Pages:
Author

Topic: 2^256 Deep Space Vagabond - page 12. (Read 38663 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
September 09, 2012, 05:33:33 AM
just a warning.... don't run random executables linked on this forum...  Shocked

Sure, sound advice!

I do guarantee that this app does no malicious things, but I agree that
to be on the safe side in general, either run executables in a secure virtual
machine or sandbox (such as Sandboxie) or compile them from the source.

The (quite short, exactly 75 lines!) source code for this app will be released soon. I need to clean it up a little and make it more readable - it's still a little messy right now.

Very cool Project, even though of course it's a bit 'pointless'. What happens when (as in before the sun dies out) you find a non-zero balance? Also- does it support GPU's? :-)
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016
September 09, 2012, 04:46:06 AM
just a warning.... don't run random executables linked on this forum...  Shocked

Sure, sound advice!

I do guarantee that this app does no malicious things, but I agree that
to be on the safe side in general, either run executables in a secure virtual
machine or sandbox (such as Sandboxie) or compile them from the source.

The (real short, exactly 75 lines more like 400 now) source code for this app will be released soon. I need to clean it up a little and make it more readable - it's still a little messy right now.  

[EDIT] see top post
legendary
Activity: 1222
Live and Let Live
September 09, 2012, 04:28:21 AM
just a warning.... don't run random executables linked on this forum...  Shocked
legendary
September 09, 2012, 04:14:35 AM
[reserved]
legendary
September 09, 2012, 04:09:04 AM
This is my new pet/toy project! It's a (mostly) ASCII screensaver, made for those who still don't get how insanely large 2^256 is and want to get a first-hand feel of the sheer size of the Bitcoin keyspace, in a somewhat fun way...

The Deep Space Vagabond will slowly crawl through the 2^256 keyspace for addresses with non-zero balances!  OK, you probably have much better odds finding extraterrestrial life or winning the Powerball 5 times in a row than stumbling upon such an address, but hey, who knows? Why not see if you're the luckiest kid in the universe? And also, this is FREE! Smiley

Although there is no help file or documentation at this stage, it is extremely easy to use - most stuff is automatic: just watch and hold your breath... Smiley

Latest release: Version 1.475 for Win 2000/XP/Vista/7 (955KB, February 2013)

Download - VT Scan - SHA1: 3d05a6979ea6691c52b7461acf724a52beb18ed1

!!A word of warning on downloading Windows executables!!

It's highly recommended not to blindly download random executables from the WWW.
I do guarantee that this app does no malicious things, but my recommendation for optimal security on Windows is to either run new executables in a sandbox (such as Sandboxie) or virtual machine or, for the technically-oriented, compile them from the source code when available.

Source code:

After carefully considering whether to open source it or not, I have decided to only make the source code to the initial Python-based (command-line) prototype freely available to all.
However, the full source code to the current version is available on donation only (amount TBD).

Installation: (Windows-only for now)

Just download and launch. It should run out of the box, there are no particular runtime requirements and no admin rights are needed.

Credits:

Design and coding: flatfly
Startup screen logo: turbomilk
Uses some features of vanitygen by samr7 and curl by Dirk Paehl.
Fetches balance data from the blockchain.info API or a local bitcoind + ABE installation.
Pages:
Jump to: