Author

Topic: . - page 2. (Read 40299 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
October 30, 2012, 07:52:29 AM
* WKWTAD people = People Who Know What They Are Doing

And those people can't use the raw tx API (even with the help of brainwallet.org)?

Even if that is possible, it will be far more convenient (and less time consuming) if it would be integrated in the mainline client.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
October 30, 2012, 06:53:08 AM

And those people can't use the raw tx API (even with the help of brainwallet.org)?
legendary
October 30, 2012, 06:12:18 AM
Certainly I doubt it will ever be a feature that Gavin's grandmother will be asking for. Smiley

Well it's not necessary for normal usage and probably won't be used by 99% Bitcoin users, but it is a very important feature still for the uber-geek/cryptoanarchist/other WKWTAD* people.

--
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
October 30, 2012, 05:21:36 AM
For the more technically savvy the raw tx API (perhaps with help from brainwallet.org) reduces the priority of this feature a lot (as you have been able to do everything you want as far as controlling your coins since 0.7 was released).

For the less technically competent I guess the question is really whether the UI can be made easy enough to make the feature worthwhile implementing (if it's not easily understood then there is probably little point in doing more work on this). Note that I haven't actually tested the patch so have no idea how intuitive the UI is.

Certainly I doubt it will ever be a feature that Gavin's grandmother will be asking for. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
October 30, 2012, 05:07:19 AM
Any updates on the topic ? Is anybody working on it ?
i hope they will update it, or someone pick it up since this is really important!
legendary
October 30, 2012, 04:31:50 AM
Any updates on the topic ? Is anybody working on it ?
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
October 29, 2012, 05:07:42 AM
this is still a problem...
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
October 13, 2012, 07:09:39 PM
multibit with multiple wallets might be an alternative
legendary
October 13, 2012, 06:58:52 PM
Gavin, if we, those who are interested in this function, provide our interest by donations to you or other developer, is there a chance that you will make this patch happen sooner?

+5 BTC

I join the question and pledge 5 BTC if anybody would want to finish it sooner.

Activity: 427
Merit: 250
October 13, 2012, 04:52:08 PM
Gavin, if we, those who are interested in this function, provide our interest by donations to you or other developer, is there a chance that you will make this patch happen sooner?
legendary
September 25, 2012, 05:04:33 PM
Good luck Luke-jr.

However, I think you are probably thrashing a dead horse since both Gavin A. and Jeff G. have indicated they will defend bitcoin's current level of traceability.

Pictures or it never happened.

Of course there are plenty of disadvantages to coin control / sendfromaddress. Above all it makes bitcoin much more of a hassle to use.
But I think we somehow have to deal with this linkability issue. At least people using Bitcoin have to know about it, transparency is very important here. The patch lets people see what bitcoin really is currently.

I don't want Bitcoin to end up like the Royal Canadian Mint's Mintchip marketing vote incident.

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
September 25, 2012, 09:18:15 AM
Yeah, where did I say that?

Oops, edited, I forgot about my "don't feed the trolls" rule.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
September 25, 2012, 01:06:01 AM
Good luck Luke-jr.

However, I think you are probably thrashing a dead horse since both Gavin A. and Jeff G. have indicated they will defend bitcoin's current level of traceability.

And why would they want that ?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
September 25, 2012, 12:36:33 AM
So will I*. But I don't think any of us consider Coin Control to have much to do with traceability. I don't personally care about Coin Control either, which is why I've only been minimally keeping it up to date, not doing the proper maintenance it needs to get merged.

* Not to say there aren't things that could make Bitcoin less traceable for real, that could be accepted for other good reasons.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
September 24, 2012, 08:04:44 PM
Good luck Luke-jr.

Did I miss something, or are you just trolling?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
September 24, 2012, 07:25:55 PM
Good luck Luke-jr.

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
September 24, 2012, 01:12:44 PM
I support this
legendary
September 24, 2012, 10:08:16 AM
Strange things are happening to this useful patch. Author and followers abandon support for it constantly. More than a year has passed, but there is nothing about it in official client, even "experimental" and "for advanced use only". WTF...

P.S. Just my 0.02 btc, nevermind Smiley

Actually i remember reading somewhere that this will be implemented in 0.7.
Am I wrong ?
No, since the author and subsequent maintainer have both abandoned it, there is nobody to address the problems still left unresolved. Until that happens, it will not likely be merged. For the time being, I am keeping it minimally up to date for my next-test branches.
like here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/please-test-if-you-dare-next-and-next-test-2012-08-13-100390

thanks luke!
legendary
July 09, 2012, 03:47:13 AM
I don't think anyone has said it yet, so I'll just point out that this feature is available in the electrum client - you can prioritize addresses that you received at for a payment.  In particular, if you prioritize an address that received more than you're sending, you can be sure that only that address is used for the payment.
interesting...
legendary
July 07, 2012, 07:44:53 PM
Strange things are happening to this useful patch. Author and followers abandon support for it constantly. More than a year has passed, but there is nothing about it in official client, even "experimental" and "for advanced use only". WTF...

P.S. Just my 0.02 btc, nevermind Smiley

Actually i remember reading somewhere that this will be implemented in 0.7.
Am I wrong ?
No (...)

BTW, You just did a double-negative answer which could be understood by me as "yes you are right" Tongue

(Just fooling around here, don't mind me)
Pages:
Jump to: