Pages:
Author

Topic: [*] 8BIT [Dark Masternodes][Anon][Roadmap Stage 4] - page 8. (Read 379544 times)

Activity: 670
Merit: 130
PLS where is link to download win wallet? Grin

He stated in the bottom of his message that he will post it later.

From what i understand he had to do a loooot of work due to old code and not only fixing the code but make it more "readable" (cleaner) so that if anyone wishes to continue this project could do it without spending ours figuring out what the code actually says/makes.

Thank you very very much brakmic !!!

Do you plan to take over and continue developing this? like changing me mn collateral etc. ?
Activity: 480
Merit: 250
PLS where is link to download win wallet? Grin
Activity: 461
Merit: 13
Hi, 8bit fans!

The Windows variant is now available as well.

I am not sure if the original variant had QR-Code functionality enabled, because the configuration file itself looked like it was disabled. But, maybe I am mistaken here. In any case, QR-Codes are available in the Windows variant.

A few words on what the way to the final Win32 binary looked like:

It was a lengthy process as it required several cleanups, language standard adaptations and some bug fixes in code and build scripts. There were also a few pesky compiler problems as MinGW (the windows GCC toolchain) exists in several variants that have different exception handling. They're called "dwarf", "sjlj" and "ceh" but of course one has first to find out which one fits best and what kind of compiler is being shipped by Qt, the UI framework. Also, I had to compile all the needed libs manually and with the correct compiler version. Sometimes is was pretty straightforward, but more often it was a brutal trial & error enterprise.

And as already mentioned in the posting on the macOS version the C++ code had to be C++17 conform. C++17 is the latest standard which and is widely supported by the usual vendors: Microsoft, Apple, GNU/Linux etc.

However, I stumbled upon some really nasty bugs like collisions with the new "std::byte" class which some decade-old C++ includes from Microsoft provoked. In the macOS variant there were no such errors, because there is no Microsoft where Apple is and vice versa. But I couldn't allow a single code base to get split only because of some archaic include files! So, debugging, debugging, ... and debugging.

Also, the inconsistent usage of "using namespace std;" throughout the source code led not only to a problematic "namespace pollution" but also very often to collisions regarding function & class names. When you mix & match things liberally they'll sooner or later go after you to bite you in the neck. Such problems could only be solved manually and line by line. Around 70% of files were changed this way. Yes, a tedious journey but this has made the current source code compilable under the most modern compilers which also means that one can start to plan a proper upgrading of the code base. First, make it clean then make it better.

All in All, the binary is working fine and in the next hours or so I will be preparing a release and then come back with a new posting.

Here the full commit on GitHub.

Have fun and...

Activity: 480
Hi,

I have forked 8bit's code and made these changes:

* Updated the C++ code to C++17 standard
* Accept newer versions of miniUPNPC
* Updated to Boost 1.69
* Fixed a bug that provoked crashes at application start (at least on my macOS Mojave)
* Fixed several warnings with forced casting and incompatible comparisons
* Slightly changed the font size to make it look better on macOS (and hopefully on other Systems as well)

GitHub Changelog

Here's the compiled app for macOS in case some of you would like to try it out.

I will also try to compile a Windows variant, but I am not sure if it'll work. Well, I can try it at least  Grin

In case you are wondering why I am doing this the answer is simple: I know about this project for a few years but I have never managed to get in contact with the dev (or devs?). The idea to have a cryptocurrency with 8bit-theme is something that 80es/90es kids could hardly ignore. And because today I had some free time I decided to make a few changes to this wallet, just to see if I can make it work under my Mac.

The masternodes part seems to be based on Darkcoin (that is, Dash) so there is at least a theoretical possibility to make a few updates to make the wallet more modern.

And just in case you have some spare 8bit coins here's my address: 8JLMhnAk2koajGDjbyTREkEQXunBTuPMRX ... thanks!

Have fun!

I would like to have windows wallet, I have a problem with compiling linux.
hi mate !!

thanks a lot for your work !!  Grin

Hi,

You're welcome.  Smiley

Quote from: Pon13

its good to see that someone is willing to reboot this.
Can you write some instruction on how to follow your fork?
Is there a linux wallet? How come and you started with a MacOS wallet?

My fork can be cloned just like any other repo so there are no extra things to be done.

Just do this on the console or with one of those graphical Git-tools:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/brakmic/8bit-reboot.git

Then compile with a modern C++ compiler. Most of the commercial operating systems and variants of Linux already ship a good C++ compiler so there will be no problems with compilation. Under Windows I will try to compile the stuff with MinGW32 & Mingw64.

A linux wallet should be compilable with GCC, but this is dependent on the Linux distro one uses. The QT environment can be installed on any Linux for free so it should be no problem to install it together with the needed libs like boost, miniupnpc and then execute:

Code:
qmake
make

However, there won't be a "general Linux wallet" that one could simply install like on Windows or Mac.

One more hint: when compiling the wallet do not use the standard libsecp256k1 but instead the one I provided in the README of 8bit. This variant can be linked with 8bit's wallet.

----------

Now to answer your question why I did it on a Mac first:

Well, because it's often the hardest platform to get right. Dealing with Macs has given me some wonderful scars that look like abstract art painted in my face  Grin
hi mate !!

thanks a lot for your work !!  Grin

its good to see that someone is willing to reboot this.
Can you write some instruction on how to follow your fork?
Is there a linux wallet? How come and you started with a MacOS wallet?

Hi,

I have forked 8bit's code and made these changes:

* Updated the C++ code to C++17 standard
* Accept newer versions of miniUPNPC
* Updated to Boost 1.69
* Fixed a bug that provoked crashes at application start (at least on my macOS Mojave)
* Fixed several warnings with forced casting and incompatible comparisons
* Slightly changed the font size to make it look better on macOS (and hopefully on other Systems as well)

GitHub Changelog

Here's the compiled app for macOS in case some of you would like to try it out.

I will also try to compile a Windows variant, but I am not sure if it'll work. Well, I can try it at least  Grin

In case you are wondering why I am doing this the answer is simple: I know about this project for a few years but I have never managed to get in contact with the dev (or devs?). The idea to have a cryptocurrency with 8bit-theme is something that 80es/90es kids could hardly ignore. And because today I had some free time I decided to make a few changes to this wallet, just to see if I can make it work under my Mac.

The masternodes part seems to be based on Darkcoin (that is, Dash) so there is at least a theoretical possibility to make a few updates to make the wallet more modern.

And just in case you have some spare 8bit coins here's my address: 8JLMhnAk2koajGDjbyTREkEQXunBTuPMRX ... thanks!

Have fun!
Activity: 367
Merit: 255
Activity: 394
Merit: 100
Can I download Linux wallet on my Linux mint?
Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
windows wallet? Huh
Where can I find link for linux wallet?
Thank you.

you have to compile it. there is a guide some pages ago.
Tank you .
Thank you.

you have to compile it. there is a guide some pages ago.
legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073
Thank you.

It doesn't make much sense to publish Linux wallet, as it wont work on your specific Linux system most probably, unless it is compiled on exactly similar Linux flavour/version, or compiled statically.

Its better to compile it yourself right on your system: https://github.com/8bit-dev/8bit
Thank you.
Cryptopia.nz is ok .
Wallet status ok.
And there are the nodes.
 addnode=5.103.138.97:18888
addnode=81.162.194.236:18888
addnode=31.14.142.42:9999
addnode=54.36.5.80:7999
Why YOBIT WALLET 8BIT MAINTENANCE  Huh
So many wallet on YOBIT in maintenance...
thats yobit.
Activity: 340
Why YOBIT WALLET 8BIT MAINTENANCE  Huh
Please give me the last compiled workbook for 8-bit under Windows 64.

Windows wallet does not work. If you want to run a MN or Stake you can do it only in linux.
Bear in mind that this project has no dev therefore no actual development is happening here.

the sad part is that network is running smoothly....while we wait for some non malevolent person to take over (funny i know  Grin ).
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
Please give me the last compiled workbook for 8-bit under Windows 64.
Pages:
Jump to: