Pages:
Author

Topic: Would you buy a hardware wallet? - page 18. (Read 24769 times)

Activity: 195
Merit: 100
September 09, 2014, 11:11:00 PM
I really need such a hardware wallet which can be used like USB KEY.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
August 31, 2014, 12:25:45 PM
Hi all,

I am doing some research for a Bitcoin company that is interested with developing a hardware wallet to see if it has a viable market. Trezor has some traction, but perhaps only in the existing Bitcoin community. With things like Multi-sig popping up everywhere, do you think this negates some of the pressing need for Hardware wallets? Interested to hear your thoughts.
Of course alongwith me many people are gonna buy it security concern has been increasing day by day.People are more and more worried about storing their coins somewhere safely
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
August 28, 2014, 10:24:54 AM
are there any alternatives but trezor ?

I've only read many messages about Trezor. Not sure whether there are reliable alternatives yet, but I'm sure they'll be developed otherwise. 

I think Trezor already is a great device, but the current price of $119 is a bit too high for me. However, if you own many BTC and do pay with BTC offline, I don't think the price of a Trezor is too high then for you.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
August 28, 2014, 10:12:24 AM
are there any alternatives but trezor ?
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
August 27, 2014, 04:09:53 PM
I'd buy if it is secure and easy to use
Activity: 623
Merit: 500
CTO, Ledger
August 27, 2014, 11:21:56 AM
Would that be a smartcard based wallet with a display like the trezor so that we can visually validate the transaction?

No, it's only a smartcard, so it has no display - however it can "type" a summary of the transaction as a keyboard, acting as a different second factor validation - for more details, check https://hardwarewallet.com/ ("Application Security") or https://btchip.github.io/btchip-doc/bitcoin-technical.html#_user_validation ("User validation") for a more technical explanation.

Ah. My bank's 2fa token is an EMV card that also has a ~ 14 key keypad, a display and a built-in battery so I figured it ought to be possible in a standard smartcard form factor.

it's possible, just a bit more work (and money, of course). I'm calling that a display card, not a smartcard though, but probably only because I'm too pedantic Smiley

If I were to buy a hardware wallet, it would be to protect me if my computer is compromised. The use case where the wallet is stolen and I need to protect against brute force attacks doesn't seem too important, because $5 wrench attack. I'm not really keen on buying a hardware wallet if it doesn't fully cover the case where my computer is compromised.

this second factor scheme protects you well enough if your computer is compromised, in my opinion. Feel free to discuss why you think it doesn't by PM if necessary  Smiley

I guess your solution should be much cheaper than trezor though.

yep, "much" sums it up pretty well.
Activity: 215
August 27, 2014, 10:47:30 AM
Would that be a smartcard based wallet with a display like the trezor so that we can visually validate the transaction?

No, it's only a smartcard, so it has no display - however it can "type" a summary of the transaction as a keyboard, acting as a different second factor validation - for more details, check https://hardwarewallet.com/ ("Application Security") or https://btchip.github.io/btchip-doc/bitcoin-technical.html#_user_validation ("User validation") for a more technical explanation.

Ah. My bank's 2fa token is an EMV card that also has a ~ 14 key keypad, a display and a built-in battery so I figured it ought to be possible in a standard smartcard form factor.

If I were to buy a hardware wallet, it would be to protect me if my computer is compromised. The use case where the wallet is stolen and I need to protect against brute force attacks doesn't seem too important, because $5 wrench attack. I'm not really keen on buying a hardware wallet if it doesn't fully cover the case where my computer is compromised.

I guess your solution should be much cheaper than trezor though.
CTO, Ledger
August 27, 2014, 09:40:07 AM

legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1009
August 27, 2014, 09:24:29 AM
Would consider that. But really deppends on price, uses I can have for it, secure, etc...
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
August 27, 2014, 08:23:08 AM
Yes if the hardware wallet is really secure, and not too expensive..

^  Agree. I would buy one for sure as soon as the price isn't that high and ofcourse the wallet has to be very secure.

And, it has to be easy to manage it.  I'm sure more of these devices will be developed soon as appearently there's definately interest for these products.
August 27, 2014, 08:21:09 AM
CTO, Ledger
August 27, 2014, 07:21:04 AM
With things like Multi-sig popping up everywhere, do you think this negates some of the pressing need for Hardware wallets?

It's still interesting security wise to make one part of the signature harder to steal, if the wallet is cheap enough - this is actually a good use case for our upcoming smartcard based wallet which will be demonstrated at launch with a multisig wallet partner.

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
Don't Hesitate to Tip me for My Helps and Guides.
August 26, 2014, 04:58:07 AM
Definitively if it cost around USD 30. Keep it very simple but secure. Hardware transaction signing is necessary given how much people computers are infected, without it Bitcoin cannot be adopted to the masses
Activity: 83
August 26, 2014, 04:45:39 AM
Of course I would buy if of without further thinking,anything goes off that's related to security and bitcoin preservation is worth trying
August 25, 2014, 09:40:58 AM
Yes, I'd buy one. But what would you have that trezor hasn't already done?

I also like the idea of eventually using trezor for other things, etc. password manager.
Activity: 882
Merit: 595
August 25, 2014, 02:58:24 AM
i would buy 1 but in my country the price is too high
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
🤖UBEX.COM 🤖
August 25, 2014, 12:44:34 AM
I think Hardware wallet would be more believable security wise so chances are that there is a good market for this.
Activity: 112
August 23, 2014, 11:14:18 AM
It is not safe that trezor stores recovery seed online.
trust yourself only and create paper wallets. if you need to spend BTC offline then use Electrum to broadcast transactions from offline pc.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
August 23, 2014, 07:02:20 AM
Trezor seems a bit expensive for something that small and simple.
But people buying iphones because of...? They are small actually simple and cost way more than a Trezor...
There are enought people with several hundreds of bitcoins and 130$ isnt really much compared to that.
Exactly it takes so little to make an iphone yet people keep buying those, stupid.
I am planing on buying a hardware wallet indeed. I think that it's my safest bet of keeping my coins stored. $130 is a small amount really.
Some physical bitcoins go for around the same price I think.

True.

Btw, it may not make sense to buy a Trezor to keep your 0.1 btc safe, but what if you have 100 btc? Wink
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
August 22, 2014, 06:55:56 PM
No, never.
I travel a lot and I don't want to carry any additional device besides my laptop and my tablet.
I believe it's one of BTC's greatest asset that it's immaterial. I don't want to change that.
Pages:
Jump to: