Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1394. (Read 4670630 times)

Activity: 263
Merit: 250
It verifies checkpoints when loading off disk. It's a bad idea to treat the blockchain as a "file" (same with p2pstate and poolstate), as we have and will abstract these away from their physical files.

Checkpoints are a temporary measure that we're going to get away from eventually, so we're just doing the best we can with something we'll be stuck with for the next few years:)

Well duh, my bad. If it verifies checkpoints then only the checkpoints need to be signed Smiley
Furthermore, even after abstracting, there is still going to be a file on the disk, even if that is a compact DB.
Finally, 'next few years' seems like a lot of checkpoints to me to be doing them manually.

But I understand there are other complexities involved with key management, so there definitely is a trade-off here.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
My understanding is that the daemon doesn't verify the correctness of the blockchain when it's loading it from disk, and for performance reasons the intention is to keep it this way. In this case, shouldn't the daemon sign all the bin files (i.e. pool, p2p, chain)? Shouldn't it verify the blockchain if there is a problem with the signature?

I argue that automatic checkpoints should be treated the same way, not in case you guys disappear, but so that you don't have to do it manually in the future Smiley

It verifies checkpoints when loading off disk. It's a bad idea to treat the blockchain as a "file" (same with p2pstate and poolstate), as we have and will abstract these away from their physical files.

Checkpoints are a temporary measure that we're going to get away from eventually, so we're just doing the best we can with something we'll be stuck with for the next few years:)
Plus open checkpoints evaluated at runtime allow us to disappear off the face of the earth and a new group could still deliver checkpoints (ie. a reduction in centralisation).

The only plausible way for someone else to take over if we disappear off the face of the earth would be to also take over maintaining the software, which means they could change any public key used to verify a signature, if it were done that way.

The idea that the existing software can continue to run indefinitely and decentralized without being updated is totally implausible.

Point. So then the checkpoints.json thing is a convenience tool more than anything else.

In any case I agree with your point that it doesn't need to be signed, especially if blockchain.bin is not signed.
My understanding is that the daemon doesn't verify the correctness of the blockchain when it's loading it from disk, and for performance reasons the intention is to keep it this way. In this case, shouldn't the daemon sign all the bin files (i.e. pool, p2p, chain)? Shouldn't it verify the blockchain if there is a problem with the signature?

I argue that automatic checkpoints should be treated the same way, not in case you guys disappear, but so that you don't have to do it manually in the future Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Thanks for clarifying!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

https://github.com/fluffypony/bitmonero/commit/014708fe71c1379af281ca9ac17e82c159e98e6d

lol Smiley

Monero devs (particular fluffypony) have no idea what they do Smiley

fluffypony, isn't he lead dev of XMR?
Check Descryption column in row with his name here
https://privacysolutions.no/

No that is a mistake on the privacysolutions web site. Now that you've pointed it out I'm sure he will have it corrected.

fluffypony made a mistake thinking the BBR commit was a general cryptonote exploit issue.

In the current environment being a bit on edge is understandable.

I see that it has has been reverted.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
legendary
Plus open checkpoints evaluated at runtime allow us to disappear off the face of the earth and a new group could still deliver checkpoints (ie. a reduction in centralisation).

The only plausible way for someone else to take over if we disappear off the face of the earth would be to also take over maintaining the software, which means they could change any public key used to verify a signature, if it were done that way.

The idea that the existing software can continue to run indefinitely and decentralized without being updated is totally implausible.

Point. So then the checkpoints.json thing is a convenience tool more than anything else.

In any case I agree with your point that it doesn't need to be signed, especially if blockchain.bin is not signed.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

legendary

I've never mined any coin in my life. I am interested in mining Monero. I run Ubuntu. Is there an easy/straightforward guide on how i can set this up?

Welcome, and let me point you to http://monero.cc/getting-started/index.html

Depending on your setup, make sure to read the OP and look for a list of miners. You might have to follow their threads to get more information about how to compile, run, configure them from their own threads (if applicable).
Hi folk,

I suspect some potential problem, so i would like to ask to contact me every exchange that trade CN (especially Polo, Bittrex and Bter).
If someone is in touch with exchange operators, please let them know.

Zoidberg

X-posted from BBR thread. Seems an attack against Cryptonote coins may actually be underway?

Is there a link to actual post where crypto_zoidberg posted this?

Click on "Quote from: crypto_zoidberg on Today at 07:06:01 PM" at the top of the quote.

Post was removed.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Edit: never mind, seems this isn't to do with the ongoing attack threat and the devs are already on top of it.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
thinks.
how long temporary security precaution?

The initial announcement was for 24 hours. We're waiting for the developers to post more details if there's anything going on that would require it to be prolonged.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Hi folk,

I suspect some potential problem, so i would like to ask to contact me every exchange that trade CN (especially Polo, Bittrex and Bter).
If someone is in touch with exchange operators, please let them know.

Zoidberg

X-posted from BBR thread. Seems an attack against Cryptonote coins may actually be underway?

Is there a link to actual post where crypto_zoidberg posted this?
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
I've never mined any coin in my life. I am interested in mining Monero. I run Ubuntu. Is there an easy/straightforward guide on how i can set this up?
Activity: 9
bittrex.com

Disabled Monero   Disabled XMR

???

wallet offline precaution at request of the devs

why?

Here is the best and shortest write-up i've seen so far. btw, you should be able to buy/sell, just not withdraw or deposit.  

http://bullbearanalytics.com/2014/09/23/whats-going-monero/

[edit - removed tracking info that i missed sorry]
thinks ,I not withdraw or deposit. why?
I want deposit xmr.

temporary security precaution
thinks.
how long temporary security precaution?
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Edit: never mind, seems this isn't to do with the ongoing attack threat and the devs are already on top of it.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
bittrex.com

???

why?

Here is the best and shortest write-up i've seen so far. btw, you should be able to buy/sell, just not withdraw or deposit.  

I want deposit xmr.

temporary security precaution
Activity: 9
bittrex.com

???

why?

I want deposit xmr.
Jump to: