. There's always going to be "disputed territory" between the two of them, but I think there's stuff that BTC doesn't necessarily want to bend itself over backwards to accommodate, that litecoin will.

BTW "7950s in milkcrates" jab, hah, took only 6 months to be a snob about it. At last peak in spring, with all the transaction volume that entailed, most of BTC was running on that kind of thing, apart from the 5 people that got B1 Avalons by then.

Anyway, I'd think it would be trading at 7 or 8 bucks by now if the Mt Gox stupidity had not ensnared it. It probably will be about there a month after the first Gox bubble and crash, or Gox claim no way no never no how on LTC, and release it from the bonds of uncertainty.

Sign up for my cryptofinance newsletter for only 6 BTC for a year ..... (Kidding)

Flash
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
October 19, 2013, 01:55:15 PM
how many of you have heard of the ip protocol? this is NOT about OS'es or freedom of speech/choice. its about have a common protocol for communication/money transfers, because that is in the best interest of everybody.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
October 19, 2013, 01:20:24 PM
I have LTC but it's a hedge against something unforseen happening to Bitcoin.
Give me one single example of something bad which might happen to affect Bitcoin but not affect neither Litecoin nor cryptography in general.
(hint: is sha is broken, we would have much bigger problems than Bitcoin)

It looks like you provided one for yourself, but with the caveat that if it were to occur that you would also have other concerns.

Another might be a code implementation.
A third might a bad effect from a hostile fork (say Mastercoin has something weird happen, zerocoin, colored coin, etc)

Maybe some might advocate a world with just one Operating System as the best of all possible worlds, but people are free to choose.

It is also a good thing to have another viable currency with an active economy where other sorts of experimentation can occur.  Personally I'd have wished hostile forks such as Mastercoin be implemented on Litecoin first, but I don't have the luxury of making such choices.

Bitgoblin
October 19, 2013, 12:15:21 PM
I have LTC but it's a hedge against something unforseen happening to Bitcoin.
Give me one single example of something bad which might happen to affect Bitcoin but not affect neither Litecoin nor cryptography in general.
(hint: is sha is broken, we would have much bigger problems than Bitcoin)
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
October 19, 2013, 12:12:17 PM
The today's stock/currencies/commodities world we live in you don't find only 1 of them but much more different kinds/values/purposes.
Cute, but litecoin has no different "kinds", "values" or "purposes".

I was referring to different markets in general, your answer didn't make sense at all
legendary
October 19, 2013, 10:43:22 AM
I bet you all will care when Litecoin gets more attention and it's value has gone up a lot. Like i said early Bitcoin days arrogant people thought the same and didn't care, thought it wasn't going to make it, redditors posting their big sell off stories since their trust was gone because of mtgox/btc/govenment/regulator issues. Look where it's now. You can believe whatever you want, time will tell
cool, just repeat yourself. It is not the same critisism that hit bitcoin when started. Your whole argument is built around that the history of Litecoin is similar to Bitcoin's history.
Quick hint for you: IT IS NOT.

The reason for this, is that before bitcoin came into existence there existed no such concept as cryptocurency or blockchain. Bitcoin invented this. Litecoin is a copy "made in chain"-style. The void that Litecoin tries to fill, is already filled by Bitcoin. The void that bitcoin filled does not exist anymore, so the chance for Litecoin's survival is very very small.

Bitcoin did not exist before Bitcoin existed.
But bitcoin existed before Litecoin existed.

Litecoin is a reinvention of the wheel.

There just can't be only 1 digital currency in mainstream. The today's stock/currencies/commodities world we live in you don't find only 1 of them but much more different kinds/values/purposes. It's the system we live in where people get the chance to search for alternatives and this counts the same for digital currencies. In the near future, next to BTC there will be a secondary digital currency with the same attention as BTC, maybe even a third one. We are still in a very very early stage of cryptos. In a couple of years there won't be only BTC which will be popular and the second coin i see that has the most potential to succeed in the future (if BTC doesn't fail) is LTC. Now i'm sure the dev team behind Litecoin is working on it's progress. Like i said time will tell. You are looking at it from a technical perspective but it's not only the technical side that matters or the argument of Litecoin has to differentiate itself massively from Bitcoin to succeed. It doesn't have to be like that, not to mention Litecoin is not exactly the same and it's dev team are working to make it better and more different. It needs TIME
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
V for Victory or Rather JustV8
October 19, 2013, 10:27:06 AM
When BTC drops, LTC will rise. Same old story... Oh, and I hear Gox will post LTC "soon"!  Roll Eyes
legendary
You are WRONG!
October 19, 2013, 10:07:29 AM
I bet you all will care when Litecoin gets more attention and it's value has gone up a lot. Like i said early Bitcoin days arrogant people thought the same and didn't care, thought it wasn't going to make it, redditors posting their big sell off stories since their trust was gone because of mtgox/btc/govenment/regulator issues. Look where it's now. You can believe whatever you want, time will tell
cool, just repeat yourself. It is not the same critisism that hit bitcoin when started. Your whole argument is built around that the history of Litecoin is similar to Bitcoin's history.
Quick hint for you: IT IS NOT.

The reason for this, is that before bitcoin came into existence there existed no such concept as cryptocurency or blockchain. Bitcoin invented this. Litecoin is a copy "made in chain"-style. The void that Litecoin tries to fill, is already filled by Bitcoin. The void that bitcoin filled does not exist anymore, so the chance for Litecoin's survival is very very small.

Bitcoin did not exist before Bitcoin existed.
But bitcoin existed before Litecoin existed.

Litecoin is a reinvention of the wheel.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
October 19, 2013, 10:02:39 AM
because litecoin brings nothing significant to the table that bitcoin does not have.
+1
legendary
October 19, 2013, 09:57:35 AM
I bet you all will care when Litecoin gets more attention and it's value has gone up a lot. Like i said early Bitcoin days arrogant people thought the same and didn't care, thought it wasn't going to make it, redditors posting their big sell off stories since their trust was gone because of mtgox/btc/govenment/regulator issues. Look where it's now. You can believe whatever you want, time will tell. Also i'm investing with money i can afford to lose and i made a nice profit with Litecoins present, but the biggest up rallies has yet to come
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
October 19, 2013, 09:54:50 AM
Where are the best places to purchase or otherwise obtain litecoin?

Usually btc-e, but you can also try asking in the alt-coin trade part here
CoinMKT has it on exchange too.
Activity: 680
October 19, 2013, 09:54:12 AM
I have LTC but it's a hedge against something unforseen happening to Bitcoin. I have other alts but I still see LTC as the silver and no other alt so far is a threat in that regard (just my opinion). Some people like XPM because it's scientific and fair enough but again IMO it's science of finding primes is of very limited value and results so far seem very "meh".

The bigger question is if both of these fail then there are going to be some big questions hitting altcoin investors and you could see the demise of altcoins in their current form altogether, and perhaps a move to software that sits above the Bitcoin protocol rather than alongside it.
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
October 19, 2013, 09:34:23 AM
because litecoin brings nothing significant to the table that bitcoin does not have.
+1
Bitgoblin
October 19, 2013, 09:31:54 AM
+1
legendary
You are WRONG!
October 19, 2013, 09:25:18 AM
Your a joke
Please explain why, then, you've only said empty statements like "bright future".
Also, "you're".

There has been plenty of information about Litecoin. I'm sure you have read them, but still not convinced. Makes me think when people where bashing Bitcoin in it's early days, look where it's now. I would say time will answer your question
The problem is that in the early days of bitcoin, bitcoin did not already exist. Bitcoin was and is an bright innovation.

Bitcoin now exists, and Litecoin is only reinventing the wheel.

I don't hate Litecoin, i just don't care about it.
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
October 19, 2013, 09:22:54 AM
I think bitcoin has a future and litecoin has none. If litecoin has no future, then you are losing money by holding litecoin and not bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
October 19, 2013, 09:20:47 AM
Don't believe people who hating on LTC so much, these are the impatient types who come and mumble some BS or very unexperienced with investing/trading in general.

I don't believe people hate Litecoin. It's just most people were using it as a tool to obtain more Bitcoins than they could mine otherwise. That's been and gone now, they got what they wanted and now have no further use for it. For the time being anyway.
legendary
October 19, 2013, 09:10:47 AM
Your a joke
Please explain why, then, you've only said empty statements like "bright future".
Also, "you're".

There has been plenty of information about Litecoin. I'm sure you have read them, but still not convinced. Makes me think when people where bashing Bitcoin in it's early days, look where it's now. I would say time will answer your question
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
October 19, 2013, 08:58:29 AM
There appears to be some concerns over Litecoin Foundation. Don't know if this has been resolved as of yet?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=313210.0;all
Pages:
Jump to: