Pages:
Author

Topic: A Public Plea for Civility - page 3. (Read 4907 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 24, 2012, 04:58:41 PM
Activity: 306
Merit: 250
Donations: http://tny.im/nx
August 24, 2012, 04:50:42 PM
I completely agree with your post.
When the media does research on the Bitcoin subject (and unfortunately, much of that research nowadays consists on a Google search which never sees the second half of the first page, plus a quick reading of some Wikipedia article), they'll find the biggest Bitcoin forum, and the idea they get of it will be the one that's transmitted to other people.

I've even read on a magazine published in my country that Bitcoins are hard to buy (this, on a story about Armory). Said that way and on that story, it only makes Bitcoin seem more and more obscure, not something you'd expect to pay your things with at the supermarket in a few years, for example.

"In other words, they find exactly what the media told them to expect."
So perhaps we should start by changing the perception the media gets, so people will expect something else as told by the media?
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
August 24, 2012, 04:19:32 PM
open forums are headless monsters.

it just do what it do.
Activity: 437
Merit: 415
1ninja
August 24, 2012, 04:16:08 PM
+1
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
August 24, 2012, 04:09:18 PM
New users are restricted to reduce the number of sock-puppets. However, the best description of this forum I have seen is that "even the trolls have trolls."

Bitcoin is also a currency with irreversible transactions. This makes it a magnet for scammers. It is understandable that people will be cautious after being burned one or more times (and want to warn others to be cautious).

I don't really have any way out to suggest though. The official bitcoin project distanced itself from the forum over a year ago. I think moderators moving threads probably helps clean up the forum quite a bit, but I mainly browse the main discussion section out of habit.

Activity: 518
August 24, 2012, 04:08:26 PM
I have to agree about the BS&T thing, and it happens on other topics too. There will be multiple threads about the same topic. People, please just reply in the relevant topic, starting a new one just clutters up the forum and makes it harder to find relevant information.
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
August 24, 2012, 03:53:57 PM
+1

Make it a "must read" for the newbees and a few of the oldbees as well.

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
August 24, 2012, 03:51:50 PM
Binary excellent post. I couldn't agree more about your Xenophobia theory (9VIII. Xenophobia).  I don't know how you solve human nature maybe its worth bringing in professionals who know how to solve these sort of things?

For a lot of us we help curate this forum and it does seem an odd number of problems you mentioned above.
Activity: 560
Ad astra.
August 24, 2012, 03:44:59 PM

I. Introduction

Over the past few months, I've observed a general trend on this forum that I think is rather disturbing. We have always disagreed and debated on a vast variety of subjects, but more and more often of late those debates seem to turn into or in some cases start as nothing but 'flame wars', to use the colloquial term. This forum, once a reasonable facsimile of a haven for intellectual and civil discussion, has mutated into a wasteland of mud-slinging, baseless accusations, fear-mongering, utterly nonsensical FUD, mob mentalities, and worst of all, xenophobia. This is most pronounced in the Marketplace and associated sub-forums, but seems to be permeating throughout the extent of these boards.

II. Why The Marketplace Matters

Some of you probably avoid the Marketplace altogether, and wonder if it really matters. Regardless of where you prefer to spend your time, the fact remains that Bitcoin is a currency. Trade is necessary for both a healthy economy and, perhaps more importantly, recruitment of new users.

III. Mud-slinging

We all disagree with each other. If we didn't, we'd have nothing to talk about. But disagreement does not have to translate into insults.
Ad hominem reasoning not only fails to provide any result of worth for either involved party; it poisons the general topic of discussion and makes the thread useless for any future or current readers. One simple insult can create multiple threads of incoherent flaming.

IV. Baseless Accusations

These threads tend to sound like tabloid articles. Inciting headlines, extravagant claims, and no logical evidence whatsoever to back them up. If you have a serious accusation and want results, please make a factual claim and back it up (Example). Factual and civil trade disagreement threads have a much higher rate of resolution. Remember, whether the counterparty is a scammer or not, they are a human being, and a successful dispute resolution is much more likely if you treat them like one.

V. Fear-mongering

This sometimes goes hand-in-hand with the above, but sometimes not insomuch an accusation as chaos-inciting content, often simply links to other threads with an eye-catching title attached. First of all, we do not need multiple different threads to discuss the same thing. Second, if you're going to make extravagant claims, at least take the time to make them yourself.

VI. Utterly Nonsensical FUD

Also known as spam. I receive quite enough of this in my email inbox. If you don't have anything useful or intelligent to post, don't post. It's as simple as that.

VII. Mob Mentalities

Also known as the 'exponential thread growth problem'. Don't take what other people say at face value, and don't simply repeat other's sentiments. All of you have something unique to contribute to discussions. Contribute it!

VIII. Xenophobia

This one concerns me the most, as I think it could have far-reaching implications. Most people who read about Bitcoin and come here have read almost ubiquitously negative press discussing drugs, Ponzi schemes, and ever-imminent collapse. They decided to take a chance and investigate for themselves. What do they find? A community which refuses to do business with anyone relatively new. A community filled with animosity. Half the forums polluted with allegations of Ponzi schemes. In other words, they find exactly what the media told them to expect. Their conclusion? The media is right. Do we really want to embody what the media portrays us as?

IX. Addendum: BS&T

First of all, I will admit that I am most certainly not an unbiased observer. I did my research and invested into BS&T. I have no factual conclusion as to whether it is a Ponzi or not, nor do I think I have enough expertise to surmise a claim. But, regardless of whether BS&T is a ponzi, an innocent company investing in third-world medical care, or an elaborate hoax conceived by Bernie Madoff's hitherto unknown twin, endlessly fretting and arguing about it will accomplish nothing whatsoever.

Those of you with convinced BS&T is a Ponzi scheme, I'm glad you're being cautious with investment. Please refrain from starting hundreds of separate threads stating nothing new whatsoever. Perhaps it is a scam, perhaps not. I know some of you have far superior wisdom which you are ever eager to share, but us mere mortals are still capable of intelligent analysis and decision-making. If BS&T truly is a Ponzi, somehow I suspect we will notice.

X. Conclusion

I'm just some nameless forum member writing another rant, albeit perhaps not on one of the usual subjects. All I ask is that you read and think upon it. Perhaps this won't make any difference. But it certainly wouldn't have if I didn't write it.

Best regards,
BinaryMage
Pages:
Jump to: