Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 939. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Hi, maybe this is the wrong thread, if so, I apologize, as I did a lot of googling but came up short.

I'm for the first time running bitmonerod on Linux.

I compiled from latest linux 64-bit source, and now have the daemon running - I couldn't seem to use the blockchain.bin on monero.cc (kept crashing), so i've gotten it running but resyncing from scratch.

Here is my single question - Am I now using the new database format, or ... was there some compile switch i missed? My blockchain.bin is still pretty large, even with 333 days left to sync, but i'm not sure that matters.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Activity: 94
Merit: 10
The latest batch of 50 pure silver physical Moneroj 2015 is almost ready for shipment. The coins will look very similar with the previous ones. The main difference is the slogan. This time it's the fundamental qualities of Monero in Esperanto: Sekura. Privata. Nespurebla.

We have also created a short video about 2014 Moneroj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6xuvoKc5VM
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
So we're slowly inching our way through the doldrums...community activity, trading volume, development? Are we going to reach the tradewinds soon? These flapping sails are unnerving.

The only thing that is going to stop that is a production ready database implementation and a simple to install and run official gui. Or credible information pertaining to the progress in these areas which speculators can use to price in a future release production ready database implementation and a simple to install and run official gui.

The upcoming 0.8.8.7 release will include the database, so I guess most unofficial GUI developers will also include that into their wallets. For me personally, something like MoneroX with the database included is sufficient. Remember that the official GUI will not be some half-baked simple GUI, but more an account type like GUI.

Its not just about a simple solution existing if it takes as much effort to learn about it as it does to just figure out how to use the command line Tongue. People want to just be able to go to mymonero.com click download and click run on the file that downloaded and then have a simple intuitive and familiar gui magically appear right in front of their face. Of course you cant guarantee it but ideally you want there to atleast be a reasonable chance that monero gets up and running on their machine, in gui format, without hogging ram, if they navigate to the website and then proceed to roll their face on the keyboard.

I recently had a run in with bitshares while doing a job for someone. It was a god damned mess. But they got what i was talking about above exactly right. I downloaded the file. I didnt need to extract anything it just downloaded directly as an exe. I didn't need to install anything. Just double click the file that downloaded from bitshares.org and bam bitshares appears up and running on my screen. That was impressive.

I like your post, especially the "roll their face on the keyboard" bit.
 Cheesy

You make a good point. But, do you not think that the Monero Team will deliver these things?

I personally do very much believe that exactly what you describe will be delivered, probably by the end of this year.

I suspect that they will. Thats part of the reason why I own monero Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
The LMDB works, and it compiles on windows 64, and there's a hacky way to get a LMDB-build GUI using MoneroX (see my above post)

You just showed screenshots of it working on your system, right? People would need to compile bitmonerod to work with the LMDB database, do the conversion, and then drop that in to MoneroX's resources->software folder.

The reason I'd be interested in doing this is because MoneroX crashes when doing transactions using a remote daemon, so I'd want to take it back to using a local daemon whenever I can.

Right. And the compile instructions (on the monero github site) are really easy to follow. You must follow them EXACTLY though.

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

edited to add: and you have to install berkely DB, which is a simple google to figure out.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
So we're slowly inching our way through the doldrums...community activity, trading volume, development? Are we going to reach the tradewinds soon? These flapping sails are unnerving.

The only thing that is going to stop that is a production ready database implementation and a simple to install and run official gui. Or credible information pertaining to the progress in these areas which speculators can use to price in a future release production ready database implementation and a simple to install and run official gui.

The upcoming 0.8.8.7 release will include the database, so I guess most unofficial GUI developers will also include that into their wallets. For me personally, something like MoneroX with the database included is sufficient. Remember that the official GUI will not be some half-baked simple GUI, but more an account type like GUI.

Its not just about a simple solution existing if it takes as much effort to learn about it as it does to just figure out how to use the command line Tongue. People want to just be able to go to mymonero.com click download and click run on the file that downloaded and then have a simple intuitive and familiar gui magically appear right in front of their face. Of course you cant guarantee it but ideally you want there to atleast be a reasonable chance that monero gets up and running on their machine, in gui format, without hogging ram, if they navigate to the website and then proceed to roll their face on the keyboard.

I recently had a run in with bitshares while doing a job for someone. It was a god damned mess. But they got what i was talking about above exactly right. I downloaded the file. I didnt need to extract anything it just downloaded directly as an exe. I didn't need to install anything. Just double click the file that downloaded from bitshares.org and bam bitshares appears up and running on my screen. That was impressive.

I like your post, especially the "roll their face on the keyboard" bit.
 Cheesy

You make a good point. But, do you not think that the Monero Team will deliver these things?

I personally do very much believe that exactly what you describe will be delivered, probably by the end of this year.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
The LMDB works, and it compiles on windows 64, and there's a hacky way to get a LMDB-build GUI using MoneroX (see my above post)

You just showed screenshots of it working on your system, right? People would need to compile bitmonerod to work with the LMDB database, do the conversion, and then drop that in to MoneroX's resources->software folder.

The reason I'd be interested in doing this is because MoneroX crashes when doing transactions using a remote daemon, so I'd want to take it back to using a local daemon whenever I can.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
I think most of you already know this, but in case anyone missed it:

Core team member Riccardo "Fluffypony" Spagni will be in Europe this month and will attend several meetings.

The first meeting he will attend is in Brussels, Belgium, on the 19th of May: http://www.meetup.com/Bitcoin-Brussels/events/221909098/

Secondly, he will attend the meeting in Paris, France, on the 21st of May: https://forum.getmonero.org/14/events/277/monero-meetup-paris-france-may-21th-2015

Thirdly, he will attend the meeting in Berlin, Germany, on the 24th of May: https://forum.getmonero.org/14/events/237/monero-meetup-berlin-germany-may-24th-2015

At last, he will speak at the Bitcoin Conference in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, on the 30th of May: http://bitcoinference.com/2015/Monero.html
Activity: 400
Merit: 263

I think everybody likes surprising people around here. It may feel like the doldrums, but people just work in silence. And who knows why we're in the doldrums, considering:

roosma's working on trezor thing
Luigi's workin on a surprise
and I know of one other unknown development, perhaps 2.

don't worry, there will be a new missive soon. Smiley

hehe I'm not worried at all. Sometimes impatience gets the better of me. I was mainly referring to the low trade volume and the silent community (including me but I am incompetent so I'd rather lurk and keep it shut)

Anyway thanks for the news!
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
lol today is monday psssst  Grin
let them sell sub 200k first  Roll Eyes

Too late, they've already heard him. Interesting spike.
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
lol today is monday psssst  Grin
let them sell sub 200k first  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

I think everybody likes surprising people around here. It may feel like the doldrums, but people just work in silence. And who knows why we're in the doldrums, considering:

roosma's working on trezor thing
Luigi's workin on a surprise
and I know of one other unknown development, perhaps 2.

don't worry, there will be a new missive soon. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Yeeeeaaahhhh, i found my second block since february on a AMD Octacore  Grin Cheesy Wink

Nice! And thank you for solo mining. It really helps the network!

Yeeeeaaahhhh, you´re welcome, that´s what i am talking about as a supporter  Cheesy Grin
And maybe my - at the moment writing- completely ineffective mining in terms of power to $ ratio pays off some day in 2016  Tongue Shocked Cheesy Grin
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Yeeeeaaahhhh, i found my second block since february on a AMD Octacore  Grin Cheesy Wink

Nice! And thank you for solo mining. It really helps the network!

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Activity: 400
Merit: 263
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Does anybody know how to use the viewkey in the following scenario:

These is the destination of donations for incorporating Monero use into Trezor firmware.
    Address for donations:   49hGzzV9XtNZKHAe1kNuXkRfhws12ZHipavhffm2gXDXR3aGxiLzt9GRBFPqL6Vgp6hEnpsiT285v5v 4XmrUC93PSTaML5r
    View key: 2a2e69948dfcc5a3198ee0288494a729c65069611cf0146f8f31013dd2a0ac0c (if anyone wants to keep an eye on the account)
    Escrowed by our very own fluffypony

Can Trezor tackle the current requirement of an underlying 64bit architecture? To my knowledge, no cant.

What is 64 bit? I have Monero running on my raspberry pi. 32 bit ARM
Jump to: