Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1404. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001
he's just one of those sad trolls fishing for noobs...  Grin amazing how pathetic they can get... despite whining and bitching they still keep coming back... looks like monero got them by the balls pretty good... Cheesy

The attack threat will be over in a few hours and by then your XMR will be worth nada. You shoulda stayed true to btc and not started with with monero. Today is gonna be a sad day for your portfolio.

Good luck

You are beyond pathetic. Malicious twerp.

Karma will bite a nice chunk out of your ass one day.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Quoting for info:

BCX, was that you in the polo chat under a different name?

For the record I did not DDOS Poloniex.

If I did I promise you I would have told you.

I have nothing against Poloniex and have no interest bothering them.

As was pointed out by a few other posters, this is not my style.

More than likely some poser that was going to try and get some coins out of you.

None of this meant to be a hostile action, I just want to see if XMR can fix their holes.

Anyone can knock down a coin by hitting an exchange. No fun in that.

Believe what you want to believe but anybody that has been here for any time knows, that wasn't me.

~BCX~
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
LOL...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

can't believe folks wouldn't want out, like i said before...glad i was in/out on this coin when it was in the know.  now....sorry but given what's come to light no way i'd be back in, it's the plain truth.  anyone who is "RAH RAH RAH" about this coin is obviously in deep and just wants to get out with their shirt still somewhat on. 

it was promising but just like SO many other coins, once shit hits the fan, the only way is down people.  i've been burned a quite a few coins and not with this one!  don't go down with the ship! 
Activity: 654
Merit: 250
xmr to the moon...to day
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
To be clear, I wasn't asking whether the attack might start earlier than claimed, which is obvious, but whether that was the only reason to refrain from any transactions now.

I don't have any information whatsoever about anything unusual happening at this time. As far as I can tell, everything is working perfectly. Hope that helps.

If it becomes publicly clear at time X that an attack has begun, approximately when (relative to X) would the "old part of the blockchain" (which you said "will be fine regardless") end?

That depends on the nature of the attack and how quickly we are able to detect it.

I can only say that a credible threat has been made, with a time stated for when it will occur.

No change to what I said earlier about not being aware of anything unusual happening at this time.

Beyond that you will have to use your own judgement

With no assumptions about the accuracy of BCX's claimed time frame, I was trying to understand how far back the blockchain could be affected relative to whatever time an attack becomes publicly apparent.  If there's a range of possibilities, I'm interested in the earliest realistic one (given the kind of attacks you can envision).  Presumably you have some such time limit in mind (otherwise the "old part of the blockchain" wouldn't seem to mean much).  Since I'm quite unclear what kind of attacks are plausible, my own judgment isn't helpful on that point (of estimating that time limit).
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

I tried this, and it has been saying "pending evaluation for over an hour.  Maybe because this is my first time setting up an EC2 instance?

The price for the spot instances is rising. Perhaps you did not bid high enough?

No if your price is too low you get "price too low" message. Something else is wrong with his configuration.

a way to have a full node start mining automatically upon launch?

create a script start.sh in your home directory:

Code:
./bitmonerod --start-mining [addr] --mining-threads [threads]

Use the command crontab -e to edit your crontab file. put the following line in there:

Code:
@reboot sh start.sh

Reboot to test. If it works, make an image of it, use that image to start more instances.

Since you are coding in the number of threads you probably want a different image for each instance type

EDIT: Also be sure to open port 18080 (incoming tcp). You can do that when you launch the instance or you can do it when already started by modifying the security group for it.

Activity: 767
Merit: 500
Judging from the recent XMR volume stats, not much of the buying is going on. I wonder if this whole thing about the attack wasn't contrived to buy some cheap XMR it could mean that the exploit is a real threat.

It's significant that the threats against XMR were made in the Poloniex trollbox, then Poloniex was DDOSed as a "test" last night.

I've been following all this since the beginning, and the whole thing looks like nothing more than an elaborate price manipulation scheme to me.

Um the price of xmr is certainly not at it's lowest atm. The coins were already snatched up by the people who wanted them at such a steep discount. That is the exploit he was talking about. Being able to exploit the weak hands. I think the community has played it fairly well so far.

Is it in bad taste to offer a bounty for someone who can give bcx a taste of his own medicine?
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
Judging from the recent XMR volume stats, not much of the buying is going on. I wonder if this whole thing about the attack wasn't contrived to buy some cheap XMR it could mean that the exploit is a real threat.

It's significant that the threats against XMR were made in the Poloniex trollbox, then Poloniex was DDOSed as a "test" last night.

I've been following all this since the beginning, and the whole thing looks like nothing more than an elaborate price manipulation scheme to me.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
BCExpress threatens to derail poloniex too ( wasn't successful though) ! Is he gone bonkers?
Activity: 400
Merit: 263

The attack threat will be over in a few hours and by then your XMR will be worth nada. You shoulda stayed true to btc and not started with with monero. Today is gonna be a sad day for your portfolio.

Good luck

You are beyond pathetic. Malicious twerp.

Karma will bite a nice chunk out of your ass one day.
legendary
To be clear, I wasn't asking whether the attack might start earlier than claimed, which is obvious, but whether that was the only reason to refrain from any transactions now.

I don't have any information whatsoever about anything unusual happening at this time. As far as I can tell, everything is working perfectly. Hope that helps.

If it becomes publicly clear at time X that an attack has begun, approximately when (relative to X) would the "old part of the blockchain" (which you said "will be fine regardless") end?

That depends on the nature of the attack and how quickly we are able to detect it.

I can only say that a credible threat has been made, with a time stated for when it will occur.

No change to what I said earlier about not being aware of anything unusual happening at this time.

Beyond that you will have to use your own judgement
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
The block before the baddie block ?

Good luck

That is what you get for not staying true to btc? Sounds like btc is an abuser in an abusive relationship  Cheesy
Activity: 38
Merit: 0

I think all the people trying to profit each way will wind up with minimal profits from all this.

I agree with this!
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale
I doubt it. Probably get a little spike from people trying to front run, then they'll sell off slowly as they realize nothing really happened. It might get around .0035 for a while, but it was pretty much headed to .003 when all this happened anyway.

The devs aren't any different than they were a few days ago. Unless you have some new devs I haven't heard about?

There are a host of new people, in MEW and outside, who are contributing to XMR development now. This development boost will definitely not end when this attack threat is over. I am very grateful to this work, mostly donated by members of community that believe standing up to outside threat is not only somebody's duty but that of their own. In decentralized development there are no somebodies. Everyone can contribute and the number of volunteering requests sent has been much more than what we have been able to centrally organize. Therefore people have developed this kind of initiatives (I will add link soon) all by themselves.

As for the market, it may do whatever. I have probably been following it more closely than you, and it seemed to me that it was just about to explode to the upside after making a triple bottom in 370, or especially after the capitulation in 340. When it was resolved to go up, came the "trollbox ultimatum" with known consequences to the price. After combining many trend models, the price should imo be in the 360-400 range now with a strong upward trend. Judging from the fundamentals, much higher.

Congratulations for nomination to be a Boolberry executive! Smiley I have also become an executive in MEW. It is important for the lurkers to know where we stand and why I suddenly care to answer to your messages that I have previously ignored due to our personal issues.

Please tell me, which of the Boolberry threads needs my introduction and predictions of the BBR price trends? I am happy to make a counter-visit Smiley

Good luck

legendary
Other than mining (preferably solo) and running bitmonerod, is there anything else that regular Monero users can do in the immediate future to help defend against the expected attack tomorrow, or allow faster repair of the damage if any?

If there is evidence of an attack or even when an attack seems likely the best thing to do is simply not engage in transactions. The old part of the blockchain will be fine regardless.

We don't find credible the claim of an attack against private keys (see mathematical analysis posted here). Of course we could be wrong, but we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it. No one can guarantee zero risk, but we believe this risk is very low.

You don't need to personally back up your blockchain, if there is an kind of attack against it there will be an update that will recover it just as there was with the last attack, which was likely far more sophisticated in terms of technical knowledge required than anything BCX has in mind, but that is just my guess. It can't hurt though.

Don't panic (ever). Wait for further updates.

Thanks, are you recommending to refrain from any transactions even now, many hours before the alleged start time of the attack (or is there a time later today after which we should hold off)? 

I have not made any specific recommendation other than what I said above, please use your best judgement. We will have another statement later.

Is that only because the attack might start earlier than promised?

Of course it could.

Any estimate of when we should expect "another statement later"?  Before or after the alleged start time of the attack?

I don't have an estimate at this time

Other than mining (preferably solo) and running bitmonerod, is there anything else that regular Monero users can do in the immediate future to help defend against the expected attack tomorrow, or allow faster repair of the damage if any?

If there is evidence of an attack or even when an attack seems likely the best thing to do is simply not engage in transactions. The old part of the blockchain will be fine regardless.

We don't find credible the claim of an attack against private keys (see mathematical analysis posted here). Of course we could be wrong, but we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it. No one can guarantee zero risk, but we believe this risk is very low.

You don't need to personally back up your blockchain, if there is an kind of attack against it there will be an update that will recover it just as there was with the last attack, which was likely far more sophisticated in terms of technical knowledge required than anything BCX has in mind, but that is just my guess. It can't hurt though.

Don't panic (ever). Wait for further updates.

Thanks, are you recommending to refrain from any transactions even now, many hours before the alleged start time of the attack (or is there a time later today after which we should hold off)? 

I have not made any specific recommendation other than what I said above, please use your best judgement. We will have another statement later.

Is that only because the attack might start earlier than promised?

Of course it could.

Any estimate of when we should expect "another statement later"?  Before or after the alleged start time of the attack?

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
Seems I missed the setup of this MEW while I was on holiday.

Sounds interesting.

Jump to: