Pages:
Author

Topic: [9 TH] Bitparking Pool, DGM 0%,vardiff,stratum,Merge Mining - page 63. (Read 163780 times)

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
Can you explain the prolonged low luck? Over a period between Jan 17 to May 1, blockchain.com shows pool luck at 60 percent. Statistically this just doesn't seem likely.

While I can't answer probability for the luck figures:  The sample size is VERY small (48 blocks).  There's also no guarantee Bitcoinchain has properly credited all of bitparking's blocks (doublec could answer that though).
Activity: 711
Merit: 500
Can you explain the prolonged low luck? Over a period between Jan 17 to May 1, blockchain.com shows pool luck at 60 percent. Statistically this just doesn't seem likely.

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
Re: the above: Are you willing to reconsider, since you now have DGM enabled?
The process of paying transaction fees is almost as tricky with DGM. I don't know of any DGM pools that pay it - are there any? It's still on my radar to investigate though.

Ozcoin pays transaction fees with their DGM method.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
The process of paying transaction fees is almost as tricky with DGM. I don't know of any DGM pools that pay it - are there any? It's still on my radar to investigate though.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
Sorry, I have not read the whole thread. Does this pool share the tx fees with the miners?
No, it does not share the tx fees. The process of doing this is tricky for PPS pools that pay out before the block is found.
I'm sorry to hear about the attack and well done on preventing it!

Activity: 81
Merit: 10
Thanks doublec, can confirm I can connect back to pool.
Activity: 82
Hi, doublec

You switched all to DGM ?
I see than nothing was earned by miner during the night.

When do you switch back to PPS ?

legendary
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

A social engineering hack attempt was attempted on the bitparking server this morning. The attacker attempted to convince my hosting site that they were me, and successfully gained access to the customer service portal. They used this to raise support requests to gain access to the server. No access to the server itself was available through the portal and they did not succeed in gaining access to the server as I was able to communicate to the hosting provider about what was going on.

The attacker registered a domain name, "chrisdouble.co.nz", as part of the social engineering attempt to gain access. This domain name is not owned or affiliated with me. If anyone attempts to contact you regarding bitparking services you should be wary that this may be a social engineering attempt. I can be reached on the bitparking Bitmessage address shown at the bottom of the pool's main page if you want to confirm my identity. My GPG fingerprint is also available on the bitcoin otc and I can sign messages with GPG to confirm information if you need confirmation messages are from me.

Some bitparking services are currently disabled while I deal with cleaning up issues related to the attack and tighten some things up. Most notably the PPS servers are offline and traffic is being redirected to the DGM servers. The bitparking hot wallet is at the bare minimum needed to service DGM blocks as they arrive. My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you use other bitcoin services be aware that they may be targets of similar social engineering attacks. At least one other pool, BTCGuild, has had an attempt using the same method and you can read about that in their thread.

The attacker in my case attempted to pass off that they were the 'toil' or 'Josh Rogers' identity that was possibly involved in the OzCoin hack so it's possible these are done by the same party.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
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=M3rf
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
legendary
Activity: 3657
Merit: 1448
I cant mine on pool ATM not even on DGM.
Also couldn't connect to the pool until a couple of minutes ago,
seems to be back on now though, at least i'm currently connected to mmpool.bitparking.com:4333.

Hopefully problems are fixed.
Activity: 81
I cant mine on pool ATM not even on DGM.
legendary
In the meantime, pool is up with one dgm server running while I resolve these issues and attempt to bring the others online.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Someone is currently trying to break into the pool server via social engineering with my hosting provider. I'm working on it and in discussion with my hosting provider.

Time for a clever honeypot.  Go Cuckoo's Egg on them.  Hack the hackers, like a Boss.
legendary
If anyone receives email from chrisdouble.co.nz, domain registered today, that is not me.
legendary
Someone is currently trying to break into the pool server via social engineering with my hosting provider. I'm working on it and in discussion with my hosting provider.
legendary
Pool is back up but the PPS servers are having issues. I've temporarily redirected them to DGM while I investigate.

Edit: And we're down again, sigh. I'll comment here when we're stable.
legendary
Pool is back up now.

Edit: And we're down again. Investigating.
legendary
Houston, we have a problem.
Crashed bitcoind. I'm in the process of restarting it.
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
Houston, we have a problem.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
I'm following the logic up to the point where the hopper leaves the pool. (if the pool finds a block before he leaves everyone wins). Now assuming he's left... hash rate decreases... hopper has generated a large amount of shares...

I'm still not seeing how it decreases the chance of finding a block for the pool...  lets do some mental math here...

If he leaves, he'll get paid for whatever shares he did submit while he was mining. The shares he submitted 3 hours ago before leaving (if no block has been found yet) have the same value as someone else who was also mining at the same speed/difficulty/etc and stuck around and didn't leave. Your mining right now does not change the value of the shares you submitted 3 hours ago.

So an average round, you have 15% of the total shares going to the hopper, and 85% of them going to the normal miners.
3.75 btc to hoppers.
21.25 btc to miners.
In the average case miners lose 15% of the reward for the block to the hoppers.

No reward has been "lost". The hoppers put in 15% of the work and got 15% of the reward. That's totally fine.

Case of extremely lucky round:
2 blocks back to back (and we'll even say 10 mins before that second block is found).
Total shares for hoppers     : 6,000,000,000 shares
Total shares for legit miners :     60,000,000 shares
so on this round the 1% of the shares are going to non-hoppers with 99% going to hoppers - who then probably stay at the pool until some other pool finds a block.
25.75 to hoppers.
0.25 btc to miners.

Again in this example they got their fair share. No problem.

Case of extremely bad luck:

Takes 9 days to find the block.

Total shares for hoppers at pool over 10 mins  :     6,000,000,000 shares
Total shares for legit miners over the 4.5 days :   77,760,000,000 shares

7% of shares to hoppers, 93% to miners.
23.25 btc to miner
1.75 btc to hoppers

What you are ignoring here is that the hoppers leave when the round goes long, not before. On average, a full time miner who never leaves will see short and long term blocks and it'll all average out so they get block reward * 1/D reward per share submitted. But a hopper rocks the boat by only mining until a round goes long. So on short rounds he gets paid more than B * 1/D since the total of total shares was < D. In long rounds he gets his proportional share except he abandoned ship when total shares submitted so far = D, so the miners left are mining with a block round going down on each new share submitted but the hopper is over on some other short pool mining at a per share value that is high.

There are threads dedicated on "how to hop" most profitably. Worth a read if you aren't seeing why hoppers in proportional pools hurt loyal miners who never leave.

My only point with all this is that it doesn't really hurt the legitimate miners in any real way, given the differences between their actually hashing and the inflated estimation of hoppers (2 orders of magnitude). Yes they lose in average round 15% of income - which they could just as well lose if the pool grows to 115gh/s --- while the pool loses the added income from more short rounds.

Nothing is lost in the average round. The hoppers put in X% work and got paid X% of the reward. As it should be. Hoppers don't care about the average case, they want to benefit from the short blocks while leaving loyal miners to work off the less profitable final shares of a long block. This is why some types of PPS systems (SMPPS, RBPPS, etc) end up collapsing. Too few people will work on the shares needed to finish the current block when their reward for doing so is less than mining someplace else. CPPSRB is one method of solving that specific issue by paying most recent miners first, so if you keep mining you'll get paid the full PPS value and there's no incentive to abandon the pool.

So all you're really doing is limiting the potential benefits to the proportional pool of the occasional botnet or high hash rate hoppers hitting it.

The only "benefit" is finding blocks faster, which doesn't increase earnings to loyal miners because they are the ones mining alone in long rounds when the expected reward of each new share they submit is less than B * 1/D since the total number of shares submitted is already over D.

If you prefer pools that can be hopped or you prefer to hop yourself that's fine. You have the freedom to do so. It just bugs me to see people misrepresent systems like DGM by claiming it does the opposite of what it really does.
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
The hopping discussion has been done to death and it isn't really relevant to the thread.

In short, if you want to pool hop, and a pool you used to hop isn't friendly to that anymore too bad, so sad.
Pages:
Jump to: