Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1047. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

(github question still unanswered...) Smiley

Let's represent the full picture  Wink .

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/graphs/contributors

5 commits ..

smooth What's your current role then ?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

I seriously doubt that he is really concerned, but if so then those papers are no good because they aren't independent.

If I was interested in some kind of attack like your puppets I would do it ..

Your puppets? Sorry I didn't follow that.

You probably not aware but I was mined your coin during the summer of 2014 with my farm and already hold some coins ..
I'll look over the documentation to see what are you already improved.

Ok then. We're certainly interested in your feedback on the reports. If you also are looking for code improvements and work in progress as opposed to review and analysis you should also check the extended github (the monero-project master and also the various developer and contributor forks).

The year-in-review thing might be helpful, though of course that only covers 2014

Smooth, are these all your Monero commits or are there more? https://github.com/iamsmooth/bitmonero/commits/master?author=iamsmooth

There definitely more than that. Off the top of my head I can think of several checkpoint updates, implementing code to verify checkpoints at startup, and merging a bug fix from BBR. None of that is there, so that's a bit strange. I'm not sure where they all went

If you are looking for lots of code though, you won't find it, that's not my primary role on the project.
Activity: 392
Merit: 255

I seriously doubt that he is really concerned, but if so then those papers are no good because they aren't independent.

You probably not aware but I was mined your coin during the summer of 2014 with my farm and already hold some coins ..

Ok then. We're certainly interested in your feedback on the reports. If you also are looking for code improvements and work in progress as opposed to review and analysis you should also check the extended github (the monero-project master and also the various developer and contributor forks).

The year-in-review thing might be helpful, though of course that only covers 2014

Smooth, are these all your Monero commits or are there more? https://github.com/iamsmooth/bitmonero/commits/master?author=iamsmooth

this guy really loves you smooth: https://twitter.com/BlockaFett/status/580102058365362177

Cheesy

He's not my type.

(github question still unanswered...) Smiley
legendary

this guy really loves you smooth: https://twitter.com/BlockaFett/status/580102058365362177

Cheesy

He's not my type.

legendary

legendary
If you're really concerned you might want to take a look at these papers:

https://lab.getmonero.org/

The only way for him to know that reviews are done independently is to have his own performed.

This is not entirely facetious as I know of at least one large Bitcoin investor who has done this.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsTheOnlyWayToBeSure

Activity: 795
Merit: 514
If you're really concerned you might want to take a look at these papers:

https://lab.getmonero.org/

Oh, and here's what Peter Todd has recently said about Monero:

https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/579092073875308545
legendary
From what I saw from PeterTodd's comments about CN and ring signatures

How about instead of basing your opinion on "what you saw" (individual comments taken out of context by DRK supporters), you should read the entire context, including where he said he should buy some XMR (and never retracted that as far as I know), and also try to understand what is meant when someone with a lot of knowledge says that Monero has such-and-such an issue that is better solved by Zerocash (hint: it does not mean that Zerocash doesn't have problems of its own).

As far as the issues he pointed out with ring signatures generally, those were identified by us in MRL-0001 and addressed in MRL-0004. If you are interested and not trolling you might want to read those.

I'm not sure that your very well designed system is not full of exploits because its origin BCN was a scam and probably has a numerous backdoors inside..

It is reasonable to be skeptical about these things.

Because of that I would like to see a complete peer review of Moneros implementation of CN from an independent cryptographer/security professional.

Cool. You should pay for it then. The community would appreciate your contribution just as it appreciates others'

No thank you. I find these altcoin "peer review" efforts to be a little more than marketing for pumpers.

You should talk with a little more respect to other's work.

I call it as I see it, and I was not referring in particular to any individual's work.

Well, a exploit in Darkcoins darksend/anon system was found by a amateur coder a few hours after it was open sourced(And this was after Kristov Atlas supposedly peer reviewed darkcoins code) ...So I think that comment  of ,"No thank you. I find these altcoin "peer review" efforts to be a little more than marketing for pumpers." is pretty spot on.

Perfect point about technology that is in development stage.  Wink .
You probably not aware of the risks that hide the early development stages and releases of the code.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet

I'm snipping all the nonsense you posted about the darkcoin instamine scam because its not relevant here. There are threads for that (including one I created), you are welcome to post there instead of spamming.

It's not nonsense if you cannot defend your claims. I'll wait for clear evidences in the relevant thread then..

Not a whole lot, because the system is very well designed to begin with. What would be the purpose to change that  other than to play the altcoin feature pumping game, which doesn't interest us. We are focusing on incremental improvements, greater robustness, improved APIs, etc.

From what I saw from PeterTodd's comments about CN and ring signatures, I'm not sure that your very well designed system is not full of exploits because its origin BCN was a scam and probably has a numerous backdoors inside..
Because of that I would like to see a complete peer review of Moneros implementation of CN from an independent cryptographer/security professional.

No thank you. I find these altcoin "peer review" efforts to be a little more than marketing for pumpers.

Well, a exploit in Darkcoins darksend/anon system was found by a amateur coder a few hours after it was open sourced(And this was after Kristov Atlas supposedly peer reviewed darkcoins code) ...So I think that comment  of ,"No thank you. I find these altcoin "peer review" efforts to be a little more than marketing for pumpers." is pretty spot on especially since Monero has always been open source.

I'm snipping all the nonsense you posted about the darkcoin instamine scam because its not relevant here. There are threads for that (including one I created), you are welcome to post there instead of spamming.

It's not nonsense if you cannot defend your claims. I'll wait for clear evidences in the relevant thread then..

Not a whole lot, because the system is very well designed to begin with. What would be the purpose to change that  other than to play the altcoin feature pumping game, which doesn't interest us. We are focusing on incremental improvements, greater robustness, improved APIs, etc.

From what I saw from PeterTodd's comments about CN and ring signatures, I'm not sure that your very well designed system is not full of exploits because its origin BCN was a scam and probably has a numerous backdoors inside..

Activity: 154

How do you ever attract new users? Or is it okay to attract new users but not new critics?

Nope, I'm just a little curious about the sudden interest of your community  Cool . What was the reason behind this ?

Not that I know of, particularly, although I did take note of the aggressive and arrogant attitude of DRKers your developer decided to shit over another coin community (dashcoin) by paying its developer to abandon it without so much as even addressing them directly, and didn't like the whole vibe of it one bit. That encouraged me to a closer look at what other shadiness is going on over there.

I can't speak for others.

yeah. they are silent on dashcoin issue..the ony thing they are spitting is "go talk to you dev" (fucking pricks)

DRK are claiming to be genius on masternode and anonymous tech stuff but cannot figure a good name for their darkcoin  Grin

btw do not steal dash the cash...dashcoins mascot (paper cash)
Activity: 50
Merit: 0

I'm interested about what did you already improved over the basic CN different than some bug fixes here and there and some other "minor" modifications ?
You should provide also a peer review of the Moneros implementation of CN ? Level of resistance for the different attack vectors and etc ...

The monero codebase is diverging from the original CN code at a fast rate:

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/network

If you don't have the time to look at the many commits in that repository,
the missives or GingerAle's great digests are an excellent source of information
to answer your question.
legendary
which cpu miner is recommended these days? still yam m7v?

tia

----
i7 4770

somebody for sure knows what cpu miner is best

You answered your own question. YAM M7V is the miner I run, with the exact same CPU as yours.
(YAM version 8 is less stable and slower on my particular machine and OS, so I stick with m7v)

ty
what is the lowest donation interval that can be set?

I'm pretty sure there is a readme file that comes with YAM, and the info is probably in there. At least there was the last time I tried it.
Activity: 506
Merit: 252
which cpu miner is recommended these days? still yam m7v?

tia

----
i7 4770

somebody for sure knows what cpu miner is best

You answered your own question. YAM M7V is the miner I run, with the exact same CPU as yours.
(YAM version 8 is less stable and slower on my particular machine and OS, so I stick with m7v)

ty
what is the lowest donation interval that can be set?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
the short answer = resources. What darkcoin does can be broken with enough resources (massive analysis efforts and masternode control etc).

IMO, it hasn't been attacked because there is no incentive yet. No one has actually done anything with it yet that would warrant an investigation from law enforcement agencies.
Resources as in deep pockets. You have to buy a lot of DASH/DRK to secure a good percentage of the 2300 masternodes in operation (it's about $5k per masternode today), and you'll drive up the price almost surely. Then, while you attack the network as a nefarious masternode (presumably by analyzing traffic and exposing Dashsend mixes) you'll sacrifice your investment, if only for a while. To what end? Most likely, just to demonstrate a vulnerability. Since it's software that runs on a 2-tiered network, you'll just cripple the features provided by the second tier (Dashsend and Instant-X) while the Bitcoin-based blockchain keeps humming along. Meanwhile the developers fix the software and roll it out to the network, which typically reaches supermajority with the latest version within about 6 hours. Note that this has already happened a few times when masternode authentication and payment enforcement had some vulnerabilities that were corrected.  

So please, I relish the thought of someone doing this, because in the long run it will serve to harden the DASH network.  

I really don't get this argument. 2300 * 5k = $11.5 million. Woopity friggin doo. A drop in the bucket for any government, if they went this route (as opposed to just getting amazon or whatever server to shutdown services). You write as if the ones that would launch such a network attack are the same ones that are pushing forward the frontier of decentralization / new money. You write as if the ones hoping to bring down the network are the same ones trying to wrestle control of our valuation systems from oligarchies / aristocrats / silver spoon / whatever. Comments like these make me realize that some people really don't understand what is going on with cryptocurrencies, or they did at one point and they've forgotten the dream.

As a new observer, what I see happening with all of these scams (paycoin is a big one) is everyone else on this frontier is looking over and going "woooh dude. what the heck are you doing? Come on - we've got serious stuff to do!". The concern (and the subsequent concern trolling) with darkcoin, in this metaphor, is that there are people building a bridge over the fungibility / privacy canyon in this new frontier, but they're not bridge engineers. And down the way, there are others building bridges - and great! More bridges the better, right? But people are going "wooh dude - you probably shouldn't build your bridge that way" and instead of providing any sort of in-depth response, all of the people waiting for that bridge to be built are just like "naw, it'll be fine!!! You don't know what you're talking about." Its often commented that the monero devs are out there spreading fud or wasting time concern trolling as opposed to developing their coin. First, WTF? We're all in this together! Second, I'd rather see a dev addressing questions or quelling concern - these are the ones that know how to build bridges! I'd love to see an actual response from a darkcoin dev of substance! The closest we got was:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/drk-copy-of-evil-knievels-darkcoin-is-not-anonymous-moderated-for-clarity-979315

and the darkcoin dev left it with: "ok, you build that python script".... so the goddamn bridge engineer hasn't even run the stress tests himself?

I aint walking over that bridge.

And these are my opinions. I don't speak for monero. I like monero because these are the things I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA
legendary

I'm interested about what did you already improved over the basic CN different than some bug fixes here and there and some other "minor" modifications ?
You should provide also a peer review of the Moneros implementation of CN ? Level of resistance for the different attack vectors and etc ...

Jump to: