Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2017. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
hey guys

I finally manned up and decided to try the command line style wallet instead of waiting for the gui

i am having trouble syncing though. The blockchain i downloaded was from today, posted by a gentlemen a few posts back, it was like 143 mb. My machine is telling me it is a VLC media file? I tried renaming it blockchain.bin but the machine still is saying it is a vlc media file.

I tried putting it in the roaming folder and the folder where the simplewallet is at but neither of that seemed to work.

Also, would someone mind explaining to me what a "daemon" is or what it does? How is that different from the wallet? Do you have to have the daemon and the wallet both open in separate command line boxes in order to send coins?

Thanks for the help, can't wait till the gui wallet is avaliable...toring coins on the exchange for now because I am afraid of messing up and losing my coins

What operating system is this?

The uploader of that blockchain didn't specify the OS or 32-bit v. 64-bit so I'm not sure what it corresponds to. These are not cross-compatible. Download the blockchain that you need from the main post. Don't worry about the VLC thing, keep the name "blockchain" and the file type ".bin" just as you downloaded it.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
hey guys

I finally manned up and decided to try the command line style wallet instead of waiting for the gui

i am having trouble syncing though. The blockchain i downloaded was from today, posted by a gentlemen a few posts back, it was like 143 mb. My machine is telling me it is a VLC media file? I tried renaming it blockchain.bin but the machine still is saying it is a vlc media file.

I tried putting it in the roaming folder and the folder where the simplewallet is at but neither of that seemed to work.

Also, would someone mind explaining to me what a "daemon" is or what it does? How is that different from the wallet? Do you have to have the daemon and the wallet both open in separate command line boxes in order to send coins?

Thanks for the help, can't wait till the gui wallet is avaliable...toring coins on the exchange for now because I am afraid of messing up and losing my coins

If you cant get the blockchain download to work, just start the daemon without it and wait several hours for it to sync. It will still work, the blockchain download is just a short cut.

The daemon is the core of the program. You run it in the background (another window) and then the wallet is another program you use, which connects to the daemon to function. In bitcoind, the wallet and daemon are in the same program but they are actually separate functions and somewhat separate pieces of code (being broken up more in latest versions). With this coin they are actually separate programs.

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
hey guys

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
If your already at 99% then no, you wont get more.
99% is for one thread!

With bitmonerod or simpleminer, my computer is at 798% (because I have 8 threads). CPUminer is much better, I have "only" 323%. In both case 100% is not the max.
Activity: 616
Mining Monero is like waiting for a bus. None for ages, then along come three! Go extremepool.org Smiley

yeah, it's really something different than scrypt pool mining.

i went the route and bought some, now to figure out how to withdraw and stuff..

edit: does anyone have experience with cryptonote.exchange.to? why does it say my withdrawl is pending approval?
Withdraws are manual - at least one time per 24 hours and probably 2-3 times per 24 hours. 

hey, thanks. i contacted support and they said the same. minutes later it got executed.

all i need now is the transaction id to see if it actually arrived in my wallet.

i'm mining at the same time and "refresh" showed 2 seperate ids. i guess one from the pool and one from the exchange.

Regarding the first question, are you sure you are using the updated simpleminer.exe? Also, is your single core hyperthreaded? If so, you could run two instances of simpleminer.
I'm pretty sure I am on the latest binaries, but I have not tried running a second instance of the miner. My CPU usage is already 99% with the single instance. Am I really going to get more hashing with another instance?

Thanks for your input.

I need 2 threads per core to get to 100%.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Mining Monero is like waiting for a bus. None for ages, then along come three! Go extremepool.org Smiley

edit: does anyone have experience with cryptonote.exchange.to? why does it say my withdrawl is pending approval?
Withdraws are manual - at least one time per 24 hours and probably 2-3 times per 24 hours. 
Activity: 68
Merit: 10

Regarding the first question, are you sure you are using the updated simpleminer.exe? Also, is your single core hyperthreaded? If so, you could run two instances of simpleminer.
I'm pretty sure I am on the latest binaries, but I have not tried running a second instance of the miner. My CPU usage is already 99% with the single instance. Am I really going to get more hashing with another instance?

Thanks for your input.

Activity: 450
legendary
I edited and asked you in the other thread but you may not saw that. Did you recompiled cpuminer today? Cause it has many changes from yesterday.
Quick recompiling:

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential automake libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config && cd ~/monero && rm -rf cpuminer && mkdir cpuminer && cd cpuminer && git clone http://github.com/Lucasjones/cpuminer-multi.git && pushd cpuminer-multi && ./autogen.sh && export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native" && ./configure && make && unset CFLAGS && popd

I know there is a faster way to recompile from github, but I don't know it

change make to make -j number of threads on your computer

That will go much faster.

am I really seeing this? it made almost 2x faster (by the pool) or maybe I had made a previous mistake  Shocked

What I posted doesn't make the miner any faster, just compiling it.

The cpuminer guy has been incorporating multiple optimizations (some from NoodleDoodle, some of his own) so it isn't surprising that his miner is getting faster too.
legendary
I edited and asked you in the other thread but you may not saw that. Did you recompiled cpuminer today? Cause it has many changes from yesterday.
Quick recompiling:

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential automake libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config && cd ~/monero && rm -rf cpuminer && mkdir cpuminer && cd cpuminer && git clone http://github.com/Lucasjones/cpuminer-multi.git && pushd cpuminer-multi && ./autogen.sh && export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native" && ./configure && make && unset CFLAGS && popd

change make to make -j number of threads on your computer

That will go much faster.
Activity: 64
Is there any working combination of a pool and a multi-threaded miner on linux?

I am trying to use LucasJones/cpuminer-multi.

With moneropool.org or extremepool, it does not work at all. Sometimes it works for a while, sometimes I get rejects (booos) only (for long period). When I get booos, it reports share diff=0...

With moneropool.com it seems to work and there are no rejects. But something is wrong with share diff adjustments, as I get less and less found shares and the hashrate reported on the pool keeps decreasing.

Replied there. Yes, I have fresh version.

The second issue (moneropool.com diff retargeting) seems to be related to this issue in the pool code:
https://github.com/zone117x/node-cryptonote-pool/issues/5
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
Quick recompiling:

i learned today thanks to IRC Smiley

cd cpuminer-multi

git fetch

git pull

./autogen.sh

./configure CFLAGS="-O3"

make

and its ready Smiley
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Quick recompiling:

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org

With moneropool.org or extremepool, it does not work at all. Sometimes it works for a while, sometimes I get rejects (booos) only (for long period). When I get booos, it reports share diff=0...

With moneropool.com it seems to work and there are no rejects. But something is wrong with share diff adjustments, as I get less and less found shares and the hashrate reported on the pool keeps decreasing.

Activity: 64

"Trading Platform of The Future!"
If you mine with moneropool.org, please point your miners to the subdomains mine.moneropool.org or pool.moneropool.org instead of moneropool.org or www.moneropool.org. In ~24 hours mining on moneropool.org and www.moneropool.org will not work as those subdomains will be web servers only.
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
where can I look to see how many monero were given for a particular block?
monerochain.info
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
where can I look to see how many monero were given for a particular block?
Jump to: