Pages:
Author

Topic: Your merit will find you! - page 2. (Read 738 times)

Activity: 1428
Merit: 931
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
December 16, 2020, 06:06:03 AM
The Merit System does have many flaws, but it is potentially way less biased than having a single person having to decide if a given account’s rank-up.
<...>

Accounts rank-up should be handled by artificial intelligence. Judging by the amount of posts currently on the forum, I believe it would be possible to set up a machine learning algorithm to assess the quality of each individual member. For example, we have members who write 99% of their posts in bounty sections. Their activity on the forum should not have any impact on rank-up, IMHO.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
December 16, 2020, 05:21:31 AM
<…> Here is my suggestion:
On a weekly basis, moderators can check how many posts ( non spam) a user has posted and rank them higher based on post ( no spam) count.
Ranks, as we know, have the Activity component. Even if that counter were to be solely taken into account (alongside your mod suggestion), checking every account every week would be pointless, since an account only postulates to change rank when a given Activity threshold is surpassed. Therefore, to be more efficient, the revision would have to be performed just when the account met the Activity required for his next rank (as opposed to every week; bear in mind that, currently, roughly 56k posts are created of the forum per week).

Fine, let’s continue. A moderator, who probably has a busy window to deal with reports, would also need to set time aside to go over a whole load of posts for a potential new-rank-to-be type account, and decide, as per his own and singularly unique criteria, if a postulating account ranks-up or not. If he doesn’t, then there is all the related drama that is foreseeable, coming as a tidal wave to Meta. When the account keeps posting, and reaches the next rank potentially as per his new Activity, could he actually postulate now, having being rejected on the prior rank?

It’s a lot more complicated than it seems, and it centralizes the ranking-up process way more. The Merit System does have many flaws, but it is potentially way less biased than having a single person having to decide if a given account’s rank-up. And that is not even considering the mod time factor, which is currently diluted amongst a bunch of volunteer (or such) people awarding this Merit thingy in their free time.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
December 15, 2020, 07:52:54 PM
Current Merit system works same as 'Rich gets richer and Poor gets poorer'. ( IMHO)
In my opinion, there is no perfect system but you have to admit that before the merit system the situation had gotten out of hand with people trying to rank up by literally spaming every part of the forum. Yes, certain good posts are being ignored and other, maybe less deserving posts, are getting more merits but it's better than the previous system.
I tend to agree, this is how the merit system works, to eliminate and filtering newbies to rank up if they are here just to keep spamming.  I think the requirement of a newbie to rank up in Jr. Member rank is just to earn single merit, just 1 merit need to earn.  By that stage, if you didn't even get single merit within a week or let say a month, you're just literally not contributing to the forum. 

We should be thankful for the merit system that has been implemented, there's no account farming and spamming in the forum.  Everyone does their best and contributing to the forum and hoping that one-day merit sources or any merit sender will find their constructive post.

In my own experienced, yes, I'm poor and had a bad English writing skill, IMHO, the merit system helped me to improved myself and motivated me to push and do research before dropping a relevant post with correct information and willing to accept mistakes if there is.  Your merit will find you if are doing a constructive and helpful post.
Activity: 686
Merit: 125
December 15, 2020, 07:21:51 PM
In my opinion, there is no perfect system but you have to admit that before the merit system the situation had gotten out of hand with people trying to rank up by literally spaming every part of the forum. Yes, certain good posts are being ignored and other, maybe less deserving posts, are getting more merits but it's better than the previous system.
Merit system is effective in my opinion. I even rank up after shitposting in the forum before as a new member. However, after some time that I can participate in a good discussion this somehow I start to do some research especially on how to contribute in the forum. Luckily I was able to rank up. My only problem is that when you go to next rank you need to be patience because it will take some time before it could be reach depending also on how good you are in contributing the forum and earning merit.
Activity: 966
Merit: 31
December 15, 2020, 06:31:48 PM
To be brutally honest, This 'merit' system is completely flawed!( IMHO)

I can provide thousands of very helpful posts by some users without any merit given to them. On the other hand someone with lot of merits, gets merit for posting any useless posts from their fellow forum friends. I am shocked and saddened when I see a user doesn't get any merit for posting an initial thread, but someone gets merit for simply replying to that thread even if they simply replies  such as 'yes it's correct or I agree in this point bla bla'.

Moreover, 'Useful' is a relative term. What is useful to some one may not be same to others. 

Current Merit system works same as 'Rich gets richer and Poor gets poorer'. ( IMHO)

When a newbie joins  the forum all they are told 'You need to make yourself useful to earn merit'. This a vague statement.

Here is my suggestion:

On a weekly basis, moderators can check how many posts ( non spam) a user has posted and rank them higher based on post ( no spam) count.
Activity: 1428
Merit: 931
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
December 14, 2020, 05:26:51 PM
Here is my suggestion:

This is a good suggestion, but I think it would put too much workload on the moderators. And they've got their hands full by fighting spammers and ban evaders.
I believe that the Merit system was meant to be as decentralized as possible, just as is the case with Bitcoin.
Activity: 401
Merit: 108
December 14, 2020, 01:39:56 PM
To be brutally honest, This 'merit' system is completely flawed!( IMHO)

I can provide thousands of very helpful posts by some users without any merit given to them. On the other hand someone with lot of merits, gets merit for posting any useless posts from their fellow forum friends. I am shocked and saddened when I see a user doesn't get any merit for posting an initial thread, but someone gets merit for simply replying to that thread even if they simply replies  such as 'yes it's correct or I agree in this point bla bla'.

Moreover, 'Useful' is a relative term. What is useful to some one may not be same to others. 

When a newbie joins  the forum all they are told 'You need to make yourself useful to earn merit'. This a vague statement.

Here is my suggestion:

legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273
December 14, 2020, 01:16:12 PM
I think they are being given "false advices" by some people or even newbies themselves, maybe the ones who bring them here - setting a formula, a plan that they execute simply to get merits. Some newbies will come here and say "Hey you, you're already a Legendary so you won't understand the struggle of a newbie". TBH, I do understand them because I myself don't get too much merits but I'm fine with it, I don't write for merits and so I don't expect them (has no relation to what my rank is). New people nowadays have stopped checking the old threads and represent the already answered question in such a fashionable way that they either get merits or even if they don't, their threads are flooded with extremely non-sense replies later after the first ones where they have already found their answers.
legendary
December 14, 2020, 12:52:51 PM
<…>
Activity is, in its simplified form (there are some additional complexities that need not be brought up now), derived from the number of posts you make within each 2 week window, with a max. of 14 per window.

A person with 1K activity could have generated all/part/some of that Activity before the Merit System kicked-off, and therefore a bunch of his posts would typically not have postulated to being merited. More typically though, you’ll find that such 1K Activity 0 Merit type accounts are busy bounty hunting, and the derived posts are therefore not merit worthy.

I doubt you'd find many accounts created after the Merit System kick-off ,with 1K Activity and 0 Merits, that do not fall into the bounty hunter spectrum.
Activity: 406
Merit: 14
December 14, 2020, 12:44:28 PM
That's true, you can make a good post today and get merit some weeks later or even months, quality posts will never go unnoticed, people are too focused on making more merit and creating unnecessary posts and topics in return, making contributions and keep focusing on that will eventually rank you up faster, don't keep your mind on how to make merits but focus on contributing and helping those that lacks behind.
Activity: 2002
Merit: 633
Your keys, your responsibility
December 14, 2020, 12:34:44 PM
I just shared my experience which I got. If these are boring so soon I will start the good topics.
Oh no, so far I see you've created 12 topics some of which you've left out.

You should at least be the most active in discussing the threads that you make yourself. I understand that the 8 merits you've earned are from your new topics and maybe that's what you think is a good opportunity, but you need to know that creating many topics is also a little annoying for some members (including me) and they'll tend to ignore you.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174
Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator
December 14, 2020, 12:27:11 PM
I am quite soft for newbies about sending merits. Because once a time I was a newbie and I know how hard it to earn merits. But, its true earning merits isn't too hard for true contributors. When I assume someone hunting merits by creating already discussed topics, then I just skip there from sending merits.

Hello sir I am new hear. I got to know how we get merits but I had seen such account whose account has 1000 activities but it has got 0 merit.
Is this possible to get 0 merit in such big activities. I am little confuse over this point.
Merits aren't related to the activities. Users earning merits based on their contributions. If someone made 1 billion posts on bounty reports, then he shouldn't receive merits for that. Even you can earn merits from a single post if the post is considered useful or constructive. As a merit source, when I send merits for newbies, I just look for a good post. I am not looking for the best post from newbies.
Activity: 176
Merit: 1
December 14, 2020, 11:36:41 AM
actually if we want to increase our rank there are many ways we can do it. first, we open topics of information that can be used as material for discussion, the second we can share what we know to share with others. if our writing can be accounted for, surely the other members can give merit as they like, as far as I know, the two methods are ways to get merit, if something is wrong please correct it. i am still newbie and still learning
legendary
December 13, 2020, 01:38:59 PM
<...>
I looked into that somewhat, but ages ago, so I’m pretty sure that the distribution has changed a fair share since then (see Forum Merited Messages – Does size count? – specifically section number 4). The analysis is from May 2018, not even half a year into the Merit System, so I wouldn’t put too much faith in it’s current validity.

On broader terms, many topics are created by all ranks for all sort of purposes. Obviously, there are many that aim at receiving merits, and a lot of them lack any real substance. The same might, at a different wording scale, apply to many other posts around the forum, that are more campaign quota related, than wanting to really add anything of value. It’s not infrequent to see threads where posts show clearly not having read the prior answers, and therefore swaying the conversation away from a more accurate route.

Merits were introduced to reduce spam, which I figure they have (I was not really around before), but they also lead to the creation of topics which otherwise may not have been created (with all sorts of outcome). Campaigns are though, probably the biggest post creating driver, being merits a stepping stone (occasionally a racing track). It’s a difficult equilibrium all in all …
TGD
Activity: 1288
Merit: 620
Wen Rolex?
December 13, 2020, 01:26:10 PM
Its normal to see many newbie hunting merits since its the only way to rank in the forum besides forum activity. They are the rank that probably the most eager to earn some of it. I'm not expecting too much about there post quality because newbie always a newbie unless they are alt account of some high rank account here.

There's always an ignore button or report to moderator if you find the post as low value. What I'm confused about was how the heck some newbie thread received a merit for a post of a general discussion or something that already recycle. I believe our attention must focus on the user that give the merit rather than the newbie itself.
Activity: 966
Merit: 31
December 13, 2020, 01:14:40 PM
Well, when there is such a system as the merit system, a lot of newbies will try to abuse it to rank up. The smarter ones will do so subtly.

I've been here for years now, I'm old enough to remember a time before the merit system (I know my rank probably doesn't really show that but my activity and posting has never been consistent) and I've seen quite a lot of tricks made by newbies. I even tip my hat to some of them. But most of them are as subtle as an elephant  Cheesy
Activity: 76
Merit: 23
December 13, 2020, 01:09:10 PM
I have nothing against you. In fact, I am one of the user from many who believes in newbies and always give them the benefit of the doubt. However, what you are doing is not looking right. Please do not consider us a fool.  Do not pretend, if you have nothing to post then you really do not need to.

You do not need a friend, you do not need a God Father, if you are genuinely interested in Bitcoin and the community then study bitcoin and it's network. Learn the technology, learn the concept. Onec you go deeper and deeper you will find yourself having questions and answers. Create posts which are constructive but not cheesy and boring type of merit fishing. You will find people around you.

I just need that kind of guidelines. I don't want the merits do you want I will give you all my sMerits. I am trying learning going deeply want more information about cryptocurrencies world. Therefore giving time to the forum. I just shared my experience which I got. If these are boring so soon I will start the good topics.

And thanks for the suggestion that you said that go deeply. I will try to my best.
I will learn research and than ask and get knowledge.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1189
Need Campaign Manager?PM on telegram @sujonali1819
December 13, 2020, 11:49:22 AM
We always know a lot of new crypto lovers come to this forum and grow the family greater there is no doubt. But they should be real newbies Smiley
So basically the people who create such topics their main motive is hunting atleast a merit. It's normal though because we all love to earn merits. But most of the cases these newbies are not real and when they lost their first id anyway ( banned or tagged) they try to recover again and try to grow them from beginning.

I have no problem if it was done by a real newbie because I know about me when i was newbie here, but I am against them who are not real and come again and again with new accounts.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
December 13, 2020, 11:46:38 AM
I didn’t mean that. I mean merit the OP (Opening Post) vs merit in replies. That would make sense why most newbie create threads. As thread/opening post receive more merits than normal replies, they tend to create more thread.
I don't think so.
  • Quality topics help you earn more merit than quality posts. I see this point because topics are hardly to be covered by others. With posts, old posts will be covered by other posts.
  • Shit topics don't hep you earn a single merit or if earn some, there will no significant difference with shit posts.
  • It is general picture but for some knowledgeable users like o_e_l_e_o who does not need to create topics to earn thousand of merits
Activity: 1358
Merit: 850
December 13, 2020, 11:39:14 AM
Min and max values are 1 and 61984. The max value belong to Wall Observer thread.
I didn’t mean that. I mean merit the OP (Opening Post) vs merit in replies. That would make sense why most newbie create threads. As thread/opening post receive more merits than normal replies, they tend to create more thread.
Pages:
Jump to: