Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 647. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000
Has there been discussion on adding "fungible" as a fourth pillar of Monero (secure, private, untraceable, fungible)? True fungibility is a valuable property of Monero that BTC lacks. For those of us who have been with Monero for a long time, this is not news to you, but Monero is attracting more attention and I think it would benefit from showcasing its fungibility property and why it's so important/valuable (no coins can be blacklisted, blocked, etc.).

I think it's a key property that many don't know about, and they don't know about it because it's not showcased like the other properties/pillars. I think it would only benefit XMR to showcase this property. Has this topic been discussed?

Good idea, I see untraceable is a property of fungibility and it is becoming more mainstream as the masses start to comprehend the differences of various coins. There are no other coins that are 100% fungible besides cryptonote. Therefore I would vote to replace rather than add.

I see your point. In keeping with the 3 pillars, I added the bold green text to the text of the 3 pillars. The text comes from the Monero home page https://getmonero.org/home . What do you think? (Just so everyone knows, I'm not a XMR dev, just a fan/user sharing some of my thoughts).

SECURE
Using the power of a distributed, fully decentralized, peer-to-peer consensus network, every transaction is cryptographically secured. Individual accounts have a 25 word mnemonic seed displayed when created, which can be written down to back up the account. Account files are encrypted with a passphrase to ensure they are worthless if stolen.

PRIVATE
Monero uses a cryptographically sound system that allows you to send and receive funds without your transactions being publicly visible on the blockchain (the distributed ledger of transactions). This ensures that your purchases, receipts, and other transfers remain private by default. [nothing added]

UNTRACEABLE
By taking advantage of ring signatures, a special property of certain types of cryptography, Monero enables untraceable transactions. This means it's ambiguous which funds have been spent, and thus extremely unlikely that a transaction could be linked to particular user. Monero is also completely fungible, and this means that coins can't be blacklisted or blocked.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
It isn't quite one click atm, you have to put it in a folder with your own simplewallet binary, so at least several clicks.

But I guess someone could package them together to make it 1-click. I can do it for windows and host it on the nodebox.link site, but thats ultimately moot because peeps will be all "its not official so its gonna eat my chocolate" , which is understandable.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
I have some quick notes up for the dev meeting today..

https://hellomonero.com/article/monero-weekly-dev-meeting-notes-2016-03-05

I love to learn and will try to observe some dev IRC meetings in the future when I have more time. Thanks for the summary.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

I have seen a lot of new XMR related websites launch recently. The currency is becoming more decentralized.

Nice coverage of Monero News.

Also interesting that pie is preferred over cake by about 2 to 1
Activity: 283
Secuntraceable Privungible !

edit, just read this. Aminorex and me are similar minded
Untrinklacable prifungibilacy.  It's got rhythm.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Well it would be nice if the team or somebody else can develop an user friendly 1 click wallet right? Would also gain more people and attention...

There is also a simple web wallet I see, is it safe option as well?

It's from fluffypony, who is a core-team member, thus considered safe as in trustworthy. However, one should always be cautious with using webwallets.

More specifically there have been successful thefts. Fluffypony explicitly recommends not storing too large an amount there, and instead using it for convenient access to smaller amounts.

Is there a thread or such detailing that?

This one for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/491gbj/i_lost_some_monero_that_i_had_on_mymonerocom/d0ocdpm

But like fluffypony explains in the comments, it is not the webwallet itself but all the (potentially weak) links between (and including) the users computer and the server (the ISP, the VPN provider, TOR exit nodes, CloudFlare, etc). So only use it for pocket change, like your 'real' wallet.

+992983741982371023

I'm in the process of making that a little more clear on the wallet creation page, since I fear for people using it as a form of cold storage. Every time they login they risk their funds getting swiped:/

OK after reading this I'm moving what I have. I tried last week while you were at the conference but was getting a multitude of server errors. Did you receive my PM and read my post? Until you verify the site is fixed It would be foolish for me to try to withdraw.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Has there been discussion on adding "fungible" as a fourth pillar of Monero (secure, private, untraceable, fungible)? True fungibility is a valuable property of Monero that BTC lacks. For those of us who have been with Monero for a long time, this is not news to you, but Monero is attracting more attention and I think it would benefit from showcasing its fungibility property and why it's so important/valuable (no coins can be blacklisted, blocked, etc.).

I think it's a key property that many don't know about, and they don't know about it because it's not showcased like the other properties/pillars. I think it would only benefit XMR to showcase this property. Has this topic been discussed?

Good idea, I see untraceable is a property of fungibility and it is becoming more mainstream as the masses start to comprehend the differences of various coins. There are no other coins that are 100% fungible besides cryptonote. Therefore I would vote to replace rather than add.
Activity: 336

I have seen a lot of new XMR related websites launch recently. The currency is becoming more decentralized.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Well it would be nice if the team or somebody else can develop an user friendly 1 click wallet right? Would also gain more people and attention...

It's from fluffypony, who is a core-team member, thus considered safe as in trustworthy. However, one should always be cautious with using webwallets.

More specifically there have been successful thefts. Fluffypony explicitly recommends not storing too large an amount there, and instead using it for convenient access to smaller amounts.

This one for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/491gbj/i_lost_some_monero_that_i_had_on_mymonerocom/d0ocdpm

But like fluffypony explains in the comments, it is not the webwallet itself but all the (potentially weak) links between (and including) the users computer and the server (the ISP, the VPN provider, TOR exit nodes, CloudFlare, etc). So only use it for pocket change, like your 'real' wallet.

+992983741982371023

I'm in the process of making that a little more clear on the wallet creation page, since I fear for people using it as a form of cold storage. Every time they login they risk their funds getting swiped:/
legendary
Activity: 2242
Merit: 3523
Flippin' burgers since 1163.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/491gbj/i_lost_some_monero_that_i_had_on_mymonerocom/
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Untrinklacable prifungibilacy.  It's got rhythm.
Activity: 687
Merit: 500
novag
legendary
Activity: 2242
Merit: 3523
Flippin' burgers since 1163.

I think it was luigi1111 (edit: apparently it was Adam Back in February 2014) mentioning that privacy is a side effect of fungibility. So basically it is already there.

But more I wonder how many people outside the cryptocurrency world know or understand what fungibility is, so how much it would really add. People (at least some) care for privacy.
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Jump to: