Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2085. (Read 4669824 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
When will this coin be on the exchange?

Is this enough "exchange-like" ? Wink

Its not really the same though is it, Ive been trying to buy since 0.000360.

Somebody was clearly buying, right? Because there were trades. You just weren't bidding aggressively enough, and other people were. I felt I was doing well selling "above market" at 80, now I feel stupid. Whoever it was who bought from me did well.

Activity: 616
Merit: 251

Gotta keep up =P

What has that got to do with the conversation, someone asked when will it be on an exchange, this was answered with a suggestion that the exchange thread was exchange like which it isnt.

Well you mentioned trying to buy it for a while constantly, so yeah it has to do with part of the convo..shit

Roll Eyes
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Gotta keep up =P

What has that got to do with the conversation, someone asked when will it be on an exchange, this was answered with a suggestion that the exchange thread was exchange like which it isnt.

Gotta keep up =P

legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
Which file in the source code contains the proof-of-work algorithm?

I've tried to locate it and can't seem to find it quickly.

I want to analyze the cpu-only claim.

src/crypto/slow-hash.c

On quick glance, I see AES code. Is this the MemoryCoin algorithm and not the one described in the CryptoNote whitepaper which is memory latency bound?

I do not think it is the memorycoin algorithm.

Analyzed it.

It is employing AES as another means of defeating GPUs (in addition to the memory latency bound), similar to MemoryCoin.

https://cryptonote.org/inside.php#equal-proof-of-work

3. GPUs may run hundreds of concurrent instances, but they are limited in other ways

See prior analysis of that strategy, which concluded that GPUs would be 2.5 to 3X faster but would perform no better in hashes per Watt:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3976656

I pointed out that ASICs would implement AES much more efficiently:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3977088

Here follows my conclusions.

• slow and thus DDoS prevention will be hampered, which will also likely eliminate any chance of supporting 0 transaction fees
  • roughly both memory latency and computation bound (instead of the ideal of being only latency bound), thus if Tilera CPUs or GPUs add dedicated AES support or if ASICs are mated to large fast SDRAM caches, the cpu-only claim will fail.
  • it is not leveraging hyperthreads

In short, it is too computation heavy, not maximizing the CPU's hyperthreads, and thus not only will it not be the best cpu-only PoW algorithm possible, it will also fail to be remain cpu-only if it becomes widely adopted.

Also being computation heavy, it is consuming more electricity than the ideal cpu-only PoW algorithm.
legendary
What is the current total coin count?

Somewhere around 460k
What is the current total coin count?
legendary

src/crypto/slow-hash.c

On quick glance, I see AES code. Is this the MemoryCoin algorithm and not the one described in the CryptoNote whitepaper which is memory latency bound?

I do not think it is the memorycoin algorithm.

src/crypto/slow-hash.c

Activity: 794
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
The bit about needing the block chain on each mining rig is rather stupid as well -- no other coin I can think of requires the block chain to mine it; you only need the miner software.
When you are mining for a pool it gives you the work so you don't need the block chain. If you are solo mining it's logical to have the block chain you are mining on. Just a thought - I never researched it.
legendary

src/crypto/slow-hash.c

legendary
Can you do that "getinfo" with curl on Windows, or is that Linux only? (I'm guessing Linux only. *Sigh*)

I'm sure there is a Windows version, but you can just use your browser.

localhost:18081/getinfo or http://127.0.0.1:18081/getinfo if the first doesn't work

Also, I assume these are orphan blocks?
Code:
-------------------------
2014-May-05 22:26:34.698916 [P2P0]----- BLOCK ADDED AS ALTERNATIVE ON HEIGHT 26907
id:    
PoW:    <5a8efa15ae51b87d079ce13112ae68683345d7dbd3f37c29b7a7a716d8050000>
difficulty:     2842603
If so, that sort of sucks that I've seen six of those on my rigs so far. Seriously, six orphans and not a single successfully mined block? My luck is bad so far.

They're not your orphans necessarily. Unless it says "found block" you didn't find a block, orphan or otherwise.

Activity: 482
Merit: 500
Have a total of 350~ hash rate among miners, been a few horus but hope i get something.

Ill be switching everything to monero today. ^_^
It's a huge hashrate! You definitely will get something!
Again, is there a calculator somewhere, or a place to see the network hash rate for MRO? It would be helpful to at least be able to provide people with some sort of estimate.

You can get the network hash rate with curl

Code:
$ curl localhost:18081/getinfo
{
  "alt_blocks_count": 221,
  "difficulty": 2831759,
  "grey_peerlist_size": 436,
  "height": 26970,
  "incoming_connections_count": 5,
  "outgoing_connections_count": 12,
  "status": "OK",
  "tx_count": 964,
  "tx_pool_size": 0,
  "white_peerlist_size": 224
}
Divide the difficulty by 60 to get total hash rate. So for this number we get 47196. Divide your hash rate by that to get your share of the network hash rate.  For example 350 is 0.74% of the network. There are 1440 blocks per day so someone with this hash rate should get 10.656 blocks per day on average.
Can you do that "getinfo" with curl on Windows, or is that Linux only? (I'm guessing Linux only. *Sigh*) Also, I assume these are orphan blocks?
Code:
2014-May-05 22:26:34.698916 [P2P0]----- BLOCK ADDED AS ALTERNATIVE ON HEIGHT 26907
id:     
PoW:    <5a8efa15ae51b87d079ce13112ae68683345d7dbd3f37c29b7a7a716d8050000>
difficulty:     2842603
If so, that sort of sucks that I've seen six of those on my rigs so far. Seriously, six orphans and not a single successfully mined block? My luck is bad so far.
legendary
Have a total of 350~ hash rate among miners, been a few horus but hope i get something.

Again, is there a calculator somewhere, or a place to see the network hash rate for MRO? It would be helpful to at least be able to provide people with some sort of estimate.

You can get the network hash rate with curl

Code:
$ curl localhost:18081/getinfo
{
  "alt_blocks_count": 221,
  "difficulty": 2831759,
  "grey_peerlist_size": 436,
  "height": 26970,
  "incoming_connections_count": 5,
  "outgoing_connections_count": 12,
  "status": "OK",
  "tx_count": 964,
  "tx_pool_size": 0,
  "white_peerlist_size": 224
}

Divide the difficulty by 60 to get total hash rate. So for this number we get 47196. Divide your hash rate by that to get your share of the network hash rate.  For example 350 is 0.74% of the network. There are 1440 blocks per day so someone with this hash rate should get 10.656 blocks per day on average.

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

Jump to: