Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1113. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
how transaction fee is calculated?? i have sended 49XMR, but my balance decreased by 50.5XMR  Huh 1.5% fee??
or how can i set fee manually in simplewallet?

Transaction fee is calculated per KB. Monero transactions are larger due to mixin ringsignatures, which is integral to blockchain privacy. If you want a low transaction fee coin with no privacy, this one aint for you.

sorry, didn't seen balance, only unlocked balance
all ok

Ah yes, that too!!
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
how transaction fee is calculated?? i have sended 49XMR, but my balance decreased by 50.5XMR  Huh 1.5% fee??
or how can i set fee manually in simplewallet?

Transaction fee is calculated per KB. Monero transactions are larger due to mixin ringsignatures, which is integral to blockchain privacy. If you want a low transaction fee coin with no privacy, this one aint for you.

sorry, didn't seen balance, only unlocked balance
all ok
legendary
A little question about memory footprint on 0.8.8.6. Is it okay? Or should I move my wallet to linux machine?
(snip)

Yes, that looks normal. Classic monero has a big memory footprint (the whole blockchain is in the memory!). There is development to move the blockchain into a database file, which is being heavily tested and developed right now. Indeed, the last leg of the database development is to make it work with windows.

In general though, yes, you should move it to linux due to security concerns, but that won't solve the memory problem AFAIK.

And if you move to linux, you can run the current beta of the database build, if you're adventurous and want to compile things.  
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
After being gone since last summer (one of the first miners I believe), I recently ran across this thread again and looked into it a little more. I am quite excited to see what kinds of developments you are planning, specifically regarding the MoneroAssets and MoneroTrade "next level research" items.

How many devs are working on this project currently, and are they fulltime? What is the slated release date for some of these new features that are being worked on? I was recently heavily supporting Syscoin, but due to a number of missed deadlines and lack of marketing, I'm taking a step back from them for the time being. Monero seems to have many of the things on the roadmap that caused me to join Syscoin in the first place, so I am thinking that this active community and dev environment may be a better place to put my energy.

Are there any items on the TODO list that need help? I'm a web developer and I'd be happy to help out if I could further a real crypto project in any way.

Seven core team members, 3 academic cryptographers and mathematicians, half-a-dozen deeply involved coders - consider 15. No one is fulltime, most are not even paid at al. No stated release date, by design, although we hinted during the http://dogecoindark.net/radio/ interview at "before the end of 2015" for the GUI wallet (some other things will be released in between, and not only the DB).

Marketing is done slowly because marketing a command line utility with few B2B solutions at present is an exercice in futility. Main marketing for now is word-of-mouth, which is the most realiable way to avoid disappointment (one only makes one first impression).

Also, we are trying to transition to http://forum.monero.cc for this reason:

Quote from: Fluffypony
Bitcointalk is not a good environment if we want serious discussion about Monero. That much should be obvious. At some point we have to start cutting the apron strings and disconnecting from Bitcoin, especially since we share few common goals and no common code. It would be unfair of us to force newcomers interested in Monero to dig through thousands of scamcoin, shill, and troll posts on bitcointalk to find the occasional gem of information.

Additionally, you cannot possibly convince me that people needing help in running and using Monero should all gather in a single thread on a Bitcoin forum?? Nah, we've done our time here, there's no value in maintaining all the Monero threads on Bitcointalk. Anyone here who needs to know about Monero already does know about Monero;)

The 4.5 (!) hours-long interview for Dogecoindark Radio was great but also extenuating. A summary will be available as soon as Rick (from Dogecoindark Radio) edits it (this week-end). Also, once the organisator of CoinFest 2015 have released the video of our talk there, we will publish some additional promotional material.

Thank you for the quick reply. The fact that someone who is heavily involved in the project replied to this post in just an hour or so speaks volumes about the level of engagement of the community. Kudos.

15 people involved heavily? that sounds amazing. I am impressed by the level of involvement in this coin. Consider my purchase long-term.

I will check out http://forum.monero.cc and start posting there as well.

I heard about the monero dev team on dogecoindark radio but I was asleep at the time (EU). A summary or at least archives of the show would be great!

I would also like to add this to David Latapie's comment -> https://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/people. Basicly a sum up of the people involved in Monero.
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
A little question about memory footprint on 0.8.8.6. Is it okay? Or should I move my wallet to linux machine?

Activity: 327
Merit: 250
After being gone since last summer (one of the first miners I believe), I recently ran across this thread again and looked into it a little more. I am quite excited to see what kinds of developments you are planning, specifically regarding the MoneroAssets and MoneroTrade "next level research" items.

How many devs are working on this project currently, and are they fulltime? What is the slated release date for some of these new features that are being worked on? I was recently heavily supporting Syscoin, but due to a number of missed deadlines and lack of marketing, I'm taking a step back from them for the time being. Monero seems to have many of the things on the roadmap that caused me to join Syscoin in the first place, so I am thinking that this active community and dev environment may be a better place to put my energy.

Are there any items on the TODO list that need help? I'm a web developer and I'd be happy to help out if I could further a real crypto project in any way.

Seven core team members, 3 academic cryptographers and mathematicians, half-a-dozen deeply involved coders - consider 15. No one is fulltime, most are not even paid at al. No stated release date, by design, although we hinted during the http://dogecoindark.net/radio/ interview at "before the end of 2015" for the GUI wallet (some other things will be released in between, and not only the DB).

Marketing is done slowly because marketing a command line utility with few B2B solutions at present is an exercice in futility. Main marketing for now is word-of-mouth, which is the most realiable way to avoid disappointment (one only makes one first impression).

Bitcointalk is not a good environment if we want serious discussion about Monero. That much should be obvious. At some point we have to start cutting the apron strings and disconnecting from Bitcoin, especially since we share few common goals and no common code. It would be unfair of us to force newcomers interested in Monero to dig through thousands of scamcoin, shill, and troll posts on bitcointalk to find the occasional gem of information.

Additionally, you cannot possibly convince me that people needing help in running and using Monero should all gather in a single thread on a Bitcoin forum?? Nah, we've done our time here, there's no value in maintaining all the Monero threads on Bitcointalk. Anyone here who needs to know about Monero already does know about Monero;)

The 4.5 (!) hours-long interview for Dogecoindark Radio was great but also extenuating. A summary will be available as soon as Rick (from Dogecoindark Radio) edits it (this week-end). Also, once the organisator of CoinFest 2015 have released the video of our talk there, we will publish some additional promotional material.

Thank you for the quick reply. The fact that someone who is heavily involved in the project replied to this post in just an hour or so speaks volumes about the level of engagement of the community. Kudos.

15 people involved heavily? that sounds amazing. I am impressed by the level of involvement in this coin. Consider my purchase long-term.

I will check out http://forum.monero.cc and start posting there as well.

I heard about the monero dev team on dogecoindark radio but I was asleep at the time (EU). A summary or at least archives of the show would be great!

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team

Seven core team members, 3 academic cryptographers and mathematicians, half-a-dozen deeply involved coders - consider 15. No one is fulltime, most are not even paid at all. No stated release date, by design, although we hinted during the http://dogecoindark.net/radio/ interview at "before the end of 2015" for the GUI wallet (some other things will be released in between, and not only the DB).

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

Activity: 243
Merit: 125
***THANK TO CORE DEVS, MONERO MISSIVES ARE BACK***

https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements/161/monday-monero-missives-23-february-23rd-2015

I suppose we should use https://forum.monero.cc to discuss missives instead of bitcointalk. Correct me if I am wrong.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Mac bitmonerod and simplewallet located at: https://downloads.getmonero.org/mac64

return "Illegal instruction: 4" on Mac OS X 10.9.5

If I clone repository from https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero and build myself everything is fine.

Thanks, we'll work on better binary compatibility once we have Gitian working (reproducible builds).
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Mac bitmonerod and simplewallet located at: https://downloads.getmonero.org/mac64

return "Illegal instruction: 4" on Mac OS X 10.9.5

If I clone repository from https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero and build myself everything is fine.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
And besides, now that the official Missives are BACK! Do we really need two things on a monday? So I'll gradually shift the Digest / Week in Review to a different broadcast day of the week. What do people want?

You should plan it so you'll have time to get it done, but the earlier the better because it is less delay to the people who have trouble with spoken English and rely on written form or a translation.

Gotcha. I was thinking about the whole spoken vs. written thing re: missives. I think one way to tackle it is to use github. Someone starts with the first 3-5 minutes (or whenever they crap out), then someone picks up, and eventually it all gets pieced together. And then translated. Etc.

https://github.com/Gingeropolous/MoneroMissiveTranscribe

of course I have no idea how to use github so there's that. For another night.

I started porting the mp3 through google voice but I need a cleaner method so I will try to cable it up tomorrow and see what craps out. Wink

I think the quality of the voice audio might be a bit too rough for quality transcribe. We bought mics to make it better. Also, knowing now that auto transcribe will happen, we'll keep the music out of the voice. Duh. What was I thinking?

LOL, your doing a great job. Smiley
legendary
And besides, now that the official Missives are BACK! Do we really need two things on a monday? So I'll gradually shift the Digest / Week in Review to a different broadcast day of the week. What do people want?

You should plan it so you'll have time to get it done, but the earlier the better because it is less delay to the people who have trouble with spoken English and rely on written form or a translation.

Gotcha. I was thinking about the whole spoken vs. written thing re: missives. I think one way to tackle it is to use github. Someone starts with the first 3-5 minutes (or whenever they crap out), then someone picks up, and eventually it all gets pieced together. And then translated. Etc.

I started porting the mp3 through google voice but I need a cleaner method so I will try to cable it up tomorrow and see what craps out. Wink

I think the quality of the voice audio might be a bit too rough for quality transcribe. We bought mics to make it better. Also, knowing now that auto transcribe will happen, we'll keep the music out of the voice. Duh. What was I thinking?
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

legendary

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

legendary
Sorry Undecided

The weekly digest won't be published tonight. Between editing out all of fluffy pony's "aaahhhhh" "uuuhhhmmm" etc, I didn't get a jump start on the digest this past weekend.

And besides, now that the official Missives are BACK! Do we really need two things on a monday? So I'll gradually shift the Digest / Week in Review to a different broadcast day of the week. What do people want? Something to read on Hump Day? Something to read on friday morning when you can't motivate yourself to do any more work? Something for sunday to read whilst you sip your coffee in your robe and slippers? Or saturday night, so you can catch up on Moneroworld when your out at the club with your friends and it gets lame because the broads are all wasted talkin about their daddy issues?

Or I could cram it all in on the weekends for a double wammy monday header if someone sends me a boatload of XMR. And I want to add it to the lexion now: a boatload of xmr is officially 58 982.835 003 212 XMR. So yes, thats the current value of my weekends. Approximately 144k USD. Think of all the student loans I could pay off.................
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
summary of the missive? I don't want to listen to some people drone on and on unprofessionally about some mundane esoteric mess

I need a succinct outline. don't like surprises.

Sucks to be you.

Hardly droning on. Very informative.  Lighten up Francis!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
A summary of wallets
(took several hours to get something remotely usable)

For those for prefer some no-nosense HTML: https://xmrmonero.com/news/choose-your-wallet

I would add a note about mymonero being web-based.

Also you could add a note at the bottom that remote node and web based wallets have reduced privacy.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
As a software developer I still refuse to pronounce GUI as "gooey." It doesn't seem like an acronym that was ever intended to be pronounced as a word. Plus it just sounds stupid and I feel stupid saying it  Cheesy

Gee, you and I both, buddy.

Ba dum tish
Jump to: