Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1052. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Yes probably. It should probably be slowed down some when we do a hard fork for other things like MRL-0004. The one minute block time was one of those things that TFT did anyway despite everyone else disagreeing. It was never intended that way (except by him, for god knows what reason).

good idea.
are there any discussions / opinions about what may be a good blockrate?

(i assume you'll keep the social contract intact. eg 2min blocks - doubled reward)

Maybe 2, maybe 4. There was one view that it should be >5 (I don't disagree in the abstract) but 8 seems a bit high. Yes about the social contract and that's what makes anything that isn't a power of two a bit tricker to stick with the same curve (but not impossible). With power-of-two it is trivial.

4 min should be OK. At present, there are not much transactions going on with XMR. Most of the blocks are mining rewards only. When XMR gets used more in the future, we can reduce the block time to 2 min, then 1 min, even 30s when internet is much faster resulting fewer orphan blocks.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
We're having a Monero Meetup in Berlin on May 24th, myself and David Latapie will both be there (he's promised to wear his gangster outfit).

All are invited: https://forum.getmonero.org/14/events/237/monero-meetup-berlin-germany-may-24th-2015
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Yes probably. It should probably be slowed down some when we do a hard fork for other things like MRL-0004. The one minute block time was one of those things that TFT did anyway despite everyone else disagreeing. It was never intended that way (except by him, for god knows what reason).

good idea.

(i assume you'll keep the social contract intact. eg 2min blocks - doubled reward)

Maybe 2, maybe 4. There was one view that it should be >5 (I don't disagree in the abstract) but 8 seems a bit high. Yes about the social contract and that's what makes anything that isn't a power of two a bit tricker to stick with the same curve (but not impossible). With power-of-two it is trivial.

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

good idea.

legendary

Miners can fill blocks with their own spam however they want but their reward will be reduced if the block size exceeds the median of the last N (I think 720) blocks. It would be pretty stupid to do this though since it will slow propagation and result in more orphaned blocks, even more so than with Bitcoin.

as you mention more orphans: do you think that our fast blockrate may lead to more miner-centralisation in the future?

is the cryptonote protocol able to use things like 1BLT for faster block propagation?

Yes there is no reason that would be any different than Bitcoin. There are some simpler improvements too, like just sending a few bytes of the txid with each block instead of the whole thing (most of the time transactions in a block have already been sent).

Miners can fill blocks with their own spam however they want but their reward will be reduced if the block size exceeds the median of the last N (I think 720) blocks. It would be pretty stupid to do this though since it will slow propagation and result in more orphaned blocks, even more so than with Bitcoin.

as you mention more orphans: do you think that our fast blockrate may lead to more miner-centralisation in the future?

is the cryptonote protocol able to use things like 1BLT for faster block propagation?

i still dream of quite electric heaters or boilers; companies could gift them - users pay with their mined coins.
legendary
What determines the per-KB transaction fee?

The size of the transaction once it is encoded? I maybe didn't understand the question?

No, the size of the transaction is variable mostly upon the mixin count as far as I understand it, but what determines the fee implemented to check blockchain "spam"?

Oh there is a hard coded minimum of 0.01 currently, which is the recommended fee for <= 1 KB. Nothing lower than that will be forwarded. Eventually we would like to move to something more like Bitcoin 0.10's dynamic fees.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

The size of the transaction once it is encoded? I maybe didn't understand the question?

No, the size of the transaction is variable mostly upon the mixin count as far as I understand it, but what determines the fee implemented to check blockchain "spam"?
legendary
It's quite obvious that quote was taken out of context. Regardless of the reason bitMonero was created, its reward curve was never altered. The same cannot be said for darkcoin/dash.

Where is this stated in how monero got started?  I'd like to see some transparency around here.

The history is pretty clearly outlined here:
https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/211/history-of-monero

Excellent, I was wondering where that was.

The rest of the quote for context:

You are absolutely right. The difference between this coin [meaning DRK] and that coin is that here, no one took over.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
It's quite obvious that quote was taken out of context. Regardless of the reason bitMonero was created, its reward curve was never altered. The same cannot be said for darkcoin/dash.

Where is this stated in how monero got started?  I'd like to see some transparency around here.

The history is pretty clearly outlined here:
https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/211/history-of-monero
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
I'll just leave this here.

Don't forget that Monero was launched with the sole purpose of being a scam.  Original devs only did it for the money.  If the community didn't take it over and find a whale to back it, the coin would be dead right now. 

You are absolutely right. -snip-

Nice to know I'm right and not just spreading FUD or being a 'monero hater'.  Where is this stated in how monero got started?  I'd like to see some transparency around here.
how I feel about choosing a crytocurrency based on availability of a GUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puo1Enh9h5k

(for those who don't want to click, its the indiana jones last crusade scene where they have to "choose wisely")

but, but, but... there are gui's?
multiple....
even a very nice web-based one...

its an opensource project... who cares about something official?
if someone forks monero and adds a rpc-call i need i'd use it - but it wont be official Wink

to be serious:
at this stage a gui is not really needed. its important that we have mymonero so not-so-tech-savy people can get on board in a trustless way (we need them, so lets make sure they dont get scammed).
anybody else can learn the few commands needed to start, receive and send transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
how I feel about choosing a crytocurrency based on availability of a GUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puo1Enh9h5k

(for those who don't want to click, its the indiana jones last crusade scene where they have to "choose wisely")
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Mental note: create an account at Monero forum at the next days and unsubscribe from this shitty thread full of off-topic.
Notice how my amount of posting substantially dropped here (the previous one was not even about Monero). And forum.getmonero.org finally got a "subscribe" button.

So Long Bitcointalk, and Thanks for All the Phish
Bitcointalk is not a good environment if we want serious discussion about Monero. That much should be obvious. At some point we have to start cutting the apron strings and disconnecting from Bitcoin, especially since we share few common goals and no common code. It would be unfair of us to force newcomers interested in Monero to dig through thousands of scamcoin, shill, and troll posts on bitcointalk to find the occasional gem of information.

Additionally, you cannot possibly convince me that people needing help in running and using Monero should all gather in a single thread on a Bitcoin forum?? Nah, we've done our time here, there's no value in maintaining all the Monero threads on Bitcointalk. Anyone here who needs to know about Monero already does know about Monero;)
Merit: 250
Mental note: create an account at Monero forum at the next days and unsubscribe from this shitty thread full of off-topic.

It's very laughable (to not say fucking ridiculous) claiming about how a supposeddly anonymous/privacy-centric coin is distributed and from who supposeddly the addresses belong.

There are a lot of topics on Altcoin discussion about Darkcoin vs Monero. Like this: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/drk-vs-xmr-warez-962235
Not permitting people to talk about DRK in an XMR thread and XMR in a DRK thread is as silly as having an AMD forum where posters can't discuss Intel.
As silly as prohibiting Samsung users and developers from discussing Apple.

really? If I want to talk and discuss about AMD* I will not go on the main forum on intel.com.

you can still do it tho, and I can still say how its off-topic and annoying.

*neither AMD, Intel, Samsung or Apple are a scam

actually a discussion about competition is healthy and needs to take place.
i just cant see DRK as competition (and i really mean this honest and in a non-trolling way).

waiting until the bigger drk-whales are bored and have milked their cow is IMHO all thats needed.
i just feel bad for the bad for the smaller holders.
legendary
Not permitting people to talk about DRK in an XMR thread and XMR in a DRK thread is as silly as having an AMD forum where posters can't discuss Intel.
As silly as prohibiting Samsung users and developers from discussing Apple.

Okay talk about how it compares then. That's certainly valid.
Jump to: