Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1177. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Hi, I'm really excited about this crypto projet, it seems like a better Bitcoin overall, especially after reading this: https://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~verbuech/klepto-ecdsa/klepto-ecdsa.pdf

Now not only it is a danger to use Bitcoin because all your coins are in "public" but wallets thought to be cold wallets could be hacked, I see with Monero its impossible to determine any wallets balance so even if this Bitcoin exploit applies it would not be easy to steal the coins  Smiley

Hey, welcome!

The paper you're linking is about a malicious implementation of ECDSA. It's nothing really new or scary. You can only steal coins of people that generated their cold wallet using your malicious implementation, not steal any wallet created on a sane implementation a posteriori. Monero is obviously not immune to this kind of exploit either. If you assume some part of the crypto primitives are malicious then every crypto-applications that we know would be exploitable.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Hi, I'm really excited about this crypto projet, it seems like a better Bitcoin overall, especially after reading this: https://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~verbuech/klepto-ecdsa/klepto-ecdsa.pdf

Now not only it is a danger to use Bitcoin because all your coins are in "public" but wallets thought to be cold wallets could be hacked, I see with Monero its impossible to determine any wallets balance so even if this Bitcoin exploit applies it would not be easy to steal the coins  Smiley
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Basic use: !dice 0.1 1.5For an explanation of how the provably fair system works, see !fair. There is even sample Python code supplied to check fairness of past rolls.
Do you plan to allow investement, like in JD?
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
The new tippero tipbot has learned a new trick!

Tippero now offers a provably fair dice game. You can play on IRC either in the #tippero channel, or directly with tippero (ie, /query tippero).

Basic use: !dice 0.1 1.5

This bets 0.1 monero for a 150% payout if you win. Multipliers can go from 0.1 to 10. House edge is 1%. Minimum bet 0.001 monero, maximum bet 5 monero.

See available dice commands with !commands dice. Game overview with !help dice. For an explanation of how the provably fair system works, see !fair. There is even sample Python code supplied to check fairness of past rolls.

This looks awesome, but how do I deposit XMR with the bot?

Figured it out:
Code:
!help payment

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
21 million. I want them all.
Question: are exchanges and marketplaces always going to need to custom build the architecture to automate XMR deposits?
Eventually, no. Meanwhile, coding takes time.

There is no rush. Obviously we're at the alpha stage here and there are more important things on the roadmap.

I was honestly wondering whether one day different exchanges and other platforms could use basically the same code to accept Cryptonote coins. Or whether each individual platform had to figure out how to integrate it on their respective platforms.

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Question: are exchanges and marketplaces always going to need to custom build the architecture to automate XMR deposits?
Eventually, no. Meanwhile, coding takes time.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I have just returned here after a period of absence, has the code been fixed since?
I was unable to send any transaction over 1 XMR in size, also there needs to be a GUI wallet that actually works.
We've never had an issue with transactions over 1 XMR in size in our entire history. If you had a specific issue (such as a lot of dust and transactions needing to be split) then that's a specific problem that you'd have to address by sending larger amounts to a separate wallet to clear out the dust.

Actually there has been in the early mining days a problem with the big transactions if you were small miner or in a (too) bog pool: your wallet was full of dust and 1 XMR was too big for a transaction. I had that myself.
But meanwhile the pools started sending bigger "chunks" of payment and most of us don't really have dust anymore in the wallets, hence the problem is not existing anymore.
Now, since the tx fee is based on the transaction size, if you still have old wallet with dust, you may have to pay quite a lot for some of the transactions - see https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10170580

The old dust problem is what I was alluding to, but again - that wasn't an issue specific to "transactions > 1 XMR" necessarily (it would depend on the miner's capacity and what there payouts were etc.) The pool software was patched for that ages ago, and we added transaction splitting to simplewallet quite early on as well.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
I have just returned here after a period of absence, has the code been fixed since?
I was unable to send any transaction over 1 XMR in size, also there needs to be a GUI wallet that actually works.
We've never had an issue with transactions over 1 XMR in size in our entire history. If you had a specific issue (such as a lot of dust and transactions needing to be split) then that's a specific problem that you'd have to address by sending larger amounts to a separate wallet to clear out the dust.

Actually there has been in the early mining days a problem with the big transactions if you were small miner or in a (too) bog pool: your wallet was full of dust and 1 XMR was too big for a transaction. I had that myself.
But meanwhile the pools started sending bigger "chunks" of payment and most of us don't really have dust anymore in the wallets, hence the problem is not existing anymore.
Now, since the tx fee is based on the transaction size, if you still have old wallet with dust, you may have to pay quite a lot for some of the transactions - see https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10170580

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

I'm not sure what specifically you're asking that needed to be fixed - we've had tons of bugs that we've squashed and continue to squash:) You may want to read our "Year in Review" Missive: https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-announcements/134/monday-monero-missives-22-year-in-review-january-5th-2015

There does need to be a GUI wallet that actually works (if you are loathe to use https://mymonero.com to transact), and if you'd like to see that happen then our donation address is donate.monero.cc (which resolves to 46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8a HYjA3jk3o1Bv16em if you need to double-check)
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
The new tippero tipbot has learned a new trick!

Tippero now offers a provably fair dice game. You can play on IRC either in the #tippero channel, or directly with tippero (ie, /query tippero).

Basic use: !dice 0.1 1.5

This bets 0.1 monero for a 150% payout if you win. Multipliers can go from 0.1 to 10. House edge is 1%. Minimum bet 0.001 monero, maximum bet 5 monero.

See available dice commands with !commands dice. Game overview with !help dice. For an explanation of how the provably fair system works, see !fair. There is even sample Python code supplied to check fairness of past rolls.

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
21 million. I want them all.
Question: are exchanges and marketplaces always going to need to custom build the architecture to automate XMR deposits? We have this situation with Cryptsy where Monero is the top voted coin to be added to the marketplace, but they are too busy to do the work to change it. Can there never be a plug and play solution for exchange and marketplace owners? This is really a problem for all Cryptonote coins so Nicolas van Saberhagen, zoidberg, and anyone else in the Cryptonote family should be united with you guys (XMR devs) on this if nothing else.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
hrm. This windows adventure is taking longer than i thought. Can't figure out how to get liblmdb in this msys thing. Perhaps this weekend I'll have something put together.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
So I'm the process of transferring my money to a new wallet.
I have managed to transfer the most of it but now 0.120263669446 is left.

Now simplewallet refuses to transfer them to my new wallet. If I try to send the whole amount the transaction fee is about 0.21 so I can't send the total amount.
And if I try to send 0.01 the transaction fee is 0.17.

Does this mean the money is stuck in this wallet?
Isn't there any way to set the tx fee manually?

I think it's stuck. Miner pools used to payout tiny dust amounts, so you have tiny outputs that are now too costly to transfer with the current 0.001 XMR/kb fee. There's not really any way to set a custom tx fee, afaik, unless you build a custom daemon/wallet and then mine the transaction yourself, which is probably not worth the effort. On the plus side it's only worth about $0.02 USD at the moment, so not a huge loss...

Sounds like that. My recommendation is to take that wallet (.keys file) and store it away securely. In few years if XMR increases in value those few coins might be worth a lot (and transaction fees in XMR will be lower).

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Now simplewallet refuses to transfer them to my new wallet. If I try to send the whole amount the transaction fee is about 0.21 so I can't send the total amount.

I think it's stuck. Miner pools used to payout tiny dust amounts, so you have tiny outputs that are now too costly to transfer with the current 0.001 XMR/kb fee. There's not really any way to set a custom tx fee, afaik, unless you build a custom daemon/wallet and then mine the transaction yourself, which is probably not worth the effort. On the plus side it's only worth about $0.02 USD at the moment, so not a huge loss...
Activity: 687
Merit: 500

Activity: 306
Merit: 251
Can someone explain to me when sending a payment what the mixin does?  Is there an ideal number to use?   Thanks

It is a number of "fake" outputs that are used to construct your transaction such that an observer can't tell the difference between those fake outputs and yours. So this provides untraceability.

The larger the number the more fake outputs will be used so more ambiguity as to the real source and more untracability, however this will make your transaction larger and more expensive. For general use something like 3 is probably fine. If you have a particular transaction you really want to be very untraceable, you can use a higher number, 20, 100 or more (again at the cost of higher a transaction fee). Don't use 0 or 1 at all if you are concerned about privacy, although even if you didn't it wouldn't mean a particular transaction could instantly be identified as yours, it is more of a question of overall health of the system.

The animation under "Blockchain analysis resistance" here may be somewhat helpful: https://cryptonote.org/inside/

Ok that is crystal clear for me now.  Thanks smooth.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Can someone explain to me when sending a payment what the mixin does?  Is there an ideal number to use?   Thanks

It is a number of "fake" outputs that are used to construct your transaction such that an observer can't tell the difference between those fake outputs and yours. So this provides untraceability.

The larger the number the more fake outputs will be used so more ambiguity as to the real source and more untracability, however this will make your transaction larger and more expensive. For general use something like 3 is probably fine. If you have a particular transaction you really want to be very untraceable, you can use a higher number, 20, 100 or more (again at the cost of higher a transaction fee). Don't use 0 or 1 at all if you are concerned about privacy, although even if you did it wouldn't mean a particular transaction could instantly be identified as yours, it is more of a question of overall health of the system.

The animation under "Blockchain analysis resistance" here may be somewhat helpful: https://cryptonote.org/inside/

Can someone explain to me when sending a payment what the mixin does?  Is there an ideal number to use?   Thanks

Windows will be the most important platform to get right for the DB and GUI release. I am happy to test on Windows 7 and maybe 8.1. Are there any instructions?
Q

I can test too.  Window 8.0.  Include me in your noob instructions for windows Ginger_Ale when you have it ready.
Jump to: