Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2081. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10
Yesn sale coin but for historical reason, the dev doesn't accept the changing of the name.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
We need a pool , can someone set up one for us?

Pool is being developed: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bounty-for-open-source-bytecoinmonero-pool-589533

Contribute to the bounty to encourage the developer to finish it.

legendary
From forum.cryptonote.org:
Quote from: Catherine_Erwin
We really appreciate your interest in CryptoNote and your urge to create something worthwhile.

However, we've been following Bitcointalk discussion of Bitmonero/Monero and we're still undecided whether adding this coin as a CryptoNote implementation would be a proper decision at this time. It took us almost a weak to reach a consensus among the team, so we apologize for the delay. We do believe that the time will come for you to be added, but at the moment there is a couple of questions for you to think about:

1) If CryptoNote supports new technologies and the advent of new technological era, what is the contribution of this coin? How does it make CryptoNote technology prosper? What is that you have created?

2) Why does this coin have 2 websites, 2 official threads, 2 announcements, 2 reps? Was it worthwhile after all to use someone else's work and try to take over the control afterwards and split the community?

As you can see, for example, HoneyPenny coin in another thread on this forum proposes new ideas for the technology. Moreover, they were contacting us before the launch.

We do wish to see more CryptoNote-based coins, but hope that their creators would be more in line with our vision and keep their personal ambitions and greed low.

Please, correct me if we've got anything wrong.
That bolded statement is rich.

Yes, next time we should 80% premine instead. That might meet with their approval.

legendary
I am either extremly unlucky or doing something wrong, been mining with around 50 for 3 days now and didnt find any block, i posted my mine.bat earlier
start /MIN bitmonerod.exe --data-dir blockchain\ --start-mining 44RkMyLBEktES1nKJuYbMRUmMQdt2nUdvinafxo3zKNaZKFJeRDDf6cNL2H4hJkRc9SsGLihoMAfEAu 8TPiDHziRUk1DfF6 --mining-threads 7

CPU usage is up, blockchain is synced but wallet refresh balance is still 0, dang -.-

Only slightly unlucky. At current difficulty with a hash rate of 50 you should get a block every two days.

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
From forum.cryptonote.org:
Quote from: Catherine_Erwin
We really appreciate your interest in CryptoNote and your urge to create something worthwhile.

However, we've been following Bitcointalk discussion of Bitmonero/Monero and we're still undecided whether adding this coin as a CryptoNote implementation would be a proper decision at this time. It took us almost a weak to reach a consensus among the team, so we apologize for the delay. We do believe that the time will come for you to be added, but at the moment there is a couple of questions for you to think about:

1) If CryptoNote supports new technologies and the advent of new technological era, what is the contribution of this coin? How does it make CryptoNote technology prosper? What is that you have created?

2) Why does this coin have 2 websites, 2 official threads, 2 announcements, 2 reps? Was it worthwhile after all to use someone else's work and try to take over the control afterwards and split the community?

As you can see, for example, HoneyPenny coin in another thread on this forum proposes new ideas for the technology. Moreover, they were contacting us before the launch.

We do wish to see more CryptoNote-based coins, but hope that their creators would be more in line with our vision and keep their personal ambitions and greed low.

Please, correct me if we've got anything wrong.
That bolded statement is rich.
legendary
this is my favorite alt coin, but have no idea if actually trying to mine it  Cry

in windoes how do u check if actually mining it properly?

(been mining for days and found nothing)

Do show_hr in the daemon window. If it tells you a hash rate (somewhere 10-20 for most computers) then you are mining.

Do hide_hr to make it stop displaying the hash rate (you will still be mining)

legendary
Is there a way to recover a wallet if the key/address files are intact ?

For some reason my linux wallet has a size of 0 right now (i did lose a couple of ssh sessions and forcefully killed the simplewallet process).

It should recover from just the key file if you move the data file out of the way.

I have seen an issue with not tracking unspent outputs correctly but you should still be able to recover your coins and move them to a new wallet, or it may even work 100% correctly. I think it is intended to work.
Activity: 153
Merit: 107
I followed the beautiful updates in Russian thread. It is good decision to cut-off Mining guide into other post from main topic. Smart move!
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
this is my favorite alt coin, but have no idea if actually trying to mine it  Cry

in windoes how do u check if actually mining it properly?

(been mining for days and found nothing)
Activity: 37
Merit: 0

Cool! Looks great! Grin

Can you update the OP to include the link to the monero.cc website? Looks like it's missing.

Also on the monero.cc website, in the gettting started instructions for Linux, it still says git clone git://github.com/bitmonero-project/bitmonero.git. That should be changed to git clone git://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero.git so that people will get the latest version of the code. Basically, change bitmonero-project to monero-project. That was a subtle gotcha that briefly confused me yesterday.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
I never hashed for this...
Having same problem as pastebin.com/wYJYPxVL‎ to compile it on Debian. Any hint?
Activity: 266
We need a pool , can someone set up one for us?
Activity: 3
Is there a way to recover a wallet if the key/address files are intact ?

For some reason my linux wallet has a size of 0 right now (i did lose a couple of ssh sessions and forcefully killed the simplewallet process).
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Stagnation is Death
I am either extremly unlucky or doing something wrong, been mining with around 50 for 3 days now and didnt find any block, i posted my mine.bat earlier
start /MIN bitmonerod.exe --data-dir blockchain\ --start-mining 44RkMyLBEktES1nKJuYbMRUmMQdt2nUdvinafxo3zKNaZKFJeRDDf6cNL2H4hJkRc9SsGLihoMAfEAu 8TPiDHziRUk1DfF6 --mining-threads 7

CPU usage is up, blockchain is synced but wallet refresh balance is still 0, dang -.-

If you find a block, it should say found block for difficulty : xxxxxxxxx in the daemon. Type set_log 1 in deamon for more details
Sy
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003
Bounty Detective

Merit: 500
Reposting the mining guide here to clear up the OP and link to this.

Linux tutorial

You will need to open two terminals. The current implementation separates the wallet and daemon to make cloud mining easier.

First, you must compile the binaries.  Run these commands in the location you want to install to:

Code:
git clone git://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero.git
cd bitmonero
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev cmake
make -j4

The source will take a little while to compile.  After it is done, in this terminal, type these commands:

Code:
cd build/release/src
./bitmonerod

Let it sync. Don't close (once the daemon is active, you can use show_hr to get your hashrate or set_log 1/2/3 to change the verbosity of the logs). If you close the daemon whilst you are mining, mining will stop (obviously) and if you open the daemon again the mining won't resume (you must use the start_mining command on the wallet for that).

Now, open a second terminal.

On terminal 2, navigate to the same location and type these commands:

Code:
cd bitmonero/build/release/src
./simplewallet --generate-new-wallet=name_of_my_wallet.bin

You will be prompted for a password. Be careful: you won't have to type a confirmation so beware of typos!
Close the wallet with the "exit" command.

Now type this command:

Code:
./simplewallet --wallet-file=name_of_my_wallet.bin

and enter your password. If you forgot your password or mistyped it at creation time, delete every file starting with name_of_my_wallet.bin and start over. Every MRO would be lost forever, so it's important that you do it just after the creation, before any mining.  ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR WALLET.

Go down to the mining section to get started. You can type help in both the daemon and simplewallet to see more commands.  If you'd like to see blocks as the come into the network, simply type "set_log 1" in the daemon (terminal 1).

Good luck and happy mining!

Windows tutorial

You can use the command line as above. You can also use the batch file shown below. Paste the text into notepad and save it as a .bat file. Note that you can change the name of your wallet file if you want (it's wallet.bin here). Double click the .bat file then go down to mining after waiting for terminal 1 to sync.

Code:
@echo off

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq bitmonerod.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "bitmonerod.exe">NUL
if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  echo Starting node...
  start /MIN bitmonerod.exe
) else (
  echo Node already started.
)

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq simplewallet.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "simplewallet.exe">NUL
if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  if exist wallet.bin.keys (
    echo Starting previous wallet...
    start simplewallet.exe --wallet wallet.bin
  ) else (
    echo Starting new wallet...
    start simplewallet.exe --generate-new-wallet wallet.bin
  )
) else (
  echo Wallet already started.
)

Mining

And now the good stuff: mining!
Since the wallet can command the daemon (miner), enter this in the wallet (terminal 2):

Code:
start_mining

To get your number of threads, use nproc on Linux, sysctl -n hw.ncpu on Mac, and WMIC CPU Get DeviceID,NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors on Windows. Or course, you don't have to use all your threads (especially if you are using your computer for something else such as simultaneous GPU mining).

You can mine to a specific address by typing this in the daemon (terminal 1, not the wallet terminal):

Code:
start_mining

By the way: if you want to know your hashrate, type show_hr in the daemon. And if you want to change the amount of information in the daemon, use set_log 1 (least info) to set_log 3 (max info).

How can you know that you are actually mining? Check you CPU usage :-) If it's less than 80%, chances are you are not mining.

I hope this tutorial will prove useful.

Address for tips to author David Latapie:
Code:
46ctfLBhgyzJm61oTtDfu9GbVhG7ito4fNiQjdZcB5bL3mz5ejQrPD29uEkDHFzCVTHGFqAdG456w6ivYp7K23SiGREUiQe
So, not sure. I did push the 32-bit update the other day, it could be a botnet.

Where is this 32-bit update located? Would like to try it.

tacotime, where is this 32-bit update located?

It doesn't exist yet. Officially, Bytecoin's latest updates should have been able to run on 32-bit. But right now it doesn't seem to be able to mine. The MRO code changes were merged from Bytecoin so it doesn't work either. Noodle is still trying to figure it out and it's possible Bytecoin needs further fixes.
Activity: 221
Merit: 100
So, not sure. I did push the 32-bit update the other day, it could be a botnet.

Where is this 32-bit update located? Would like to try it.

tacotime, where is this 32-bit update located?

legendary
We're all hip and stuff now:

Jump to: