Pages:
Author

Topic: 0.96.4 RC1 (Read 14215 times)

Activity: 525
Merit: 282
January 18, 2018, 06:59:33 PM
Should I install Bitcoin core wallet at the same time and allow it to download and sync the bitcoin core database?

Installing Core and letting it fully sync is mandatory.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
January 18, 2018, 06:41:37 PM
The PC is a brand new Acer with Windows 10 installed.  I reinstalled windows overnight and have reinstalled Armory 0.96.3.99 which now opens okay.  However, it remains offline and I do not know what it is doing, if anything, to get itself online.  I am just letting it remain open while I write this.  My PC has 700gb available on the hard drive.

Shall I just wait?  Should I install Bitcoin core wallet at the same time and allow it to download and sync the bitcoin core database?

Thanks, Alan
January 18, 2018, 05:26:13 PM
Which RC are you running? (RC3 is out.) Can you tell us more about your PC?
Activity: 5
January 18, 2018, 06:54:00 AM
Hello all, I have tried to install Armory on a new Windows 10 computer with Bitcoin Core v).15.1 (64 bit) running.  Bitcoin Core runs well but Armory 0.96.4 will not get past a runtime error and shutdown.  Have tried uninstalling and re-installing Armory but it just does not seem to want to run. Virus protection is Malwarebytes Premium.  I have never had Armory running on this computer before and plenty of disk space available.  Regards, Alan
Activity: 18
January 09, 2018, 06:25:03 PM
Replying to the multiple topics in this thread:  (for purpose of separating BCH from legacy BTC) and upgrading to the most recent workable versions of Armory (which will address and separate out BCH from legacy BTC).  

The last Armory transaction occurred on July 19, 2017 (pre fork) moving some pre-fork BTC between two different Armory 0.96.0.4 wallets (for the confirmation where that version of Armory had been successfully installed - with Bitcoin Core 0.14.2).  

The early summer 2017 successful install of BCCore 0.14.2 and Armory 0.96.0.4 seemed to have opposite sequence for successful sync (than the former 0.93.3) where the BC core 0.14.2 was synced first to itself; then Armory 0.96 (and subsequent 0.96.0.4) all easily synced to the full 0.14.2 bitcoin core database.

---

Present questions:

Now updating a friend's computer, which formerly had Armory 0.93.3 and an old Bitcoin core database.  Both of them fully deleted and scrubbed.  

Installed Armory 0.96.3 to his former off line computer, and also to his on line desktop (Win 10).  Installed the new Bitcoincore 0.15.1
database to the friend's desktop.  Per early summer 2017 experience I let the BC core 0.15.1 fully sync itself.  Armory 0.96.3 seems to
recognize that the database might be present, but does not sync properly to the 0.15.1 data base.  

All wallets successfully installed into the off line Armory 0.96.3 and watching only copies also indicate to the On Line Armory 0.96.3.  The 5 watching only On Line wallets have identified as "This Wallet Is Mine" (and where the on line Armory now correctly indicates Offline for Security).  Balance continues to indicate as zero for each of those wallets.  

Is there some other procedure needed to be performed for those wallets to indicate their balances and for Armory 0.96.3 to be fully synced to core datebase 0.15.1?  

---

2nd task regards separating the BCH in each of those wallets into a separate system.  Once the above Armory 0.96.3 is fully synced for all wallets, is it necessary to use an external hard drive (or other computer) and install the Bitcoin ABC database also with Armory 0.96.3 as the driver for that database? and from which one can separate out the BCH from each respective legacy BTC wallet?  (per some of the forum comments above).  

Thank you for your assistance.  

We're now into just square one of the separation process (installing the most recent versions of Armory with the most recent BC core databases).    

December 30, 2017, 07:58:45 PM
Hi guys. I am a newb to bitcoin armory. I hope you could please help me. I haven't used Armory since 2015 and I was using Bitcoin core 0.10 with Armory. I first tried rebuilding the Armory data base and block chain but that didn't work. After that i updated Armory to 0.96 and couldn't get it to work correctly so i update Bitcoin core to 0.15.1 After that it would crash on startup with a ArmoryDB.exe stopped error. I have tried updating Armory to 0.96.4 RC1 to work with Bitcoin core 0.15.1 and it crashes before Armory completely opens with a ArmoryQt.exe has stopped error. 

Delete your Armory database folder and try again. (Don't worry, deleting the DB won't affect your coins, although it will take awhile for Armory to rebuild the DB.)
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
December 30, 2017, 07:00:09 PM
Hey goatpig I found a strange bug in 0.96.1. Not sure if it's present in this version too. Here it is: I tried setting the fee to 218 sat/byte, but Armory would just set it to 21. It's not important, but just saying.

Thank you for your effort as always!
Activity: 1
December 30, 2017, 05:01:38 PM
Hi guys. I am a newb to bitcoin armory. I hope you could please help me. I haven't used Armory since 2015 and I was using Bitcoin core 0.10 with Armory. I first tried rebuilding the Armory data base and block chain but that didn't work. After that i updated Armory to 0.96 and couldn't get it to work correctly so i update Bitcoin core to 0.15.1 After that it would crash on startup with a ArmoryDB.exe stopped error. I have tried updating Armory to 0.96.4 RC1 to work with Bitcoin core 0.15.1 and it crashes before Armory completely opens with a ArmoryQt.exe has stopped error. 
December 28, 2017, 07:28:42 PM
I uninstalled both Bitcoin Core and Armory and then reinstalled Bitcoin core in its default path. I let them sync and now I can see my current BTC balance!

If I understand it correctly, my next step is to install Bitcoin ABC on an external harddrive and let it sync. I can then set the path of Armory to where those blocks are and I will se my current BCH balance? Or do I need to install and run another instance of Armory?

EDIT: And it looks like I remembered it completely wrong about the HDD space needed. I believe when I first got Armory (2014) the total space needed was 2 times the blockchain size, since armory took up the same amount of space. Now it looks like this is not the case (or maybe it wasn't ever like that, and I just remember it wrong)

1)Glad you can see your balance. Smiley

2)Basically. As mentioned before, copy the Core data and Armory data to the external drive, use command line pathing to get ABC to update the blockchain, and then use pathing on Armory (with ABC running) to access your coins under Armory.

3)You're right. My understanding of the progress of Armory was managing the blockchain directly in memory (all versions before 0.9), then using LevelDB to manage the blockchain (0.9-0.93.3), and then LMDB to manage the blockchain (0.94-present). You're probably thinking of LevelDB, where Armory basically replicated the blockchain, which would now be ~370 GB of data when combined with the blockchain. LMDB is much smarter and only uses ~1 GB on my setup (+ ~185 GB for the blockchain).
Activity: 28
December 28, 2017, 04:47:11 PM
I uninstalled both Bitcoin Core and Armory and then reinstalled Bitcoin core in its default path. I let them sync and now I can see my current BTC balance!

If I understand it correctly, my next step is to install Bitcoin ABC on an external harddrive and let it sync. I can then set the path of Armory to where those blocks are and I will se my current BCH balance? Or do I need to install and run another instance of Armory?

EDIT: And it looks like I remembered it completely wrong about the HDD space needed. I believe when I first got Armory (2014) the total space needed was 2 times the blockchain size, since armory took up the same amount of space. Now it looks like this is not the case (or maybe it wasn't ever like that, and I just remember it wrong)
December 28, 2017, 12:48:28 PM
Send the Bcash coins first. Cheaper fees, and they're the ones you want to move anyway.

I strongly disagree. Get the bitcoins disassociated and secure before messing around with the bcash (or any other altjunkairdropcoins).

Bcash does have some replay protection, and as long as you send the coins back to addresses you control, you can always import the private keys on the Core side if that somehow becomes necessary. Besides, if something goes wrong on the Core side and the coins can't be recovered (wrong address entered by accident or something), that's a tragedy. If Ver's crappy altcoins get burned, that would be a resaon to celebrate were usable fiat not involved. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009
December 28, 2017, 12:43:26 PM
Send the Bcash coins first. Cheaper fees, and they're the ones you want to move anyway.

I strongly disagree. Get the bitcoins disassociated and secure before messing around with the bcash (or any other altjunkairdropcoins).
December 28, 2017, 08:28:58 AM

You're welcome, and you're close. You should be able to copy your Core data and Armory data over to the external drive. (Make sure they're copies!) Cash should do a large reorg and reset the blockchain, downloading only the data starting from the split. The Armory wallets will work as-is but you'll want to use copies since the wallets themselves (and the Armory DB) will split once you use the coins.

Are you running Armory and Core at the same time? What exactly is happening?

This is what I was running up until yesterday.
I have 2 SSD:s, one 500GB with Windows etc. installed and one 250 GB with both Armory and Bitcoin Core installed.
The bitcoin core folder is about 160 GB and the Armory folder is not even 100 MB. I don't know how this works because if I've understood it correctly the Armory folder should be about as large as the bitcoin core folder (and it would not fit in my 250 GB SSD if that were the case). But somehow this was how it was installed before (I followed a thread here on Bitcointalk to make it work).
What I had to do before to access my bitcoins and send them:
1. Start bitcoin core and let it sync.
2. Without closing bitcoin core, start Armory and let that finish. Then I would see my BTC balance in Armory and could send my bitcoins wherever I wanted.
If I did it in any other way (i.e. starting Armory without first having Bitcoin Core opened) I would not see my BTC balance in Armory and could not do anything.

Yesterday I installed the newest version of Armory and when I do the exact same thing Armory gets stuck at "Preparing Databases" and nothing seems to happen. In the right corner it says offline and I can't see my current balance.

So I don't really have alot of Armory data, should I have it somewhere? Should it be about the same size as the bitcoin data (i.e. approx 160 GB)? If then, should I maybe uninstall both Bitcoin core and Armory and then maybe install Bitcoin core on my 500 GB drive and only Armory on my 250 GB drive and let them sync? (I have a fairly fast computer, i7 quad core) and 1 Gbit/s internet, so it should not take more than a day or two, right? I also have a armory paper wallet, so I should be able to retrieve my BTC, right?
I have an external HDD with 320 GB (is that enough or do I need more space?), should I install Bitcoin ABC on that one and copy the bitcoin core blockchain files into that folder and then let it sync?
If I start Armory and path it to the bitcoin core, then I would see my BTC balance, right?
And if I start Armory and path it to Bitcoin ABC then I would see my BCH balance, right? (or am I completely lost now?)
(Since the fork I have sold approx half of my BTC, but none of my BCH, so I should have different amount of them).

Yes, will do when I get it to work Smiley

No clue. Presumably a bug in the logging code somewhere. Don't worry, goatpig isn't after your coins. Smiley I can take a peek around the coins and see if I can figure out what's going on.
Okay thanks!

And thank you so much for your help! As you've probably understood by now, I'm quite the newbie and need very specific instructions Smiley
December 28, 2017, 05:59:15 AM
Thanks for your fast reply!
I think I might understand a little bit more what I need to do now.
I'll install Bitcoin ABC on an external HDD and let that sync until it's done. Then I'll set my Armory path to that external harddrive. Do I still need to delete some blocks then? According to the BCH network (or whatever it's called) I have not spent any BCH since the fork (even though I've spent BTC since the fork)?

You're welcome, and you're close. You should be able to copy your Core data and Armory data over to the external drive. (Make sure they're copies!) Cash should do a large reorg and reset the blockchain, downloading only the data starting from the split. The Armory wallets will work as-is but you'll want to use copies since the wallets themselves (and the Armory DB) will split once you use the coins.

I still can't see my current BTC balance,

Are you running Armory and Core at the same time? What exactly is happening?

would it be wise to first send my current BTC balance to another wallet so I don't fuck up, or is it literally completely impossible to fuck up?

I have one question about a line in the log file:
 "-INFO  - 09:44:27.000: (c:\users\goat\code\armory3\cppforswig\BDM_Server.h:263) Listening on port 9001"
I know goat is one of the developers of Armory, but is it trying to access his user or something? Because I of course don't have a user called goat on my computer.

No clue. Presumably a bug in the logging code somewhere. Don't worry, goatpig isn't after your coins. Smiley I can take a peek around the coins and see if I can figure out what's going on.
December 28, 2017, 04:57:34 AM
I’ve read the guide about claiming your BCH and if I understand it correctly I don’t need Bitcoin ABC, have I missunderstood the guide?

Yes. You need Bitcoin ABC (or Bitcoin Unlimited, although it crashes a lot last I checked) in order to access your Bcash coins.

If I understood it correctly this is what I have to do:
1. Update Armory to a version that has the BCH signer
2. Delete some blocks to somehow see the BCH balance I had at the time at the fork.
3. Send all those funds to a ”real” BCH wallet using the BCH signer.

1)Yes.
2)Yes, by using ABC or Unlimited. You'll want to follow the guide and use alternate paths in order to not wreck your regular Bitcoin Core setup. I believe this is covered in the guide.
3)Yes, or to an exchange so that you can sell them. Smiley

Thanks for your fast reply!
I think I might understand a little bit more what I need to do now.
I'll install Bitcoin ABC on an external HDD and let that sync until it's done. Then I'll set my Armory path to that external harddrive. Do I still need to delete some blocks then? According to the BCH network (or whatever it's called) I have not spent any BCH since the fork (even though I've spent BTC since the fork)?
I still can't see my current BTC balance, but when I've solved that (I updated bitcoin core to the newest version, and it looks like it doesn't say anything about another process listening on that port, but it still won't let me see my current balance), would it be wise to first send my current BTC balance to another wallet so I don't fuck up, or is it literally completely impossible to fuck up? (I'm sorry if I'm being paranoid, but since I'm a student with very little money I would rather not accidentally lose my BTC)

I have one question about a line in the log file:
 "-INFO  - 09:44:27.000: (c:\users\goat\code\armory3\cppforswig\BDM_Server.h:263) Listening on port 9001"
I know goat is one of the developers of Armory, but is it trying to access his user or something? Because I of course don't have a user called goat on my computer.

And again, thanks for your reply!
December 28, 2017, 04:08:15 AM
I’ve read the guide about claiming your BCH and if I understand it correctly I don’t need Bitcoin ABC, have I missunderstood the guide?

Yes. You need Bitcoin ABC (or Bitcoin Unlimited, although it crashes a lot last I checked) in order to access your Bcash coins.

2. Delete some blocks to somehow see the BCH balance I had at the time at the fork.

1)Yes.
2)Yes, by using ABC or Unlimited. You'll want to follow the guide and use alternate paths in order to not wreck your regular Bitcoin Core setup. I believe this is covered in the guide.
3)Yes, or to an exchange so that you can sell them. Smiley
December 28, 2017, 03:22:26 AM
Hello ConnyH,

Bitcoin Core will never ever follow the BCH chain (no matter which version). Replace Bitcoin Core temporarily with Bitcoin ABC and let that work as backend to Armory. Then you will be getting there.

EDIT1: And then move your BCH funds to a new wallet you create in a wallet that intends to support the future hard forks of BCH (e.g. Bitcoin ABC). Goatpig has made it clear, that he will not support Altcoins in Armory other than moving your hard-fork funds out of Armory wallets.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply!

Have you set Armory to specifically use port 9001? Mine uses a random-ish high port each launch and I'm fairly sure that is the default.
Either way, something is listening on port 9001, and ArmoryDB is trying to use that port too. As it says, it could be another ArmoryDB process that you would need to kill, or another program entirely.
If it is ArmoryDB, it is possible that it is choking on a bad DB, depending on which version you upgraded from, which is usually resolved with a rebuild and rescan.

Nope, I haven’t set Armory to specifically use that port. I don’t even know how to set Armory to use a specific port. How do I set Armory to use another port?
I will try with a rebuild and rescan! I will also try to update Core.
Thanks for your reply!

The user should read the guide to moving funds before proceeding. If nothing else, it'll tell them about pathing, which they'll need to worry about it they don't want Armory to be deeply confused whenever people switch between chains.

I’ve read the thread, but the problem is that I’m very new to this (I've had bitcoins in an Armory wallet for a couple of years, but never really did anything with them), so I barely understood anything.
Have I understood it correctly or am I completely lost?
Thanks for your reply!
December 27, 2017, 11:20:43 PM
Bitcoin Core will never ever follow the BCH chain (no matter which version). Replace Bitcoin Core temporarily with Bitcoin ABC and let that work as backend to Armory. Then you will be getting there.

The user should read the guide to moving funds before proceeding. If nothing else, it'll tell them about pathing, which they'll need to worry about it they don't want Armory to be deeply confused whenever people switch between chains.
Activity: 270
Merit: 36
December 27, 2017, 09:06:10 PM
EDIT3: Looking at the logs, this is what is says:
"Log file opened at 23:30:55.000: C:\Users\Bla\AppData\Roaming/Armory/dbLog.txt
-INFO  - 23:30:55.000: (..\main.cpp:32) Running on 8 threads
-INFO  - 23:30:55.000: (..\main.cpp:33) Ram usage level: 50
-INFO  - 23:30:55.000: (c:\users\goat\code\armory3\cppforswig\BDM_Server.h:263) Listening on port 9001
-ERROR - 23:30:55.016: (..\BDM_Server.cpp:1270) There is already a process listening on 127.0.0.1:9001
-ERROR - 23:30:55.016: (..\BDM_Server.cpp:1272) ArmoryDB cannot start under these conditions. Shutting down!
-ERROR - 23:30:55.016: (..\BDM_Server.cpp:1273) Make sure to shutdown the conflicting processbefore trying again (most likely another ArmoryDB instance)."
Have you set Armory to specifically use port 9001? Mine uses a random-ish high port each launch and I'm fairly sure that is the default.
Either way, something is listening on port 9001, and ArmoryDB is trying to use that port too. As it says, it could be another ArmoryDB process that you would need to kill, or another program entirely.
If it is ArmoryDB, it is possible that it is choking on a bad DB, depending on which version you upgraded from, which is usually resolved with a rebuild and rescan.

EDIT2: I'm also using bitcoin core 0.13.1, should I update?
Probably, yeah. I think Core will need to update the DB format so be prepared for that to take a little while.

Hello ConnyH,

EDIT1: And then move your BCH funds to a new wallet you create in a wallet that intends to support the future hard forks of BCH (e.g. Bitcoin ABC). Goatpig has made it clear, that he will not support Altcoins in Armory other than moving your hard-fork funds out of Armory wallets.
Depends on how they intend to split the BCH and the situation with UTXOs, but ABC isn't always required. All covered in the BCH thread, though.
Activity: 2
December 27, 2017, 07:17:45 PM
EDIT2: I'm also using bitcoin core 0.13.1, should I update?

Hello ConnyH,

Pages:
Jump to: