Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2021. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"

Yes, it's updated. Those are the Google Drive mirrors I was referring to. You should restrict usage of them because Google will shut it down if it sees high traffic (i.e. don't tell your pool to go download from them).
Then why does monero.cc tell everyone to go download from them?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Trying the updated files now.

WOuld it be a good idea to call 2 threads per core?

You need to test it on your hardware. There is going to be dependence on things like cache size and model.

We probably want a monero mining hardware comparison page with tested/recommended settings for each type of hardware. There was one for bytecoin but it was pretty old and incomplete.

Merit: 500

Yes, it's updated. Those are the Google Drive mirrors I was referring to. You should restrict usage of them because Google will shut it down if it sees high traffic (i.e. don't tell your pool to go download from them).
legendary
New source (0.8.8.1) is up with optimizations in the hashing. Hashrate should go up ~4x or so, but may have CPU architecture dependence. Windows binaries are up as well for both 64-bit and 32-bit.

Do you know if the optimizations are in bitmonerod or in simpleminer or both?  Just trying to figure out if this will help pool mining via simpleminer or solo with bitmonerod.

Thanks

Both.

Fantastic work NoodleDoodle. Compiling and testing it now.

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
New source (0.8.8.1) is up with optimizations in the hashing. Hashrate should go up ~4x or so, but may have CPU architecture dependence. Windows binaries are up as well for both 64-bit and 32-bit.

Do you know if the optimizations are in bitmonerod or in simpleminer or both?  Just trying to figure out if this will help pool mining via simpleminer or solo with bitmonerod.

Thanks
Activity: 616
Trying the updated files now.

WOuld it be a good idea to call 2 threads per core?
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
Activity: 146
Merit: 100

Well, that helped, now getting 160 hashes per second total from my few computers. Up from like 30-40.  I own the blockchain.

Please upload files, somewhere else.

There are Google Drive mirrors for all of these linked in the OP. They should not be used unless mega.co.nz doesn't work for you (due to bandwidth limitations).
Activity: 168

Please upload files, somewhere else.
And the pools report last block found on network "about a minute ago", yet the pools themselves find nothing for hours or days. I have 5 CPU's mining with 95 H/s. What kind of setup is making up the rest of the hashing power? Maybe someone has sorted themselves out with a working GPU miner...

I figure its either:

• A 20-30000 computer bot-net
  • Someone developed a gpu miner on the quiet
  • The pools are all reporting the wrong network data (I hope its this - but the rate of discovery of blocks by pools would suggest otherwise)

Is there a bounty for a GPU miner?

It's not a botnet. Its an admin with a lot of servers. So its someone who has invested a lot of money and hast costs to cover. I dont know if you guys realise but there wasnt a cryptocoin as exciting since Bitcoin. Thus, this project attracted a lot of people with CPU farms,  many Hero members and people with the skills to optimise code. What do you think would have happened if people had this awareness about crypto in 2009 ? People would have invested big money into mining. This is what is happening. I suggest that if you can't mine, or if you cant mine as much as you would like, buy and buy fast before you regret it.

Even with this explanation, I feel that something is not right. I get the feeling that someone is taking all the blocks...

I have a strong feeling the cudaminer guys already have a working but non optimised gpu miner. Asked on their thread and got a hint-ish response so..
Bittrex tweet says they would like assistance from a dev to add cryptonote coins. Someone should get in touch

Yeah, Bittrex would be a very very good addition. They're also very responsive and fast to add.
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
how much time to sync without the blockchain? I cant realize where to put the chain in order for the wallet to use it. srsly.

long time.

are you on windows 7 or 8? If so, it goes here: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Bitmonero\blockchain.bin

thank you very much, it synched alright, but now when I open my wallet.bin it says it couldnt connect to daemon host:8080 w/e ....

Can you provide more details of what you are doing, what platform, commands etc.  You error message refers to a different port from when I try to start wallet without daemon running:

F:\>simplewallet.exe --wallet-file wallet.bin
bitmonero wallet v0.8.6.295(0.1-g7620d55)
password: ********************
Opened wallet: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Error: wallet failed to connect to daemon (http://localhost:18081). Daemon either is not started or passed wrong port. P
lease, make sure that daemon is running or restart the wallet with correct daemon address.
Use "help" command to see the list of available commands.
[wallet xxxxxxx]:

I am running simplewallet.exe, input wallet.bin(the name), then password, and then it shows error:failed to connect to daemon(localhost:18081) etc. I have windows 7 64bit, and I have created the original bat in the OP and synched correctly with blockchain(or at least it seems so)

I'm not sure about the .bat recommended in the OP but you don't need it, you can just run the two separate commands manually in two command windows.

The wallet is only important to get an address to send coins to, once you have the address you don't need to have the wallet running when mining, only to check your balance occasionally. The mining can be done with simpleminer.exe, or with bitminerod.exe.  I use bitminerod.exe.  Here is what my startup command looks like

bitmonerod --start-mining $$$$$$$$$$ --log-level 0 --mining-threads 7

The key is shown as $$$$$$$$$$ and is much longer, but I shortened it to show the command on one line.

Even if your wallet does not connect, I think you can still get the address. The easiest way is to get it from address.txt which it should create on first startup in the same directory as your wallet.bin. If not then just run bitmonerod and leave it running on one command window, then start the wallet in another command window.

Once mining starts it should report on the sync and produce some output like this:

Use "help" command to see the list of available commands.
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 Miner thread was started [ 0]
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 Miner thread was started [2]
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 Miner thread was started [5]
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 Miner thread was started [1]
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 Miner thread was started [3]
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 [P2P8]Mining has started with 7 threads, good luck!
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 Miner thread was started [4]
2014-May-18 09:07:32.762925 Miner thread was started [6]
Activity: 450
Bittrex tweet says they would like assistance from a dev to add cryptonote coins. Someone should get in touch
Activity: 146
So, is there a better miner, On my 6 core amd, it's getting at most like 11 Hashes. I'm currently mining with the cryptonote miner program, that is recommended by moneropool.org. Thanks.  5 threads.
Activity: 308
Moneropool.org

[2014-05-18 01:22:37] Authenticating and retrying..
[2014-05-18 01:22:37] Auth id: 601461168937385
[2014-05-18 01:22:38] Authenticating and retrying..
[2014-05-18 01:22:39] Auth id: 954072647145949
[2014-05-18 01:22:40] Authenticating and retrying..
[2014-05-18 01:22:40] Auth id: 954197537712752
[2014-05-18 01:22:41] Authenticating and retrying..
[2014-05-18 01:22:41] Auth id: 833840621216222
[2014-05-18 01:22:43] Authenticating and retrying..
[2014-05-18 01:22:43] Auth id: 777870268956758
[2014-05-18 01:22:44] Failed to call rpc command after 5 tries
[2014-05-18 01:22:44] getwork failed, retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-18 01:22:46] Long-polling activated for http://198.199.79.100:5555/
legendary
According to the pool stats I'm putting out 39H/s.. but the concern is the network hash rate is huge.. 572KH/s.

Moneropool.org says 1.75 .. down from 2.x this morning..

moneropool.org is up to 2KHs, (average of 26Hs per user).  But that's still only 0.3% of the reported network rate of 575Khs.  

So either a large botnet is mining, or someone's sitting quietly on a much more efficient miner and raking in MRO.

And the pools report last block found on network "about a minute ago", yet the pools themselves find nothing for hours or days. I have 5 CPU's mining with 95 H/s. What kind of setup is making up the rest of the hashing power? Maybe someone has sorted themselves out with a working GPU miner...

What is the total hash rate for these pools? It isn't hard to figure out how often they should expect to get blocks, so it is silly to make these statement without numbers to back it up.

I wouldn't rule out bugs in the pool software and/or pool deployments and/or pool mining clients. They are all very new.

Let's look at some numbers and see if there is really any there there.

Activity: 1034

I figure its either:

• A 20-30000 computer bot-net
  • Someone developed a gpu miner on the quiet
  • The pools are all reporting the wrong network data (I hope its this - but the rate of discovery of blocks by pools would suggest otherwise)

Is there a bounty for a GPU miner?

It's not a botnet. Its an admin with a lot of servers. So its someone who has invested a lot of money and hast costs to cover. I dont know if you guys realise but there wasnt a cryptocoin as exciting since Bitcoin. Thus, this project attracted a lot of people with CPU farms,  many Hero members and people with the skills to optimise code. What do you think would have happened if people had this awareness about crypto in 2009 ? People would have invested big money into mining. This is what is happening. I suggest that if you can't mine, or if you cant mine as much as you would like, buy and buy fast before you regret it.

Even with this explanation, I feel that something is not right. I get the feeling that someone is taking all the blocks...
Activity: 308
Jump to: