Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1406. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
I was talking about smooth response.  Admitting the points of failure and how it deserved to go down if three points of failure (pools) was all it took under threat from bcx...He aknowled the weaknesses.

Risto is just buying at 310 what should be priced at 210 and saying shetoric.  And u r just some dumb fanboy who is working at walmart ...

Have you seen any evidence of Risto buying the past day or so?  I haven't.  Usually I do.  Personally, I think he's too risk averse to buy right here now.  I know he has repriced his options.  If you think it should be at 210, maybe you should buy some of his super-cheap puts - you would make a bundle.  If not I can only infer that you are talking smack.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I do it myself sometimes.  I generally regret it later, however.

I on the otherhand have been buying, and will continue to buy.  Not because I'm more clever, but because I have to have more risk tolerance than Risto needs to have.

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I was talking about smooth response.  Admitting the points of failure and how it deserved to go down if three points of failure (pools) was all it took under threat from bcx...He aknowled the weaknesses.

Risto is just buying at 310 what should be priced at 210 and saying shetoric.  And u r just some dumb fanboy who is working at walmart ...
Activity: 82
Other than mining (preferably solo) and running bitmonerod, is there anything else that regular Monero users can do in the immediate future to help defend against the expected attack tomorrow, or allow faster repair of the damage if any?

Rpietila said earlier today that the developers were already "implementing fixes".  Should we expect a new release before the claimed attack time?

I assume backing up the blockchain now may save time in case another recovery from a fork is required?

Might the quantity and nature (e.g., mix level) of transactions in the near future have any relevance?
Well u guys are responding more/better than I thought u would ... I might buy if it goes low...good to see things in an aspiring coin becoming stronger not weaker with adversities.   

I'm still throwing my whale party and buying popcorn tonight tho
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
And yes u have smooth.  Pools are an inherant weakness ... esp to cpu coins ... they need to be eliminated for all coins for security reasons Imo fwiw

Concepts are under development. Of course it won't help with the immediate threat, but with every attack you become stronger.

Securing hash and pools might be a better resources spent for mew than trying to keep the price from crashing like they've been doing.

You can tell em I said so :p

Some pool operators are part of MEW I think and they are doing everything they can to secure their pools. Other MEW participants are not technical or in any position to do anything at all with respect to pools. As far as their trading activity I have no knowledge of it or particular interest in it so I can't comment. I will say that I have bought a few coins myself, but it wasn't to prop the price up, just because I think we will eventually come out stronger, so I'm speculating.

And yes u have smooth.  Pools are an inherant weakness ... esp to cpu coins ... they need to be eliminated for all coins for security reasons Imo fwiw

Concepts are under development. Of course it won't help with the immediate threat, but with every attack you become stronger.

Securing hash and pools might be a better resources spent for mew than trying to keep the price from crashing like they've been doing.

You can tell em I said so :p
legendary

He ddosd polonex and overcame 200gbs ddos shield...isn't that enough to take down all three big pools and have peanuts of hash left?

It's scary that majority of the network hash is concentrated on these 3 pools ,we are in big trouble  Sad

I was saying this two days ago ... pool operators if they have not sold to bcx need to find a way to seamlessly spit the hash to multiple servers with ddos.

Only bad part is pools don't make much money ... like 200 each a day?  So security of the network is really on three central sites makes 200 a day before expenses

Maybe MEW thought of this tho?  And secretly secured the pools somehow???
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
He ddosd polonex and overcame 200gbs ddos shield...isn't that enough to take down all three big pools and have peanuts of hash left?
[/quote

It's scary that majority of the network hash is concentrated on these 3 pools ,we are in big trouble  Sad
legendary

I've been telling people to move to small pools and solo mine for several days now. If they don't listen, I can't really do any more than that.

If this coin is attacked by DDoS of three pools then we deserve it. Sorry to say.

Is there anyway those pools could forward to different smaller subset pools?  More targets?  Big pools spit to many small ones???

Of course. These are all good suggestions.

I've been telling people to move to small pools and solo mine for several days now. If they don't listen, I can't really do any more than that.

If this coin is attacked by DDoS of three pools then we deserve it. Sorry to say.

Is there anyway those pools could forward to different smaller subset pools?  More targets?  Big pools spit to many small ones???
legendary

Activity: 176
Merit: 100
so there is / was a confirmed flaws / possible exploits ?

countdown timer for attack is still wasting away, about 18 hours to go now i guess we'll see if its legit or not...
Activity: 462
Merit: 500
XMR Bahholders

Activity: 462
Merit: 500
big news -  Poloniex is getting dossed by someone claiming to be BCX who got banned and claimed he would attack them!! da fuq!!??\

edit - sorry they are back right now. we'll see.

No he got them  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
big news -  Poloniex is getting dossed by someone claiming to be BCX who got banned and claimed he would attack them!! da fuq!!??\

BitcoinEXpress: starting 3 mins
rocco: BitcoinEXpress, aight
twotimer: BitcoinEXpress, good luck wid dat
maqa71: WTF
CTTE: BitcoinEXpress, so, you're attacking polo?
BitcoinEXpress: just testing for the monent
BitcoinEXpress: 2 mins
twotimer: he's a trolll... good luck DB
BitcoinEXpress: will be down 5 mins
CTTE: someone has a "god " complex
twotimer: LMFAO
twotimer: LOSER ALERT
rocco: people will post this chat in the forum, an then, rocco the mofo is famous
checkpoints13: oldmankidd is here?
cashtronx: god is in here
rocco: BitcoinEXpress, do not steal our xmr homie or we might come and get you
twotimer: god is everywhere.
twotimer: .. not.
cashtronx: why be a king/queen when you can be a god/goddess
twotimer: bcx is a mega fail. watch and see.
CTTE: I said god with a lower case "g"
cryptocurrent: at least we will know the truth about this nonsense soon enough
OldManKidd: BitcoinEXpress, you are threatening to attack poloniex?
maqa71: looks like
checkpoints13: OldManKidd, yes
twotimer: i'm pretty sure he did yes indeed.
Banhammer: BitcoinEXpress banned for 100 hr 0 min by OldManKidd.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959

Activity: 135
Merit: 100
And where is the apology for being a dick towards zoidberg and James all along? Not only personally but spreading your venom to other delusional slaves in the management chain? Nice press release, my compliments for the wonderful use of snake oil.

This has been a busy day. The taskforce of crypto_zoidberg, AnonyMint, jl777 and some Monero developers and MEW members has diligently worked on the code and is implementing fixes to possible exploits that might give the attacker the upper hand. The code is evaluated so that we can say with certainty that no coinkiller exploit can be used against us, and this makes me thankful for the original coders of CryptoNote. It is too often forgotten that without this unique technology there would be no Monero that has taken the torch, determined to carry it beyond the current limits of cryptoworld.

Jump to: