Pages:
Author

Topic: XMR vs DRK - page 25. (Read 69755 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
March 29, 2015, 05:36:18 PM
Tok said cryptography 'wasn't a significant part' of cryptocurrencies.  He didn't say they don't require them, so what was your point?

Can you (or Tok) point to a part of a cryptocurrency which isn't cryptography?

the dev team, the website, any part of the wallet not doing a cryptographic function, the buyers, the masternode operators, the network transport, whatever isn't going into a cryptographic function.

...but i see what you mean.  (I think) Tok was coming from a business point of view to try to rebalance the fact that on the XMR thread devs like Fluffy keep banging on about XMR is secure due to cryptographic proof and even sites examples like Tor and SSH - which forgets the other half of cryptocurrency security which is the implementation (heartbleed etc)

The dev team, the website, the buyers are all unecessary. The network "transport" heavily relies on cryptography when it is authenticating to a node during a handshake.

Maybe I can help with an example. Bitcoin is like a highway, large sections of concrete and bitumen painted with guidelines and reflective cats-eyes. The Monero developers see this design and decide to make a similar transport system, maybe a high-speed railway line in this example. The Bitcoin and Monero developers don't care what vehicle (GUI wallet) you choose to ride, as long as it obeys the rules of the road or rail. They also do not pretend that their transport system prevents accidents, because that would be silly.

On the other hand I am starting to see that Dash is like a rickety school bus. It is built on top of Bitcoin's code and all the hard work developers like gmaxwell have done, and so it is appropriate to view it as riding on Bitcoin's 'highway' in our minds. It doesn't matter if there is one rickety school bus (Bitcoin Fog!) or 2,000 of them (Dash) you still have to hope that the driver of the rickety school bus isn't suicidal and has actually serviced his engine. You might ride with some good bus drivers today, but what about next week or next month? I'm understanding now for the first time that I don't need to trust the driver of the bus when I can take a step to the left and use my own train on the high-speed railway.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188
March 29, 2015, 05:36:12 PM

By stuck you know that it means it's not on the market available to trade. No matter how easy it can become "un-stuck" is irrelevant.

Well thats got nothing to do with masternodes. Bitcoin in a cold wallet is also not "available to trade". Loose change sitting in my pocket is also "not available to trade". The balance of my offset mortgage account is also "not available to trade". None of this has anything to do with liquidity which is a measure of how much the price moves for a given trade which will generally be less for higher marketcap assets.

Even if we use your narrow "how much is in the market" definition, if I right this minute buy 20 BTC worth of XMR I'll move the market by 3.36% according to Bitcoinwisdom whereas in the Dash/BTC market it'll only move 1.58%. So there's your argument blown out of the water right there.

I also find this odd: " Why dont you go and ask Evan/Dash developer why he didn't relaunch Dash/DRK after the instamine scam where he and a few others mined over 2million Dash/DRKs on a linux only release, then cut the block reward and coin supply by over half to instantly make those instamined coins more valuable, all while at that time, Dash/DRK had no future goals was just a random Bitcoin clone? You should maybe do that instead of trolling."

Because I've already read his account, your account and every other critic that trolls the Dash thread to kingdom come and made up my mind about what impact that period has on the value of the project. Contrary to what your trying to promote, I'm of the opinion that the current value of that cryptocurrency has far more to do with amount of work he put into it over the last year than the fact he tweaked the block reward back then. You make up your own mind about it but I've sure seen nothing to convince me of anything other than Dash is probably the most investable in the whole market right now.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
March 29, 2015, 05:31:16 PM
My Dash is going to be sold over the next few days. I refuse to a cryptocurrency where the fanboys imagine that cryptography is uneccessary. What a stupid thing to say.

So you think these fanboy guys are stupid, then base your investment decisions on what they say. Seems a bit strange...

I never said they are stupid, I said that what they said was stupid.

It's like the run-up to an election, you support a candidate and you think he's not entirely stupid. In a debate just before the election his supporters make signs and go on interviews saying that they don't think the opinion of the people is important, and they fully support the presidential candidate making all the decisions. The candidate keeps quiet. Eventually former presidents come forward to point out how disconnected this thinking is from reality and how dangerously close it is to supporting a dictator.

Would you keep the faith, and just ignore what is becoming more and more apparent?

OK well whatever. I still can't understand why you'd sell your coins because someone else who has the coins says something stupid. If it was the lead dev then maybe, but some guy on a forum?
Activity: 392
Merit: 255
March 29, 2015, 05:30:54 PM
My Dash is going to be sold over the next few days. I refuse to a cryptocurrency where the fanboys imagine that cryptography is uneccessary. What a stupid thing to say.

So you think these fanboy guys are stupid, then base your investment decisions on what they say. Seems a bit strange...

It's like the run-up to an election, you support a candidate and you think he's not entirely stupid. In a debate just before the election his supporters make signs and go on interviews saying that they don't think the opinion of the people is important, and they fully support the presidential candidate making all the decisions. The candidate keeps quiet. Eventually former presidents come forward to point out how disconnected this thinking is from reality and how dangerously close it is to supporting a dictator.

Would you keep the faith, and just ignore what is becoming more and more apparent?

XMR would be better off doing comparison with SDC...DASH has left the 'Anon coin' space already, it's now about instant fungible transactions, hence the price rise.  I think it's fantasy to compare the 2 at this stage or expect DRK dev's to down there tools and get into a troll argument designed to let XMR try to catch up to DRK since it sped off...which is all this thread is really IMO.
G2M
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Activity: 616
March 29, 2015, 05:30:19 PM
It seems like all that's happening here now is the monero supporters are correcting the dash supporters on the lies and inaccurate statements they constantly make. Wow...

From my point of view we have a lot of potshots, market manipulation hearsay, ad hominem attacks, irrelevant discussion about whether cryptocurrencies contain cryptography and all sorts of other crap.

Still missing are answers to some critical technical questions and any conclusion on whether the coins are fit-for-purpose.

I just tried to answer it for you, in the post where I deanonymized my own transaction by taking note of the unique number of denominated inputs and outputs I created when I used darksend.

If that were to be a standard way of viewing the blockchain, then the transaction can be associated with the original receiving address.

If that receiving address was from a dice site (just an example), and I wanted to sell for USD, the USD seller could complete the sale or not based on that information alone. I could also be taxed on that information.

The fact that I could be taxed, yet possibly have no way to sell that DRK (I think coinbase just gives you some time to withdraw it, in bitcoins case), would create a situation where DRK is worth something to some people, yet worth nothing to others. Therefore by extension, could have large implications for fungibility.
March 29, 2015, 05:25:52 PM

March 29, 2015, 05:24:17 PM
It seems like all that's happening here now is the monero supporters are correcting the dash supporters on the lies and inaccurate statements they constantly make. Wow...

From my point of view we have a lot of potshots, market manipulation hearsay, ad hominem attacks, irrelevant discussion about whether cryptocurrencies contain cryptography and all sorts of other crap.

Still missing are answers to some critical technical questions and any conclusion on whether the coins are fit-for-purpose.
March 29, 2015, 05:21:50 PM
Deborah...that's not fair because I didn't see that post..i will reply now

Lol go make a run for your dash, I can almost see the "reply", the fact is you just ignored gmaxwell (the creator of coinjoin that darkcoin/dash con artists slammed into a btc clone, and shitted on with an instamed) post like dash shills does with other inconvenient facts.

^ no, i didnt read it lol. reply above
March 29, 2015, 05:19:37 PM
Tok said cryptography 'wasn't a significant part' of cryptocurrencies.  He didn't say they don't require them, so what was your point?

the dev team, the website, any part of the wallet not doing a cryptographic function, the buyers, the masternode operators, the network transport, whatever isn't going into a cryptographic function.

...but i see what you mean.  (I think) Tok was coming from a business point of view to try to rebalance the fact that on the XMR thread devs like Fluffy keep banging on about XMR is secure due to cryptographic proof and even sites examples like Tor and SSH - which forgets the other half of cryptocurrency security which is the implementation (heartbleed etc)

March 29, 2015, 05:17:15 PM

March 29, 2015, 05:16:06 PM

Cryptography has never been a significant part of cryptocurrency - even though it may share the first few letters. It works on a system of digital signatures.
It would seem that you actually do not understand what cryptography is in the modern sense.

A fundamental nature of information is that it wants to be freely copied everywhere to everyone. That any bit is equal and indistinguishable from any other bit of the same value and that any bit is eventually known to all who care.  Cryptography is all that technology by which we hope to confine and constrain the nature of information, to put up fences and direct it to our exclusive purposes, against all attacks and in defiance of the seemingly (and perhaps actually) impossible.  Digital signatures are cryptography by any modern definition and utilize the same tools and techniques (for example, a DSA signature is a linear equation encrypted with an additively homorphic encryption), and suffer from most of the same challenges as the message encryption systems to which you seem to be incorrectly defining cryptography as equivalent.  Moreover, the use of digital signatures isn't the only (or even most relevant) aspect of cryptography in cryptocurrencies-- e.g. the prevention of double spending of otherwise perfectly copyable and indistinguishable information in a decentralized system is a cryptographic problem which we address using cryptographic tools, and-- like all other practical cryptography-- achieve far less than perfect confidence in our solution. As are more modest ends like interacting with strangers but not being subject to resource exhaustion from them.

Far more so than other sub-fields of engineering, cryptographic systems are doing something which is fundamentally at odds with nature and share an incredible fragility and subtly as a result (and perhaps all are failures, we have no proof otherwise).

A failure to understand and respect these considerations has resulted in a lot of harmful garbage and dysfunctional software.

I had been quietly amassing a little pile of Dash, but these two responses have crystalized the debate for me. BlockaFett got asked a question by a highly respected Bitcoin researcher and he is too afraid to answer, choosing instead to deflect and try point out Monero's failings (especially when the continuous shout of 'gui' is crap, I can see several options on the Monero website). toknormal got smacked down by a Bitcoin core developer for saying things I can only describe as childish rubbish.

I don't know if I'll ever buy Monero but I do know that Dash is perfectly described by gmaxwell in the post above: a lot of harmful garbage and dysfunctional software. My Dash is going to be sold over the next few days. I refuse to a cryptocurrency where the fanboys imagine that cryptography is uneccessary. What a stupid thing to say.

I suggest the Dash boys go read a book on crypto before they come back to this thread. They're embarassing themselves and they're embarrasing Evan Duffield. There's a very, very small chance Evan can come into this thread and respond to andytoshi and gmaxwell and redeem Dash from the mess these idiots have made...but I'm not holding my breath.

Deborah...that's not fair because I didn't see that post..i will reply now
March 29, 2015, 05:13:56 PM

Cryptography has never been a significant part of cryptocurrency - even though it may share the first few letters. It works on a system of digital signatures.
It would seem that you actually do not understand what cryptography is in the modern sense.

A fundamental nature of information is that it wants to be freely copied everywhere to everyone. That any bit is equal and indistinguishable from any other bit of the same value and that any bit is eventually known to all who care.  Cryptography is all that technology by which we hope to confine and constrain the nature of information, to put up fences and direct it to our exclusive purposes, against all attacks and in defiance of the seemingly (and perhaps actually) impossible.  Digital signatures are cryptography by any modern definition and utilize the same tools and techniques (for example, a DSA signature is a linear equation encrypted with an additively homorphic encryption), and suffer from most of the same challenges as the message encryption systems to which you seem to be incorrectly defining cryptography as equivalent.  Moreover, the use of digital signatures isn't the only (or even most relevant) aspect of cryptography in cryptocurrencies-- e.g. the prevention of double spending of otherwise perfectly copyable and indistinguishable information in a decentralized system is a cryptographic problem which we address using cryptographic tools, and-- like all other practical cryptography-- achieve far less than perfect confidence in our solution. As are more modest ends like interacting with strangers but not being subject to resource exhaustion from them.

Far more so than other sub-fields of engineering, cryptographic systems are doing something which is fundamentally at odds with nature and share an incredible fragility and subtly as a result (and perhaps all are failures, we have no proof otherwise).

A failure to understand and respect these considerations has resulted in a lot of harmful garbage and dysfunctional software.

I had been quietly amassing a little pile of Dash, but these two responses have crystalized the debate for me. BlockaFett got asked a question by a highly respected Bitcoin researcher and he is too afraid to answer, choosing instead to deflect and try point out Monero's failings (especially when the continuous shout of 'gui' is crap, I can see several options on the Monero website). toknormal got smacked down by a Bitcoin core developer for saying things I can only describe as childish rubbish.

I don't know if I'll ever buy Monero but I do know that Dash is perfectly described by gmaxwell in the post above: a lot of harmful garbage and dysfunctional software. My Dash is going to be sold over the next few days. I refuse to a cryptocurrency where the fanboys imagine that cryptography is uneccessary. What a stupid thing to say.

I suggest the Dash boys go read a book on crypto before they come back to this thread. They're embarassing themselves and they're embarrasing Evan Duffield. There's a very, very small chance Evan can come into this thread and respond to andytoshi and gmaxwell and redeem Dash from the mess these idiots have made...but I'm not holding my breath.
Activity: 504
eidoo wallet
March 29, 2015, 05:11:10 PM

You also seem the confuse the fact that not of all Dash's coins are available on market, more than 50% of all Dash/DRKs are stuck in masternodes.

They are not 'stuck' there any more than my Euros are 'stuck' in my bank account earning interest (or 'paying interest' if your in the wrong country).

They can be moved to market just as easily as any other coin can. The fact that some parts of the Dash money supply can earn interest through supporting the network is by design.

So according to that logic, all of Bitcoin's 3rd party wallets(Of which some are really beautiful, Multibit, Electrum, Armory etc), also show that having a wallet isn't enough of a "priority"?. The success of a system isn't just what the developers do, especially in an open-source environment, it's what the community does as well.

Well, true, but it would be good if the developers did 'something'.

I'm not even sure if there are any Monero developers and if there are I sure have no clue what they do (other than scurrying all over bitcointalk and reddit for hours a day bashing Dash and defaming it's def who's probably one of the most creative and productive people in this industry).

By stuck you know that it means it's not on the market available to trade. No matter how easy it can become "un-stuck" is irrelevant.

Throughout the time Monero's been in existence, the developers have been working on it with little compensation, they have research labs, they study before implmenting changes. Unlike Dash where Evan adds anything in an effort to hype and pump the coin. Don't say otherwise because I experienced it firsthand, anyone else can go in the Dash thread for a few months and see that's what's happening.

I also this odd:" Why dont you go and ask Evan/Dash developer why he didn't relaunch Dash/DRK after the instamine scam where he and a few others mined over 2million Dash/DRKs on a linux only release, then cut the block reward and coin supply by over half to instantly make those instamined coins more valuable, all while at that time, Dash/DRK had no future goals was just a random Bitcoin clone? You should maybe do that instead of trolling."

how much $ did you loose buy dumping DRK for XMR?  and losing those $ didn't make you angry to come and troll DRK now that it's the top alt coin and you picked the wrong coin? c'mon....

I have lost $0, how much gained is not your "business". As I said earlier I still hold Dash/DRK, but I value it with having no "longterm" success, so it's only for semi-regular trading.
March 29, 2015, 05:10:24 PM

You also seem the confuse the fact that not of all Dash's coins are available on market, more than 50% of all Dash/DRKs are stuck in masternodes.

They are not 'stuck' there any more than my Euros are 'stuck' in my bank account earning interest (or 'paying interest' if your in the wrong country).

They can be moved to market just as easily as any other coin can. The fact that some parts of the Dash money supply can earn interest through supporting the network is by design.

So according to that logic, all of Bitcoin's 3rd party wallets(Of which some are really beautiful, Multibit, Electrum, Armory etc), also show that having a wallet isn't enough of a "priority"?. The success of a system isn't just what the developers do, especially in an open-source environment, it's what the community does as well.

I'm not even sure if there are any Monero developers and if there are I sure have no clue what they do (other than scurrying all over bitcointalk and reddit for hours a day bashing Dash and defaming it's def who's probably one of the most creative and productive people in this industry).

Throughout the time Monero's been in existence, the developers have been working on it with little compensation, they have research labs, they study before implmenting changes. Unlike Dash where Evan adds anything in an effort to hype and pump the coin. Don't say otherwise because I experienced it firsthand, anyone else can go in the Dash thread for a few months and see that's what's happening.

I also this odd:" Why dont you go and ask Evan/Dash developer why he didn't relaunch Dash/DRK after the instamine scam where he and a few others mined over 2million Dash/DRKs on a linux only release, then cut the block reward and coin supply by over half to instantly make those instamined coins more valuable, all while at that time, Dash/DRK had no future goals was just a random Bitcoin clone? You should maybe do that instead of trolling."

how much $ did you loose buy dumping DRK for XMR?  and losing those $ didn't make you angry to come and troll DRK now that it's the top alt coin and you picked the wrong coin? c'mon....
G2M
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Activity: 616
March 29, 2015, 05:09:47 PM
G2M - that was a really great post, thank you.

Well he assumed that masternodes are sending and receiving coins, which isn't the case. I didn't try to read and understand the rest of the post because it was built on false premise.
I assure you it isn't time wasted, as the premise of the argument was not 'whether or not masternodes are compromised', it was 'whether or not the transaction was traceable given the ability to compromise private keys'.

The transaction was traced from my send to address to my send from address, regardless.

Really, if you're going to even waste time responding to me at least read the post. Ya just gotta keep up man.

Also, I copied and pasted it in there, so about the part where I said bam I made a big bold edit. Sorry.

ADD: I deanonymized my transaction based on the unique number of denominated inputs in the transaction. That's sure to mean something.
eidoo wallet
March 29, 2015, 05:07:41 PM

Throughout the time Monero's been in existence, the developers have been working on it with little compensation, they have research labs, they study before implmenting changes, which is how things are supposed to advance. Unlike Dash where Evan adds anything in an effort to hype and pump the coin(Which led to various forks, rollbacks, and just utter chaos) in the network. Don't say otherwise because I experienced it firsthand, anyone else can go in the Dash thread for a few months and see that's what's happening.

I also find this odd: " Why dont you go and ask Evan/Dash developer why he didn't relaunch Dash/DRK after the instamine scam where he and a few others mined over 2million Dash/DRKs on a linux only release, then cut the block reward and coin supply by over half to instantly make those instamined coins more valuable, all while at that time, Dash/DRK had no future goals was just a random Bitcoin clone? You should maybe do that instead of trolling."
March 29, 2015, 05:06:44 PM

The thread seems to be losing the plot. If we can stop all the potshots and compare the coins' technical features in a reasonable fashion we might get somewhere.
eidoo wallet
March 29, 2015, 05:04:35 PM
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188
March 29, 2015, 05:03:09 PM

March 29, 2015, 05:02:39 PM

(again, not trolling - this should be a BIG RED FLAG. but i feel like I am probably banging my head against a brick wall again...)

i believe the feeling is mutual.

and I won't go through the effort to post a pic that indicates that 72% of DASH market activity is on Cryptsy, because the market valuation of a technology has nothing to do with its ability to achieve its goals...

oh wait except that with DRK that is the case because as the valuation increases it becomes impossible for new masternodes to pop up, and in the event of a flash crash, individuals could be convinced to cash out.

guys, Dash volume is spread over all the big exchanges.  You cannot manipulate the DASH price using one exchange.   XMR price is set daily by Poloniex and that's it - big exchanges volume is 0.  Poloniex is controlling the XMR price 100%, and who is controlling that?
Pages:
Jump to: