Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 767. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Monero 0.9beta Windows 7, RAM 6 GB, free disk: 3 GB/90GB, free CPU:70%, free memory: 1.5GB

> Prepare blocks took: 5342ms

What really happened at "Prepare blocks"? Any idea why it was so slow

If I recall correctly, it prepares a set of blocks (don't know precisely how much), that's why it takes that long. Also, 5s isn't that slow in my opinion :-P After syncing the blockchain RAM usage should also be somewhere around 100 MB or lower. The syncing speed also depends on the kind of hard drive, an SSD will sync way faster than a HDD.
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend
How many forks can we post until the hardfork?

lets be productive!!

Ughh... all I have is this spork...

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
How many forks can we post until the hardfork?

lets be productive!!
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
More exciting news from our pro coder moneromooo!

Now at 180 hours, with the following since last update:

more work on the hard fork code (functional changes (mixin/dust recommendations), and speedups on the initial scan)
    a check_tx command (to complement the get_tx_key command)
    blockchain_export can now export the blockchain's block hashes in a format that can be used by NoodleDoodle's fast sync code
    improvements to existing tx/block query RPC to return JSON representations, and fixing print_block
    misc other tweaks and fixes

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/334/fund-a-developer-moneromoo-will-work-part-time-on-monero-for-260-hours-over-approx-6-months?page=&noscroll=1#post-4229

Very nice! I hope he'll continue later on for another round of funding
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
More exciting news from our pro coder moneromooo!

Now at 180 hours, with the following since last update:

more work on the hard fork code (functional changes (mixin/dust recommendations), and speedups on the initial scan)
    a check_tx command (to complement the get_tx_key command)
    blockchain_export can now export the blockchain's block hashes in a format that can be used by NoodleDoodle's fast sync code
    improvements to existing tx/block query RPC to return JSON representations, and fixing print_block
    misc other tweaks and fixes

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/334/fund-a-developer-moneromoo-will-work-part-time-on-monero-for-260-hours-over-approx-6-months?page=&noscroll=1#post-4229
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
Monero 0.9beta Windows 7, RAM 6 GB, free disk: 3 GB/90GB, free CPU:70%, free memory: 1.5GB

> Prepare blocks took: 5342ms

What really happened at "Prepare blocks"? Any idea why it was so slow
legendary
Activity: 1105

Great stuff! Monero just gets better and better.

Re block time - if it is changed to 2 minutes, will the block reward be doubled to keep the emission curve the same?

You're correct.

Yes of course, it's not some trick to change the social contract.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Re block time - if it is changed to 2 minutes, will the block reward be doubled to keep the emission curve the same?

You're correct.
Activity: 450
Merit: 250

Activity: 896
Maybe we can set the block time to be 10 min now,then reduce it 1% every certain period (month), until it becomes 30s, which is suitable in the future.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
Custom board would be better.

Agree! But this one is quite cheap, has a sizable support community, and is readily available.
Just saying, custom boards tend to introduce a whole bunch of other problems (accessibility, hardware issues, availability, price, etc...). Avoiding all those obstacles, then absolutely, a custom board would be awesome!
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
hmmmmmm interesting
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
There's this Tronsmart Ara x5 for $150 which is fanless, has an Intel Atom x5-Z8300 CPU (2MB cache and supports AES-NI!), 2GB of RAM, and 32GB eMMC.

Unfortunately the cache on Atom is 1 MB for each 2 cores, thus not usable for Cryptonight. Well, usable but the performance is poor.

The power usage on those is so low that the mining efficiency still isn't terrible, but it is mediocre.

It has USB ports so when the internal storage runs out you can plug in a drive and keep going.

How about this one:
https://www.parallella.org/board/

A crowd funded project to turn these into Monero nodes would be pretty sweet! The onchip FPGA cache seems tiny, but it also appears to have a reasonably high off-chip memory bandwidth. Any takers? Wolf'?  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

If there were an easy way to have the block time automatically adjust itself to usage, such an algorithm would probably set it very high right now and then decrease if and when usage increases.

This is an interesting idea I've pondered myself.  The blocktime is a 'guess' by the software which aims to achieve a certain blocktime by looking at the current hash rate of the network and assigning a difficulty to the next problem which should be solved in approximately the desired blocktime, right?  

So what would be wrong with looking at total transactions attempted instead and adjusting the difficulty to target something between 2 minutes and 10 minutes based on transaction volume?  I think we can agree that 2 minutes is about as fast as blocks should be targeted, given current network technology.  I think it's also pretty accepted that more than 10 minutes isn't necessary [and could be dangerous if the network experiences a sudden loss of mining power].  Let's say that currently the network only sees <1 transaction a second and as a result of this sets the block time to the maximum of 10 minutes.  Each successive 'target blocktime' is calculated based on the current attempted transactions this block.  If it sees a massive and sudden influx of transactions, it retargets a new blocktime very quickly - the very next cycle.  If it sees a slow increase in transaction volume it will gradually adjust it's difficulty multiplier so that instead of a 10 minute target we move down to 9, then 8.... all the way down to the arbitrary 2 minute minimum.  (with no minimum we would open up the network to possible attack by way of people attempting to force the blocksize too low with too many transactions, but setting a minimum seems possible).  

Thoughts on this?  

Transaction volume is pretty easy to use as a denial of service attack, as reasonable fees are pretty low. Normally that doesn't do much other than take up space but if you can force the block time lower too it might encourage more spam.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

If there were an easy way to have the block time automatically adjust itself to usage, such an algorithm would probably set it very high right now and then decrease if and when usage increases.

This is an interesting idea I've pondered myself.  The blocktime is a 'guess' by the software which aims to achieve a certain blocktime by looking at the current hash rate of the network and assigning a difficulty to the next problem which should be solved in approximately the desired blocktime, right?  

So what would be wrong with looking at total transactions attempted instead and adjusting the difficulty to target something between 2 minutes and 10 minutes based on transaction volume?  I think we can agree that 2 minutes is about as fast as blocks should be targeted, given current network technology.  I think it's also pretty accepted that more than 10 minutes isn't necessary [and could be dangerous if the network experiences a sudden loss of mining power].  Let's say that currently the network only sees <1 transaction a second and as a result of this sets the block time to the maximum of 10 minutes.  Each successive 'target blocktime' is calculated based on the current attempted transactions this block.  If it sees a massive and sudden influx of transactions, it retargets a new blocktime very quickly - the very next cycle.  If it sees a slow increase in transaction volume it will gradually adjust it's difficulty multiplier so that instead of a 10 minute target we move down to 9, then 8.... all the way down to the arbitrary 2 minute minimum.  (with no minimum we would open up the network to possible attack by way of people attempting to force the blocksize too low with too many transactions, but setting a minimum seems possible).  

Thoughts on this?  Has this idea already been explored elsewhere?
legendary
There's this Tronsmart Ara x5 for $150 which is fanless, has an Intel Atom x5-Z8300 CPU (2MB cache and supports AES-NI!), 2GB of RAM, and 32GB eMMC.

Unfortunately the cache on Atom is 1 MB for each 2 cores, thus not usable for Cryptonight. Well, usable but the performance is poor.

The power usage on those is so low that the mining efficiency still isn't terrible, but it is mediocre.

It has USB ports so when the internal storage runs out you can plug in a drive and keep going.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

I wonder how much H/s it could pull, given its 2MB cache and AES-NI support. Only downside (for me) is that it doesn't support Linux yet.

Bah.  I could have linux up and running on this in 5 minutes. 
legendary

If block time is modified to 2 minutes then it should last longer. Also, you can always add an external storage.

Block time has been discussed many time previously. As Monero is not being used, just in distribution stage, even 10 min block time is acceptable. However, the community decides 1 min block time is fine.

Block time will most likely be changed to 2 minutes *soon*. 
After the 0.9 release which will be released **very soon**.

Yes, and the main discussion of this was on the official forum: forum.getmonero.org

FWIW, I agree with OrientA, although no one really made that point in the discussion.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

If block time is modified to 2 minutes then it should last longer. Also, you can always add an external storage.

Block time has been discussed many time previously. As Monero is not being used, just in distribution stage, even 10 min block time is acceptable. However, the community decides 1 min block time is fine.

Block time will most likely be changed to 2 minutes *soon*. 
After the 0.9 release which will be released **very soon**.
Jump to: