Pages:
Author

Topic: XMR vs DRK - page 61. (Read 69755 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
March 24, 2015, 10:50:00 PM
2. I haven't spent oodles of time analysing MN trafficgrams, but again - layering it behind Tor will lead to a massively degraded experience. I also fail to see how mobile clients will be able to (easily) connect to Tor and then to MasterNodes, I think you're just creating an ever-more-complex design to fix flaws that only exist because of poor design decisions. Complexity doesn't fix bad design, it only makes it more fragile:)

Tor and I2P have been suggested quite vocally earlier, even to the point that the whole network would be ran under Tor/I2P (i.e. they would be built into the wallet). I've heard I2P would perform better?

I2p can send connectionless data, so it is better suited and would likely perform better yes, but these systems are of kind of questionable value (that doesn't mean no value, it means the value is difficult to know). On the other hand, Tor probably has far more more users (higher anonymity set) and a wider variety of use cases in practice, so that is a tradeoff. Both are susceptible to various forms of traffic analysis, MITM, etc.

Better in my opinion to use a trustless privacy scheme, and rely as little as possible on yet another third party layer that might be compromised. With Monero the amount of information that leaks even if network traffic is completely compromised is quite small. I commented further here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10790082

What about a lot of users not having DOS.  Are they going to be able to use Monero in the future?

Even your grandma can with mymonero.com, even on her mobilephone. We have 4 other guis, all as easy as Darkcoins bitcoin-qt rippoff. You could just stop beeing narrow minded, life would be so much better. FYI commandline has nothing to do with DOS, i recommend you to visit a basic workshop on how to use a pc.

"to succed in the attack, an event whose probability is considered to be neglible" - sry like said im not a math guru, perhaps im wrong, but how could that be something valid proven. dunno if it was you or smooth but someone of you moneroguys liked to say over and over again that the anonymity of darksend has not been proven.

Read the MRL's unter lab.monero.cc; if you don't get the math i can't help you.
And yes you are wrong.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
March 24, 2015, 10:48:11 PM
2. I haven't spent oodles of time analysing MN trafficgrams, but again - layering it behind Tor will lead to a massively degraded experience. I also fail to see how mobile clients will be able to (easily) connect to Tor and then to MasterNodes, I think you're just creating an ever-more-complex design to fix flaws that only exist because of poor design decisions. Complexity doesn't fix bad design, it only makes it more fragile:)

Tor and I2P have been suggested quite vocally earlier, even to the point that the whole network would be ran under Tor/I2P (i.e. they would be built into the wallet). I've heard I2P would perform better?

I2p can send connectionless data, so it is better suited and would likely perform better yes, but these systems are of kind of questionable value (that doesn't mean no value, it means the value is difficult to know). On the other hand, Tor probably has far more more users (higher anonymity set) and a wider variety of use cases in practice, so that is a tradeoff. Both are susceptible to various forms of traffic analysis, MITM, etc.

Better in my opinion to use a trustless privacy scheme, and rely as little as possible on yet another third party layer that might be compromised. With Monero the amount of information that leaks even if network traffic is completely compromised is quite small. I commented further here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10790082

What about a lot of users not having DOS.  Are they going to be able to use Monero in the future?

WTF Huh
Activity: 392
Merit: 255
March 24, 2015, 10:41:37 PM

Activity: 371
Merit: 250
March 24, 2015, 10:40:15 PM
legendary
March 24, 2015, 10:33:59 PM

Activity: 219
Merit: 100
March 24, 2015, 10:24:39 PM
I actually own both monero and darkcoins. I just find all the shit flinging hilarious actually. Its quite amusing.
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
March 24, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
LOL 5 monero devs here and not 1 darkcoin dev. There was clearly no fucks given by the drk devs!

That's one possible view of the situation. Another possibility could be, that Drk devs know that the critics about their tech is valid , so they refrain from openly acknowledging them.

Go post in the DRK thread that "DRK GAVE ME AIDS" and see if they respond. If they don't, could it be they think it's a valid criticism?

Imagine for a moment that the marketcaps were the otherway around. If XMR would have 7x 5x the marketcap of DRK, would there still be as much support for DRK ?(Please don't answer to this question, it's meant to be rhetorical)

Then it would be DRK fanboys trying to ride on XMR's coattails. Only natural.
March 24, 2015, 10:16:38 PM
There is so "slander" as my statements are true and all backed up by factual references. BTW, if you write a post accusing someone of slander when there is no slander, that is libel. Unless you want to continue doing that, you should stop. And again, this isn't a business, it is public criticism and debate about open source projects.

I'm not sure but I suspect anonymous screennames on internet forums can be defamed with impunity.
March 24, 2015, 10:13:45 PM

March 24, 2015, 10:09:12 PM
I'm off to bed. This has been a very enlightening discussion - I'm sorry that the few interested in a level-headed discussion had to try read around bickering and meaningless personal attacks. I'll be in Germany and other parts of Europe in May, so if anyone wants to discuss this more thoroughly feel free to come through to the little Monero gathering we'll have in Berlin on May 24th and we can put it down as a talking point.

One last thing before I go sleep. I hold nothing against those that think Darkcoin has potential because they lack the knowledge to be able to see what I see, so please don't take things I say as some sort of personal affront. I don't know Evan personally or professionally, so I am unable to speak to his person, so I can only infer by observation, and things like his handling of the first 48 hours of DarkCoin and his subsequent design decisions are extremely disconcerting.

This sort of architecture designed around fundamentally flawed thinking (eg. thinking of transactions as a flow between nodes instead of thinking in terms of inputs and outputs) is extremely common among altcoins, so I don't expect it to change, but Darkcoin is different. Any other altcoin making idiotic design changes that are shoehorned into a consensus model would be "just another altcoin", but because people are using Darkcoin expecting a reasonable measure of anonymity it has vast consequences if that anonymity is poorly designed or broken by design. Seeing the voracity around it reminds of the last episode of Black Mirror season 2 - I can only hope that this is not what has happened to Darkcoin on the back:

Anyway. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Have fun in Europe. Vacation? 
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
March 24, 2015, 10:05:20 PM
I'm off to bed. This has been a very enlightening discussion - I'm sorry that the few interested in a level-headed discussion had to try read around bickering and meaningless personal attacks. I'll be in Germany and other parts of Europe in May, so if anyone wants to discuss this more thoroughly feel free to come through to the little Monero gathering we'll have in Berlin on May 24th and we can put it down as a talking point.

One last thing before I go sleep. I hold nothing against those that think Darkcoin has potential because they lack the knowledge to be able to see what I see, so please don't take things I say as some sort of personal affront. I don't know Evan personally or professionally, so I am unable to speak to his person, so I can only infer by observation, and things like his handling of the first 48 hours of DarkCoin and his subsequent design decisions are extremely disconcerting.

This sort of architecture designed around fundamentally flawed thinking (eg. thinking of transactions as a flow between nodes instead of thinking in terms of inputs and outputs) is extremely common among altcoins, so I don't expect it to change, but Darkcoin is different. Any other altcoin making idiotic design changes that are shoehorned into a consensus model would be "just another altcoin", but because people are using Darkcoin expecting a reasonable measure of anonymity it has vast consequences if that anonymity is poorly designed or broken by design. Seeing the voracity around it reminds of the last episode of Black Mirror season 2 - I can only hope that this is not what has happened to Darkcoin on the back:

Anyway. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
donator
March 24, 2015, 10:04:54 PM
1. I miss the point where running a MN facilitates illegal activities. You are just providing the service of obfuscating the coins and broadcasting the instantXs. You are not responsible of how the coins are gonna be spent. Also, coins get mixed WITHIN the wallet, they don't flow through the MNs and come back to your wallet, so, no money laundering involved. It looks like me that running a MN is the same of running a tor node.

2. I do not have acknowledge on the latency issue, but I remember a guy that was pretty sure, on the subject, that a latency of 50ms was not a huge deal. Claiming that only the first connection would have took 1 or 2 seconds (assuming they are connected 24/7), but after that all data transfer would be almost instant.

1. The distinction is because there is money involved. As I mentioned, it doesn't have to involve criminal investigations for facilitating purchases at all, they may find it most effective to use the SEC or FinCEN to strong-arm operators into cooperating with investigations (silently, through gag orders).

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
March 24, 2015, 09:57:39 PM
1. How is running a MN different from running a tor or a bitcoin node?
2. A MN uses around 500MB in and 500MB out per days, that's 5.7 kb/s. Tor would handle it with no slowing down.

1. VASTLY different. The incentives are what takes us into FinCEN / SEC territory. There's also a very big difference between being paid to facilitate illegal activities (which gives LEA so much leverage against you using tax laws etc.) vs. unknowingly or unwittingly facilitating it (eg. running a Tor / i2p router)

2. Latency is the issue, and the reason that Tor works well against DoS attacks is because it purposely slows routing down (also to prevent timing attacks). Moving all the MNs behind Tor is a commendable attempt, but ultimately futile in that it restricts the level of functionality available (eg. imagine InstantX transactions taking 10-20 seconds because of routing failures).

Also just to clarify, in case there was any doubt, these are hypotheticals. I'm not stating that MNs definitely do require an MSB license, just that it appears on the face of it that they do, or that they are at least going to be up against the wall on income tax. Similarly, I'm not saying that routing InstantX transactions on Tor would definitely take 20 seconds each time, just that my thumb-sucked paper-napkin calculations indicate something in that bracket.

1. I miss the point where running a MN facilitates illegal activities. You are just providing the service of obfuscating the coins and broadcasting the instantXs. You are not responsible of how the coins are gonna be spent. Also, coins get mixed WITHIN the wallet, they don't flow through the MNs and come back to your wallet, so, no money laundering involved. It looks like me that running a MN is the same of running a tor node.

2. I do not have acknowledge on the latency issue, but I remember a guy that was pretty sure, on the subject, that a latency of 50ms was not a huge deal. Claiming that only the first connection would have took 1 or 2 seconds (assuming they are connected 24/7), but after that all data transfer would be almost instant.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
March 24, 2015, 09:50:02 PM
sorry, i didn't see you are a Monero dev.  It's just another vague accusation without a) links b) references c) any facts d) tries to divert the reader without answering the question.  My bad!  Undecided
Ad hominem. Now you shall move to the next step, ad personam (as for accusations, I already replied).

OK, session ended for me, it was fun too read, also a bit repetitive. I think I won't watch the next season.
legendary
March 24, 2015, 09:48:26 PM
sure, you are trying to retract from making this implied threat of legal action against me:

if you write a post accusing someone of slander when there is no slander, that is libel. Unless you want to continue doing that, you should stop

unfortunately you typed it already  Undecided

EDIT: even how you selectively snip out anything that might put you in a bad light, you are a classic scammer lol

"Implied" threat is your imagination, or perhaps guilty conscience. There was no threat.

there isn't a lawyer on the planet that would say that that wasn't an implied legal threat, so you obviously no nothing about lawyers Wink

You mean the same lawyers who would say you falsely accused me of slander for factually true written statements?
March 24, 2015, 09:46:39 PM
sure, you are trying to retract from making this implied threat of legal action against me:

if you write a post accusing someone of slander when there is no slander, that is libel. Unless you want to continue doing that, you should stop

EDIT: even how you selectively snip out anything that might put you in a bad light, you are a classic scammer lol

"Implied" threat is your imagination, or perhaps guilty conscience. There was no threat.

there isn't a lawyer on the planet that would say that that wasn't an implied legal threat, so you obviously no nothing about lawyers Wink
donator
March 24, 2015, 09:45:00 PM
1. How is running a MN different from running a tor or a bitcoin node?
2. A MN uses around 500MB in and 500MB out per days, that's 5.7 kb/s. Tor would handle it with no slowing down.

1. VASTLY different. The incentives are what takes us into FinCEN / SEC territory. There's also a very big difference between being paid to facilitate illegal activities (which gives LEA so much leverage against you using tax laws etc.) vs. unknowingly or unwittingly facilitating it (eg. running a Tor / i2p router)

2. Latency is the issue, and the reason that Tor works well against DoS attacks is because it purposely slows routing down (also to prevent timing attacks). Moving all the MNs behind Tor is a commendable attempt, but ultimately futile in that it restricts the level of functionality available (eg. imagine InstantX transactions taking 10-20 seconds because of routing failures).

Also just to clarify, in case there was any doubt, these are hypotheticals. I'm not stating that MNs definitely do require an MSB license, just that it appears on the face of it that they do, or that they are at least going to be up against the wall on income tax. Similarly, I'm not saying that routing InstantX transactions on Tor would definitely take 20 seconds each time, just that my thumb-sucked paper-napkin calculations indicate something in that bracket.
legendary
March 24, 2015, 09:44:24 PM

unfortunately you typed it already  Undecided

Also, I'm not Alex Greene and I've committed no relevant or significant criminal acts such as say, stealing a lot of people's money (I exclude the normal "crimes" most everyone commit as a consequence of ambiguous laws and other overcriminalization) You're out of line and ridiculous suggesting a connection or similarity.

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
March 24, 2015, 09:41:41 PM
We should have more of these discussions. The Darkcoin price is up around 75 cents after a few days of people accelerating their pointing out of the instamine. Maybe people agree with my assertion that an instamine is actually a positive quality.
March 24, 2015, 09:40:36 PM
The biggest problem with Monero is that it's being lead by people with zero business sense.

If it were a business your opinion on the matter of our "business sense" might count for something, but it isn't and it isn't trying to be one either. You might reconsider your statement in light of that. I have a pretty good idea you have no clue what you are talking about.

are you not trying to compete in a space where big business is increasingly present....some business smarts would count for something, surely?

I think you are digging yourself into a hole (more like a bottomless pit) if you think there are no "business smarts" on the Monero team.

There is a huge difference between that and suggesting that an open source project be treated as a business rather than an open process including engagement with the broader community (not just true believers) and being not only open to but participating in public criticism and debate. That's way too much like sausage making for most businesses (e.g Starbucks withdrawing from social media recently), but it's how open source works.

i nearly fell asleep halfway through your paragraph. which coupled with how you broke the first rule in business 'never be seen to slander the competition' suggests that he has a point.

There is so "slander" as my statements are true and all backed up by factual references. BTW, if you write a post accusing someone of slander when there is no slander, that is libel. Unless you want to continue doing that, you should stop. And again, this isn't a business, it is public criticism and debate about open source projects.

wow - legal threats now?

No, you'll notice I made a suggestion not a treat. Yet, again, though, you falsely accuse me of making a threat.

Carry on.

here is the text you snipped from my post above whilst leaving the others:

[wow - legal threats now?]  You have the exact M.O. of a scammer in every sense of the word.   Check my sig and read about Alex Green, he just talked marketing BS all day, did no work, and always threw legal threats around every time anyone got close to his massive BS marketing scam just like you too.  How's that?
Pages:
Jump to: