Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1082. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
Bter.com is back :-)

EDIT: No trading fees for a full month!

After they lost all those BTC and "claimed" that they made a police report (which they probably didn't), do you plan on using them?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Is it true that the devs have no plan to develop an "official" gui?

No

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Is it true that the devs have no plan to develop an "official" gui? I think i remember reading that some where or hearing someone say something to this effect but i don't remember where.

No, they are developing an official GUI.

See here for a road map of development goals: http://getmonero.org/design-goals/
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Is it true that the devs have no plan to develop an "official" gui? I think i remember reading that some where or hearing someone say something to this effect but i don't remember where.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

What could possibly go wrong?

Everyone could deposit and get ripped off. O wait are you being facetious? Tongue
legendary

What could possibly go wrong?
legendary
Wait, I thought the MEW was officially supported? I am getting confused here. Is it your opinion Fluffy that we should not use moneroeconomy.com? It is still under construction so we really need to know where everyone stands on this. Dividing our base between sites is a bad idea if we are not also duplicating the content.

I think there needs to be a discussion on this. It seems to me the base is divided on the form of the forum. But if we all goto the site we feel most comfortable using then the base will surely start diverging and by extension weaken and eventually rift. Another thing I am doomed to see and unable to prevent I bet. Guess we will see in a year. Smiley

The MEW has some core team members in it (I am a member, although I generally don't participate in many of the MEW activities due to a lack of time and interest), but it is not sanctioned, appointed, or in any other way related to the Core Team. We have specifically rejected the idea of a Monero "foundation", primarily because of the poor example the Bitcoin foundation has set.

Nonetheless, the MEW is able to do whatever it wants, it's a free planet after all, but the Core Team are not obligated to follow any of their suggestions. That is not to say we are at odds with them, and we respect MEW voting on a particular issue as being indicative of the consensus among a portion of the Monero community, but at best any outcome of a MEW vote would be a "strong suggestion" to us and we would still feel it out and make an appropriate decision.

This separation is important as it means the Core Team can't be bought, even if the stakes are significantly higher.

With regards to the forum, the official forum exists as a platform we're putting together because it will allow us to harness future developments like MoneroID and MoneroTrust (see the Design and Development Goals) and implement them in the forum, a task that would be significantly harder if we used anything else that was more generic.

Thanks for clearing that up Fluffy. Very important info. You'll wanna grab this link for the digest Ginger. Smiley

Fluffypony told me to make a pull request. What is he, a soft equine dentist?

Smooth said it was tacotime, so I called David Latapie to see if he wanted some carne asada wrapped in crepes.

I poured the vodka and GingerAle over IceBreaker and sipped it.

BCX warped my jwinterm into a Heuristic mess.

VERY nice! I got a good chuckle outta this. Smiley Even pulled a double connotation on my butchered name.! Cheesy
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
Bter.com is back :-)

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Fluffypony told me to make a pull request. What is he, a soft equine dentist?

Smooth said it was tacotime, so I called David Latapie to see if he wanted some carne asada wrapped in crepes.

I poured the vodka and GingerAle over IceBreaker and sipped it.

BCX warped my jwinterm into a Heuristic mess.

My opinion on MEW and the core team is that both are "official" and "non-official". After all, who appointed this core team anyway?

Yeah, really!

We are all yet none officially unofficial in this decentralized lack of unity communal open source proprietary effort.
legendary
My opinion on MEW and the core team is that both are "official" and "non-official". After all, who appointed this core team anyway?

The core team is a group of self-appointed people who got together to develop the Monero code (as a fork of bitmonero). The MEW is a group of self-appointed people who got together to develop the Monero economy (MEW was formed well after bitmonero).

There are some members of both groups overlapping. There is no reason for the groups not to cooperate and mutually support each others efforts, which we do.

legendary
How come this coin doesnt have a win32bit wallet? i wanted to buy some but without a wallet idk and no i dont trust online wallets.

lightWallet or .NET wallet with a remote node would probably work.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
How come this coin doesnt have a win32bit wallet? i wanted to buy some but without a wallet idk and no i dont trust online wallets.

32-bit systems can't address enough RAM to hold the full in-memory blockchain, hence us implementing an embedded database variant.
Activity: 2268
Merit: 507
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Wait, I thought the MEW was officially supported? I am getting confused here. Is it your opinion Fluffy that we should not use moneroeconomy.com? It is still under construction so we really need to know where everyone stands on this. Dividing our base between sites is a bad idea if we are not also duplicating the content.

I think there needs to be a discussion on this. It seems to me the base is divided on the form of the forum. But if we all goto the site we feel most comfortable using then the base will surely start diverging and by extension weaken and eventually rift. Another thing I am doomed to see and unable to prevent I bet. Guess we will see in a year. Smiley

The MEW has some core team members in it (I am a member, although I generally don't participate in many of the MEW activities due to a lack of time and interest), but it is not sanctioned, appointed, or in any other way related to the Core Team. We have specifically rejected the idea of a Monero "foundation", primarily because of the poor example the Bitcoin foundation has set.

Nonetheless, the MEW is able to do whatever it wants, it's a free planet after all, but the Core Team are not obligated to follow any of their suggestions. That is not to say we are at odds with them, and we respect MEW voting on a particular issue as being indicative of the consensus among a portion of the Monero community, but at best any outcome of a MEW vote would be a "strong suggestion" to us and we would still feel it out and make an appropriate decision.

This separation is important as it means the Core Team can't be bought, even if the stakes are significantly higher.

With regards to the forum, the official forum exists as a platform we're putting together because it will allow us to harness future developments like MoneroID and MoneroTrust (see the Design and Development Goals) and implement them in the forum, a task that would be significantly harder if we used anything else that was more generic.
legendary
It's also important to understand that we are diverging far from the CryptoNote reference code (and even from the CryptoNote protocol) as we fix its shortcomings and extend it. At some point Monero will be different enough so as to say that it is powered by the Monero protocol, and that day is not far off:)
there will eventually be monero clones though. IMO it'll be the same type of wave that occurred with bitcoin - we'll get the unobtanium version (400 year emission curve!!!) and the "fast" version (10 second blocks, because logic!), POS versions (because sitting on your money and accumulating more is good for an economy!) and different POW algos (the scariest, of course, being a SHA-256). And when there are monero clones, there will also be moon people, because we're talking about the future so why not?
...And this is the term I use in the forthcoming Monero Handbook (and elsewhere).

There is no doubt there will be Clones of Monero in the future, My prediction is as soon as a wallet gui is officially released. And we can bet that not only all the code will be ported but a large percentage of the data David has so laboriously gathered and cataloged.

...I'd also like to suggest that we avoid cross-posting actual content, especially since moneroeconomy.com is a MEW site and not an official/core site. The reason we want to avoid cross-posting content is that Google tends to penalise duplicate content when a site isn't canonical, so something that is posted on the official forum and then cross-posted everywhere makes it more confusing for Google to figure out which site is canonical.

EDIT: BTW, who got that 500XMR @ .0013 on BTER? Congrats
Activity: 252
Merit: 251

I've requested a subforum off main for digest and missives. Also I requested the site dev to help with a method for easy porting.

They should be crossposted to every forum we have.

Link Added:
https://moneroeconomy.com/forum/feature-request-board-structure

We already have that: https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials - I can give Gingeropoulos access to post in that section so the digests can go there too.

I'd also like to suggest that we avoid cross-posting actual content, especially since moneroeconomy.com is a MEW site and not an official/core site. The reason we want to avoid cross-posting content is that Google tends to penalise duplicate content when a site isn't canonical, so something that is posted on the official forum and then cross-posted everywhere makes it more confusing for Google to figure out which site is canonical.

that sounds like a hardfork to me (not that i'd have a problem with it).
i'd love to see some kind of "xmr manifest" written in the blockchain and this may be a good time to do it...

like satoshi did with his first block "bank bailout" (but more like a manifest)
[gratuitous post to show-off my new signature]

Smiley

Sunny California here, GingerBread. Grin

oh! I need MY openAlias adress me too!

How i can make it?

Arux, go here to this thread on the Monero Forum for info on OpenAlias:

https://forum.getmonero.org/10/openalias-general-discussion/127/is-there-a-noob-approved-way-to-get-an-open-alias

You can PM me if you have any specific problems.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
i know this coin is so precious, but the OP is just newbie member here.
so sad,

from a Brand new menber, just hilarious!

Smiley

once you do your required studies on your way through Monero University, you'll find that the owner of the OP is actually a jointly held account by the monero-devs.

as detailed here: https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/211/history-of-monero

Jump to: