Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 715. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet

Thank you dEBRUYNE

The problem is that getting the instructions from monero.org>knowledge base>restoring your monero account the command looks looks this

simplewallet –restore-deterministic-wallet

so before restore I put - instead of --

the - before restore is longer than either of the ones before deterministic or wallet so it seems that the 2 dashes got squashed together.  I guess some problem with the formatting on getmonero

wallet is restored and currently refreshing and I will be mining when that is finished Smiley Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Resident idiot here.  0.9 is synced and I tried to restore a wallet from seed which after difficulties I was able to do in Oct. after updating to the windows beta.  I tried the instructions on getmonero.org>knowledge base but when I try any commands it thinks it's a wallet name so obviously I'm at the wrong spot but don't know where the correct place is.  I looked at my postings from Oct. as I was successful then but it was no help Tongue

Maybe I do need a GUI after all Tongue Grin

This will help you hopefully:

You can import it with simplewallet, you basically have to restore it with the seed that was given by MoneroAddress. That can be done as follows:

It's fairly straight forward, you have to make use of the command prompt to restore a wallet. So, you can either open up the command prompt, navigate to the folder simplewallet.exe is located and subsequently use the following command:

simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet

It will prompt you for your mnemonic seed.

Or, the more easy way, just navigate to the folder simplewallet.exe is located (without using the command prompt). When you are in the folder, use shift + right click (make sure you are not standing on any file). The context menu will contain an entry, ‘Open command window here.” It will open the command prompt and you can proceed to enter your mnemonic seed.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
is windows version a gui for mining
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Yeah I have come across that program but I am unsure how to feed it the hash of my wallet pass. It doesn't work with the 'keys' file. Still trying to get a handle on all this, not my forte.  As I said super dumb. 

You can be pretty sure nothing exists to do this, at least not public.

It also shouldn't be too hard to code something up, but then you're looking at someone's time and they're may be cost involved. Depends on how much value is locked away, etc.

In any case you can keep the wallet files indefinitely and maybe you'll remember it later or the value will increase.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Yeah I have come across that program but I am unsure how to feed it the hash of my wallet pass. It doesn't work with the 'keys' file. Still trying to get a handle on all this, not my forte.  As I said super dumb. 

LOL, not dumb at all, but it will make you feel that way! This crypto is some heady stuff with the best minds in the world involved. I wish I had gotten into it when I was young and had a sponge for a brain as opposed to the sieve I have now. Smiley

I believe that site has a section where you can get help. There is a forum I believe.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Resident idiot here.  0.9 is synced and I tried to restore a wallet from seed which after difficulties I was able to do in Oct. after updating to the windows beta.  I tried the instructions on getmonero.org>knowledge base but when I try any commands it thinks it's a wallet name so obviously I'm at the wrong spot but don't know where the correct place is.  I looked at my postings from Oct. as I was successful then but it was no help Tongue

Me too!  I mean not the idiot part  Grin, but the need for gui wallet. Anyone know what the status of that is?
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
It was an older wallet that doesn't appear to have a seed but I could be wrong.  Still checking.

Other news:  My node seems rock solid with the 0.9 release.

Bruteforcing only works if you know 90-99% of the password already and it is not too complex. Hopefully you will find your mnemonic seed or remember your password.

I am pretty sure I remember the base password so I think a bruteforce shouldn't take to long if I can find something that will do it.

http://www.openwall.com/john/
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

If you are trying the --restore-deterministic-wallet argument, it will ask you for a wallet name first, its just like creating a new wallet file except you are providing the seed. So you may be on the right path after all.
legendary
It was an older wallet that doesn't appear to have a seed but I could be wrong.  Still checking.

Bruteforcing only works if you know 90-99% of the password already and it is not too complex. Hopefully you will find your mnemonic seed or remember your password.

I am pretty sure I remember the base password so I think a bruteforce shouldn't take to long if I can find something that will do it.
legendary
Activity: 1624

legendary

legendary
It was an older wallet that doesn't appear to have a seed but I could be wrong.  Still checking.

Other news:  My node seems rock solid with the 0.9 release.
legendary
Activity: 1260
do you have the mnemonic seed? You don't need a password for that.

In other news, lets keep an eye on how many high uptime nodes hydrogen helix brings out of the woodwork!

http://moneronodes.i2p.xyz/

The chart on there indicates there have been roughly 78, on average, high uptime nodes since week 38.
legendary
So it is official, I could the dumbest sod on earth.  Seems I have forgotten my simplewallet password, ugh.  There any scripts or progs out there for brute force?  Thanks gents.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Hydrogen Helix runs fantastic on OSX.  
Any plans for implementing the terminal buttons? (Tab for filling in, and up arrow for last command)?

Thanks!

rlwrap works on Linux (mentioned at the end of the README file). I don't know if there is an equivalent utility on OSX.

If you have Homebrew (if not, get it, it's the best!) you can brew install rlwrap.

Now when you start up simplewallet in the terminal instead enter rlwrap ./simplewallet to launch simplewallet with rlwrap. You can now use up and down arrows to cycle through your history of commands, but no tab autocompletion.

I will update this post when I figure out how to add commands to the rlwrap completion dictionary...

Next you'll probably want to add an alias for starting simplewallet so you don't have to type rlwrap ./simplewallet every time. So add a line in your .bash_profile like this:
alias simplewallet="cd path/to/bitmonero/build/release/bin && rlwrap ./simplewallet"
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
If you like the new release and have some spare XMR, I suggest supporting the devs by donating Smiley
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monero-community-hall-of-fame-700400

PS: It seems I can now add some quote below my name in the "Hall of Fame". This is this quote I'll choose:
Crypto may offer a way to do "key blinding".  I did some research and it was obscure, but there may be something there.  "group signatures" may be related.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I have replaced Monero 0.9 beta files with the ones in the final release. Started bitmonerd.exe to sync block chain. After fully sync-ed for a while, Monero still occupied 1,300,000 - 1,600,000 K (1.2GB - 1.5GB RAM) for Working Set (shareable memory) and 56,000K (55 MB Privating Working Set)

Yes the so-called shareable memory is caching of the database file, and will be freed up as needed by the OS. It is called shareable because theoretically there could be multiple applications accessing the database sharing that memory, although that isn't the case in this particular usage.

legendary
Activity: 1106
I have replaced Monero 0.9 beta files with the ones in the final release. Started bitmonerd.exe to sync block chain. After fully sync-ed for a while, Monero still occupied 1,300,000 - 1,600,000 K (1.2GB - 1.5GB RAM) for Working Set (shareable memory) and 56,000K (55 MB Privating Working Set)
legendary
Crosspost:

Interesting comment from Shen about multisig

yep - very likely will be implemented in conjunction with the ring ct stuff

Following the "written up" link in the Ring CT post, section 4.4 of the paper describes how to implement "Ring multisignature". Some of the other CryptoNote coins have multisig, but only with 0 mixin.

Very nice work being done on the crypto front.

Jump to: