Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1179. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Code:
5 XMR
?->?
But
Code:
? XMR
?->?
Because even the amount of XMR sent is not known.

Good point, I will try and get around to updating gif this weekend. I've been meaning to anyway, but that will be some extra impetus.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I just realised something can be improved on the gif. The Cryptonote part shall not show

Code:
5 XMR
?->?
But
Code:
? XMR
?->?
Because even the amount of XMR sent is not known.

Can you remind me who I should contact?

]Where can I tip for this?
papa_lazzarou, you should create an openalias, like donate.moneroblocks.eu. Q: What is openalias? How does it work?

fluffypony, did you think about a croudfunding company? On kickstarter, indiegogo, etc?
crowdfunding usually has a counterparty: you fund us, you get a discount on the final product.
Since we are fair-launched, there is no "discount on final product" that we can offer.

Well in that case it's just a matter of doing what Bitcoin has done in order for Monero to gain value. Monero needs to be accepted as a payment method by more merchants just like Overstock, Newegg, TigerDirect, etc etc etc.
You forget one thing: the required technology is not here yet. Bitcoin had 5 years to create it, we've been around for six months. Current development is exactly about that: making the technology able to scale up. The GUI wallet will include everything that is needed for that - that's why the GUI wallet is more than a nice GUI wrapper.
Once the technology is ready, we plan to market Monero big time and have it accepted by merchants. But not before, because it would only lead to disappointment.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
thanks a lot for this explorer! thats what we need.

would be nice if not only the latest blocks would be visible.

hail to all my monero brothers and sisters. 25 cents today, wish i had some money left Grin

Anything to make you happy. Cheesy

Just added a Block Browser to Monero Blocks.

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001
yes pretty much all those 3 and then slow but steady march to become a stable, mature native anonymous crypto currency... i'm pretty happy with the pace so far...  Grin

Look how bitcoin falls down. This is a chance for Monero to replace even Bitcoin...
I don't want to say that Monero should compete Bitcoin. It's somewhat a metaphore.

I just want to say Monero core team CAN attract investors right now under very comfortable conditions - that investors will just donate to core team without requiring profit back. Monero is under median of its cost, roughly 0.003 BTC, while now roughly 0.001. Investors can easily do 3:1 profit and meanwhile, donate the Monero core team.

According 2015 roadmap,

https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements/134/monday-monero-missives-22-year-in-review-january-5th-2015

I think there are just 3 key things Monero core team should implement in 2015 in order of priority:
1) i2p integration
2) a finalised, working, tested blockchain DB implementation using LMDB
3) multi-signature transactions

Other points of 2015 roadmap will be done automatically even by third parties. For example, GUI wallet or electrum-style wallet.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I've tested it exclusively in linux, but there are instructions to build in windows. I've never tried it. I'll start fiddling with it to work out the noob kinks. The devs say they've built it to run fine on windows, so it should.

I'll get back to yah after I give it a go and come up with a noob improved instruction set or I figure out how to distribute compiled binaries.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Windows will be the most important platform to get right for the DB and GUI release. I am happy to test on Windows 7 and maybe 8.1. Are there any instructions?
Q
legendary
Activity: 1624
Sorry I meant to say I was on windows which is where a true noob would be.  Is the DB still Linux only?

ETA: 8.1
legendary
So i havnt really been keeping up with whats going on here. Do we have databases worked out? Do we finally have it so that monero isnt loading the blockchain into ram? Do we have a dev supported gui? In general whats changed?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10062838

I can tell you first hand that the daemon is working with the database. On my 2 gig computer, it uses 800 megs of ram. So far I've run it for multiple 8 hour runs on the main net. I'm currently running it continuously - gonna see how long it goes.

I highly recommend that anyone who can should test drive the database.

I forget if it was explicitly stated somewhere, but in my mind, the logic was - we need to get the blockchain out of memory before releasing the GUI... so, the sooner the database build is released, the sooner the GUI happens.... so if you really wanna see things happen, you're gonna have to beta test the database build! At some point I can provide noob-approved instructions for doing this, and I'm thinking about offering XMR rewards for bug reports. I don't have much XMR to reward with, and I don't want to be taken to the bank with false bug reports, so we'll have to figure out a method.

If you can make it so I can run the DB it will surely be noob-approved Tongue

I promise to never ask for a reward Smiley

u on linux?
legendary
Activity: 1624
So i havnt really been keeping up with whats going on here. Do we have databases worked out? Do we finally have it so that monero isnt loading the blockchain into ram? Do we have a dev supported gui? In general whats changed?

I can tell you first hand that the daemon is working with the database. On my 2 gig computer, it uses 800 megs of ram. So far I've run it for multiple 8 hour runs on the main net. I'm currently running it continuously - gonna see how long it goes.

I forget if it was explicitly stated somewhere, but in my mind, the logic was - we need to get the blockchain out of memory before releasing the GUI... so, the sooner the database build is released, the sooner the GUI happens.... so if you really wanna see things happen, you're gonna have to beta test the database build! At some point I can provide noob-approved instructions for doing this, and I'm thinking about offering XMR rewards for bug reports. I don't have much XMR to reward with, and I don't want to be taken to the bank with false bug reports, so we'll have to figure out a method.

If you can make it so I can run the DB it will surely be noob-approved Tongue

I promise to never ask for a reward Smiley
Hey guys

We added Monero to out Altcoin NEWS and INFO Portal @satoshis.guru

Have a look!

NOW with Price andNetwork Stats

http://www.satoshis.guru/home/coin-info/monero/

http://www.satoshis.guru/home/coin-info/monero/graphs-monero/

greetz

Nice site! Thanks.
legendary

Activity: 243
Merit: 125
Look how bitcoin falls down. This is a chance for Monero to replace even Bitcoin...
I don't want to say that Monero should compete Bitcoin. It's somewhat a metaphore.

I just want to say Monero core team CAN attract investors right now under very comfortable conditions - that investors will just donate to core team without requiring profit back. Monero is under median of its cost, roughly 0.003 BTC, while now roughly 0.001. Investors can easily do 3:1 profit and meanwhile, donate the Monero core team.

According 2015 roadmap,

https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements/134/monday-monero-missives-22-year-in-review-january-5th-2015

I think there are just 3 key things Monero core team should implement in 2015 in order of priority:
1) i2p integration
2) a finalised, working, tested blockchain DB implementation using LMDB
3) multi-signature transactions

Other points of 2015 roadmap will be done automatically even by third parties. For example, GUI wallet or electrum-style wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Activity: 772
Decided to invest in monero since bitcoin is falling, hope i made the right choice. Grin
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
I think the easiest way is to get the deterministic seed words using the 'seed' command inside simplewallet. And recreate it on linux like so: "simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet *words*".

If your wallet is old and doesn't support the deterministic seed, you should just create a new one on linux and move your money there.

Code:
Error: The wallet is non-deterministic. Cannot display seed.

Guess my wallet is too old.
And if I move the money manually, isn't that gonna cost me a lot in transfer fees?

Afaik you don't need to rebuild from the seed, you can also rebuild from the keys file. So, delete or move your bin file, and just launch as normal with only the keys file, and it should successfully rebuild the binary file.
legendary
I think the easiest way is to get the deterministic seed words using the 'seed' command inside simplewallet. And recreate it on linux like so: "simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet *words*".

If your wallet is old and doesn't support the deterministic seed, you should just create a new one on linux and move your money there.

Code:

And if I move the money manually, isn't that gonna cost me a lot in transfer fees?

If I understand things correctly, you can use a low mixin (perhaps even 0) to reduce the transaction fee. You're sending the monero to yourself, so as long as the old wallet had a maintained anonymity, then a trace to a new wallet would just be (anonymous) -> (anonymous). Or crank the mixin up because, yah know, safety.

but don't take my word for it. Unlike your handle, im a new noob.
Activity: 687

Code:

Guys I'm sure this question has been asked before but the only post I can find when I google is from the official Monero forums and it has no replies.

How do you convert your wallet from Windows version to Linux version?
It's been generated in Windows and it works fine there but if I try to use it in Linux I get the same issue as this guy: https://forum.monero.cc/5/support/118/how-to-use-the-wallet-bin-generated-by-windows-simplewallet-in-linux

Jump to: