Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-06-13 Latest from FinCEN - page 6. (Read 6963 times)

legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
June 13, 2013, 07:05:06 PM
overall very positive.

they just want to regulate the exchanges.

users/miners unaffected.
+10

Did you guys even read it? This is a positive sign.
+10

i say this because they only care about the virtual FIAT exchanges. this does not mean mining pools have to start taking identification. this does not mean bitcoin-QT needs to have a registered usernames linked to birth certificates and such. its still all about the digital (on computer database balances of FIAT) such as mtgox/btc-e/bitstampt/vircurex/etc

remember the last fincen report
Convertible virtual currencies either have an
equivalent value in real currency or act as a substitute for real currency.

this means a digital database balance of 10.00 which represents a withdrawal equivalence of a $10 bank note. it has nothing to do with 0.09 bitcoins, 145 bunny rabbit credits, 10000 world of warcraft gold. etc.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Touchdown
June 13, 2013, 06:52:09 PM
Again, keep in mind the combined actions by the Department of Justice and FinCEN took down a $6 billion money laundering operation, the biggest in U.S. history.
Love the way they whoop whoop about this victory, when Standard Chartered ($250B) and HSBC ($680B) were basically too big to prosecute. Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
June 13, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
soooo is that the downplaying "ignore you" phase or the covert-cynical "laugh at you" phase or the passive aggressive "fight you" phase? Huh
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
June 13, 2013, 05:40:57 PM
In my eyes very negative as it still throws around "virtual currency administrators" without clarifying who they mean. Do they mean miners? Just the pools? None? Bitcoin-Qt devs? Any devs working on any Bitcoin software? Any user selling bitcoins for fiat??

Until they clearly say they'll leave everyone except exchanges alone I see this very negative for the short term.

Bankers and economists would need a mini-course to understand the word "decentralized".

But try to make them grasp the idea of money with no administrators, well the blood's on your hands...

[EDIT]
Removed embedded graphic image, replaced with link you can view if you want...
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3018/3050354749_8d2ce85f29_o.gif
[/EDIT]
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
June 13, 2013, 05:34:06 PM
From the beginning of the second page:

FinCEN ... reports to the Office of Terrorism ...

I know I'm hyperventilating, but I could never imagine they had the Office of Terrorism!!! Ouch! I mean should it read Anti-Terrorism?

Well, on the other hand, if you check out one of the recent threads
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ex-navy-seal-story-who-is-really-behind-terrorists-info-on-black-projects-231091
things will start to add up.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
June 13, 2013, 05:31:43 PM
In my eyes very negative as it still throws around "virtual currency administrators" without clarifying who they mean. Do they mean miners? Just the pools? None? Bitcoin-Qt devs? Any devs working on any Bitcoin software? Any user selling bitcoins for fiat??

Until they clearly say they'll leave everyone except exchanges alone I see this very negative for the short term.
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
June 13, 2013, 05:20:34 PM
overall very positive.

users/miners unaffected.

I read it a little differently. It sounds like they're claiming a wide territory:

Those who are intermediaries in the transfer of virtual currencies from one person to another person, or to another location, are money transmitters that must register with FinCEN as MSBs, unless an exception applies.

Sounds like the bitcoin community needs to crowd-fund and hire someone to Lobby for a Miner Exception!

Very quickly too, before they start making laws that ensure only businesses registered as MSBs can mine.

Activity: 280
June 13, 2013, 05:08:32 PM
Exactly... this is right out of the Nazi/Soviet Playbook.

The nice lady mentioned "exploitation of children" at least 4 separate times...
When Bitcoin has absolutely nothing to do with such evil.

US Govt: "Do whatever we say no matter how Draconian... or you favor "exploitation of children".

To be fair, it seems the event at which the speech was made was sponsored by the International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children (see second sentence of the speech) so of course she was tying this in to that theme.

You act like this was a coincidence... the entire speech was carefully staged.

As long as BTC is centered in Silicon Valley, USA...
With people like Gavin running the show...
Bitcoin is well on it's way to being neutered beyond recognition...
No wonder Satoshi quit and disappeared.

legendary
June 13, 2013, 05:01:12 PM

US Govt: "Do whatever we say no matter how Draconian... or you favor "exploitation of children".

To be fair, it seems the event at which the speech was made was sponsored by the International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children (see second sentence of the speech) so of course she was tying this in to that theme.

that's true.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
June 13, 2013, 04:51:50 PM
does this apply to miners? If so they are most definitely trying to kill bitcoin as the network security would be destroyed by such a regulation on miners.
Bitcoin will survive just fine even without any miners operating in the USA.
Activity: 431
Merit: 251
June 13, 2013, 04:44:16 PM

June 13, 2013, 04:32:30 PM
Disgusting as usual.
These apparatchiks are using the well-being of children as an argument to legitimize the immoral use force against innocent businesses and people who cannot afford millions to engage in legal Bitcoin businesses.

she mentioned the word "children" three times.

not one of the times did she try to tie exploitation of children to Bitcoin or virtual currencies in general.

In the 20th century people like you were called "useful idiots".
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
June 13, 2013, 04:29:18 PM
overall very positive.

users/miners unaffected.

I read it a little differently. It sounds like they're claiming a wide territory:

Those who are intermediaries in the transfer of virtual currencies from one person to another person, or to another location, are money transmitters that must register with FinCEN as MSBs, unless an exception applies.

Right, an intermediary, or a third party is a money transmitter.  A miner moving Bitcoin to an exchange has no middleman.  A miner purchasing goods directly from a store uses no third party.  It's the intermediary that has to register, not the miner.
legendary
June 13, 2013, 04:24:45 PM
Disgusting as usual.
These apparatchiks are using the well-being of children as an argument to legitimize the immoral use force against innocent businesses and people who cannot afford millions to engage in legal Bitcoin businesses.

she mentioned the word "children" three times.

not one of the times did she try to tie exploitation of children to Bitcoin or virtual currencies in general.
Activity: 476
June 13, 2013, 04:23:04 PM
and what else can you reasonably expect them to do about the exchanges? 

I don't think reason has much to do with it. Fastcash4bitcoins was shut down for merely buying coins, not for exchanging them.

I don't think the Feds have much of a clue what to do so they're doing the only thing they know how to do: exert authority willy-nilly until the problem is subdued.
Activity: 260
June 13, 2013, 04:21:33 PM
Yes, I read it.  I thought it ended abruptly.  The take away is that virtual currencies are here and becoming more prevalent.  Virtual currencies are under our domain of control.  Bitcoin is on par with Liberty Reserve.  Now let's adjourn for our closed-door meeting where the agenda is What to do with bitcoin.
June 13, 2013, 04:21:06 PM
Disgusting as usual.

legendary
June 13, 2013, 04:19:15 PM
overall very positive.

users/miners unaffected.

yes, but she says flat out that users can buy goods or services w/o any restrictions.  that, at least, allows the economy to keep growing.

and what else can you reasonably expect them to do about the exchanges?  whether or not they'll be able to enforce this overseas is another matter.
June 13, 2013, 04:16:20 PM

It's never positive when the government puts its eye on your business.
June 13, 2013, 04:15:35 PM
overall very positive.

users/miners unaffected.

Pages:
Jump to: