Pages:
Author

Topic: Why the loss of confidence in litecoin? - page 2. (Read 13827 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
November 26, 2013, 01:47:36 PM
Still climbing!! Going great
legendary
Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015
November 26, 2013, 01:19:26 PM
Still using USD. Hilarious.

Predicted by yours truly by the way:
http://log.bitcoin-assets.com/?date=23-11-2013#389062

I guess many of you will come bragging - though most of you still did buy higher than what it is now.

you do realise that most of forum members here mined their ltcs. only few actually bought/exchanged it.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
November 26, 2013, 01:14:49 PM
Still using USD. Hilarious.

Predicted by yours truly by the way:
http://log.bitcoin-assets.com/?date=23-11-2013#389062

I guess many of you will come bragging - though most of you still did buy higher than what it is now. The only question is how long it will last, unless somehow something makes litecoin actually solving anything new.

You are always looking for an excuse to cover up your predictions that are way way...way off. I think your ego makes you blind to see how awesome and supportive Litecoin to Bitcoin actually is.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
November 26, 2013, 11:14:38 AM
$13.75 and climbing!!

Keep trolling, pankkake!!
legendary
November 26, 2013, 06:10:11 AM
i had a dream last night that LTC went up 8 USD in like one day.

Yes it was a dream.

Well his dream came true...

thanks for reminding me. i forgot about that. its great to notion that all those months of mining based on this belief didnt go to waste. i held on tight while all were abandoning the coin. i somehow thought there will always be market for alternatives and distribution of wealth must also apply to cryptos.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
November 26, 2013, 04:35:38 AM
Apparently, someone massively lost confidence in litecoin about 10-11 hours ago  Wink
Since you're going to gloat about yet another "but in the last X hours", you could have made a higher profit with many other altcoins (I believe at least 4 made +50-100%), Litecoin actually underperformed them. Not that I would recommend buying them.

Some people even think litecoin is going to lose its altcoin king crown!

There is such a thing as risk/reward ratio.

With other alt-coins risk/reward ratio is significantly higher, that's exactly why you wouldn't recommend buying them.

With Litecoin risk/reward ratio, in my opinion, is lower than with other alt-coins, so if somebody wants to make a wild bet, but wants to maintain relative peace of mind (not even bitcoin can provide 100% peace of mind, so it's all relative), Litecoin would be the first choice to buy. Other alt-coins do have potential, but are too risky now, that's why I wouldn't recommend putting more than 5% of total investment into other alt-coins, too risky. Yes, they can double in 24 hours, and they can lose their value as fast.

Of course, your view on risk/reward ratio can be different, and you are free to think that Litecoin is as risky as other alt-coins. And that's a good thing that you do, that way we can have balanced opinions about stuff. It's certainly not a good thing to be emotionally inclined when investing, and thank you for providing this kind of sobering down hot heads Smiley
legendary
November 26, 2013, 03:18:03 AM
Apparently, someone massively lost confidence in litecoin about 10-11 hours ago  Wink
Since you're going to gloat about yet another "but in the last X hours", you could have made a higher profit with many other altcoins (I believe at least 4 made +50-100%), Litecoin actually underperformed them. Not that I would recommend buying them.

Some people even think litecoin is going to lose its altcoin king crown!

Has the price jumped in response to your litecoin hate? Keep trolling  Cheesy
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
November 26, 2013, 02:17:23 AM

LTC/BTC ratio is slowly but surely approaching a fair one, 0.05 by February-March -> 0.1 in 1-2 years time -> maybe 0.25 some day.
legendary
Activity: 2008
Merit: 1028
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
November 26, 2013, 12:36:06 AM
i had a dream last night that LTC went up 8 USD in like one day.

Yes it was a dream.

Well his dream came true...
legendary
November 25, 2013, 11:30:16 PM
Wow, nice to see how much money I made off crappy litecoins today..lol
legendary
November 25, 2013, 08:22:34 PM
somebody heavily invested at 7pm gmt. impressive. seems they know something we dont. the price will probably rise alot soon. its funny to remember all those who dumped their ltcs for pennies when it was going down for a while. now we witness ressurection of a coin!
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
November 25, 2013, 07:53:00 PM
There is some confidence booster.
Litecoin on Businessinsider
New high ($11.56) and still cheap.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
November 25, 2013, 11:59:32 AM
Eh, I've got to get to work. I'll respond later.

Just so everyone knows, Pankkake runs this service: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hire-a-troll-quality-copywriter-240677

Roll Eyes

There's no way to tell if he's being paid for his services at this very moment, but it is certainly a possibility.
legendary
Activity: 1014
VIS ET LIBERTAS
November 25, 2013, 11:50:20 AM
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
November 25, 2013, 11:38:54 AM
If a vulnerability is found in sha256:
- the world collapses - seriously. much more than Bitcoin is at stake.
Yes I know this, but to say it is an impossibility is silly.

- bitcoin devs switch to a new PoW.

By the way, it's double SHA256.
It's not as easy to switch to a new PoW as you make it seem. First of all, all ASICs would be paperweights and the network would be very vulnerable to attack during the switch. Before they could get it switched, the devs would need to fix the code, users would need to download new clients and obtain majority, miners would have to get their old GPU rigs back up and running (if they still own them) and/or configure them for Bitcoin mining instead of scrypt. Simply switching to a new PoW would not neccessarily be the white knight bullet proof back up plan you seem to think it might be.

The reason it is less likely to go to zero than Litecoin is exactly what you just mentioned, the "network effect". Litecoin is offering nothing compelling to compromise on that network effect.
Again, this is just your opinion.

Blacklists and blockchain surveillance are are extremely easy to do, and can be retroactive too. Given that altcoins have even less activity and mixing services or tools readily available, they are more vulnerable. It is true, however, than an altcoin implementing a working version of ZeroCoin or any similar idea could fix it.
If it's so easy to do, then why don't you get a contract with the government and go for it? To setup a black list is actually very complicated. There are many ways one could launder BTC to make it untraceable. Including exchanging for another crypto currency then back to Bitcoin. Or selling Bitcoin via localbitcoins and then buying clean Bitcoins with cash. I'm not sure how you would track this, but according to you it is easy so I will await your reply.
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
November 25, 2013, 11:05:06 AM
And I get two butthurt replies about... LTC/USD, not LTC/BTC.
Keep being dumb!

You sir look to be the one thats butt hurt. The reason why Bitcoin is going up faster in value is simply because of the "network effect". It has nothing to do with whether it is better or worse than Bitcoin.

Litecoin has just as much as a chance to go to 0 as Bitcoin has.
You can't possibly be serious. Do you think there's an actual possibility of a Bitcoin fork to be worth more than Bitcoin itself?

Yes, it is certainly a possibility, not an impossibility like you imply. If a vulnerability is found in SHA256, perhaps a Scrypt coin would become more valuable than Bitcoin because it is likely to crash in this scenario. There are a few other scenarios where I could see this happening as well, perhaps due to constricting government regulation of Bitcoin, implementation of black lists, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you
November 25, 2013, 11:03:56 AM
From another thread. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/sss-a-sane-and-simple-bitcoin-savings-plan-345065

rpietila, would you also suggest this kind of plan for Litecoin (perhaps on a smaller scale right now)?

It is the standard plan for all kinds of high-risk events that can be reduced to either going up or crashing. For LTC it works exactly same way, you just need to do your homework to find the target value for LTC (or make the plan open-ended so that you always sell if it goes up more, and always hold some of the bag if it goes to zero).

I think LTC is overvalued at 0.01344, it does not offer anything compared to BTC, and it cannot be used anywhere. The whole community seems to consist of pump and dumpsters. I think the risk/reward is just not there compared to BTC.

- With Bitcoin (compared to fiat), you have (nearly) unlimited reward, compared to limited risk (all of your investment, but not more).

- With Litecoin (compared to Bitcoin), you have limited reward (small potential of a sustained LTC/BTC rate increase), compared to unlimited risk (much higher probability of going to zero, or orders of magnitude down).

I hope litecoin holders do understand they're taking much more risks, and thus should watch their holdings very closely.

we are not arguing about the nature of bitcoin being good or not, but the thing that you don't realize is that when Bitcoin gets mainstream its Blockchain will need some tweeking, we have been discussing the Block size limit for so long and all debates point to not increasing the Block size limit for a good reason, soon Bitcoin will be so valued that it would not make any sense sending $10 equal of bitcoins, more people will start making transactions, and many of them will make small ones. they will spam the blockchain with small transactions.

that being said, here where comes the litecoin part, I saw big attention lately around Litecoin from developers and entrepreneurs, hell even Bitpay was tweeting about the easiest way to buy Bitcoin and Litecoin, this attention wasn't brought just for fun or to scam people. think of the support that Litecoin offers to Bitcoin eco-system, How? follow me...

when Bitcoin price hits $1000 it will raise much faster, I don't know if you agree but most likely it will hit it and continue raising fast, people will start making really small transactions and I mean do allot of them, in 10 minutes (the average block target) the network will get really spammed.

Litecoin will be Ideal, 4x blocks in 10 minutes can release some unnecessary load on the bitcoin blockchain, $10,20,30,40,100 is not that problem now but it will be in the future and Litecoin will solve it, now you can argue about why Litecoin why not "put your desired coin" ? well I can answer this really easy, Litecoin is the most secure Alt and one of the few without Insta-mine or Pre-mine and maybe the only Alt with really active development which its developers also help developing Bitcoin, and the most accepted alt, and at this point there is no chance for existing alts to compete with its network or technology, everything I saw was a bad copy cat that they cant maintain.

most important, I will re-post this here, this analyses was over the weekend, and Chinese exchanges were excluded for some reason, but yet it is interesting to watch.

someone on the Wall Observer BTC/USD thread mentioned that Bitcoin price at BTC-e is $100 shorter   comparing to Gox and Bitstamp, so I remembered that I once wanted to deposit some Fiat in order to try arbitrage between Bitstamp and BTC-e (buy at BTC-e and sell at stamp), the surprising thing was that they acquire so much fee and they ask you to mark the deposit as it was meant for advertisement.... when I calculated what I would make of it I found out at the time it would cost me more to buy Bitcoins at BTC-e than at Bitstamp ( price was only $30 shorter than Bitstamp).

the point is that I was checking again, and the BTC-e Bitcoin order book was so small, so I made some research and I was amazed:

BTC-e Volume the last 24 hours combined on all pairs (alts) Is almost equal to Gox and stamp together:

Litecoin Trading Volume is the biggest and most surprising that Today comparing to the last few days is really small

so based on these charts I went and looked for transactions on both networks and again I was amazed when I looked to the last 24 hours Transactions, compare these charts

Litecoin

Bitcoin

now I believe that Strong Alts such Litecoin are really necessary for the long Term health of the eco-system, and even when I start thinking about the block size limit, we would not like to spam Bitcoin with worthless transaction when it goes more mainstream, as Litecoin can handle 4 blocks in 10 minutes it would make more sense to use the smaller transaction with Litecoin and Keep the big ones for Bitcoin.

legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
November 25, 2013, 10:55:52 AM
and yet the price of ltc just keeps going up. I think you are confusing your obsessive opinion (that there should only be one cryptocurrency) for fact. The price (fact) proves that most people disagree with you.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
How strong is your delusion?
Unless you're playing the "let's look at only the last few weeks" trick, litecoin has been slowly going down.

This statement is delusional: http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/period-charts.php?period=1-year&resolution=day&pair=ltc-usd&market=btc-e

You do understand that it has to be compared to holding bitcoins, which are less likely to go to zero? (see the bolded part of my quote)
Litecoin has just as much as a chance to go to 0 as Bitcoin has.

BTW my opinion isn't "there should be only one", but "there should be only one of a kind", and Litecoin fails to distinguish itself from Bitcoin, except in aspects it is actually worse.
This statement is just that, your OPINION. It is obvious there are others that share a very different opinion of Litecoin, as can be seen in the market.

-------------------------

I like both Bitcoin and Litecoin and use both, but my honest opinion is that I prefer to use Litecoin for transactions because they are confirmed faster. BTC fanatics love to say this is also less secure than the same number of confirmations compared to a Bitcoin confirmation, which is technically true. However, after over a year using Litecoin I haven't once had any problems with the security of confirmations or been scammed in this way.
legendary
November 25, 2013, 10:52:59 AM
and yet the price of ltc just keeps going up. I think you are confusing your obsessive opinion (that there should only be one cryptocurrency) for fact. The price (fact) proves that most people disagree with you.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
How strong is your delusion?
Unless you're playing the "let's look at only the last few weeks" trick, litecoin has been slowly going down.

How strong is YOUR delusion? I bought litecoins when they were 1/5 of a penny back in 2012 - I'd say they went up - A LOT.

The downtrend against bitcoin coincides with a lot more new scrypt coins taking market share from LTC. While BTC really only has Peercoin competing against it in SHA-256.

BTW my opinion isn't "there should be only one", but "there should be only one of a kind", and Litecoin fails to distinguish itself from Bitcoin, except in aspects it is actually worse.

Being mined on GPUs instead of ASICs is all the difference I need, and a lot of people agree.
legendary
November 25, 2013, 10:33:14 AM
I hope litecoin holders do understand they're taking much more risks, and thus should watch their holdings very closely.

Pages:
Jump to: