Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1087. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Thank god the "bit" part was removed from Monero near the launch. I think Monero has the best name out of all the currencies both crypto and government based, and that extra "bit" part was just eww.

This just had to be quoted.  That nick, that comment,  made my day.   Cheesy

Truly though, Monero is absolutely the best name, even better than bitcoin.  No shit, no coin, just money.

Bitcoin was a fine name, because there were not 100 other coins (or even one) with similar names it was copying.

coming soon: fonero, lonero, jonero, ponero.....

Not quite what you were thinking, but only two letters different than monero:
https://moneta.cash/

Looks like Zerovert recycled. I had a discussion on reddit with one of the devs (Poramin) about it (he claims the name is in no way influenced by monero):
http://www.reddit.com/r/vertcoin/comments/2xcimf/bushidos_new_crypto_monetas_what_do_you_think/coyyobo

The catch phrase is hilarious!

Moneta: A crypto currency that helps significantly improve bitcoin.

I cant stop laughing!
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Thank god the "bit" part was removed from Monero near the launch. I think Monero has the best name out of all the currencies both crypto and government based, and that extra "bit" part was just eww.

This just had to be quoted.  That nick, that comment,  made my day.   Cheesy

Truly though, Monero is absolutely the best name, even better than bitcoin.  No shit, no coin, just money.

Bitcoin was a fine name, because there were not 100 other coins (or even one) with similar names it was copying.

Not quite what you were thinking, but only two letters different than monero:
https://moneta.cash/

Looks like Zerovert recycled. I had a discussion on reddit with one of the devs (Poramin) about it (he claims the name is in no way influenced by monero):
http://www.reddit.com/r/vertcoin/comments/2xcimf/bushidos_new_crypto_monetas_what_do_you_think/coyyobo
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Monero XMR price increase almost double in just a few days.. what did i missed?
woooo https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/monero/btc
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

Truly though, Monero is absolutely the best name, even better than bitcoin.  No shit, no coin, just money.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
What's amusing is that a big argument for not relaunching bitMonero after taking it over was that it already had a certain level of momentum, even though only a few of us were mining it. I'm not being critical... it just seems so insignificant in retrospect.

Perhaps, but we can't know how that would've turned out. Very early on someone (OracionSeis) did launch a Bitmonero copy with no changes but an emission schedule that's similar to Bitcoin's. It briefly reached a high valuation and then floundered. However irrational it may be, having some non-zero amount of buy-in already present is a big head start over a new launch (probably due to risk averseness). I liked the legitimacy that came with being the second oldest CryptoNote chain, even with a dysfunctional founder. It may be why Monero beat out BBR (the horrible name choice helped).

Agreed. As much as it pissed me off that thankful_for_today rushed bitMonero out the door, it may have been the best decision he made, as BBR could very well have captured the market if it was released first.

However, if I remember correctly, BBR still wasn't launched at the time TFT was ousted.

All correct, and it all supports eizh's point. BCN was stillborn due to the scam ninjamine. BMR came next. While flawed, it was not a disaster. Good enough beats both stillborn and vaporware.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Monero is indeed a great name choice. Not bitX, not darkX, not Xcoin. It sounds like a real currency.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
What's amusing is that a big argument for not relaunching bitMonero after taking it over was that it already had a certain level of momentum, even though only a few of us were mining it. I'm not being critical... it just seems so insignificant in retrospect.

Perhaps, but we can't know how that would've turned out. Very early on someone (OracionSeis) did launch a Bitmonero copy with no changes but an emission schedule that's similar to Bitcoin's. It briefly reached a high valuation and then floundered. However irrational it may be, having some non-zero amount of buy-in already present is a big head start over a new launch (probably due to risk averseness). I liked the legitimacy that came with being the second oldest CryptoNote chain, even with a dysfunctional founder. It may be why Monero beat out BBR (the horrible name choice helped).

Agreed. As much as it pissed me off that thankful_for_today rushed bitMonero out the door, it may have been the best decision he made, as BBR could very well have captured the market if it was released first.

However, if I remember correctly, BBR still wasn't launched at the time TFT was ousted.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500

There were like 9 or 10 interested parties at the time if my memory is correct. We voted on irc to drop the "bit" from bitMonero and move forward with the project.

I totally remember that vote.

He was also trying to do something with merge-mining bytecoin as well, and doing some testing on the mainnet. Nutbag.

He was most likely a part of the original cryptonote scam. He figured he could maintain control by relaunching bytecoin and capturing those who were against the 80% premine. Merge mining was another thing that nobody wanted but he moved forward with. It was all to support bytecoin.
G2M
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Activity: 616
There were like 9 or 10 interested parties at the time if my memory is correct. We voted on irc to drop the "bit" from bitMonero and move forward with the project.

I totally remember that vote.

He was also trying to do something with merge-mining bytecoin as well, and doing some testing on the mainnet. Nutbag.
Regarding the above, I think we need to put together a nice document regarding the history of monero. There's the one scathing summary out there, but its full of very colorful (but hilarious) language. I think newcomers to monero would appreciate knowing the full story, in case they come across trolls barking over "de-optimized miner" this or "community takeover" that. I mean, I think someone new to cryptoworld wouldn't fully understand community takeover without first comprehending how github and forking works. Hell, come to think of it, how did the fork occur? The year in review document (i think) touches on some of this... sorry i can't do more digging (at work).

Are you talking about the original bitMonero fork from bytecoin?

Most of us didn't like the fact that bytecoin had already been 80% mined. An unknown individual named thankful_for_today announced he was working on a fair relaunch of bytecoin that would have a distribution closer to that of bitcoin, with shorter block times. A number of us showed interest and even attempted to collaborate with him.

We actually wanted a shallower distribution.
We were pretty unanimous that 1 minute block times were a bad idea.
We were unanimous that some type of perpetual inflation was necessary on the tail end of distribution.

At the same time, crypto_zoidberg announced his fork, HoneyPenny (eventually to become BBR). This project had some interesting things going on, but wasn't planned for release for another 6 weeks or so.

When thankful_for_today launched bitMonero two weeks later (he was in a huge rush to be the first fork out the door, and might be the reason Monero always had the lead on BBR), he had pretty much ignored everything that was discussed and just did what he wanted. The block reward was considerably steeper than what everyone was expecting. He also moved forward with 1 minute block times despite everyone's concerns about the increase of orphan blocks. He also didn't address the tail emission concern that should've (in my opinion) been in the code at launch time. Basically, he fucked everything up. Then, he disappeared.

I, and others, started working on new forks that were closer to what everyone else was hoping for. David Latapie (IIRC) started PMing people and trying to get them to consolidate projects to not divide the community. I personally thought the best course of action was to fix bitMonero and relaunch it (I still think that would've been best). but instead it was decided that the bitMonero project should just be taken over. There were like 9 or 10 interested parties at the time if my memory is correct. We voted on irc to drop the "bit" from bitMonero and move forward with the project.

Thankful_for_today suddenly resurfaced, and wasn't happy to learn the community had assumed control of the coin. He attempted to maintain his own fork (still calling it "bitMonero") for a while, but that quickly fell into obscurity. The rest is history.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Please elucidate.  Huh
I won't. Because a) so they won't change the decision and b) naming everything public would just encourage XMR/DRK quarreling nobody wants to read.

Could you post a hash of the answer, and then post the answer after the fact?

Provably fair anti-trolling!
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
Ok. Fantastic, that was the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
I am planing to move my funds from wallet on my PC to mymonero.  What happens if mymonero goes down?

Actually you can have your moneros in your PC and mymonero at the same time.

MyMonero has added existing wallet import functionality. Just use your 25 word mnemonic from simplewallet when logging in, and after paying the 10 XMR once-off fee your wallet will be available in MyMonero.

EXTERNAL PROJECTS FOR THE WEEK OF 2015-03-09
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
I am planing to move my funds from wallet on my PC to mymonero.  What happens if mymonero goes down?

you can use the mymonero seed with the normal wallet to access your coins.
(there will never be a mybitcoin fiasko...)

edit: seems i understand it wrong; but they are working on it (without a fee)
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
I am planing to move my funds from wallet on my PC to mymonero.  What happens if mymonero goes down?

Pitchforks and torches for Fluffy!  Cheesy Tongue
Jump to: