Pages:
Author

Topic: Why the merit system is heavily lopsided in favour of older users - page 4. (Read 1453 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 115
Lowest EVER interest lending! (Use escrow always)
Old members spent their time on the forum for a long time. So they definitely deserve those merit points. OP don't get salty for jumping on the boat late. Just get over it and post responsibly. Wink
What theymos did is already fair for all. Old members got their merits for staying here for long. And new members none since they have no contributions here. So contribute from now on and earn merits.

Nobody is getting salty, lmao. It's about the ratio, and the effort it takes to get where you are. To get 1000 free merit points by being an old user takes way less effort than actually grinding to get the 1000 merit points. It is a vast improvement to the previous system; it's just that in my view the distribution of merit points has been unfair/biased. Remember, it's just an opinion - I'm sure Legendary members than received a bunch of free merit will vehemently oppose my point, and all the Newbies will agree with me.
Activity: 83
Merit: 12
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Old members spent their time on the forum for a long time. So they definitely deserve those merit points. OP don't get salty for jumping on the boat late. Just get over it and post responsibly. Wink
What theymos did is already fair for all. Old members got their merits for staying here for long. And new members none since they have no contributions here. So contribute from now on and earn merits.
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
Indeed it is, but if you read what he wrote with understanding, you'd realize he was saying the system is good, but a lot of members ranked up by spamming and posting, which is true.

It really isn't fair that someone with 120 activity starts with a 100 Merits, and one with 112 activity starts with 10 Merits.

A lot of us probably wouldn't be Legendaries or Heroes if the Merit system was here from the beginning.
Theymos probably didn't want to degrade all of us back to 0, but it would probably be the most fair option if all of us started from 0 Merits.
We still have the upper-hand because we have enough activity to rank up, and some older posts someone will eventually read and perhaps spend some sMerits.
I'm getting annoyed by everyone talking to newbies like they're the scum of the earth.
First listen, then talk.
There's no fair way of handling the rank system. If we were all put down to 0 Merits then the more established members who have been here from the early days would probably find this unjust. It would of probably been a little more fair if everyone was distributed merit like they have been, but their sMerit was 0 then only those selected as sources could distribute the points. This would of likely meant that a lot more posts would go unmerited because out of the hundred thousands of accounts that are active here around 30 were selected to become sources granted this has now risen to 57.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150
Freedom&Honor
For Members and above, it's really no biggie, since they get free merit. But for newbies like myself, getting to the next rank is exponentially higher because you really have to grind. Grinding isn't bad... but imo it's really unfair. Just a mini-rant.
I think it's unfair to allow people to rank up by spamming and posting in activity periods. This system might not be perfect, but it's already showing that it's effective against account farming and encouraging users to post more constructively.  

Indeed it is, but if you read what he wrote with understanding, you'd realize he was saying the system is good, but a lot of members ranked up by spamming and posting, which is true.

It really isn't fair that someone with 120 activity starts with a 100 Merits, and one with 112 activity starts with 10 Merits.

A lot of us probably wouldn't be Legendaries or Heroes if the Merit system was here from the beginning.
Theymos probably didn't want to degrade all of us back to 0, but it would probably be the most fair option if all of us started from 0 Merits.
We still have the upper-hand because we have enough activity to rank up, and some older posts someone will eventually read and perhaps spend some sMerits.
I'm getting annoyed by everyone talking to newbies like they're the scum of the earth.
First listen, then talk.
EDIT: Okay, the edit you made kind of changes the context, now that's a nice reply.
Not like much I've read here so far.
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
Higher ranked members got more merit points than newly registered accounts because they are somewhat established and were needed to kick off the system. Otherwise, it would only be sources distributing the points in the early days. Yeah a lot of the accounts that are higher ranked have reached that rank by spamming and only posting nonsense in activity periods just to rank up however, these accounts probably won't adjust to the new system well and will likely not gain much merit from now on.

For Members and above, it's really no biggie, since they get free merit. But for newbies like myself, getting to the next rank is exponentially higher because you really have to grind. Grinding isn't bad... but imo it's really unfair. Just a mini-rant.
I think it's unfair to allow people to rank up by spamming and posting in activity periods. This system might not be perfect, but it's already showing that it's effective against account farming and encouraging users to post more constructively.  

Wait a few months until more sources are added and then evaluate and make consider making improvements on the system. As long as your making good on topic posts which contribute to the discussion or bring up important points for discussion then you'll get merit points. If you feel that your posts deserve more merit than they are getting you can post in one of the dozens of review threads.
Activity: 56
Merit: 115
Lowest EVER interest lending! (Use escrow always)
This is not a rant about why merit sucks; imo it's a good and interesting system, but the amount of bias that comes into play is insane. For example, when I joined the forum, the merit system was already implemented. It is already evident to me that it is very hard to get merit, much less get to 100 or 1000. But, had I stayed on the forum only 4-5 days before merit was implemented, and had I posted around a bit, when the merit system rolled in I would have automatically gotten 100 merit points - something that now takes weeks, if not months of quality posting.

Pages:
Jump to: