Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 764. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

They don't sound like smart guys at all. They should make a favor to themselves and avoid talking blindly on matters they have no clue about.
It's false that there is no developer working on Monero. It's false that there is no peer-review, or people judging the fungibility and privacy degrees of various approaches proposed here and there.

They sound truly idiotic to me, like somebody only knowing addition and then mocking multiplication with a mocking voice "yeah mmm multiplication... it's backed by maths. Hahaha...".

That's what bothers me about this one, because on other Bitcoin topics, they're actually spot on.

Their ignorance is quite salient..

I agree. The last one I heard was about that private ledger startup. It just seems that they are parroting ideas without really understanding them. Not to mention their lack of basic respect to anyone/anything they want to criticize. But I guess that is what makes people listen to them...
Activity: 1308
Merit: 508
Hey,

I'm new to monero - can anyone help me to set up my GPU miner?

GPU: Nvidia Quadro K1000M
Cuda: yes
Driver: 345.35

Which miningsoftware do I need?
https://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight

Thank you - this works Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Hey,

https://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

They don't sound like smart guys at all. They should make a favor to themselves and avoid talking blindly on matters they have no clue about.
It's false that there is no developer working on Monero. It's false that there is no peer-review, or people judging the fungibility and privacy degrees of various approaches proposed here and there.

They sound truly idiotic to me, like somebody only knowing addition and then mocking multiplication with a mocking voice "yeah mmm multiplication... it's backed by maths. Hahaha...".

That's what bothers me about this one, because on other Bitcoin topics, they're actually spot on.

Their ignorance is quite salient..
Activity: 1308
Merit: 508
Hey,

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Further criticism of Monero from junseth on the latest Bitcoin Uncensored, at the 1 hour, 2 minute, 39 second mark:
https://soundcloud.com/bitcoinuncensored/e12-touchy-subjects-102515

I don't know if you can call that criticism. Seems more like ignorance.

He's a smart guy who's right about a number of things, but I've told him that he's coming across as trolling in this latest one, rather than learning more about ring signatures and just reading/digesting what fluffypony has written to him here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ojjkq/can_someone_help_me_understand_the_claims_of/cvxwq10

Unfortunately, junseth also doesn't like walls of text, so there may be little hope. Smiley

legendary
Further criticism of Monero from junseth on the latest Bitcoin Uncensored, at the 1 hour, 2 minute, 39 second mark:

He's a smart guy who's right about a number of things, but I've told him that he's coming across as trolling in this latest one, rather than learning more about ring signatures and just reading/digesting what fluffypony has written to him here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ojjkq/can_someone_help_me_understand_the_claims_of/cvxwq10

Unfortunately, junseth also doesn't like walls of text, so there may be little hope. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

legendary
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
I did it! Reached the next performance milestone on 290X!

Thread 0 is a 280X at 1150/1500, Thread 1 is a 290X at 1125/1500, Thread 2 is a 290X at 1150/1500, and Thread 3 is a Fury (unlocked to Fury X) at 1100/0500 (NSFW): https://ottrbutt.com/tmp/xmr-improved1.png

Good job, and thanks for adding NSFW.

Here's the same thing, but with no furry pr0n:  http://imgur.com/FuYRKSG

Activity: 263
Merit: 250
My first report on 0.9 beta release
+ Database size after sync-ed: data.mdb 9,437,187 KB (9.4 GB) (block 797721)

Hey, strange, I updated Monero today and my database is only 5.079.778 KB !?? (Windows 10)
Version 0.8.8.6
Why such differences ?

windows apparently has a fun time with sparse file formats, or at least thats what fluffy said.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file

basically, the file is mostly empty. if u compressed it with zip or whatever, you'd see a file size reminiscent of the actual data, bc no compression algo is gonna do wonders with crypto data, as its mostly psuedo-random nonsense with little to no patterns

The new database doesn't store the data all that compactly. Some amount of extra space being used is reasonable to improve performance but the 9+ GB does seem a bit excessive and is something we plan to look at in the future. BTW the 5 GB isn't that efficient either. If someone has an export file they can report on the actual size of the blockchain. It's smaller than both of those.

Thank you !
Yes my blockchain 0.8.8.6 is a .bin format, not a .mdb. And for information I use the latest version of MoneroX as GUI, if that matters. Very sad the author is going to stop developing this frontend.
GingerAle, funny you spoke about data compression... 2 days ago, as I like data compression tests with several "rare" or new compressors, I tried to compress my blockchain, only to see what happens and the possible differences between compressors. Interesting results, but not finished my comparative yet, I'll post here once done, for information.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
How long is the new database version expected to be in testing before it can be officially released?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
So I figured I would post about where I am at in the source code and give some perspective on what is going on and how complex it is (well to me it is):

The transfer RPC command used in simplewallet.cpp references the following function:

Trust me there is much more going on in other places of the code on a bit-wise level of shifting bits LEFT and RIGHT etc in the portion that creates your secret/view keys etc when you create an ACCOUNT in simple wallet. <---- very complex math

Meh.  I'm not impressed.  Looks like something any 'ol Russian scammer could cobble together (though I'm sure the Monero devs have cleaned up & annotated the code a little).  Tongue  

Show me some polynomial time code that solves traveling salesman and I'll be impressed (and it has to be under 100kb in size, including comments - entries will be disqualified for being over the 100kb limit; some other Russian kid tried to show me he solved traveling salesman with a function time of O(36n+17), but the code was over 4MB.... sorry, read the rules slacker).

Not sure what the traveling saleman topic has to do with code.

lol

Are you reading too deep into things as the RPC command is "transfer" not "travel".  Cheesy
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
So I figured I would post about where I am at in the source code and give some perspective on what is going on and how complex it is (well to me it is):

The transfer RPC command used in simplewallet.cpp references the following function:

Trust me there is much more going on in other places of the code on a bit-wise level of shifting bits LEFT and RIGHT etc in the portion that creates your secret/view keys etc when you create an ACCOUNT in simple wallet. <---- very complex math

Meh.  I'm not impressed.  Looks like something any 'ol Russian scammer could cobble together (though I'm sure the Monero devs have cleaned up & annotated the code a little).  Tongue  

Show me some polynomial time code that solves traveling salesman and I'll be impressed (and it has to be under 100kb in size, including comments - entries will be disqualified for being over the 100kb limit; some other Russian kid tried to show me he solved traveling salesman with a function time of O(36n+17), but the code was over 4MB.... sorry, read the rules slacker).
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Now at this point I'm going to continue to read the first function at the top and keep going from there, where I left off after the function call create_transactions

I'm finding it sort of therapeutic to read source code learn new keywords and operators etc in C++ that I never learned in my schooling in computer science.

There is a lot going on in just this one RPC command "transfer". There is a "transfer_new" which I have not delved into much yet.

I'll post more in the future once I have better understanding of the code or just want to update on where my reading and commenting for myself is at.

All for now.. Grin

This is the exact reason I'm not going to waste any time on this code without a flowchart at the very least. My memory is not any good anymore and this is real work. Not to mention the fact this info has to out there already or no-one would be able to edit the code safely. So someones holding out on us. It makes me suspicious.

http://dilbert.com/strip/1994-06-10

You are always welcome to contribute to this.

My memory isn't good either. But I used what is called commenting in the code as well as note taking. It helps when you write things down, then it is less to remember.

It is difficult to read but it is doable. It will only get easier with more eyes on the code.

Do as you wish and thanks for your input. Smiley

I applaud your effort, I hope to see it completed. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

Now at this point I'm going to continue to read the first function at the top and keep going from there, where I left off after the function call create_transactions

I'm finding it sort of therapeutic to read source code learn new keywords and operators etc in C++ that I never learned in my schooling in computer science.

There is a lot going on in just this one RPC command "transfer". There is a "transfer_new" which I have not delved into much yet.

I'll post more in the future once I have better understanding of the code or just want to update on where my reading and commenting for myself is at.

All for now.. Grin

This is the exact reason I'm not going to waste any time on this code without a flowchart at the very least. My memory is not any good anymore and this is real work. Not to mention the fact this info has to out there already or no-one would be able to edit the code safely. So someones holding out on us. It makes me suspicious.

You are always welcome to contribute to this.

My memory isn't good either. But I used what is called commenting in the code as well as note taking. It helps when you write things down, then it is less to remember.

It is difficult to read but it is doable. It will only get easier with more eyes on the code.

Do as you wish and thanks for your input. Smiley
legendary

u know tewingets doin this, right?

https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/commit/9366319367e86f5802de30607f1f22772e171bda

and i think it'll use doxygen, which is almost as good as toxygen

Yup, just waiting. Only been a year so I am pretty patient. Shouldn't be long now. I'm sure once this is accomplished there will be a large influx of programmers. But then XMR won't be cheap anymore. Cheesy

Has anyone considered asking the bytecoin scammers how much they want for the info?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

All for now.. Grin

u know tewingets doin this, right?

https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/commit/9366319367e86f5802de30607f1f22772e171bda

and i think it'll use doxygen, which is almost as good as toxygen
legendary

All for now.. Grin

Jump to: