Pages:
Author

Topic: Why would someone create topic that deserves merit but won't be merited? - page 2. (Read 234 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
Life's but a walking shadow!
Being in this forum for a sometime now I have discovered and observed that some people created quality topics here that deserves merit but they won't get merited, instead  people that just did a little contribution, post or comment on that topic will end up getting merit.
Before i say anything, you should understand that merit is a very subjective case, and a post you consider merit worthy may not be so for other users, thus if you consider a post merit worthy, meaning if they meet your merit criteria, and you have some smerits, give some to such post and move on. But then, here are some reasons why an OP might not receive merit, but some replies and response to such threads get merited:
1) The content in the OP could be wrong.
2) The content in the OP may not have been well structured, thus making it ambiguous to read/understand.
3) The content in the OP was just a ploy at fishing merits.
4) The content in the OP was redundant.
5) The content in the OP helps absolutely no user here.
6) Users/merit sources who saw the post didn't feel it deserved any merit, or it was a topic they are not interested in, etc, etc.

Replies to a thread could earn merits for quite a lot of reasons, a few of which are:
1) The reply corrects the misconception of the OP.
2) The reply was better structured and sensible than the OP.
3)The reply contained some new/novel information that can help other users.
4) Other users or MS considered it worthy of merits.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
Being in this forum for a sometime now I have discovered and observed that some people created quality topics here that deserves merit but they won't get merited, instead  people that just did a little contribution, post or comment on that topic will end up getting merit.

Please I need someone to give me a vivid explanation to that, from old members who has been here for long.
Thanks

In any case it is the other way around, you are the one who has to give examples of what you are saying.

If you know of posts that deserve merit but have not received any, you can comment on them in the thread Charles-Tim has linked to.

Regarding posts that receive merits without deserving them, one thing is that there is a clear abuse and another thing is that giving merits is somewhat subjective, and many times they are given not so much because the writer has made a great effort, but for saying something funny, or something simple and brief but that hits the central point of what is being discussed, etc.

But in general, if you make good contributions to the forum, you will receive merits.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
I have discovered and observed that some people created quality topics here that deserves merit but they won't get merited
You can report any topic you think it deserves merit(s) on this thread below:

[self-moderated] Report unmerited good posts to Merit Source
Activity: 798
Merit: 546
Being in this forum for a sometime now I have discovered and observed that some people created quality topics here that deserves merit but they won't get merited, instead  people that just did a little contribution, post or comment on that topic will end up getting merit.

Please I need someone to give me a vivid explanation to that, from old members who has been here for long.
Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: