Author

Topic: . - page 153. (Read 491737 times)

legendary
Activity: 971
Merit: 1000
October 15, 2014, 05:09:29 PM
NHZ and the 'Blocknet' decentralized blockchain ecosystem
First public announcement / paper on 'Blocknet'

http://downloads.xc-official.com/images/14-10-15%20Blocknet%20presentation.pdf

Teams involved:
SSD, XST
LXC, BitSwift
Apex, NHZ
XC, SDC
UTIL

On November 5'th the first 'Decentralized blockchain ecosystem hangout / discussion will take place.'

We will post details about how you can get involved, and where it will be hosted.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 15, 2014, 05:00:31 PM
Awesome...thanks fellas!

I'm higher than I thought I was  Wink
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Bitnation Development Team Member
October 15, 2014, 04:48:09 PM
Man, thank you so much for your kindness in responding with so much detail.  Will check out the link you posted to see if I can figure this out.  I am however trying to setup a "hallmarked node" in order to earn some coins so it is sounding like I do need to setup port forwarding.  Not being real knowledgeable with networking stuff, I am not even sure what the difference is between opening a port, forwarding a port or port triggering.  Actually never heard of port triggering until last night trying to set this up on my router:-)

Thanks again to all that have replied......a most welcoming community!

Important to note that you also need a static external IP address. If you don't, you may never receive a payout as the hallmark is tied to your IP, and has to be detected for over 24 hours straight to be eligible for one. You can rent DigitalOcean droplets for $5 a month that it will run fine on, and they're currently paying a little over that per node at this price I think.

Opening a port is opening it on your router
Forwarding a port is forwarding an open port on your router to your desktop
Triggering a port is something wholly more complex and my advice is to ignore it if you don't fancy jumping down the networking rabbit hole ;-)

Is there a Rich List and/or a block explorer available?

I'm kind of interested to see where I rank.  

New ANN looks great by the way!  

Everything you need can be found here Crypto-in-tha-blood: http://explorer.nhzcrypto.org/

Check the accounts page for the rich list.
Activity: 211
October 15, 2014, 04:47:51 PM
Activity: 140
October 15, 2014, 04:40:25 PM
Is there a Rich List and/or a block explorer available?

I'm kind of interested to see where I rank. 

New ANN looks great by the way! 
legendary
Activity: 1260
October 15, 2014, 04:35:24 PM
Ok, so I just realized after downloading the full wallet, that I do in fact have the wallet.  I thought this was just for running the node and that there was a regular offline wallet, so I can only assume now that my problem is with the port not being opened properly on my router.

This is VERY different than the typical crypto coins out there!

If anyone knows how to open the port on my router, would really appreciate it!

So there is no standard offline wallet in which we can store our coins then correct?

Yeah, there's a lot of confusion with next gen cryptocurrency clients. Something we have to work on over time.

There is no such thing as a "wallet file", so there cannot feasibly be any way of creating an offline wallet. The accounts require securing once you log in by publishing your public key to the blockchain (issuing a transaction), so having a purely offline wallet doesn't make sense due to this either, as your account would not be totally secured if you were to deposit funds into it. The password system actually hooks you directly into the blockchain, and gets your balance information from it.

This means that you only ever have to safely store your password. Your computer could go up in flames and you'd never lose access to your accounts while you still have it.  You can access the client securely from any PC on any operating system - although obviously normal operational security applies - e.g., don't use a computer you don't trust not to be infected with viruses or keyloggers.

To open ports on your router, check out this site: http://portforward.com/

You don't need to forward the ports if you're not planning on running a hallmarked node though. And the wallet does have UPnP, so you shouldn't need to unless you're planning on opening up the service as a public API node at least.

EDIT: I think there has been some confusion, as you've been pointed to the port checker. You shouldn't NEED it, but if the wallet won't work without it then use portforward.com

Ask away with any questions you have, totally understood that it takes some learning to get used to using these Java based next gen cryptos.

Man, thank you so much for your kindness in responding with so much detail.  Will check out the link you posted to see if I can figure this out.  I am however trying to setup a "hallmarked node" in order to earn some coins so it is sounding like I do need to setup port forwarding.  Not being real knowledgeable with networking stuff, I am not even sure what the difference is between opening a port, forwarding a port or port triggering.  Actually never heard of port triggering until last night trying to set this up on my router:-)

Thanks again to all that have replied......a most welcoming community!
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Bitnation Development Team Member
October 15, 2014, 04:27:55 PM
Ok, so I just realized after downloading the full wallet, that I do in fact have the wallet.  I thought this was just for running the node and that there was a regular offline wallet, so I can only assume now that my problem is with the port not being opened properly on my router.

So there is no standard offline wallet in which we can store our coins then correct?

Yeah, there's a lot of confusion with next gen cryptocurrency clients. Something we have to work on over time.

There is no such thing as a "wallet file", so there cannot feasibly be any way of creating an offline wallet. The accounts require securing once you log in by publishing your public key to the blockchain (issuing a transaction), so having a purely offline wallet doesn't make sense due to this either, as your account would not be totally secured if you were to deposit funds into it. The password system actually hooks you directly into the blockchain, and gets your balance information from it.

This means that you only ever have to safely store your password. Your computer could go up in flames and you'd never lose access to your accounts while you still have it.  You can access the client securely from any PC on any operating system - although obviously normal operational security applies - e.g., don't use a computer you don't trust not to be infected with viruses or keyloggers.

To open ports on your router, check out this site: http://portforward.com/

You don't need to forward the ports if you're not planning on running a hallmarked node though. And the wallet does have UPnP, so you shouldn't need to unless you're planning on opening up the service as a public API node at least.

EDIT: I think there has been some confusion, as you've been pointed to the port checker. You shouldn't NEED it, but if the wallet won't work without it then use portforward.com

Ask away with any questions you have, totally understood that it takes some learning to get used to using these Java based next gen cryptos.
legendary
October 15, 2014, 04:14:30 PM
Ok, so I just realized after downloading the full wallet, that I do in fact have the wallet.  I thought this was just for running the node and that there was a regular offline wallet, so I can only assume now that my problem is with the port not being opened properly on my router.

legendary
October 15, 2014, 04:02:10 PM
Ok I seem to be more confused than I thought.

Trying to follow the instructions in the pdf for setting up a node.

Do I need to download a wallet or is only online wallet?

What steps exactly do I need to take to setup a node to earn coins with and have an offline wallet to store those coins safely?

Also, which wallet would I want to install?  Have PLENTY of disk space for the blockchain!

The wallet is a brain wallet, and your passphrase is your wallet.

http://nhzcrypto.org/threads/tutorial-how-to-create-a-hallmarked-node-and-also-run-a-local-client.403/

Use this walk through.
It takes about 2 minutes to set it up.

http://nhzcrypto.org/pages/wallet-downloads/

Download the full wallet.

Setup the node about an hour ago, says server has started.  Still nothing coming up when I check my IP so it looks like it is not working for me.  Am pretty sure I opened the port, have a new router Netgear Nighthawk R8000, it is called port triggering in the setup for this router.  I had to assign the IP address of the PC I am running the node on under this option as well.

Any ideas?

Check to see if the port is open here:
http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Thanks for that link!  I get this "Error: I could not see your service on 67.182.67.197 on port (7774)" so I guess my port is not actually open.  Not the best with networking stuff and have a brand new router so I am really guessing at how to "open a port" as I only see "port forwarding" and "port triggering" options in my router's settings.  I setup a port triggering for port 7774 and set the trigger for the IP address of the PC I am running the node on, not sure if this is correct but is where I am at now.  Router is a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 if anyone is familiar.
legendary
October 15, 2014, 03:59:01 PM

What steps exactly do I need to take to setup a node to earn coins with and have an offline wallet to store those coins safely?

Also, which wallet would I want to install?  Have PLENTY of disk space for the blockchain!

http://nhzcrypto.org/threads/tutorial-how-to-create-a-hallmarked-node-and-also-run-a-local-client.403/

Use this walk through.

Setup the node about an hour ago, says server has started.  Still nothing coming up when I check my IP so it looks like it is not working for me.  Am pretty sure I opened the port, have a new router Netgear Nighthawk R8000, it is called port triggering in the setup for this router.  I had to assign the IP address of the PC I am running the node on under this option as well.

Any ideas?
which wallet, client do you use?

It didn't sound like the wallet had to be installed for the node to work, assumed this would have been part of the instructions to setup the node so didn't think I needed to do that to get the node up.  Was gonna install the wallet after I got the node up and running as I thought the only purpose for that would be to store my coins in a safer place.  Guess I will install the full wallet now as it appears I am still not understanding something here.
legendary
October 15, 2014, 03:07:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FoMgDVTPL8&feature=youtu.be

Link for todays show / conversation about the importance of decentralization, NHZ, and creating blockchain and social ecosystems.

Will be calling in at approximately  3:30EST
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
October 15, 2014, 03:07:45 PM
The node bounty payments are currently a little behind. We are in control of this, and there is nothing to worry about. While the servers catch up with making node payments, some may show negative times until payout. This will be rectified when the payments are complete. Thank you for your patience.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1005
October 15, 2014, 02:01:59 PM
Is the script for bounty working? last bounty received was on 13th of October. Account NHZ-C9U3-SW9X-5WFG-DCN3T
legendary
October 15, 2014, 01:32:16 PM

Use this walk through.

Any ideas?

Check to see if the port is open here:
http://www.canyouseeme.org/
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
October 15, 2014, 11:55:17 AM
Hi guys, I need some help please. I'm trying to setup a node and I need to create my node hallmark but when I run the server and try to open 'localhost:7776/admin.html' in my browser, I'm getting 'error 404. not found.' Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

I had the same when trying to use NHZ_xxx_API but it works fine with the non API builds...

I think you might be able to just change nhz.myPlatform=API to ...=PC

Oh ok thanks! But where do I get the non api build from? I can't find any other download link for the node wallet on the site  Sad

I think the ones on the nhz forum are the best...

Yea but they don't have a non-api version on there. The node wallet download link points to the api build.

I'm pretty sure that when I got that error you are getting with 7776/admin I just tried the other one, the 'Full wallet', and now it works and I get my bounty... 

Yup you're right, I tried the 'Full wallet' instead of the 'node wallet' and it's now working ok Smiley Thanks for the help.
BTW was just wondering have you already completed a 24hr period and received the payout?

yup, a few.
Activity: 905
Merit: 1001
October 15, 2014, 10:45:06 AM
will NHZ update the code to the new NXT 1.3 version with all items stored in a database?
legendary
Activity: 1148
October 15, 2014, 10:44:58 AM
Hi guys, I need some help please. I'm trying to setup a node and I need to create my node hallmark but when I run the server and try to open 'localhost:7776/admin.html' in my browser, I'm getting 'error 404. not found.' Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

I had the same when trying to use NHZ_xxx_API but it works fine with the non API builds...

Oh ok thanks! But where do I get the non api build from? I can't find any other download link for the node wallet on the site  Sad

Yea but they don't have a non-api version on there. The node wallet download link points to the api build.

I'm pretty sure that when I got that error you are getting with 7776/admin I just tried the other one, the 'Full wallet', and now it works and I get my bounty... 

Yup you're right, I tried the 'Full wallet' instead of the 'node wallet' and it's now working ok Smiley Thanks for the help.
BTW was just wondering have you already completed a 24hr period and received the payout?
October 15, 2014, 09:57:43 AM
as long as your IPs don't change then you can accumulate 24hours total over multiple days...
Activity: 924
Merit: 520
October 15, 2014, 09:05:01 AM
can i run a node for only 14 hours per day?
October 15, 2014, 08:53:12 AM

Jump to: