Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1054. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
Can we please stop talking about Dash/Darkcoin* on the Monero thread?

It's been talked about here and in the speculation thread quite a lot the last week or two, and now all of a sudden you have a problem with it?
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
What if monero was funded through fundraising website/programs? I know those websites usually dont allow you to give something in return to those who donate, but they could be directed to a monero exchange where they could buy some if theyd like.

Well, I got excited about checking out kickstarter, but they don't allow projects for "cash equivalent" things... they used some other word than things. I forget.

If I'm understanding gingerale correctly here, i think hes saying that kickstarter is a no go. Maybe indigogo though.

Hopefully somebody will look into it. Pure speculation here but I wonder if that means you can't give people cash equivalents as a reward. But maybe the project funding with no rewards or different rewards could still happen there (or as you say another crowdfunding site with good visibility).

You guys should talk about it amongst yourselves and see what sort of commitment you can come up with for what price. I know we talked about this before and you weren't willing to commit to delivering any particular product, but maybe you could commit to full time development for a given period of time. I think that would satisfy people. If you can come up with something that we could crowd fund than im sure we could find some way of accommodating that.

I disagree with this, as I have alluded to in other posts. Promises tend to get broken. If you don't promise much there's nothing much broken (especially the trust of people). And this is one of the core strengths of the core team. Their approach.

*Please note that Dash/Darkcoin has been instamined for 2 million.

Yes, we (at least myself) can stop talking about evancoin on the Monero thread

*please note that evancoin's privacy is weak:

www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zufu1/a_great_podcast_by_lets_talk_bitcoin_discussing/cpmvogy?context=3

Timing analysis - can you detail the procedure or give an example how a timing analysis attack would be executed. What information could be extracted from a timing attack. If user is hiding his IP using tor or i2p is it still relevant?

Supermajority needs to be honest? No. Not even close.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Ugh, moral crusaders. Fine, don't hire them, the community seems to be doing that job well enough. But do prioritize your time. Anyone can be a righteous crusader, pointing out evil wherever it dwells. Use your time to code. Anyway, just make me rich and we're all good.

Brilliantrocket you always make me laugh. For the longest time with all your Monero heckling I thought you may be a remnant of the Bytecoin trolls, but I've since decided that you're just self-serving (I don't say that as if it's a bad thing). Thanks for keeping us on our toes:)
Haha no problem. Just want to point out that your professionalism was one of the significant motivating factors that lead me to finally diversify into Monero.

Been waiting for ages to bring this baby out:

duckNote Network and blockchain works perfect, like a Swiss clockwork.
XDN is not vulnerable like XMR, due to high developers professionalism.

Later,

Sure, now Monero devs can only offer excuses, because of the goal missed in their gates. Truly XMR devs and supporters are not quite adequate. They hate everyone. Very strange community.

I cry e'rytime.
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
Saying that a well-designed, intuitive, easily-used Graphical User Interface doesn't matter is simply ridiculous. I realize that fluffypony had a specific issue that he was making a point about when he wrote what he did regarding adoption, business integration, and the GUI.

However, a well-designed, intuitive, and easily-used Graphical User Interface are crucial for the success of virtually any piece of software or hardware in today's day and age.
Why is Apple so successful? I would argue that their GUI's, combined with the hardware to properly utilize the potential of their GUI's, is the entire basis of their success. Sure, marketing and reputation have been vital, but without good-looking GUI's their marketing department would be trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Why is Windows more popular than Linux? Linux is free, Windows costs money. Shouldn't people run the free OS more often? Windows is easily used. Linux has come a long way, but it inevitably requires substantially more effort for the average person.

If the Monero GUI can make the slope of the learning curve so easy to climb that Your Mom Can Use It, it will be vital in propelling the success of XMR that all of us are so eager to witness.

I hope it's been demonstrated with MyMonero that we know a thing or two about UX and simplicity, and that will translate to the GUI.

That said, it's simply not acceptable for us (to echo your words) to put lipstick on a pig and ship a GUI that is pleasant enough, but takes 4 days to sync from scratch, requires 6+gb of RAM, sucks a ton of bandwidth, and is accepted nearly nowhere.

We will deliver a proverbial work of art, but it requires building out parts of the foundation that we had previously viewed as less of a priority (until the 202612 attack). Oh, and we're doing it on like no money, so there's that.

I very much support this approach to the project, and it is one of the reasons (if not the main reason) to get involved with it.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

*Please note that Dash/Darkcoin has been instamined for 2 million.

Yes, we (at least myself) can stop talking about evancoin on the Monero thread

*please note that evancoin's privacy is weak:

www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zufu1/a_great_podcast_by_lets_talk_bitcoin_discussing/cpmvogy?context=3
Is it not right to present them with facts in the face of FUD shilling so that they can make a decision based on truth rather then fiction?

What is this fiction?

That drk is good for privacy.

How is that fiction? It is actually pretty good for privacy. Even in the state it is right now, and it's constantly being improved.

That drk wasn't insta, fast or opportunistically mined. Do you really think if Evan and his friends weren't the ones who benefitted most that the coin would not be relaunched? Don't rename it, relaunch it if you won't to avoid the scam label.

There is no one trying to deny many coins were mined fast in the beginning.

Maybe wpalczynski had different fiction in mind.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Our beloved core team member David Latapie is being considered for the hugely coveted title of Altcoin Gangster. Although in connection with his other coin, I think we should still give him some Monero love over here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/altcoin-gangsters-poll-who-willl-rot-in-prison-for-scam-723764

Dave your gonna make the Digest with this one! Tongue

God I can't even catch up to this thread! Take a few days to get RLS done and bam 15 pages to wade through! I'm still like 3 back. Yesterday was quoting but didn't catch up enough to post anything.

Price looks great, new faces look good.

Onward and Upward boys!

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011
Just close today bitmonerod and reopen so it can't load a blockchain.
Code:
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.217285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/common/boost_serialization_helper.h:108 Exception at [unserialize_obj_from_file], what=unsupported version
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.217285 Can't load blockchain storage from file, generating genesis block.
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.297285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain_storage.cpp:127 Failed to add genesis block to blockchain
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.297285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/cryptonote_core.cpp:165 Failed to initialize blockchain storage
2015-Mar-23 01:02:37.297285 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/daemon/daemon.cpp:255 Failed to initialize core

I guess it's a bug caused by storage blockchain after closing.

Yes, but burning how many people with it as it crumbles?  And financially burning would be the least destructive outcome, what if there are serious repercussions due to compromised "anonymity"?

This could lead to people having their lives turned completely upside down and ruined by governments.

That's not something that you, or anyone in fact, can stop. People will do what they want, and face the consequences accordingly.

Is it not right to present them with facts in the face of FUD shilling so that they can make a decision based on truth rather then fiction?

What is this fiction?
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Ugh, moral crusaders. Fine, don't hire them, the community seems to be doing that job well enough. But do prioritize your time. Anyone can be a righteous crusader, pointing out evil wherever it dwells. Use your time to code. Anyway, just make me rich and we're all good.

Brilliantrocket you always make me laugh. For the longest time with all your Monero heckling I thought you may be a remnant of the Bytecoin trolls, but I've since decided that you're just self-serving (I don't say that as if it's a bad thing). Thanks for keeping us on our toes:)
Haha no problem. Just want to point out that your professionalism was one of the significant motivating factors that lead me to finally diversify into Monero.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

legendary
Activity: 1456

Yes, but burning how many people with it as it crumbles?  And financially burning would be the least destructive outcome, what if there are serious repercussions due to compromised "anonymity"?

This could lead to people having their lives turned completely upside down and ruined by governments.

That's not something that you, or anyone in fact, can stop. People will do what they want, and face the consequences accordingly.

You sound like a corrupt politician absolving himself of responsibility. Just because you can't make a horse drink water doesn't mean you lead him further into the desert.

Love that line dude. LOL
legendary
Activity: 1456

Giving one's opinion on a topic of relevance is not being a "moral crusader". Labeling someone who does is really not an effective response. Though I'd also say the documented facts (as opposed to opinion) such as those I laid out a few posts back aren't as well known as you suggest. I would guess you didn't even know those, right?

Note by the way, that I have never said that DRK is a bad investment, short term at least.

I won't deny that I wasn't aware of some of the things you pointed out. I'll give you that much.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
May I suggest that the Monero core team hire others to disparage competitors, so as not to compromise the speed of Monero's development?

Concern trolling much?

No one is actively "disparaging competitors" and we certainly aren't going to hire people to do it. We are criticizing an instamine/premine scam with mediocre technology. It doesn't even matter whether it is a competitor or not (a reasonable argument has been made that it isn't). Bytecoin wasn't a competitor of anything when I criticized their ninjamine/premine scam, for example. I don't play favorites.

Ugh, moral crusaders. Whatever, just make me rich and we're all good.

Giving one's opinion on a topic of relevance is not being a "moral crusader". Labeling someone who does is really not an effective response. Though I'd also say the documented facts (as opposed to opinion) such as those I laid out a few posts back aren't as well known as you suggest. I would guess you didn't even know those, right?

Note by the way, that I have never said that DRK is a bad investment, short term at least.

May I suggest that the Monero core team hire others to disparage competitors, so as not to compromise the speed of Monero's development?

Concern trolling much?

No one is actively "disparaging competitors" and we certainly aren't going to hire people to do it. We are criticizing an instamine/premine scam with mediocre technology. It doesn't even matter whether it is a competitor or not (a reasonable argument has been made that it isn't). Bytecoin wasn't a competitor of anything when I criticized their ninjamine/premine scam, for example. I don't play favorites.

legendary

Concern trolling much?

You should know that for something to be fraud, there must be deception. As I've stated before, the DRK instamine is well known. DRK has FAQs that address it. It's 100% out in the open.

First of all, being buried in a huge FAQ is not "out in the open". Is it stated on the OP along with the coin parameters? Is it included in specifications page on the web site? Those are places where normally relevant facts and parameters about the distribution of a coin are stated. Answers: No and no.

Second, if this is all "out in the open" why do DRK supporters get so upset about it being discussed, attack the person discussing it (including claimed doxing, though I doubt that was accurate), go onto other coin threads complain about it being discussed, etc.?

Third, the DRK FAQ itself is little more than a vehicle for further deception:

1. It claims the instamine took place over 48 hours. In fact the main part of the instamine (approx 1.5 million coins) happened in just 8 hours

2. It claims definitively the coins were sold/distributed (and makes other unsupported statements) when in fact this is entirely unproven and in fact unprovable.

3. It offers no disclosure about some relevant events surrounding the instamine that cast a negative light:

a) Evan promising not to launch for a few days and then doing an ambush launch shortly thereafter with 2 hours notice.

b) That there was a "serious error" in the code during the first two hours of the launch, during which time >500K coins were mined by someone somehow.

c) Any statement about the goals or planned features for the coin was withheld until after the instamine was over. In order to have any reason to mine this coin during that time you would have to literally mine every single generic featureless coin launch, or simply be extremely lucky, which is implausible for any outsiders. In this way the instamine was effectively a premine.

d) Several cuts to the mining reward that were made later (including redirecting them to masternodes i.e. existing coin owners), increasing the relative size of the premine.

Ask yourself: why is it that every single thing that has ever happened before during and after the launch, as well as the subsequent supply of the coin, had the effect of decreasing outside participation and increasing share that benefits insiders? If these were a "mistake" or "accident" you would expect half to fall one way and half the other. Sorry, I don't buy this "coincidence"

Have fun with your instamined/premined scam coin, and go right on running it up as high as it'll go, just don't expect others to remain silent about it.

Perhaps some of those things might rise to the level of deception. Even so, the creator of a cryptocurrency can distribute it however they want. My opinion is that anyone outside of the crypto community will view every cryptocurrency, no matter the distribution as being premined. They didn't mine it, and a small number of people did, so in their eyes the entire thing is unfair. The nuanced difference between DRK and a "fairly" distributed coin won't register with them. So the entire issue is moot, imo.

May I suggest that the Monero core team hire others to disparage competitors, so as not to compromise the speed of Monero's development? You don't put your management on toilet cleaning duty, after all.
legendary
Just a remember about buying these coins for profit: Darkcoin and Monero are being pumped by an individual (Otoh at Darkcoin, and rpietila at Monero) or a small group of individuals . Maybe they are doing this just to help in the promotion of these coins, the volume of these two coins increased a lot in the last weeks, not just the price. So, be careful. Even they being well-intentioned and well-respected in these communities, we don't know how much and until to these rallies on prices will remain.

Somewhat agree. However, rpietila has been talking down the price more than up recently, warning that it was going up too fast, was due for correction, and advised waiting for pullbacks to buy. I don't know how this relates to his actual trading activity though.
Jump to: