Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1220. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 250
So we're under 0.001 now?

What a mess.
Yeah, and even a bit down from 0.001BTC.
Hold?

Don't hold - sell to me Wink

Currently Monero is the only cryptocurrency that is needed rather than Bitcoin due to its total conceptual anonymity.

No other cryptocurrency is needed because of Bitcoin does exist. Bitcoin is a monopolist in its own niche of 'White' transactions yet independent on Banks & Goverment.
If you want decentalized asset exchange - you can build it over Bitcoin blockchain. If you want juridical proof of existence - it has been already built over Bitcoin blockchain.
And so on.

100% I think Bitcoin *blockchain* is what you need for 'White' yet independent commerce. That why no other 'White' cryptocurrency based on another blockchain will survive.

Meanwhile Monero is the only monopolist in its niche of 'Trully Black' transtactions independent on Banks & Goverment too AND totally anonymous.

There are no other niches in cryptocurrency world, whatever people might speculate about.

Just Bitcoin & Monero. White & Black. Day & Night. Nothing else.

i do hold high expectations for btc and xmr, but : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHqgHFcmAOc   Roll Eyes
Activity: 243
Merit: 125

What a mess.
Hold?

Don't hold - sell to me Wink

Currently Monero is the only cryptocurrency that is needed rather than Bitcoin due to its total conceptual anonymity.

No other cryptocurrency is needed because of Bitcoin does exist. Bitcoin is a monopolist in its own niche of 'White' transactions yet independent on Banks & Goverment.
If you want decentalized asset exchange - you can build it over Bitcoin blockchain. If you want juridical proof of existence - it has been already built over Bitcoin blockchain.
And so on.

100% I think Bitcoin *blockchain* is what you need for 'White' yet independent commerce. That why no other 'White' cryptocurrency based on another blockchain will survive.

Meanwhile Monero is the only monopolist in its niche of 'Trully Black' transtactions independent on Banks & Goverment too AND totally anonymous.

There are no other niches in cryptocurrency world, whatever people might speculate about.

Just Bitcoin & Monero. White & Black. Day & Night. Nothing else.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I'm a Firestarter!

What a mess.
Hold?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

What a mess.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

"If you can't catch falling knives, you'll never make it as a juggler."  --juggler.
juggling with assets is not wise

Personally, I DCA, but the meme was for meme's sake(  Tongue )--now back to XMR talk on the XMR thread and speculation on the speculation thread.
Activity: 722
Merit: 500
StakeChain Community leader

"If you can't catch falling knives, you'll never make it as a juggler."  --juggler.
juggling with assets is not wise
legendary
The 0.001 lever is broke. New low levels has to be discovered.
I invested 0.12 BTC @ 0.0012 but for now is was not a good choice.
Hopefully is was just a spike below 0.001 but the presure is to high I afraid.
Maybe I buy extra @ 0.0005?

For now strategy is holding and see where XMR hits the floor.
Never try to catch falling knives.

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I'm a Firestarter!
Floor can be anywhere.
Now it is as is, tomorrow it might not be as now it is ... with crypto you never know.
You can just dont care about the price and keep holding.
For those who needs money, they sell no matter of price/value.

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001
sorry for off topic but couldn't resist... somehow i can't get this future vision out of my head where people will have to resort to smuggling in cheaper and equally effective generics using monero...  Cheesy

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-12-16/great-generic-drug-rip
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
what kind of hopes did you have? get rich overnight? Roll Eyes if you're in this for speculative trading then this sort of outcome is expected of any volatile cryptocurrency, including bitcoin but if you have long term plans for xmr and know its potential then you shouldn't be seeing it as a loss...
what kind of hopes ... and if it means "had" or "have" not sure, either. I am watching market numbers, naturaly, and they show me a change in the 2nd and 3rd top trade positions. LTC got replaced, sunken onto 3rd position today which is a first timer.

And then I have Hopes, meaning any crypto based technology could break out of the monetary system as we experience it on our everyday use cases. I still buy grocery using classical paper bills. Dont own credit card.

That newcomer on 2nd position worries me. It feels like monetary system with it's centralized banking is invading the crypto sphere. Only 65.77 % or $ 30,000,000 had been Bitcoin trades the last day, Ripple is now up to 16.80 % market share on the trades. They pushed almost $ 8,000,000 into this and I have a feeling this is not all gunpowder available.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Right now one needs PAE  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension to run Monero on 32 bit systems making them effectively 36 bit. This is because Monero needs to address more than 4GB of memory (bitmonerod takes approximately 4.8GB on 64bit Kubuntu). This can work on GNU/Linux. On 32 bit Windows however, Microsoft cripples the desktop versions to 4GB RAM (that is the nature of a propriety OS) so even though they support PAE it still will not work.

So in theory you should just be able to compile a 32 bit version of simplewallet, and then run simplewallet using a remote 64 bit version of bitmonerod? Or this is impossible because of some incompatibility between 32 bit simplewallet and 64 bit bitmonerod?

Possibly. It depends if anything in the encoding of the .bin http requests is architecture specific. I don't know either way.
legendary
Please, be aware that using a remote daemon compromises your privacy, as it leaks your transactions data. Someone in the middle sniffing your connection would be able to take a look at it, as well as the people operating the remote daemon. So basically you are trusting the person running the daemon and that no one is snooping your connection .

Quoting smooth from https://forum.monero.cc/4/academic-and-technical/10/remote-monero-deamon :

I think it is possible to mostly fix this model of light wallet by connecting to two nodes getting mixins from both. Then randomly choose have the mixins from each. Neither will be able to tell which is your coin source.

Snooping of transactions doesn't really matter -- they are public anyway --although snooping of the mixins could matter, and snooping of your IP could matter. Both issue can be largely fixed (granted not NSA-proof) by connecting to the nodes over Tor. A simple proxy setup should work.

Even over Tor, wouldn't it leak destination addresses and transactions amounts?

EDIT: Oh, OK, if the node is running as an .onion service then the channel would be secure, but would the node be able to get addresses and amounts?

No, the node sees the same transaction everyone else sees (e.g. by looking on chainexplorer.com, or the blockchain itself). That by itself doesn't include anything particularly useful (and can't).

With Tor the node could not correlate this with an IP address, which would be the only extra information it has if the mixins are blinded using multiple nodes as I described. The nodes would have to collude to identify the real source of the transaction.

legendary
Please, be aware that using a remote daemon compromises your privacy, as it leaks your transactions data. Someone in the middle sniffing your connection would be able to take a look at it, as well as the people operating the remote daemon. So basically you are trusting the person running the daemon and that no one is snooping your connection .

Quoting smooth from https://forum.monero.cc/4/academic-and-technical/10/remote-monero-deamon :

I think it is possible to mostly fix this model of light wallet by connecting to two nodes getting mixins from both. Then randomly choose have the mixins from each. Neither will be able to tell which is your coin source.

Snooping of transactions doesn't really matter -- they are public anyway --although snooping of the mixins could matter, and snooping of your IP could matter. Both issue can be largely fixed (granted not NSA-proof) by connecting to the nodes over Tor. A simple proxy setup should work.

If the remote node is trusted, in the light wallet user's opinion, would it be possible to eliminate snooping by using https?

Sure. The node operator can even do this without modifying the node with stunnel.

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

If the remote node is trusted, in the light wallet user's opinion, would it be possible to eliminate snooping by using https?
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
https://monerohash.com

EDIT: Oh, OK, if the node is running as an .onion service then the channel would be secure, but would the node be able to get addresses and amounts?
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Right now one needs PAE  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension to run Monero on 32 bit systems making them effectively 36 bit. This is because Monero needs to address more than 4GB of memory (bitmonerod takes approximately 4.8GB on 64bit Kubuntu). This can work on GNU/Linux. On 32 bit Windows however, Microsoft cripples the desktop versions to 4GB RAM (that is the nature of a propriety OS) so even though they support PAE it still will not work.

So in theory you should just be able to compile a 32 bit version of simplewallet, and then run simplewallet using a remote 64 bit version of bitmonerod? Or this is impossible because of some incompatibility between 32 bit simplewallet and 64 bit bitmonerod?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
does the new wallet still require 64-bit system?

Yea, because it still uses simplewallet, it's really just a wrapper. If someone could compile a 32 bit version of simplewallet for windows though, then it would work (I'm not sure if the daemon is the limiting factor keeping things 64-bit at the moment, but I think it is).

Last week I was trying to compile a 32-bits linux version of the daemon and the wallet. I had to tweak the code a little bit for the compilation to go through and complete without complains.
But after that I got a seg fault at execution. I checked for bitmonerod, gdb tells me it fails on an AES instruction (called from slowhash() if I remember well). Pretty sure it's an issue with a memory alignement that is not as assumed on 32-bits systems. Didn't check further after that, and didn't check where was the simplewallet error (it fails on wallet creation, after asking for the language) but I presume it is the same origin.

If you aren't mining just tweak the useAes variable so it never uses AES instructions.

Now that you say this, I think I tried that already by force setting the support_aes (or whatever it is called) variable to -1 instead of actually testing for hardware AES support. Then it was failing shorlty afterwards on something else than AES, and I think I gave up at that point. Like always after fiddling, I should have taken some notes!

And I realize it was on pae-capable hardware but without pae kernel.  Embarrassed
Will try again after upgrading kernel then, and let you know.
Jump to: