Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 717. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
OK, that sums it up well thanks Smiley

Anyway, the connectivity issue im not sure what is the cause, as it was working fine earlier.

I dont have any firewall or anything that could be the cause.

Don't know then, maybe reboot, check antivirus or other stuff that might be blocking it.

I wonder if CPU mining is still profitable?
I believe its now GPU mineable now?

CPU is profitable if your electricity rates are low to moderate and you have a CPU with AES-NI. It is GPU mineable too, but efficiency between CPU and GPU is close to the same. GPU is more scalable since you can buy more cards.

EDIT: noted AES-NI as a requirement for CPU mining to be efficient. Core 2 Quad is too old. It can mine, but not very efficiently.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
This is crap to learn this, why is the transaction fee so high just because i got small payouts?

I dont really understand how this all works. Are my XMR broken into tiny fragments instead of their own unit?

Seems i wasted alot of time mining this if they are unspendable.

Quite honestly if this is a concern, I would just wait it out. If the price of XMR increases then the fees in XMR terms will likely drop and the relative fee to clean up the dust will also drop.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001
OK, that sums it up well thanks Smiley

Anyway, the connectivity issue im not sure what is the cause, as it was working fine earlier.

I dont have any firewall or anything that could be the cause.

I wonder if CPU mining is still profitable?
I believe its now GPU mineable now?

I was getting 20 Kh/s with my Core2 Quad.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
As saddambitcoin explained, the early pool payouts were really not usable. The transaction fee will be extremely high to spend them even with the sweep_dust command.

The only other option is to archive that wallet into cold storage and hope that in the future the value of XMR goes up so much that dust becomes worth more (and tx fees relatively less).

This is crap to learn this, why is the transaction fee so high just because i got small payouts?

I dont really understand how this all works. Are my XMR broken into tiny fragments instead of their own unit?

Seems i wasted a lot of time mining this if they are unspendable.

In first weeks pools were sending pays after they found block so if you gave them 0.1% of hashrate, you got 0.1% of block reward. So unless you were mining with lots CPUs, you were getting tiny amounts of XMR what is not good because, you now have problems spend it ( This part is same as with bitcoin, but i dont have words to explain it. You got small amounts of XMR smaller then are transaction fees)

Latter, pools started sending to smaller miners, their reward only after they mined for 1 XMR or once a week( i forgot the exact number)
legendary
2016-Jan-02 10:46:40.876620 [P2P8]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, contin
uing without seeds

This is some sort of connectivity issue, firewall, DNS config, etc. Your node is not able to connect.

legendary
Yes it is broken into tiny fragments. Instead of waiting until you had 1-2 XMR (or even 0.1 XMR) to pay you, the pool sent you pieces of some tiny amount like 0.004349098706. Each of those fragments now needs to be spent individually. That's how (nearly) every coin works.

This problem was fixed long ago, and most pools have a more reasonable payout threshold now.

The fees are not really high, they are something like 0.005 USD for a small transaction. The problem is that 0.004349098706 is worth like fifth of a USD cent. That is just not economical to process.

legendary
As saddambitcoin explained, the early pool payouts were really not usable. The transaction fee will be extremely high to spend them even with the sweep_dust command.

The only other option is to archive that wallet into cold storage and hope that in the future the value of XMR goes up so much that dust becomes worth more (and tx fees relatively less).

Seems i wasted alot of time mining this if they are unspendable.
legendary
Sweep dust sends all dust outputs back to yourself with mixin 0 - essentially consolidates your dust outputs so that you can spend them.

Because you were pool mining early on, unfortunately you have a lot of dust. Pools have since stopped sending out such small payments.

Ok, there is alot i dont know in this area.

So i my balance is showing 3XMR more than i really have? My current balance is what the mining pool said i had earned so never gave it much thought.

Im also having trouble with the new daemon, ive removed the old blockchain, and started fresh and and this is the errors coming up:

2016-Jan-02 10:46:26.995873 [RPC0]ERROR C:/msys64/DISTRIBUTION-BUILD/src/crypton
ote_core/blockchain.cpp:1614 Ours and foreign blockchain have only genesis block
 in common... o.O
2016-Jan-02 10:46:26.995873 [RPC0]ERROR C:/msys64/DISTRIBUTION-BUILD/src/rpc/cor
e_rpc_server.h:77 Failed to on_get_blocks()
2016-Jan-02 10:46:40.876620 [P2P8]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, contin
uing without seeds
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Ok, that is because the transfer is not being made.

Can you confirm you are sending your transaction with 0 mixin?

If you type "help" and see the "sweep_dust" option you can also try that.

I sent with the recommended level of 3 mixin. I tried sweep_dust and it says its an unknown command.

Not having the sweep_dust command means your version of the wallet is old. You should get the version from github, one of the recent beta builds, or wait for the new release. But like saddambitcoin said, you can just use mixin 0 with the older wallet. The world won't come crashing down because one person used mixin 0.

What exactly is the sweep_dust command supposed to do exactly?
It was going to charge me a fee of 1.5 XMR and then remove 3 XMR from my wallet. I said no.

remove 3 xmr from your wallet? that sounds weird.

basically if you have any dust outputs, this command sweeps them all into a transaction to yourself. Dust outputs are kinda useless, so if you don't sweep them, your wallet probably won't use them to craft a transaction anyway. Alternatively, you could wait until confidential ring transactions whatever is implemented, because maybe dust doesn't have the same effect...

to understand the dust problem and why sweep_dust was necessary, checkout some of the MRL publications... I think this one is MRL 4.

labs.getmonero.org

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Sweep dust sends all dust outputs back to yourself with mixin 0 - essentially consolidates your dust outputs so that you can spend them.

Because you were pool mining early on, unfortunately you have a lot of dust. Pools have since stopped sending out such small payments.

legendary
Ok, that is because the transfer is not being made.

Can you confirm you are sending your transaction with 0 mixin?

If you type "help" and see the "sweep_dust" option you can also try that.

I sent with the recommended level of 3 mixin. I tried sweep_dust and it says its an unknown command.

Not having the sweep_dust command means your version of the wallet is old. You should get the version from github, one of the recent beta builds, or wait for the new release. But like saddambitcoin said, you can just use mixin 0 with the older wallet. The world won't come crashing down because one person used mixin 0.

What exactly is the sweep_dust command supposed to do exactly?
It was going to charge me a fee of 1.5 XMR and then remove 3 XMR from my wallet. I said no.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
The link on the getmonero site still points to the previous version..  

Fixed, sorry about that
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
What a fantastic start of 2016! Dev-team legends!

2016 Year of the Mustang
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
The link on the getmonero site still points to the previous version..  
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
Congratulations guys.

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1101
karbo.io
I am mining at 73 H/s with 4 threads on i7 2600k.

yes thats too slow if you ask me, but maybe its ionly the display..

btw i think 3 threads should be enough on i7 2600k.

with old release i had like 180 h/s on 2700k 4ghz if i remember correctly.

4 threads will get max performance (around 200) but 3 will reduce impact if you are using the computer for something else. Anyway, 73 is too low, yes. Something is wrong there.

Lemee see... Turn off minergate and voila.

status
Height: 894018/894018 (100.0%) on mainnet, mining at 95 H/s, net hash 13.12 MH/s, v1, up to date, 8+8 connections

This is better Smiley

It is with default i7 settings at ~ 3500 MHz

Upd.:

status
Height: 894020/894020 (100.0%) on mainnet, mining at 106 H/s, net hash 13.07 MH/s, v1, up to date, 8+8 connections

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
What a fantastic start of 2016! Dev-team legends!
legendary
    Hydrogen Helix
    https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases/tag/v0.9.0

Overview
    Too much to describe. Represents a major release in Monero's history, over a year-and-a-half in the making.
    snipped all the amazing work
    Official Download Links:
    Windows, 64-bit: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases/download/v0.9.0/monero.win.x64.v0-9-0-0.zip
    OS X, 64-bit: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases/download/v0.9.0/monero.mac.x64.v0-9-0-0.tar.bz2
    Linux: build in progress
    Source: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/archive/v0.9.0.zip

CONGRATS ON THE RELEASE!!! MONERO FOR EVERYONE! 32 bit, 64 bit, 512 MB ram machines, 5400 rpm machines, !!!!![/list]

32 bit is still WIP (work in progress). The code works fine but there are build issues and we are also looking at dumping the Berkeley DB fallback and using LMDB on all platforms.
    legendary
    Activity: 1260
    Merit: 1008
      Hydrogen Helix
      https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases/tag/v0.9.0

Overview
      Too much to describe. Represents a major release in Monero's history, over a year-and-a-half in the making.
      snipped all the amazing work
      Official Download Links:
      Windows, 64-bit: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases/download/v0.9.0/monero.win.x64.v0-9-0-0.zip
      OS X, 64-bit: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases/download/v0.9.0/monero.mac.x64.v0-9-0-0.tar.bz2
      Linux: build in progress
      Source: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/archive/v0.9.0.zip

CONGRATS ON THE RELEASE!!! MONERO FOR EVERYONE! 32 bit, 64 bit, 512 MB ram machines, 5400 rpm machines, !!!!![/list]
      Jump to: